PDA

View Full Version : Did Jim Nabors Really Talk Like That???

Brian Damage
02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I've seen the Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle USMC & even the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. I noticed Jim Nabors always talked with that heavy southern "Twang" in his voice. With all that said, does Jim Nabors actually talk like this?

http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens2194839module13101164photo_1229646018Photo_Of_Jim_Nabors_by_candid_on_FLICKR.jpg

treky
02-19-2011, 11:47 PM
no, I've seen interviews with him. Also, in the comentary he does for the pilot episode on DVD, he doesn't sound like that, plus they show an appearence he did on "THE DAVID FROST SHOW" (no date is given, but David Frost says how the show's popular in reruns "since it went off", Jim tells about something a guy said to him who said he watches it every day, and judging by their clothes and the fact that "THE DAVID FROST SHOW" was on in the 70s; I'd say the mid 70s) and he doesn't talk that way.

Yong Fang
03-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Gomer is basically a silly version of Nabors real voice. Nabors is from Alabama, in the deep south and he does have that accent. George Lindsey is also from Alabama and talks about the same.

Funny though, the actor who played the Gunnery Sargent, Frank Sutton was from Tennessee, although he sounds like a Brooklyn guy.

Schmoopie
03-06-2011, 02:49 AM
He sang too and he definitely didn't sing like Gomer Pyle!

Yong Fang
03-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Gomer is basically a silly version of Nabors real voice. Nabors is from Alabama, in the deep south and he does have that accent. George Lindsey is also from Alabama and talks about the same.

Funny though, the actor who played the Gunnery Sargent, Frank Sutton was from Tennessee, although he sounds like a Brooklyn guy.

gopyle
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
In interviews I have heard with Nabors, he sounds like a toned down version of Gomer. The accent is there, but not the exaggeration.