PDA

View Full Version : How was Family Matters a spinoff from Perfect Strangers?

TVFactFan
09-06-2002, 11:16 PM
I was wondering how was Family matters a spinoff from perfect strangers. I know harriet was a character on perfect strangers but that doesn't tell me anything. Usually there is a pilot episode featured on the parent show before the characters have their own show. If anyone was a perfect strangers watcher, let me know how family matters was created.

Sean Snow
09-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Even if there isn't a episode where they move on, its' still a spinoff. The entire point of FM was to show Harriett's home life, they wouldn't need a transition episode for that. And even if they did need one, its' still a spinoff because Harriett originated on "Perfect Strangers". ANd shouldn't this be on the Spinoffs board?

alf8mycat
09-07-2002, 04:28 AM
I wanted to say it was a spin off in the same way that the show Mat LeBlanc got after he played a character on Married With Children once, but Harriet was a regular character on Perfect Strangers, and Matt's character was a one time deal I think.

Family Matters was a spin off, because it was a show spun off from Perfect Strangers that was about a character on the show. That's how most spin offs work anyways right?

TVFactFan
09-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by alf8mycat
I wanted to say it was a spin off in the same way that the show Mat LeBlanc got after he played a character on Married With Children once, but Harriet was a regular character on Perfect Strangers, and Matt's character was a one time deal I think.

Family Matters was a spin off, because it was a show spun off from Perfect Strangers that was about a character on the show. That's how most spin offs work anyways right?

Well i just found out that family matters was a spinoff from PS but Family never made any reference back to PS. And then I saw no transition from PS to FM. I was looking to see if there was a hint to the viewing public that the character harriet was spinning into her own series. But i saw no type of transition, I guess Family Matters was a spinoff with no transition from PS which is why i never knew these two shows were connected.

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Reginald VelJohnson guest starred on PS as Carl in a season 4 eps, a few months later they got they're own spin-off show with FM.

Stuck In The '70's
04-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Reginald VelJohnson guest starred on PS as Carl in a season 4 eps, a few months later they got they're own spin-off show with FM.
Yea that was really the pilot episode because it introduced Harriets Husband.

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Was Harriette really supposed to be the star though? Because Reginald VelJohnson's name is the first name we see in the opening credits, not Jo Marie Payton.

Stuck In The '70's
04-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Was Harriette really supposed to be the star though? Because Reginald VelJohnson's name is the first name we see in the opening credits, not Jo Marie Payton.
I think they were both supposed to be the stars. Maybe they thought Reginald Vel Johnson was a bigger name having just appeared in Die Hard. I don't know. I think as the show went on he was the more important star because of his scenes with Steve.

TVFactFan
04-24-2005, 02:46 PM
There should havebeen a crossover episode between FM and PS since both shows were connected and based in the same city.

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Another thing is that most of the time when a character gets their own spin-off, their name is in the title of the show(The Jeffersons,Maude,Gloria,The Ropers,Rhoda,Phyllis,LouGrant,Fish,Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C,The Andy Griffith Show,Tabitha,Hello Larry,Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi, Archie Bunker's Place, and so on) but Harriette's name isn't in the title, it's not like they called it "Harriette's Family" or something.

TVFactFan
04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Another thing is that most of the time when a character gets their own spin-off, their name is in the title of the show(The Jeffersons,Maude,Gloria,The Ropers,Fish,Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C,The Andy Griffith Show,Tabitha,Hello Larry,Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi, Archie Bunker's Place, and so on) but Harriette's name isn't in the title, it's not like they called it "Harriette's Family" or something.

