PDA

View Full Version : Remember these 1960's commercial jingles--?

Rezny@gmail.com
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
1-"Mama mia,thatsa spicy Meat a Ball"...2-"Look for the big L-First letter in (singers)Lectric Shave" 3-"There's something about an Aqua Velva man"(this is sung) 4-"Dirt can't hide from Intensified Tide".5-"The bigger the burger,the better the burger,the burgers are bigger at Burger King"(this jingle is sung,too)

Janice Johnson
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I doubt too many people here can ACTUALLY remember those 60's jingles. Anyone who can remember a 60's jingle would have to be at least in their 60's, no pun intended....

Vito
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I remember the first jingle, about meatballs. It was Alka Seltzer or Pepto Bismol, I think.

I also remember the Aqua Velva song.

Not sure about the other ones on the list.

Vito
06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I doubt too many people here can ACTUALLY remember those 60's jingles. Anyone who can remember a 60's jingle would have to be at least in their 60's, no pun intended....
I can remember some TV stuff as far back as 1966-1967, when I was 4 or 5 years old. Mostly cartoons and kids' shows, but a few commercials too!

Hey, I'm old! :lol:

Marvo301
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Not true. I'm only in my 40's and I remember some of those jingles!

Rezny@gmail.com
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I doubt too many people here can ACTUALLY remember those 60's jingles. Anyone who can remember a 60's jingle would have to be at least in their 60's, no pun intended....I grew up on '60's TV,so I remember all of these jingles I mentioned in my post.And I'm in my 50's!

treky
06-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I remember the first jingle, about meatballs. It was Alka Seltzer or Pepto Bismol, I think.

I also remember the Aqua Velva song.

Not sure about the other ones on the list.
it was Alka-Seltzer

OH Nuts!
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I remember many of the jingles and liked them - but boy - does it date me!

MickeyMac
06-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I dont remember them because I didnt come into this world until 1974, but I know those jingles since all I watch is classic TV (commericals included).

Coffeecup
06-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I wish we had some of those commercials. Now a days all I see is heath related ads. How many ads are there for problems with the bladder? I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for coffee, childrens' games, cereal, or candy. I do see everyonce a while an ad for toothpaste with Brooke Shields but the type of commercials seen today are a lot different. When I see an old show from the 1960' or even 1970's it would be fun to see the original commercial that ran with the show.

Rezny@gmail.com
06-11-2010, 06:58 PM
And how about these 1960's jingles?1)"New Ajax Laundry Detergent is....Stronger than Dirt!(singers)(w/Ajax White Knight going down the street zapping with his sword clothes from dirty to bright white) 2)"Ajax Household Cleaner.Cleans like a white tornado".3)"Mr.Clean leaves a sheen ....where you....clean".,or "The Swinger"camera by Polaroid ?(now defunct)(singers)"Meet the swinger,the Polaroid Swinger"Ah,the 1960's TV jingles.Compared to the ones they have out today,the ones from the 1960's (and the 1970's-remember "You stayed out all night.Wow what a blast.Now your head and your stomach need relief fast..Fast..fast..fast.Alka-Seltzer-plop,plop,fizz fizz,oh,what a relief it is."Ahhh,the 1960's and early 1970's for commercials.

Janice Johnson
06-12-2010, 03:14 AM
When I see an old show from the 1960' or even 1970's it would be fun to see the original commercial that ran with the show.

I think it's up to the TV station to play the commercials that they do and they only play current commercials. It would be hard for today's tv stations to play the original tv commercials that ran in the 60s and 70s.:(

Marvo301
06-12-2010, 03:19 AM
I think it's up to the TV station to play the commercials that they do and they only play current commercials. It would be hard for today's tv stations to play the original tv commercials that ran in the 60s and 70s.:(
Occasionally some of the original commercials are included as extras on DVD releases.

Tweety
06-12-2010, 05:31 AM
I wish we had some of those commercials. Now a days all I see is heath related ads. How many ads are there for problems with the bladder? I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for coffee, childrens' games, cereal, or candy. I do see everyonce a while an ad for toothpaste with Brooke Shields but the type of commercials seen today are a lot different. When I see an old show from the 1960' or even 1970's it would be fun to see the original commercial that ran with the show.

