PDA

View Full Version : EDITH's DEATH....

Lisa72
03-30-2002, 02:36 PM
How did EDITH die on the show? I remember when it was just Archie and that stupid niece...Stephanie or something...It went completely downhill from there....Actually, it started getting bad when EDITH started sticking up for herself and would get nasty with ARCHIE all the time. She stopped being a "Ding Bat"

DetectiveGriffin
03-30-2002, 04:48 PM
The actress left the show in between seasons, so when the show came back on the air, it was explained that she had died of a heart attack, I believe.

TV Guy
03-30-2002, 06:38 PM
It was actually a stroke, and she died in her sleep.

chicosladyfair
04-04-2002, 01:53 AM
I know it was in an episode of Archie's Place..not All In The Family. I kept looking for the episode on the reglaur series until I learned it was on the spin off. I haven't seen the whole episode since it originally aired. Is Archie's Place being shown anywhere?

DarleneIllyria
04-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by chicosladyfair
I know it was in an episode of Archie's Place..not All In The Family. I kept looking for the episode on the reglaur series until I learned it was on the spin off. I haven't seen the whole episode since it originally aired. Is Archie's Place being shown anywhere?

We have a post lower down wher pavendal said that tvland may get the rights to the Archie's Alone episode. He wasn't sure when they would show it, if they show it. Let's wait for pavendal to answer.

Buddy
04-06-2002, 08:02 PM
it would be really great if they could show that episode(both parts). i saw it once and it was very good, and i'd like to see it again..too bad its only a maybe.

ClesStahn
04-15-2002, 10:28 PM
I wish Lifetime would buy rights to "Golden Palace" and "Women of the House", and I wish Nick at Nite would buy rights to "Gloria" and "Archie Bunker's Place".

Brad Russ
04-16-2002, 06:10 PM
I just bought this episode about two months ago, and it is extremely sad. It is so much different though then All In The Family. There was an eerie quietness throughout the entire episode, and the lighting was really strange. It was dark, and kind of spooky in my opinion. But the episode itself was great, but very sad.

ClesStahn
04-16-2002, 06:57 PM
*gets depressed just hearing about it*

ThomasE
06-05-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by mdntrider7
I just bought this episode about two months ago, and it is extremely sad. It is so much different though then All In The Family. There was an eerie quietness throughout the entire episode, and the lighting was really strange. It was dark, and kind of spooky in my opinion. But the episode itself was great, but very sad.

Thank you! It seems very gloomy the last 3 years of the show. I'm glad I'm not alone on this.

Hey you guys, if you have not seen this episode, I have it posted on the Archie Bunker's Place message board. The script from the 1980 episode and along with it, I have the fan fic in which Edith actually dies. It is so moving and it ties in with the "Archie Alone" episode. Check it out!

ClesStahn
06-05-2002, 03:29 PM
You mean, we can download the episode? Cool..

ThomasE
06-06-2002, 09:01 PM
I apologize, I have scripts from "Untimely Day" and "Archie Alone" in another posting on the board. "Untimely" Deals with the way Archie and Edith left things in their relationship before her death towards the end of part 1. Part 2 deals with Archie resenting Mike and Gloria for not attending Edtih's 53'rd birthday party weeks before the death and all of Edith's old friends and family gathered around at the house after her funeral services.

"Archie Alone" deals with Archie not accepting Edith's death 100% and trying not to help Stephnie deal with the death. He was basically avoiding anything that had to do with Edith dying. Stepahnie begins to skip school. Eventually Archie bre.........
well, I can't give it all away.

Read the posted scripts on the board and Enjoy! Remember "Archie Alone" is the actual script from the 1980 episode.

ClesStahn
06-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Okay cool, I'll read it sometime.

Brian
06-29-2002, 07:20 PM
I have never seen Archie Bunker's place but I am looking forward to watching it on TV Land. Speaking of Archie Bunker's place, I'll move this topic over there.

