PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember USA Networks cartoon express?

Brett Ferino
08-22-2001, 03:32 PM
I used to watch it a lot, especially when the TMNT were on. I watched it when I got home from school and it aired in early 1995 at 3:30pm and then was replaced again by the reruns of game shows and moved early in the morning. I also remember watching it at supper time at night on there. Does anyone remember the lineups for the Cartoon Express and the exact days and dates?

Kaz
08-22-2001, 06:41 PM
Nope!

Ags2000
08-24-2001, 12:58 AM
YES!!!!! Thats was SO cool. My friend and I were just talking about it the other day.

Some of the lineup was
Droopy
Scooby Doo
Woody Wood Pecker
Yogi Bear
Gem and the Hollograms
Josie and the ***** Cats
Speed Racer
He-Man
She-Ra
Care Bears
Shirt Tales
Get-a-Long Gang
Pound Puppies
Rainbow Brite
My Little Pony
Strawberry Shortcake

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh
I can't think of anymore right now. Can anyone else?
D

[This message has been edited by Ags2000 (edited 08-24-2001).]

Brett Ferino
08-24-2001, 01:36 PM
Care Bears was never on the USA Cartoon Express. I believe from 1990 to about 1997 it aired on Disney then moved to Toon Disney.

Brett Ferino
08-24-2001, 01:38 PM
I dont remember Josie and the ***** cats airing on there. Woody Woodpecker aired from late 1995-1996 on USA. GI Joe aired at 8am and Woody Woodpecker aired at 8:30 until like June of '96 then it was replaced by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Brett Ferino
08-24-2001, 01:39 PM
And My Little Pony aired on The Disney Channel weekday mornings from 1995-1995.

Jack's Beatle Poster
08-25-2001, 11:39 AM
damn why wont it let anyone say ***** ? its not like we're talking about ******!

------------------
When you gotta gun
in your hand, your
free to make any speech
you want!!-Archie Bunker

STANLEY: The car was overheated,
Helen!
HELEN: So was I!!

MARGE: Kids can be so
cruel!
BART: We can? Thanks, Mom!
(Bart socks Lisa)
LISA: Oww!!

HELEN: Stanley, you got
2 choices. You either
put your pants on and take
me to that resturant...
Or leave them off and we
could stay here and
have fun!

KIMBERLY: Willis, you gotta
do something about that
bathroom.
WILLIS: Like what?
KIMBERLY: Like not leaving
the seat up.
WILLIS: That's Arnold.
ARNOLD: No way, I stand
on the seat!

Ags2000
08-28-2001, 12:50 AM
When I was posting earlier, I was including the original Cartoon Express that was on the Cartoon Network way back when before it was on USA.

D

TV Guy
08-30-2001, 12:27 AM
I remember that they showed a lot of the "Flintstone" spinoffs, like "Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm", "Fred and Barney", and segments from "The Flintstones Comedy Show".

theshark8777
09-12-2001, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Ags2000:
When I was posting earlier, I was including the original Cartoon Express that was on the Cartoon Network way back when before it was on USA.

D

HUH? The USA cartoon express was on years before Cartoon Network was a gleam in Ted Turner's eye. I rememeber it showed mostly Hanna Barbera cartoon, like Yogi Bear and Laff-a-Lympics, Flinstones and so on. I remember The Great Space Coaster was on either before or after the Cartoon Express.

LONEWOLF
09-26-2001, 12:08 AM
The Great Space Coaster was on before having reruns on The Cartoon Express because I remember watching the very first show and the last show on channel 43 a local station around cleveland. I also remember watching The Cartoon Express Sunday Morning in the 80's before that cartoon show with a old man and his dog I forgot the name of it called Coliapy or something like that.

theshark8777
09-27-2001, 10:26 AM
Hey I get channel 43 in Cleveland, though I don't remember The Great Space Coaster airing on it. It's nice to find someone who actually remembers it though. I do remember Barnaby on 43 though!

