PDA

View Full Version : The reason show Amen was cancelled according to Sherman Hemsley

TVFactFan
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
In Part 2 of Sherman Hemsley's Interview on Youtube he was asked why Amen was cancelled and said

"Because it was Johnny Carson Show and since he was leaving NBC that year he just took everything with him included the show"

Learn something new everyday-lol

Mikeisha
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Oh, wow! I had no idea. Thank you for posting.

ThomasE
01-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Seriously? Wow! They could have at least let the show go for one more year. It could have left in 1992 with Carson.

catlover79
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I have to disagree there. I think the show had run its course and the ideas were running dry. I think another season would've been a disaster. Then again, your mileage may vary!!

Larenz09
01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
I have to disagree there. I think the show had run its course and the ideas were running dry. I think another season would've been a disaster. Then again, your mileage may vary!!

I'm surprised that there was never a reunion of the show, where all the former cast members would reunite. A few of them are dead now though - the one who played Rolley and the one who played his newly-wed wife.

megamanj2004
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM

I thought after the 3rd or 4th season, Amen was running a tad dry, IMO. Especially after Reuben Gregory married Thelma.

catlover79
01-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I thought after the 3rd or 4th season, Amen was running a tad dry, IMO. Especially after Reuben Gregory married Thelma.

Agreed. They should've waited until the series finale to marry them off. But then again, I never bought Thelma and Reuben as a couple. They had no chemistry, she was too whiny and clingy, and they just didn't seem to have anything in common. Then again, that's MY opinion.

rollo's girl
01-15-2011, 11:52 PM
there was a reunion of sorts on the TV Land special about Sherman Hemsley. People from "Amen" came to visit him at his home including Clifton Davis, Anna Maria Horsford and the lady who played Cassietta. Also Marla Gibbs, the second Lionel, the guy who played the doorman and I believe Berlinda Tolbert were there as well. They all acted like they were so glad to see each other and it was great to see all of them. You might be able to view "Living In TVLand" on the TvLand website, I don't know. Great for the Jeffersons/Amen fan.:)

catlover79
01-15-2011, 11:57 PM
^ Never heard of it, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe it's on YouTube or something.

rollo's girl
01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
^ Never heard of it, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe it's on YouTube or something.
It was on several years ago. They had a similar show about Dick Van Patten. Hope you catch it, I really enjoyed it.:)

rollo's girl
01-16-2011, 12:50 AM
I just dug deeper into this thread and saw where another poster said it was on TVLand on April 26, 2006- five years ago. Hope you can find it somewhere, hope this helps.

Larenz09
01-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Agreed. They should've waited until the series finale to marry them off. But then again, I never bought Thelma and Reuben as a couple. They had no chemistry, she was too whiny and clingy, and they just didn't seem to have anything in common. Then again, that's MY opinion.

She also couldn't cook either.

MrCleveland
01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Really? It was Johnny Carson's idea to have the show killed because of his departure on "The Tonight Show"?

catlover79
01-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Neither could Thelma from Good Times. Maybe it's the name. :eek: :lol:

catlover79
01-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I just dug deeper into this thread and saw where another poster said it was on TVLand on April 26, 2006- five years ago. Hope you can find it somewhere, hope this helps.

Thanks!! :D

megamanj2004
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Like the episode where she ried to cook for a group of people and when she tried to cook the dough in the kitchen, whole kitchen got filled up with DOUGH! :lol:

TV Knowledge Fan
01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
...was created in 1980 as part of Johnny's new, extended contract for "THE TONIGHT SHOW"- his company developed and produced several prime-time shows for NBC. Very few of them were successful {including "TEACHERS ONLY", starring Lynn Redgrave and Norman Fell; "CASSIE AND COMPANY", a detective drama featuring Angie Dickinson (that was the result of a rejected sitcom pilot she did for Carson- she fulfilled her contract by filming 12 episodes of "CASSIE", and that was it); "LEWIS & CLARK", starring Gabe Kaplan and Guich Koock; and "MR. PRESIDENT" [for FOX], a "dramedy" starring George C. Scott}. The only Carson-produced shows that lasted more than a season were "TV'S BLOOPERS & PRACTICAL JOKES", co-produced by Dick Clark, and fronted by him and Ed McMahon {"representing" Johnny's half of the venture}..and "AMEN". In fact, that was the most successful of ALL the Carson shows, lasting six seasons.

Probably because Johnny was leaving "THE TONIGHT SHOW" in 1992, he wanted "AMEN" off the air before he left. I think it was also due to the fact that Carson Productions, Inc. was basically "rudderless" after Henry "Bombastic" Buskin, Johnny's attorney and close friend, was fired by him in 1988- he controlled the company. According to Lawrence Leamer's 1989 biography of Johnny, "King of the Night", Bushkin mismanaged Carson Productions, keeping it from producing more successful programming, and installing key executives he personally favored [and it was said he had ongoing disagreements with Ed. Weinberger, "AMEN"''s producer]. After "AMEN" ended, Carson Productions, Inc. never produced another series.

:tv:

GSU2004
08-12-2011, 09:58 PM
...was created in 1980 as part of Johnny's new, extended contract for "THE TONIGHT SHOW"- his company developed and produced several prime-time shows for NBC. Very few of them were successful {including "TEACHERS ONLY", starring Lynn Redgrave and Norman Fell; "CASSIE AND COMPANY", a detective drama featuring Angie Dickinson (that was the result of a rejected sitcom pilot she did for Carson- she fulfilled her contract by filming 12 episodes of "CASSIE", and that was it); "LEWIS & CLARK", starring Gabe Kaplan and Guich Koock; and "MR. PRESIDENT" [for FOX], a "dramedy" starring George C. Scott}. The only Carson-produced shows that lasted more than a season were "TV'S BLOOPERS & PRACTICAL JOKES", co-produced by Dick Clark, and fronted by him and Ed McMahon {"representing" Johnny's half of the venture}..and "AMEN". In fact, that was the most successful of ALL the Carson shows, lasting six seasons.

Probably because Johnny was leaving "THE TONIGHT SHOW" in 1992, he wanted "AMEN" off the air before he left. I think it was also due to the fact that Carson Productions, Inc. was basically "rudderless" after Henry "Bombastic" Buskin, Johnny's attorney and close friend, was fired by him in 1988- he controlled the company. According to Lawrence Leamer's 1989 biography of Johnny, "King of the Night", Bushkin mismanaged Carson Productions, keeping it from producing more successful programming, and installing key executives he personally favored [and it was said he had ongoing disagreements with Ed. Weinberger, "AMEN"''s producer]. After "AMEN" ended, Carson Productions, Inc. never produced another series.

Thanks for posting. I noticed that Carson Productions never produced anything else that I watched. Sad to hear that it dissolved. I always thought Amen's ratings were declining and part of that was the terrible season five that 227 had.

lucyandethel
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
In Part 2 of Sherman Hemsley's Interview on Youtube he was asked why Amen was cancelled and said

"Because it was Johnny Carson Show and since he was leaving NBC that year he just took everything with him included the show"

Learn something new everyday-lol

I think that is highly unlikely. I am certain even though Carson was leaving NBC he would have wanted even more episodes of a sitcom he was producing for syndication. I believe the show had ran its course. I remember the last year...the scripts were pretty dry to say the least.

megamanj2004
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM

What was that show that starred Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman and Loni Anderson of WKRP? I saw one ep. of it on Lifetime reruns once and I forgot it was also a Carson Production.