The types of commercials we see is really a function of the programs we watch. Advertisers try to aim their commercials toward the audience that they think will be watching a particular program (at a particular time).

Children's games, for example, might be advertised on some crappy Saturday morning cartoon. When we used to see commercials for games like "Trouble" (Pop-o-Matic pops the dice, pop the "6" and you move twice, Race your men around the track and try to send the others back") or 'Battleship" ("You sunk my battleship"), it was because we were watching kids shows that ran those particular ads.

I have seen coffee commercials for Folgers... "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup"... it has some young lady in it who staggers out of bed every morning, and once she has a cup of Folgers, then PRESTO! Next thing you know she's part of a "Riverdance" routine (probably with other consumers of Folgers). I sometimes drink Folgers, but I can't do no Riverdance.

Tweety
06-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Yes, I vividly remember

1) "That's a spicy meat-a-ball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Yl24z8b_c)" (this video is labeled as a "blooper" but it was an actual commercial that ran just as we see it here).
2) Lllllllectric Shave! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqt0DmnUStg)
3) There's something about an Aqua VELva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n8YA6If0HI) maaaaan. (this is not the commercial I remember, but it goes back a ways, obviously)
4) Ajax being "stronger than dirt" (with the Knight) #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZK5VkQes4) #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNNpP6DVsw&feature=related)

Some of the others didn't make the same impression.

MickeyMac
06-12-2010, 02:18 PM

It would be an improvement over these crappy commercials they show now.

Coffeecup
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh I agree it would be hard to find the original commercials and if they did the picture quality would be bad. As for childrens game I don't recall only seeing them on saturday. I guess times will change. Who know what we will see 20 years from now.

Tweety
06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh I agree it would be hard to find the original commercials and if they did the picture quality would be bad. As for childrens game I don't recall only seeing them on saturday. I guess times will change. Who know what we will see 20 years from now.

True :)

And actually, now that I think of it, it wouldn't be just on Saturday mornings that we'd see those commercials... we'd be just as likely to see them on the after-school afternoon shows and cartoons we used to watch.

biffbronson
06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
You can watch lots of old commercials on some My Network TV channels. Usually the audio and video are excellent. An Aqua Velva one is around, along with some old ones for Alka Seltzer and Ajax.

Also, some public domain DVDs do include old commercials along with the shows. I've seen original run ones for Make Room for Daddy and Ozzie & Harriet. They appear in quality equal to the print they're tagged onto.

Regarding new commercials: There are still some cereal commercials being made. Kellogg's is advertising their Special K varieties heavily.

KurtfromPitts
06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I remember the Aqua Velva jingle. IIRC I first saw the ads on Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour on CBS back in the day.

MickeyMac
06-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I got about 8 DVD's of classic commercials and they are in great quality.

Retro4Life
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I remember the Noxema commercial that went "Take it off...take it ALL off..."

Most of those you listed I recall in varying degrees of clarity. I'm 45 so I was quite young in the 60's but some of those jingles are like memory touchstones, ingrained in the brains of an entire generation.

I also recall "It takes two hands to handle a Whopper..."...."Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUN..." "Today's your Brut Day...it's your lucky Brut day today!"..."From the land of sky blue waters (waters), from the land of pines, lofty blossoms, comes the beer refreshing, Hamms!"..."Here comes the king here comes the big number one, Budweiser King of Beers is second to none!...etc."....

Marvo301
06-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I remember the Noxema commercial that went "Take it off...take it ALL off..."

Most of those you listed I recall in varying degrees of clarity. I'm 45 so I was quite young in the 60's but some of those jingles are like memory touchstones, ingrained in the brains of an entire generation.

I also recall "It takes two hands to handle a Whopper..."...."Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUN..." "Today's your Brut Day...it's your lucky Brut day today!"..."From the land of sky blue waters (waters), from the land of pines, lofty blossoms, comes the beer refreshing, Hamms!"..."Here comes the king here comes the big number one, Budweiser King of Beers is second to none!...etc."....
And don't forget to "see the USA in your Chevrolet".