LONEWOLF
09-27-2001, 04:18 PM
Thanks,I Do remember Barnaby too I miss that show too. Do you remember Superhost too he was on every Saturday afternoon showing movies and Three Stooges, The Little Rascals, Abbott&Costello, The Marx Brothers, Laurel&Hardy and Charlie Chaplin shorts.

theshark8777
09-28-2001, 08:20 AM
Yes I remember Superhost! It was about the only thing on to watch in the day.

Brett Ferino
09-28-2001, 04:02 PM
The Ninja Turtles never aired on Disney. It was aired on USA Network if you are thinking right in repeats from 1993-1996 if I am correct? Am I?

TMC
10-17-2001, 01:27 AM
These are the shows that I could've sworn to recall airing on the Cartoon Express at one point or another:
*Mr. T & the T Force-I pity da foo' who wants to take my 'toons off of the air! Especially if we're going to get a bunch of boring reruns of crap like Nash Bridges and Walker: Texas Ranger in its place.

*Turbo Teen

*Pebbles & Bam Bam

*Dyno-Mutt

*The Real Ghostbusters

*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

*Gem

*GI Joe

*He-Man

*The Flintstones Comedy Hour

*Pac Man

*Dinosaucers

*Denver, the Last Dinosaur

*Space Stars-I believe that this featured updated versions of Space Ghost and the Herculoids as well as the new cartoons Teen Force and Astro & the Space Mutts.

*Beverly Hills Teens

*Hanna/Barbera cartoons like Mogila Gorliia, Huckelberry Hound, and Wally Gator.

*Space Ace/Dragon Slayer

Harper86
11-28-2001, 02:50 PM
Well I Thank Maxie's World Repeated Breefly On USA Network.

lentzmatt
11-28-2001, 11:49 PM
I remember when they showed Pixy and Dixy

Brett Ferino
12-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Harper86
Well I Thank Maxie's World Repeated Breefly On USA Network.

Maxies World never aired on the USA Cartoon Express nor The USA Action Extreme Team. I have never even seen the show that you are talkin' about, Preston.

DrDoom71
01-14-2003, 01:25 AM
I rember it,USA network showed good programs through out the 24hr period.Any How if anybody who would like to see some of these shows,I have 4-5 videos off USA cartoon express from mid 80's with the commercials still intack,they are:
Captain Caveman&The Teenangels,JabberJaw,Whats New Mr.Magoo,Hokey Wolf,HuckleBerry Hound ,Goober&The Ghost Chasers,He-Man&She-Ra Christmas Special,Paw paw Bears,Pebbles&Bamm Bamm Show,Mr.Magoo Christmas Carol,Shirt Tales,Space Stars,Yogi's Treasure Hunt&More.I will work something out in reason for copies.

Brett Ferino
01-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Do you have any mid 90s ones with TMNT, GI JOE, and REAL GHOSTBUSTERS? Plus the originas PROBLEM CHILD, ITSY BITSY SPIDER and HIGHLANDER?

Mondello
01-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Bret, alot of the cartoons you said were not on CExpress actually were on it. Cartoon Express debuted in the mid-80's and aired cartoons ranging from Smurfs-He-man- Jem-Magilla Gorilla-TMNT-Snorks-Mister T-Woody Woodpecker-Denver the Last Dinosaur-Get Along Gang-Young Robin Hood-Pac Man-Paw Paw Bears-Alvin and the Chipmunks-Rainbow Brite-G.I. Joe- and several others. Maxie's World never aired on CE but did air on the USA Network.

Brett Ferino
01-17-2003, 01:39 PM
When did they air Maxie's World? GI Joe aired from 92-96, and TMNT aired from 93-96 (3 Years). Alvin never aired there. It aired on Nick in the early mid 90s and later moved to CN. I also dont think Rainbow Brite aired on there either...

Mondello
01-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Brett Ferino
When did they air Maxie's World? GI Joe aired from 92-96, and TMNT aired from 93-96 (3 Years). Alvin never aired there. It aired on Nick in the early mid 90s and later moved to CN. I also dont think Rainbow Brite aired on there either...

