PDA

View Full Version : Here Is The Deal With Betty White & Bea Arthur

ethelmaepotter
06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I've seen so much crapola online about the relationship between Betty White & Bea Arthur, I wanted to clear some things up because I knew both ladies, but was closer to Betty White. Because I am closer to Betty, do not assume this is a one-sided statement of the facts. It is simply a statement of the facts:

1. Betty White and Bea Arthur detested each other. The dislike began even before "The Golden Girls" as they both knew each other somewhat, having similar friends and connections.

2. You must understand both Betty & Bea have their good qualities, but both are women who have spent decades in something called show business, which makes you a cold, hard pissed off MF...if you know what I mean. Every major star harbors bitterness at things that have happened to them in this business, losing out on good parts, getting smaller paychecks than they should have, etc.

3. Betty White is not purely innocent. And Bea Arthur was one tough old broad with an acid tongue. She was frank and honest, sometimes not at the right times.

4. Finally, here is the biggie: Betty and Bea were really the big-name stars when Golden Girls began. No one heard of Estelle Getty and Rue had been on Maude, but hardly a household name. While there was a lot of behind the scenes that went on that I won't get into, Bea Arthur was officially labeled the star of "The Golden Girls"...NOT Betty White. Bea was considered the only star because Bea received a percentage of the series profits in syndication, even after her terms of residuals as an actress had ran out. Betty did not have the same deal. Thus, tremendous resentment grew between the actresses. And, both Bea and Betty had similar names for each other.

That is the story. They hated each other out of the gate and it grew and grew. Also, for the first couple of years, Bea was less than kind to Estelle and Rue was withdrawn mostly.

Marvo301
06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. It's too bad these ladies couldn't have found a way to get along with each other but I guess that's just how life is sometimes.

andress_jade
06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I find that hard to believe but you did say that you knew Betty personally. The reason why I find that hard to believe was that on the last episode when Bea left, they were all very sad and they all cried. Not just onscreen but offscreen as well. The tears we saw were real tears. That didn't look like the tears of someone who hated the person who was leaving.
After Bea's death, there was an article written about her death and Rue and Betty's reactions to it. Both Rue and Betty were devastated with Bea's death, again it didn't sound like someone who hated the person who died.
I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just saying what I have seen and what you have said and they don't match at all.
I was a big fan of the Golden Girls and to me, I never got the impression that they didn't get along. Even in the blooper reel, they got along.
Bea and Betty always seemed the best of friends to me. I don't think I could work that closely with someone I didn't like for so long. I have worked with someone I didn't like and finally had to quit. If Bea and Betty really hated each other that much, one or the other would have left before there was ever a seventh season. Just my observation.

angel676
06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???:confused:

Benny JR
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I find that hard to believe but you did say that you knew Betty personally. The reason why I find that hard to believe was that on the last episode when Bea left, they were all very sad and they all cried. Not just onscreen but offscreen as well. The tears we saw were real tears. That didn't look like the tears of someone who hated the person who was leaving.
After Bea's death, there was an article written about her death and Rue and Betty's reactions to it. Both Rue and Betty were devastated with Bea's death, again it didn't sound like someone who hated the person who died.
I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just saying what I have seen and what you have said and they don't match at all.
I was a big fan of the Golden Girls and to me, I never got the impression that they didn't get along. Even in the blooper reel, they got along.
Bea and Betty always seemed the best of friends to me. I don't think I could work that closely with someone I didn't like for so long. I have worked with someone I didn't like and finally had to quit. If Bea and Betty really hated each other that much, one or the other would have left before there was ever a seventh season. Just my observation.

TOTALLY agree with what you just said! I never got the impression that they did not get along and I wonder how this person 'knows' Betty White?

Benny JR
06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???:confused:

Well said! My question is how does the person who started this thread 'know' Betty White exactly? What was it, a chance meeting with her years ago, a fan letter, what?

ratherbwatchinGG
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Precisley..not only for the first five years but agree to another two. I can't say that they were the best of friends no one has to be to work together but I can't quite believe the hatred was so strong there. Bea's contract was up after 5 years and she extended it another 2...why do that if the feelings are so strong? I know I couldn't that...no matter how sweet the deal.