Or "The Winslows"-lol

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 05:18 PM
It is kind of hard to believe that FM is a spin-off because:

1. Harriette's 1st/last name isn't in the title
2. Harriette isn't the star
3. Jo Marie Payton's name isn't listed 1st in opening credits
4. no crossover eps with any PS characters
5. no pilot eps from PS

Another thing, did you guys know that 2 PS cast members(not characters) guest starred on FM, Melanie Wilson was the 1st, she guest starred in a season 7 eps, and Mark-Linn Baker was the 2nd, he guest starred in a season 9 eps, the interesting thing is that he played a character that would fire Harriette from her job. On PS, Baker and Payton played characters that worked together.

Stuck In The '70's
04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
It is kind of hard to believe that FM is a spin-off because:

1. Harriette's 1st/last name isn't in the title
2. Harriette isn't the star
3. Jo Marie Payton's name isn't listed 1st in opening credits
4. no crossover eps with any PS characters
5. no pilot eps from PS

Another thing, did you guys know that 2 PS cast members(not characters) guest starred on FM, Melanie Wilson was the 1st, she guest starred in a season 7 eps, and Mark-Linn Baker was the 2nd, he guest starred in a season 9 eps, the interesting thing is that he played a character that would fire Harriette from her job. On PS, Baker and Payton played characters that worked together.
I heard that MLB guest stared but I never saw that episode. It is strange that he didn't play Larry.

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I heard that MLB guest stared but I never saw that episode. It is strange that he didn't play Larry.

I know, Bronson Pinchot had become a regular on Step By Step during it's 6th season, and while FM was in it's 8th, which means BP was available to at least appear on FM, and since MW and MLB were also available, it is strange that we don't see any crossovers.

Karen*
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I know, Bronson Pinchot had become a regular on Step By Step during it's 6th season, and while FM was in it's 8th, which means BP was available to at least appear on FM, and since MW and MLB were also available, it is strange that we don't see any crossovers.

After he appeared on Step by Step, Bronson Pinchot became the star of the short-lived series Meego. Didn't that show crossover with FM?

SimpsonsFan
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
After he appeared on Step by Step, Bronson Pinchot became the star of the short-lived series Meego. Didn't that show crossover with FM?

Yes, Jaleel White did make a cameo on the 2nd eps ofthat show as Steve Urkel, according to TVTome, it was uncredited.

fullhousefan91619
12-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Well it didn't say "Starring Reginald VelJohnson" so we can assume she was a star too. Plus, generally on family sitcoms like this it's usually the husband, then wife, then children.

TVFactFan
12-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Well it didn't say "Starring Reginald VelJohnson" so we can assume she was a star too. Plus, generally on family sitcoms like this it's usually the husband, then wife, then children.

Family Matters was an UNDERCOVER spinoff-lol

comedyfreak
12-20-2005, 05:53 AM
They did get sort of a pilot or story which spun them off to their own show. Remember they did an episode on PS where Harriet got laid off, they modernized the elevators so they didn't need an elevator operator anymore.

TVFactFan
12-20-2005, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=comedyfreak]They did get sort of a pilot or story which spun them off to their own show. Remember they did an episode on PS where Harriet got laid off, they modernized the elevators so they didn't need an elevator operator anymore.[/QUOTE

No I never saw that PS episode

comedyfreak
12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Ooops, my mistake. It was in Family Matters second episode we find out Harriet got laid off, thus ending her time at the Chronicle. Thus no crossovers needed.

Two-Income Family (episode #2) Summary Recap Trivia & Quotes Cast Reviews Previous Episode | Next Episode
Originally aired: Friday September 29, 1989 on ABC

Writer: Robert Blair
Director: James O'Keefe
Show Stars: Darius McCrary (Eddie Winslow), Reginald VelJohnson (Carl Winslow), Jo Marie Payton (Harriette Winslow), Kellie Shanygne Williams (Laura Winslow), Jaimee Foxworth (Judy Winslow [ seasons 1-4 ]), Rosetta LeNoire (Grandma Winslow [ seasons 1-8 ]), Joseph Julius-Wright (Richie Crawford [ season 1 ]), Joseph & Julius Wright (Richie (season 1))
All Guest Stars: Telma Hopkins (Rachel Crawford [ seasons 1-6 ]) , Larry Block (Mr. Seeger)
Production Code: 446002

Hariette loses her job to automation, forcing the family into austerity measures while Carl stews over the family debts.