Cartoon Express debuted in the 80's not the 90's. I've only seen you mention the 90's, did you ever see it in the 80's. USA Network aired Maxie's World not Cartoon Express (i said that in my earlier post)

Brett Ferino
01-17-2003, 07:48 PM
When did Maxie's World air on USA? It is definitely not true that it was NOT on The USA Cartoon Express. Maxie's World was a cartoon right?

Also, about the 80s, I was born in 1988. And The Cartoon Express began in 1989 so, I don't think I saw it then or if I did. My mom told me that we used to get up in the morning when I was 1-2 watching something like Jem or GI Joe or something like that...

C Doody
01-18-2003, 03:03 AM
I Rememebr some Power Rangers like show called Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills on their. Im ashamed to say it, But i was a big fan :lol:

Brett Ferino
01-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah. I remember that. But I think I only saw it once when they aired Cartoon Express at 3:30PM w/ TMNT from January-June 1995.

Do you know when Maxie's World aired on USA and what time it did? Because on toonarific.com, there is screen captures and it was animated and it had to be on the USA Cartoon Express in the early-mid 90s. I know it was not on the USA Action Extreme Team, which aired from 96-99..

I mainly watched Cartoon Express from like 1993-1996 when they aired TMNT and GI Joe. Shows I do indeed know the shows from the 94-95 season on it:

Weekday Mornings
7:00AM Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
7:30AM Dinosaucers
8:00AM GI Joe
8:30AM (Slimer And) The Real Ghostbusters

I know that when USA started airing TMNT in November 1993, they aired the show Monday-Fridays at 6:30PM EST. I think the Real Ghostbusters aired at 6. In September 1994, TRG was replaced by Tattoed Teenagers. From September 1994-January 1995, the hour of TT & TMNT was from 6:00-7:00PM. Then from January-June 1995 it was from 3-4PM. In June, TMNT was aired in the AM until USA Stopped airing it in September 1996.

Back to the shows,
on the weekend they had
6:00AM Dinsoaucers
6:30AM Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
7:00AM GI Joe
7:30AM The Real Ghostbusters
8:00AM Highlander: The Animated Series (Original)
8:30AM Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
9:00AM Super Mario Bros. 3
9:30AM Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N Wrestling
10:00AM Caddilacs and Dinosaurs
10:30AM ???????????
11:00AM Problem Child (Original)
11:30AM Itsy Bitsy Spider (Original)

Mondello
01-18-2003, 07:56 PM
When did Maxie's World air on USA? It is definitely not true that it was NOT on The USA Cartoon Express. Maxie's World was a cartoon right?

Also, about the 80s, I was born in 1988. And The Cartoon Express began in 1989 so, I don't think I saw it then or if I did. My mom told me that we used to get up in the morning when I was 1-2 watching something like Jem or GI Joe or something like that...

I don't remember the exact year Maxie was on (yes it was a cartoon). If you notice in both of my aboved posts, i never said Maxie was on CE, i said it was not on it but it was on the USA Network. Cartoon Express debuted in 1986 or 87, i can't remember.

Brett Ferino
01-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Well, if it was animated and it was a cartoon, it was not on the regular USA Network. It had to be on CE. But not AOE.

Faith
01-21-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Mondello

I don't remember the exact year Maxie was on (yes it was a cartoon). If you notice in both of my aboved posts, i never said Maxie was on CE, i said it was not on it but it was on the USA Network. Cartoon Express debuted in 1986 or 87, i can't remember.

I remember when Cartoon Express debuted in the 80's I was about five or six.. I used to watch it all the time.. my favorite cartoons were Jem, He-Man and She- Ra.

Brett Ferino
01-21-2003, 05:45 AM
I think it debuted in the late 80s.. I'm not sure..

Scoobiedoo30
01-22-2003, 03:36 PM
yes I remember watching The New Scooby Doo Movies and Other cartoon's on The USA Network.

