PDA

View Full Version : Can this be true about Donna Douglas?

lucyandethel
03-12-2011, 01:53 AM
deleted

James28
03-12-2011, 04:49 AM
They just said that Donna Douglas was g-a-y. I don't believe this is true. I think the guys running the show are :crazy:.

lucyandethel
03-13-2011, 03:05 AM
I don't believe it either. First, I have always heard that she fell hard for Elvis. Something happened there that took her quite some time to get over. If you read Stephen Cox's book, The Beverly Hillbillies (2003) it is stated that she fell in love with Elvis and returned to the set of Hillbillies heartbroken. In the years since, Douglas refuses to talk about what the deal was, but it is certainly a subject she doesn't wish to discuss.

I suspect where this comes from is Douglas' rather sketchy married life. According to IMDB.com she was married from 1949 to 1954 and had one son (whom she left with her parents to raise.) While they divorced in 1954, they were apart or a few years before the divorce. She was then married to Beverly Hillbillies director Robert Leeds from 1971 to 1980 (although the actual year of marriage has been debated, it seems the 1980 year is confirmed as a divorce.) As with anyone, when someone is unmarried, rumors circulate.

I do not believe Douglas is gay, although if she is that is her business. I had the privilege of meeting her a few times; once in the late 1970s and again around 1989. Whatever she is, she is a lovely, sincere person who is loving and honest.

stanwyckfan07
03-14-2011, 09:10 AM
It's not true. Donna is a extremely conservative, religious person who for decades has spent most of her time making inspirational speeches at churches.

I don't know what's going on with those radio people. I've seen the book by that friend of Elvis and I did not see one mention of Donna in the text.

I wish you hadn't put a link to this on here, it needs to stay in the obscurity where it is and not give these people any attention.

tv star collector
03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
It's not true. Donna is a extremely conservative, religious person who for decades has spent most of her time making inspirational speeches at churches.

I don't know what's going on with those radio people. I've seen the book by that friend of Elvis and I did not see one mention of Donna in the text.

I wish you hadn't put a link to this on here, it needs to stay in the obscurity where it is and not give these people any attention.

:yeahthat

bmovies
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
watch the video at the 3:07 time mark. I don't believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-spfnqosk&feature=related

I dont believe it either. George Klein is a liar. He often exagerates his friendship and importance to Elvis. He plays footsie with the Elvis Presely enterprises corporation in order to stay in Priscilla's and Lisa's good graces. And to hear him tell it, he was there at every pivotal moment in Elvis' life.

lucyandethel
03-16-2011, 02:24 AM

You are correct. If you can tell me how to delete a post, I will. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't believe it is true and didn't post to spread rumor but show how stupid it was.

stanwyckfan07
03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
You are correct. If you can tell me how to delete a post, I will. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't believe it is true and didn't post to spread rumor but show how stupid it was.

You can just click on edit on your OP and wipe out the link , that would be ok (and bmovies, you can do the same if you wish since you have it in your response). And I know you were not were not posting to spread a rumor just commenting on what was out there, that's understandable. I saw it last year when somebody posted a link to it on another website board and noticed the DJ brings it up first and the book guy changes the subject pretty quick to Donna's romance with Elvis so I don't know what was going on. There is almost nobody in show business that doesn't have somebody gossiping about their private lives, and usually speculation of this nature. I wasn't offended but I think it's best to just not give it any attention.

brgmgb
03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I suspect where this comes from is Douglas' rather sketchy married life. According to IMDB.com she was married from 1949 to 1954 and had one son (whom she left with her parents to raise.)

Born September 26, 1933. She was in her late 20's and 30's during The Beverly Hillbillies (1962-1971)?

McGillicuddy
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Lucy & Ethel, you didn't post anything objectional here, imo. You just shared a video clip that's out there. Those of us that choose to watch it can do just that, and form our own opinion. But I'll tell you what, I would have no interest in a book by George Klein, or anybody who would just casually make a reference to anyone's sexual orientation without any validation.
That said, if Miss Donna Douglas were gay, wheather she's extremely conservative & religious or not (There are gay people that have their faith too!!), it would never change my opinion of this beautiful woman in anyway at all!!!!!!!!!

biffbronson
03-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Born September 26, 1933. She was in her late 20's and 30's during The Beverly Hillbillies (1962-1971)?

That's accurate by all accounts. If you watch the last couple of seasons, you will notice, very slightly, that facially she is beginning to show her age -- as she was in her late 30s by then.

Max Baer has commented that she wore a lot of makeup. Probably necessary though, as she was playing the role of a woman practically a decade younger than she really was.

lucyandethel
03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Until the 1980s, many sources listed her birth year as 1939.

liane49
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Until the 1980s, many sources listed her birth year as 1939.
I herd that when she made the movie with Elivs and she had to do all those romantic seens, it upset her so much because she was so religious and and she didn't want to go back after summer was over and do anymore of the Beverely Hillbillies. But the show told her it might be good therapy for her to work on Hillbillies and help her get over the problems she had while making the movie.