PDA

View Full Version : Dan Conner's Death Ranked Among the Top Most Shocking TV Deaths of ALL TIME? Really?!

Brian Damage
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
13. Dan Conner, Roseanne

Critics attacked the "Roseanne wins the lottery" story arc for betraying the show's everyman, blue-collar ethos. But Roseanne (the actress-producer, that is) had a plan all along: In the series finale, it's revealed that the whole shebang was the product of Roseanne Conner's fertile, writerly mind, a literary defense mechanism she created after Dan suffered a fatal heart attack at Darlene's wedding.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/shocking-tv-deaths-1003549.aspx

gidgetgrape
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I remember being more disappointed than shocked.

Adamantium
05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
It didn't hit me until now that Dan is dead. I knew he died, but there was so much going on in those last 15 minutes, that I never took the time to think about it - Roseanne without Dan. The Conner family without Dan. That's a sad thought.

catlover79
05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
It was surprising, but I think the deaths of Henry Blake (M*A*S*H) and James Evans (Good Times) were much more shocking.

HuntingtonM15
05-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Roseanne without Dan. The Conner family without Dan. That's a sad thought.

Exactly. Which is why I personally agree that it is among the most shocking.

Marvo301
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Dan Conner was grossly overweight and drank alcohol. It shouldn't come as a shock when someone like that has a heart attack. In fact it should probably be expected.

Adamantium
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Dan Conner was grossly overweight and drank alcohol. It shouldn't come as a shock when someone like that has a heart attack. In fact it should probably be expected.

I guess the truely shocking aspect of his death is just that they would kill of a beloved character. Although with the ending they gave the show, it's not like they could do a reunion show and would need Dan. Unless, Roseanne adds another fake chapter to her book, in which case Dan would be alive again.

coffield3
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't find his death shocking (kinda predictable)..but I was extremely upset that such a beloved character had gone. Whenever I watch the heart attack episodes and the hospital scenes..I cry like a child..because it reminds me so much of my Father when he had his.

Dr. Thong
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
It was surprising, but I think the deaths of Henry Blake (M*A*S*H) and James Evans (Good Times) were much more shocking.

I've watched the "Abyssinia Henry" episode a zillion times, yet every time Radar walks into the O.R. to deliver the news, I get a chill.

Dr. Thong
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I didn't watch Roseanne, so I never knew that Dan Conner was killed off in the finale. So the whole last season was a dream and you just found out about his death after the fact or were they ghoulish and showed him dying??

catlover79
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I didn't watch Roseanne, so I never knew that Dan Conner was killed off in the finale. So the whole last season was a dream and you just found out about his death after the fact or were they ghoulish and showed him dying??
That whole last season was a mess - pure and simple. They should've ended the show at the end of the 1995-96 season while the going was still (somewhat) good.

Adamantium
05-11-2010, 01:27 PM

It's not that the whole last season was a dream. Roseanne was writing a book and the show was her book. She mentions how the last season was made up, and that Dan had actually died of the heart attack he suffered a season before. But then it get's weirder. Roseanne goes on to mention that Becky was really with David and Darlene was really with Mark and that Jackie was really a lesbian. So the changes in this final episode go back and affect the entire series, not just the final season. Which is the real reason I hated the finale.

coffield3
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I dislike the finale, it was just wrong. They should of ended it when Dan had his heart attack.. and made it real.

I hated it when Dan started to cheat on her with his Mothers Nurse..THAT wasn't the Dan I knew and loved....they messed up there big time!

cleverfun3000
05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I hated it when Dan started to cheat on her with his Mothers Nurse..THAT wasn't the Dan I knew and loved....they messed up there big time!

That any man would actually CHEAT on Rosanne was the ONLY realistic thing about the entire series!

coffield3
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
That any man would actually CHEAT on Rosanne was the ONLY realistic thing about the entire series!

I love the blue colour...very pretty. BTW its Roseanne.

Dr. Thong
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
So it seems like Roseanne trashed what was mostly a good run by writing all or some of it off as a dream sequence.

Didn't she learn anything from Dallas...?

Torgo
05-12-2010, 09:35 AM
That whole last season was a mess - pure and simple. They should've ended the show at the end of the 1995-96 season while the going was still (somewhat) good.

I agree. The whole finale was ridiculous. For me it ranks as one of the worst finales.

Torgo
05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
So it seems like Roseanne trashed what was mostly a good run by writing all or some of it off as a dream sequence.

Didn't she learn anything from Dallas...?

Maybe she thought she'd be able to match Newhart's dream sequence ending.