Aaron

Brett Ferino
01-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Oh yeah. Several of the "Scooby" shows aired in the early-mid 1990s on The USA Cartoon Express. I know that because, in CE's 1993-1995 opening, it featured a train of characters from shows like Scooby-Doo, GI Joe, Real Ghostbusters, TMNT, etc. Even the Whammy was in there I think. That was a game show on USA. If he was in the train, why would they put him in there if he aint on CE? Strange 'eh

SCOTTFREE
06-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Don't Forget Clue Club, that was one of my favorite on Cartoon Express along with Inch High Private Eye!!!

Faith
06-12-2003, 04:17 PM
I think it debuted in the late 80s.. I'm not sure..

It debuted when I was five or six, so that means it debuted in 86-87, like someone had said in a previous post.

Brett Ferino
06-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Faith
It debuted when I was five or six, so that means it debuted in 86-87, like someone had said in a previous post.

I dont think so. It said Toonarific has it debuted in February of 1989. And I think before it started, toons like Maxie's World aired pre-1988..

Lee
06-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Gobots aired on Cartoon Express during 1988-89

Brett Ferino
06-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by gbscott1954
Gobots aired on Cartoon Express during 1988-89

So that must have been when it started in '89. Was that when all they had was old H-B toons?

ClassicTV4Ever
06-13-2003, 04:24 PM

Actually Cartoon Express began in the mid-80's, I'm thinking sometime between '85 and '87. But I do have very fond memories of Cartoon Express. Oh how I remember back when USA was something really great to watch. I had my toons and my game shows, couldn't get much better than that, lol.

Brett Ferino
06-14-2003, 06:25 PM
It did start in the mid 80s? Well Toonarific is probably long. I have a leftover newspaper from 1983 and it says cartoon something for USA Network..

allen
06-19-2003, 10:31 PM
The USA Cartoon Express was one of those TV blocks that I thought everyone forgot about. Glad that isn't the case. I agree with the people who say it was on in the mid '80s, as I started watching cartoons around that time when I was 6 or 7, and I was born in 1980. It was a who's who of cartoons, but most of them were from Hanna Barbera such as the Huckleberry Hound, Wally Gator, Pixie&Trixie&Jinx, and classic Yogi Bear Shorts, also full 30 min. toons like Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Pac Man, Dynomutt, HairBear Bunch, Hong Kong Phooey, Biskitts, Shirt Tales, Jana of the Jungle, Space Ghost, Herculoids, Krazy Klaws, Speed Buggy, JabberJaw, Quickie Koala, Go Bots, and Dragon's Lair, just to name a few.

Other toons such as He-Man and She-Ra were not part of the Cartoon Express lineup, as they weren't mentioned in the animated segments with the train. I'm not too sure about Jem and The Holograms, though. But from what I remember, I think that show was outside of the Express block as well.

I remember Calliope very well. It immediately followed the Cartoon Express in the mid '80s, but was cancelled around the '90s. It was a cartoon about and old man and his dog, and the man would tell various stories, which included alot of "Curious George," and was the first time in which I had heard about those stories. Does anyone also remember those "In a Minute" educational shorts, and the "USA Kids Club?"

Brett Ferino
06-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Do you have any old VHS tapes that you can post screen captures of here? I remember the USA Kids Club "Erase The Hate" shorts from 1994-1996..

munn2334
10-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Was Rambo: The Force of Freedom on The USA Cartoon Express.

W.J. Griffin
10-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Actually, the "Cartoon Express" was on USA from the early 1980s (about '81 or '82), and they used to show, in the beginning, a lot of the second-tier Hanna-Barbera shows (Inch-High Private Eye, Clue Club, Wheelie and The Chopper Bunch(my personal favorite), Devlin, Captain Caveman and The Teen-Angels). In the mid-eighties, about '85 or '86, they started showing H-B's 'old-school' output, i.e. Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Pixie and Dixie with Mr. Jinks, Yakky Doodle, Snagglepuss, Magilla Gorilla, etc. There was also a very unremarkable Filmation cartoon they showed called "Sport Billy", about which the less said, the better.