Scoobiedoo30
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes Thanks for shareing

Zoneboy
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I've seen so much crapola online about the relationship between Betty White & Bea Arthur, I wanted to clear some things up because I knew both ladies, but was closer to Betty White. Because I am closer to Betty, do not assume this is a one-sided statement of the facts. It is simply a statement of the facts:

How can you claim to know and be as close to Betty White as you say you are when a year ago you stated in another post that you had a friend who was a friend of Betty's?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?p=3966401#post3966401

I just have to say that I have a friend who is a friend of Betty White's. Awhile back, she signed my copy of the first season DVD of The Golden Girls and I had a chance to meet with her. I will tell you, for a woman her age, she is as bright and vivacious as ever. I have always adored Betty White and meeting her just makes me love her more. I have met many celebrities in my life, having worked in entertainment for a long time, and most of them are huge disappointments. However, meeting Betty White and a few years back, Carol Burnett, was a privilege and an honor.

This post which was made about a year ago and your current one seem to contradict each other. Just because you met Betty White and had your dvd signed doesn't mean you actually know and are close to the woman and from the way you've tried to "clear things up" as you put it, You're speaking as though you've known her for years. In that post you said that you had a chance to meet with her, You said nothing about knowing her personally nor being close to her. There's a big difference between meeting a person and actually being close to them and it's no different with a celebrity.

Finally, here is the biggie: Betty and Bea were really the big-name stars when Golden Girls began.

No biggie there, That's common knowledge to anyone that watched the show.

shipoopi
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I took a picture of Betty White in January 1993 while she was the "Star of the Day" at the Disney-MGM Studios daily parade.

She was looking away as she approached my position, so I screamed at the top of my lungs: "BETTY!" She whipped around to see what the hell was the matter and that's when I took her picture.

When the film was developed I had captured a great baffled look on her face - priceless.

Stuck In The '70's
06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
How can you claim to know and be as close to Betty White as you say you are when a year ago you stated in another post that you had a friend who was a friend of Betty's?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?p=3966401#post3966401

This post which was made about a year ago and your current one seem to contradict each other. Just because you met Betty White and had your dvd signed doesn't mean you actually know and are close to the woman and from the way you've tried to "clear things up" as you put it, You're speaking as though you've known her for years. In that post you said that you had a chance to meet with her, You said nothing about knowing her personally nor being close to her. There's a big difference between meeting a person and actually being close to them and it's no different with a celebrity.

No biggie there, That's common knowledge to anyone that watched the show.
Great find Charles. I had a hard time believing this person anyway. As some others said, why would they even consider working with each other if they hated each other so much. All the time that the GG aired, I never heard of any backstage feud. They might not have been close but I find it hard to believe there was so much hate between them. And of course they were the big name stars on the show. I knew Rue McClanahan from Maude and Mama's Family but she wasn't as big of a name at the time. I never even heard of Estelle Getty before.

mattc
10-31-2009, 11:36 PM
This is bogus for sure. I read Rue's autobiography, and she mentions that their relationship (Betty and Bea's) was not "what I would have liked," but she did say that Bea and Betty had lunch together everyday, and that there was no resentment on the set.

Also, when you watch the bloopers vid of GG, you can see Bea and Betty laughing with each other, and at one point, Bea laughs and leans on Betty's lap.. hardly the type of action of two people who "detest" each other.

My gut instinct, after watching interviews with both ladies, is that Bea has an ego, and did not like that Betty won the emmy first (something even Rue admitted in her book), and was nominated every year. Bea also didn't like that she was the the last one to win the emmy. Rue has stated in interviews that Bea was used to being the star of a show (maude), and this makes me feel that she was annoyed that GG was an ensemble.

Obviously Bea is incredibly talented, but it sort of sucks to hear this stuff, as it really does come off that Bea was an arrogant entertainer who felt shafted at times and was into being "the lead" of the show.

ratherbwatchinGG
11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't put much into what Rue says either. I know she was there but she also says in one of her interviews that the reason Maude ended was that SHE was offered a show. If Bea was used to being the star of the show why stay with GG for 7 years?

It's been said many times over that Bea was terribly shy and very sensitive (not lending much credence to being very arrogant). What Bea was, was brutally honest. There may or may not have been a queeze in their relationship but the only people who can say are Bea and Betty. Bea can no longer say and Betty is not saying.