Dr. Thong
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Maybe she thought she'd be able to match Newhart's dream sequence ending.

Now, that was a classic. That was funny as hell and well done.

When Bob tried to explain to Emily what had happened, she told him to go back to sleep.

Torgo
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Now, that was a classic. That was funny as hell and well done.

When Bob tried to explain to Emily what had happened, she told him to go back to sleep.

:lol:

Definitely one of the greatest finales ever.

Dr. Thong
05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
:lol:

Definitely one of the greatest finales ever.

The ending was funny because it was completely unexpected. It just came out of nowhere.

And because it was the pre-internet era, they were able to keep that ending a secret. I was stunned...and very pleasantly so.

Will and Grace Fanatic
05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I was shocked I never thought Roseanne would ever kill off any of her characters.

Bachu
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I really enjoyed the last season of Roseanne. The first 3rd of the season with it's OTT stories was actually quite funny. When the show returned to the house they show returned to the good story telling in the first few seasons IMO and the last scene with Roseanne talking about what happened was very well done IMO along with the sad version of the opening theme.

ThomasE
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Right on sister! The last season didn't even hit the syndication market until two years afterwards. The stations (including TBS) would go from season eight back to season one.

ShamelessFanGirl
07-22-2011, 11:54 PM
When Roseanne revealed that Dan had actually died due to the heart attack he suffered at the wedding...it was a very emotional moment. Though there was nothing more tear-jerking than when you heard the eerie and haunting sound of his voice that nearly brought me to complete tears. Dan was such an amazing character. He was loving and caring husband/father and hard-worker. Dan was a good husband to his wife and was always there to take care of his children and provide for his family. In my opinion one of the greatest characters in television!

70s show watcher
07-28-2011, 07:19 AM
I dislike the finale, it was just wrong. They should of ended it when Dan had his heart attack.. and made it real.

I hated it when Dan started to cheat on her with his Mothers Nurse..THAT wasn't the Dan I knew and loved....they messed up there big time!i know and that stupid excuse that he gave about life is different out there what a load of bull he cheated because he wanted to pure and simple

ShamelessFanGirl
07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
i know and that stupid excuse that he gave about life is different out there what a load of bull he cheated because he wanted to pure and simple

Dan Conner went through what a lot of men his age deal with which is a middle-life crisis. These sorts of men when they begin to realize their own mortality instead of dealing with it like they should they run and usually get with young attractive women in their 20's. As a loving fan of the show, I really hated what they did with Dan's character. They turned him from being a loving family man who adored his wife and children to cheating husband. :mad: This was not who Dan was and they ruined it! I know that Roseanne says in her monologue that when Dan passed away she felt betrayed almost as if he had left her for another woman so she made it happen in her writing. I guess it helped her cope with his death, I don't know but it seems a like a pretty low blow to Dan to protray him in such a way.

70s show watcher
07-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Dan Conner went through what a lot of men his age deal with which is a middle-life crisis. These sorts of men when they begin to realize their own mortality instead of dealing with it like they should they run and usually get with young attractive women in their 20's. As a loving fan of the show, I really hated what they did with Dan's character. They turned him from being a loving family man who adored his wife and children to cheating husband. :mad: This was not who Dan was and they ruined it! I know that Roseanne says in her monologue that when Dan passed away she felt betrayed almost as if he had left her for another woman so she made it happen in her writing. I guess it helped her cope with his death, I don't know but it seems a like a pretty low blow to Dan to protray him in such a way.thats for sure they made him almost unlikeable in later years and he whined about something or other almost every other ep

ShamelessFanGirl
07-29-2011, 09:40 AM
thats for sure they made him almost unlikeable in later years and he whined about something or other almost every other ep

Agreed. Dan was a more likeable character in the earlier seasons because he was a more supporting husband and father. He was there for his children and wife where as later it was almost like he became uncaring and less concerned about what his family thought of him. Such as the episode when he went to have lunch with an old flame. He knew how Roseanne would feel about it, he knew that she would be furious but instead of telling the old girlfriend that he couldn't he went to lunch with her anyway. Another one was when D.J didn't want to kiss some girl in his class because she was black and Dan told him that was okay. This of course lead into a battle between him and Roseanne over which one was right and which one was wrong.Of course in the end he realized the error of his ways and told D.J he had to do it but that was only because his friend Chuck, made him aware of what a HORRIBLE example he was setting for his son. I don't know but these are two best examples I can give besides him cheating on Rosie with his mother's nurse.

Bronson
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree he was very unlikable for all of that. They should have just killed him off like with James Evans.