But that's what I remember about "Cartoon Express", and it was a welcome oasis from the then-concurrent drek that was being shown on the Big Three networks at the time (I was born in the early 1960s, so I remember the tv cartoons going from real cool{Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Fantastic Voyage} to real crappy{Here Comes The Grump, Blackstar, The Snorks}...yeesh!)

Will and Grace Fanatic
10-24-2003, 08:49 PM
I remember it they use to air "Captain Planet" I loved that show.

Stuck In The '70's
10-25-2003, 12:18 AM
I remember it.

Harper49
06-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I remembered watching It.

musicradio77
06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I rememeber the "Cartoon Express" since it was aired on USA for many, many years back when I was a kid. I remember the cartoon shows like "Shirt Tales", "Spped Buggy", "Jabberjaw", the "Scooby-Doo" series, and those others that I remember. It also includes some brief segments like "In a Minute", a clone of CBS' "In the News" segment and the "USA Kids Club". All of this stuff that I used to love years ago, but now, it's gone.http://www.sitcomsonline.com/ubb/frown.gif Thanks to Boomerang! I also remember back in around 1993 or 1994, USA usually aired a few cartoons like Mighty Mouse (with a bunch of old cartoons), "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and others. Sadly USA let go of the "Cartoon Express" back in either 1995 or 1996 depend on what year that the whole cartoon block ended. I will post the other thread about the cartoons ran on the USA "Cartton Express" off of GAC Forums under "Termite Terrace Trading Post". That brings back such great memories.

GeorgiaboyJeff!
06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah I remember that! I used to watch the Super Mario Bros cartoon,Problem Child the cartoon, A pup named scooby doo with Ninja Turtles!

06-15-2005, 07:04 PM
[COLOR=Pink]Yeah I remeber USA Cartoon express. I enjoyed watching before I went to school in the mornings. It's too bad that they dont show it anymore. I wish they would bring it back! pissed:

Sailormoonfan44
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I have the tape of Jem and Voltron previews on December 1992. Yes I still remember the USA Network's Cartoon Express. Plus let's make a petition to bring back the old stuff on the USA Network!

Harper49
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, USA Network hasn't got a CE on every Saturyday morning.

Harper49
06-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Anyone?!

AaronHandy3
07-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Yup, I remember it well. Here are my faves seen during that particular run:

The Great Grape Ape Show
Dynomutt Dog Wonder (from what I now believe to be The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour)
Scooby-Doo Where Are You! (with the original theme music)*

*I have VHS recordings from this series from the 1990s. :cool:

And I really dug watching the end credits of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (whenever Dynomutt Dog Wonder was shown, if time remained), which flashed over Scooby Doo and Dynomutt and listening to the Karaoke version of the Scooby-Doo Show theme song.

Steve Carras
07-06-2005, 04:00 AM
I remmeber they showed the few good 80s cartoons..

Trollkins
A bunch of Smurfs of Hazzard. PROBALY the ONLY time that I EVER saw these eclectic TV talents in the same voice cast!
Mel Blanc
Ricky "He's the kid singer song wunderkin guest Partridge-er" Segall
Alan Young who talks to a horse, of course, of course
Scatman Crothers

Plus the recently departed Paul Winchell, starring as Mayor Lumpkin, Jennifer Darling (Pixlee,hsiteendaughter) Steve Spears (boyfriend Blitz, a comic local yokel boy who makes good), and Marshall Efron (a HUGE 1980s TV animation staple--this year in Wedge/Blue Sky-Fox's ROBOTS, credited for a minor role along with Crusader Smurfette Lucille Bliss in anothercameo in ROBOTS)
A Hanna-Barbera production.
9/12/81-9/11/81.
CBS

