PDA

View Full Version : Did 'Rhoda' Have A Proper Finale?

Brian Damage
03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
What happened? How did it end?

Retro4Life
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't believe there was ever any actual "finale" to Rhoda; just an episode after which no more were aired. Not sure they knew it would end at that point. This was common in the late 70's.

Brian Damage
03-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't believe there was ever any actual "finale" to Rhoda; just an episode after which no more were aired. Not sure they knew it would end at that point. This was common in the late 70's.

Oh man, that is horrible and pretty surprising to hear considering Mary Tyler Moore practically invented the series finale!

Stuck In The '70's
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Oh man, that is horrible and pretty surprising to hear considering Mary Tyler Moore practically invented the series finale!
If I remember correctly, Rhoda was only picked up for 13 episodes that last season. The series was pulled in December I believe. I had stopped watching it long before then and I don't know if I ever saw the last episode. A sad way to go out.

Brian Damage
03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Rhoda was only picked up for 13 episodes that last season. The series was pulled in December I believe. I had stopped watching it long before then and I don't know if I ever saw the last episode. A sad way to go out.

Indeed it was Sonny, especially such an iconic character as Rhoda Morgenstern

Retro4Life
03-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I think I watched it till the end. You're right, Brian; Rhoda deserved much better. Again, it was more typical to just end a show in those days than it was to give things a proper wrap up. The Odd Couple, MTM, and Bob Newhart being the notable exceptions.

Brian Damage
03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I think I watched it till the end. You're right, Brian; Rhoda deserved much better. Again, it was more typical to just end a show in those days than it was to give things a proper wrap up. The Odd Couple, MTM, and Bob Newhart being the notable exceptions.

That's just it retro, seeing as this was an MTM production like TMTMS & Bob Newhart show, it makes even littler sense. Cbs should've at least given fans of this character a proper goodbye of some sort.

It makes me wonder though, what was the final episode of 'Rhoda?'

McGillicuddy
03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I thought they were building up to the wedding of Brenda and Benny. Of course Ida would have been all pre-occupied with that. Not sure what they had in mind for Rhoda, though.

I think the last 4 episodes produced never aired on CBS, but eventually aired in syndication.

scotsguy
03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
The last episode of "Rhoda" was "Brenda Runs Away" and there is no series

finale as "Rhoda" was cancelled rather than ending like MTMS.

The standard of writing on Rhoda began to go dowhill from season4 onwards,

in my view,the first three seasons of Rhoda were so well written,its sad to

see the show decline in standard although the actors were still giving top

performances.

Brian Damage
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
The last episode of "Rhoda" was "Brenda Runs Away" and there is no series

finale as "Rhoda" was cancelled rather than ending like MTMS.

The standard of writing on Rhoda began to go dowhill from season4 onwards,

in my view,the first three seasons of Rhoda were so well written,its sad to

see the show decline in standard although the actors were still giving top

performances.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

McGillicuddy
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
If Nancy Walker didn't come back for the season 4 premiere, I don't think I would care at all about seasons 4 & 5. I like all the episodes with Ida interacting with her daughters.

Miss Lisa
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
I watched this show up until the point that her and Joe get divorced. Does anyone remember what season that episode was in?

To me, that probably should have been the end of it. I have managed to sit threw a few of the eps after the divorce, I know that Rhoda starts working for a Lou Grant wannabe and Brenda gets together with a guy that I really don't care for. Which, did anyone notice that this show was kinda turning into a bad version of TMTMS? Rhoda is getting over a bad relationship and works for a version of Lou Grant while her sister, the one who was more like the Rhoda from the beginning of TMTMS is with a guy getting ready to get married.

treky
03-12-2011, 02:41 AM
also' "THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW" & "THE FUGITIVE". (I know those are from the 60s, but you know what I mean):)

zevonsky72
06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I watched this show up until the point that her and Joe get divorced. Does anyone remember what season that episode was in?

To me, that probably should have been the end of it. I have managed to sit threw a few of the eps after the divorce, I know that Rhoda starts working for a Lou Grant wannabe and Brenda gets together with a guy that I really don't care for. Which, did anyone notice that this show was kinda turning into a bad version of TMTMS? Rhoda is getting over a bad relationship and works for a version of Lou Grant while her sister, the one who was more like the Rhoda from the beginning of TMTMS is with a guy getting ready to get married.

Rhoda found out her divorce was final in the fourth season premiere. I have to disagree with the sentiments here. I loved season four and adored Jack Doyle. My view hasn't changed after rewatching season four on DVD. Rhoda's post-divorce episodes are tragically underrated.

McGillicuddy
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Rhoda found out her divorce was final in the fourth season premiere. I have to disagree with the sentiments here. I loved season four and adored Jack Doyle. My view hasn't changed after rewatching season four on DVD. Rhoda's post-divorce episodes are tragically underrated.
I agree with you about season 4, except with me it was the return of Ida Morgenstern.

zevonsky72
06-11-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm not entirely sure how networks ordered episodes of shows in the late 1970s. That is, I can't say whether an order of 13 episodes for the fall rather than a full-season's worth indicated a show was in mortal danger.

I suppose by the time the cast filmed "Brenda Runs Away" rumors would have been flying, considering ratings were low and CBS had not ordered any further episodes. The last scene in that episode involved Brenda and Rhoda in the laundry room. It was a particularly warm and sentimental scene if I recall correctly, and you can sense a little more emotion than normal. They and the writers may have figured at the last minute this could be a good opportunity to wrap the show on a positive note, although that's just speculation. Not a great way to go out, but not an awful way, either, IMHO.