LeatherTuscadaro
07-02-2002, 01:57 PM
I Never Cared much For Archie Bunkers Place It Wasnt The Same Without Edith Or Mike And Gloria. But I Do Rember That Episode When Edith Passed Away It Was Very Sad And When Archie Was Crying In The Bedroom You Knew That Arhie Wasnt The Same Person Anymore Without Her

SOAPDYNASTY
08-21-2002, 03:31 AM
that's sad

SSlyh57752
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
You say you bought the episode of Edith's passing. WHere did you get it at, I have been looking all over for it and can only find the first season which was the season prior to her death. Thanks.

Scoobiedoo30
11-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I think Edith wanted to leave the Show

cp
11-26-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVzoqkaOsyU

Turn on your sound!

Edster2973
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Turn on your sound!

It seems as if that's all we can do. It doesn't show up as a visual, but you can hear it. Is this happening for you too?

Ed

Lamont
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
such a sad episode
i cried the first time i saw it

Scoobiedoo30
02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Edith Death was a sad Episode

Robert 13
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
This episode needs to be released on dvd. I think it would be a big seller for those that have always wanted to know what happened to Edith Bunker. It's possible that they are waiting for the final season of AITF first. But that means, we have a bit to wait still. I hope they decide to release it before that.

Scoobiedoo30
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I dont know why Edith would want to Leave she was very funnie in All In The Family and Archie Bunkers Place

Edster2973
02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I dont know why Edith would want to Leave she was very funnie in All In The Family and Archie Bunkers Place

You should know by now why she wanted to leave. I explained in a post on the All in the Family message board. You even posted the same comment twice in that thread. Here is the same comment posted here in case you need to see it again:

Jean Stapleton was willing to stay on the show but only on the condition that she shoot all of her scenes at once before the end of summer hiatus so that she would be free to do other things and not be tied to the series. This was tried out during the first season of Archie Bunker's Place and both the writers and Carroll O'Connor, while appreciating Jean's involvement, found it to be too restricting. For one thing, a show doesn't have all of its episodes plotted out by the time they begin shooting, let alone have them scripted. Plus, the writers were hard pressed to come up with ways to explain Edith's absences, and Carroll O'Connor felt that as long as Edith is known to be alive, the audience would want to see her, even those who understood why the actress wasn't there.

Inspite of being offered a substantial amount of money and schedule flexibility, Jean didn't budge. She said that she felt that the character had run its course, which is why she could no longer commit to portraying her except in a very limited capacity. She was surprised that the show decided to kill her off but understood why and didn't harbor any ill will, unlike Norman Lear, who (even though he wasn't involved with the show anymore) was very upset with the decision. He had several meetings with CBS and Carroll O'Connor about this, insisting that he would never concede to allow Edith to die. Finally, after speaking with Jean herself, Norman reluctantly relented and supported the show's decision.

I'm not sure if the show had to have his approval or not. Perhaps being a creator of the show and its many spin-offs, he had some pull. Again, I don't know. But this is what occurred. Jean didn't ask to be killed off; she was just surprised it happened since every year after Season 7 she was told that the current year would be the show's last. Had the show lasted 20 years and was willing to keep Edith on by shooting all of her scenes at once at the beginning of each season, chances are Jean would've agreed to it. She didn't dislike the character and she didn't forsake the show, she just didn't want to do ONLY Edith. She would go on to do theatre as well as starring in a movie as Eleanor Roosevelt, which I saw and was very impressed with.

Hope this finally explains it all to you...

Ed

Johnny be good!
12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
This explains alot. Thank you so much.

Scoobiedoo30
02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I sure did miss Edith after She left the show

SoapFan71
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
u can view the episode on http://archives.museum.tv/archives u have 2 sign up but it's worth it as they have original ep's of "Carol Burnett Show", 2 ep's of "You Can't Do That on Television"..& MANY others!

tv star collector
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Turn on your sound!

A very poignant scene. Thank you for posting that clip.

Johnny be good!
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
It was very somber. My mom was in tears when we watched it.