Kwicky Koala
Segments featuring the great, then just departed Tex Avery's Koala (voiced by mid-century scribe Bob Ogle, famous for his UPA, Depatie-Freleng, WarnerBros., and Hanna Barbera stories, and yes, Ogle wasthe late writer's (d.,mid-80s) REAL lastname AFAIK!), a la Tex Avery's (in creation) and radio/animation voice great Bill Thompso's (in voice) DroopyDog (in turn based on Thompson's radio Wallace Wimple on FIBBER McGEE) , and Oglevoiced under his real name Robert Allen Ogle,as wouldbe the case on a anumber of shows including SHIRT TALES wherehe repisaedthat.
Anonymously, he'd voice for DFE on MR JAWS, the Jaws inspired segment that was the only madeforTV PINK PANTHER SHOW toon in 1975 as meek Harry Halibut, Misterjaws (LAUGH IN [1968-1973] veteran Arte Johnson) andCatfish (Arnold Stang)'s prey) and in the Jim Backus laffriot, yetanotherreprise of his Magoo character form UPA-(WHAT"s NEW MR MAGOO) as dog McBarker ("he's nearsightedtoo").

Chanelling PaulLynde, John Stephenson played Wilford Wolf, the villian of the piece.

This was atypically Avery-ian chase, with the koala diasappearing and nonchalantly commenting on it. One episode had the wolf accidently attracting a kangaroo, & music dir. Hoyt Curtin cues the April, 1963 Epic Records US release, Rolf Harris (popularin Aussie comedy circles) hit TIE ME KANGAROO DOWN SPORT.Other unique uses of music in the soon to be retirted Mr.C was the old 1960s rousin' toe-tappin', show-stoppin' Broadway song (forgot the source), LET A WINNER LEAD THE WAY.

Other segments were -
Crazy Claws----a Groucho Marx-like wildcat (Jim MacGeorge)with a Joe Besser-like ranger (Mike Bell), both up againsta blatant Yosemite Sam impressionist, RawHyde Clyde, the fur trapper (Robert Allen Ogle again)anddog Bristol Tooth (ubiqitous 1980s Sat. Morning voice stand by, Peter Cullen);.Going back to ScoobyDoo, back to Quick DrawMcgraw's dog, RHC would offer Bristoltooth some beef jerky (nothing like a little incentive for a Hanna Barbera sidekick-dog).

Dirty Dog (Frank Welker as Howard Cosell )and Ratso (Marshall Efron) as two grifters seeking a meal ticket.Guess what critters they were.

Bracketing Interstitials on THE KWICKY KOALA Show were George and Joey (respectively, Mike Bell and Al Melvin), another pair of characters(showbiz-inclined this time), inspired by legendary 20th century US author John Steinbeck )(GRAPES OF WRATH, TORTILLA FLAT) 's famed OF MICE AND MEN.

A Tex Avery and HB creation,aHanna Barbera Production.

9/12/81-9/11/82.

80sWizard
07-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Gang,

I vividly remember watching "USA Cartoon Express" circa 1987 (I was born in 1981). But I agree with those who say the block made its first trip back in late 1980 (by which time the name "USA Network" also came into being). And I remember seeing these following cartoons then:

Scooby-Doo (and its sequels)
Jabberjaw
Dynomutt: Dog Wonder (aired as part of "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (Show)" and "Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics")
Pebbles & Bamm Bamm
The Flintstones Comedy Hour (1972)
The New Fred & Barney Show
Captain Caveman & the Teen Angels
The Huckleberry Hound Show
Laff-a-Lympics (aired as part of "Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics" and "Scooby's All-Stars")

Thus, does anyone have any video clips of the CE opening/closing promos from 1980-88? I remember seeing such promo spots (before/after commercials) such as the bikers one, and the music used prior to 1988 being that of a generic pop/rock theme.

And yes, I also remember the mid-'80s opening promo for "USA Saturday Cartoon Express." Same music, except instead of seeing the animated planet scene, there is a TV tube on the train and on a light blue background there were orange words reading "USA SATURDAY CARTOON EXPRESS".

Does anyone remember any of this?

Ben (80sWizard)

peachysquirt21
07-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Oh man this brings back memories. Sigh I loved the Great Ape & Jabberjaw among alot of the others. It is so depressing that nowadays you dont have cartoons on like they use. The 80s so ruled for cartoons.