View Full Version : A computer started a fire in my condo building
12-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Yesterday morning, a woman who owns a condo two floors above mine went to work. While there, something she had plugged in her computer setup caught fire. This dumbo had everything hooked up to those little three prong outlets. They were all plugged into each other. She had a computer, printer, fax, radio, telephone and who knows what else all plugged in, using those little prongs.
She said she got a fax at home when she was at work and that must have started the fire. Her entire system, two rooms actually, went up in flames. That set off the water sprinkler system. The firetrucks came and put the fire out. Water from the sprinkler system and the firemens' hoses flooded the part of the building below and next door to where the fire started. The carpet in the common hallways has to be replaced.
My condo is a disaster. Parts of the ceiling caved and flooded the walls and carpets. Fortunately we have homeowners insurance, so we're having our carpets replaced and our walls painted. Since the fire was electrical, it has that lousy smell, which is slowly going away. My poor cats don't know what the heck is going on. The most important thing is that nobody got hurt.
I'm sure everyone knows, but ALWAYS use a powerstrip surge protector when plugging in multiple electrical appliances, etc . They come in all shapes and sizes, but here's a few.
12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Yikes. That's pretty scary. I'm glad no one was hurt, but sorry that you have to deal with all of that hassle.
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Sorry that you're having to deal with all this, Janice, especially at Christmastime...
12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes, you do have to be careful with electrical outlets. I do use those powerstrip surge protectors. There are a good idea. I'm glad the fire did not spread too far.
12-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow! I'm glad no one got hurt because of this lady's stupidity. And I'm glad you have insurance to cover your damage. I hope everything will be fixed quickly and you and your cats can feel comfortable in your home again.
12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks so much guys. :) I appreciate it. My front room carpets are being ripped up as I type this. I'm in the office. Back to yesterday for a second. The water was pouring from six areas in the ceiling. We had huge saucepans and barrels catching the water. We could barely keep up with them as they were filling up so fast. I felt like Lucille Ball, lol. It's going to be a while before our lives get back to normal.
12-09-2010, 07:07 PM
So sorry to hear this Janice. Thank God no one got hurt. What a dumb-ass that woman is. EVEN I know to use surge protectors and I'm pretty backwards technologically. Hope your poor kittys didn't get too freaked. Glad all the insurance stuff is in place and that awful electrical smell is going away. Hope the carpeting and painting goes quickly.
Family Ties Forever!
12-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Janice, I'm really sorry to hear about the fire and water damage. It's awful that that woman caused so much damage by using improper plug outlets. It sounds like all the things she had plugged in overloaded and caused the fire.
I hope that everything that is damaged can be repaired. I think the woman should apologize for the damage she caused people.
I'm glad no one was hurt. :hug:
12-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Janice, so sorry for your troubles, but so glad you were not hurt (or anyone else for that matter).
It could have been so much worse, and I hope that thought can keep your spirits up. Things can be replaced. Not people.
That water situation does sound right out of a sitcom. I hope that provided a little levity.
70s show watcher
12-10-2010, 02:18 AM
sorry about what you are going thrugh but im glad the you are ok
I am glad you are safe. I would not want anything bad to happen to you. Too
bad your apartment got messed up though.
12-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I am sorry to hear you are going through this, at least everyone is safe and sound though. :)
...even better than those cheap power strips (especially the cheap ones people buy at dollar stores or Walmart that are usually counterfeit with fake UL and safety stickers on them and can be even MORE dangerous) are the uninterruptible power supply units - they are basically a battery backup and surge suppressor, so when the power goes out or you have a power surge all your expensive computer stuff (or tv or audio equipment) is safe. They have much more sophisticated electronics in them and are well worth the extra $$$
12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Those prong outlets are death traps. No more than three things should be plugged into those. Also if they come with a switch to turn it off, one should do so. My stereo and its components are plugged into a couple of those prongs and when I get done playing music I turn those prongs off. Also thats a good way to cut down on how much electricity they use.
Glad no one was hurt.
12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
So sorry to hear that, Janice!! Thank God everyone is OK. :bighug:
Hollywood Rock Chic
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Fortunately, the condo can be replaced. People cannot. I am so glad that you are okay, Janice:)
12-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm glad nobody in the building was hurt and I'm glad the damages will be repaired.
Stuck In The '70's
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow I'm glad nobody was hurt. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this Janice. :(
12-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear about this but I'm glad it wasn't worse than what it was.
12-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Janice, if you need anything at all...just let me know!
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
From what I was told about surge protetors, after the first power surge they're useless, but I still use them
Glad no one was hurt
vBulletin v3.5.0, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.