TVFactFan
12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Ooops, my mistake. It was in Family Matters second episode we find out Harriet got laid off, thus ending her time at the Chronicle. Thus no crossovers needed.

Two-Income Family (episode #2) Summary Recap Trivia & Quotes Cast Reviews Previous Episode | Next Episode
Originally aired: Friday September 29, 1989 on ABC

Writer: Robert Blair
Director: James O'Keefe
Show Stars: Darius McCrary (Eddie Winslow), Reginald VelJohnson (Carl Winslow), Jo Marie Payton (Harriette Winslow), Kellie Shanygne Williams (Laura Winslow), Jaimee Foxworth (Judy Winslow [ seasons 1-4 ]), Rosetta LeNoire (Grandma Winslow [ seasons 1-8 ]), Joseph Julius-Wright (Richie Crawford [ season 1 ]), Joseph & Julius Wright (Richie (season 1))
All Guest Stars: Telma Hopkins (Rachel Crawford [ seasons 1-6 ]) , Larry Block (Mr. Seeger)
Production Code: 446002

Hariette loses her job to automation, forcing the family into austerity measures while Carl stews over the family debts.

It would have been nice if Larry or balki was seen in that episode

comedyfreak
12-20-2005, 11:52 PM
I agree, they could have had her go back for her things and her coworkers could have also gave her a party. It would have been nice.

RWCTV
05-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I can tell you EXACTLY how Family Matters is a spin-off of "Perfect Strangers."

Sure, there is the Harriet fact. Harriet worked at the Chicago Chronicle as the elevator operator. In the second episode of Family Matters, Harriet is fired from the Chronicle because the Chronicle put in self-serve elevators.

Then, there is the fact that Carl Winslow was on an episode of Perfect Strangers. Harriet introduced him as Carl Winslow, a Chicago Cop. Remember, she kissed Carl, and she mentioned the powdered sugar on his moustache.

Then, Carl came in once again giving Balki the WANTED posters that he asked for.

There is all the proof you need.

Good Times is considered a spin-off from Maude, but in Maude James Evans was Henry Evans. Florida moved away in Maude who lived in New York and was supposed to live something like 20 miles away, but ended up in the Ghetto in Chicago. Still, admidst the contradictions, she still mentioned in one of the episodes of Good Times that she was the "best damn maid" she could be. Perfect Strangers was consistent.

Food for thought:

Mark Linn-Baker (Larry Appleton) directed some episodes of "Family Matters" too.

TVFactFan
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I can tell you EXACTLY how Family Matters is a spin-off of "Perfect Strangers."

Sure, there is the Harriet fact. Harriet worked at the Chicago Chronicle as the elevator operator. In the second episode of Family Matters, Harriet is fired from the Chronicle because the Chronicle put in self-serve elevators.

Then, there is the fact that Carl Winslow was on an episode of Perfect Strangers. Harriet introduced him as Carl Winslow, a Chicago Cop. Remember, she kissed Carl, and she mentioned the powdered sugar on his moustache.

Then, Carl came in once again giving Balki the WANTED posters that he asked for.

There is all the proof you need.

Good Times is considered a spin-off from Maude, but in Maude James Evans was Henry Evans. Florida moved away in Maude who lived in New York and was supposed to live something like 20 miles away, but ended up in the Ghetto in Chicago. Still, admidst the contradictions, she still mentioned in one of the episodes of Good Times that she was the "best damn maid" she could be. Perfect Strangers was consistent.

Food for thought:

Mark Linn-Baker (Larry Appleton) directed some episodes of "Family Matters" too.

This is an old post and I know Family Matters is a spinoff of Perfect Strangers