I'm sure not winning an emmy hurts, especially when you feel you have put your best work forward. Seeing your colleagues win can be a bit unsettling for anyone with any type of personality or ego. BTW - we all have egos!

tunameltd
11-21-2009, 11:28 PM
With all the wonderful things Miss Arthur has done in her life, wouldn't it be great to see her final interview, in HER OWN WORDS talking about her career etc.

I found this clip of Bea Arthur's final interview. The clip also show Betty White, Carol Channing and Phyllis Diller.

We need to contact Merv Griffin Productions and see if entire interview will be aired. An email that was given to me was:

roy_bank@griffingroup.com

I'd hate for an full interview with Bea or the other legendary ladies in the clip to go unseen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTi7rsk3GY

Dr. Thong
11-22-2009, 12:19 PM

$$$

Money talks.

And they needed a job.

Do you get along with everyone you work with?

JL82
11-22-2009, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=mattc]This is bogus for sure. I read Rue's autobiography, and she mentions that their relationship (Betty and Bea's) was not "what I would have liked," but she did say that Bea and Betty had lunch together everyday, and that there was no resentment on the set.

Also, when you watch the bloopers vid of GG, you can see Bea and Betty laughing with each other, and at one point, Bea laughs and leans on Betty's lap.. hardly the type of action of two people who "detest" each other.

I have trouble believing that someone who is really in the know would post in the fashion that our original poster did here.

But I have to say, I have watched the bloopers videos, and they almost seem to stay in character when they tease each other. Have you seen the one where Betty says, "Bea screwed up," very Rose-like? And Bea is still in Dorothy-character when she goes, "Yes, I did." Same where Bea corrects Betty's mistake on "Belgian," versus "Belgium." I guess I'm not very good at picking up on these things, but I'm not sure I would swear it was all truly good-natured.

PinkKupcake86
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I agree wit u...
well if thts the case they deserved all the awards they received for the show bc they must have been sum reallly good actresses....i dont believe tht one i think they got along jus fine.lol

lucyandethel
01-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I've read a lot of things about actors on series not getting along with each other and I say, really, who cares? I mean, what is the point? Why ruin our cherished memories of these shows. I suspect just like in any job, you work with people you love and some people you may not care much for. Such is life. I love the Golden Girls, whether they all got along or not.:)

Dr. Thong
01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that a TV show is like a job. It's a place where people work and make their living. Does everyone here get along with everyone they work with? Maybe not. Are there people we don't like or agree with? Probably.

I think some of us like to idealize these shows -- that everyone got along on (insert your favorite show here) and they were just "one big happy family."

Personally, all I care about is if the show's any good. I just want to be entertained. While I do find "behind the scenes" books and shows to be of interest, ultimately, what matters most is the show. As Shakespeare once said, "The play's the thing."

OOliver
01-16-2010, 02:59 PM
It's always on the most successful TV shows where you hear some members of the cast didn't get along...

"I Love Lucy" - Ball vs. Frawley
"Bewitched" - Montgomery vs. York, Lynde vs. Morrehead, Sargent vs. Moorehead
"All In The Family" - Stapleton vs. O'Connor
"Three's Company" - DeWitt vs. Somers
"Good Times" - Rolle vs. Walker; Ames vs. Walker
"Laverne and Shirley" - Marshall vs. Williams
"Rhoda" - Harper vs. Kavner

As long as there are TV shows, there will always be egos and Emmys.
As long as there are egos and Emmys, there will always be friction among the stars.
As long as there is friction among stars, there will always be fodder for the tabloids and gossip.

Dr. Thong
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
It's always on the most successful TV shows where you hear some members of the cast didn't get along...

I never heard or read about those two not getting along. I know there was some friction between O' Connor and producer Norman Lear, which resulted in O' Connor walking out and missing some episodes (the "Archie Is Missing" storyline), but that was it.

I remember reading in the National Enquirer that there was some friction between O' Connor and Sally Struthers after Gloria was spun off into her own show because she blew him off, but never heard anything about any fight with Stapleton.

Madame X
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
With a bogus post, notice that the poster doesn't respond or come back and defend their statements! pinoc:

ThomasE
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe the posting is true. I don't want to go and criticize the poster. However, I remember seeing Betty, Bea and Rue on the 2008 TV Land Awards and there was a lot of love between Bea and Betty and Rue as well. If there were differences, I am glad that the matters were put to the side or resolved before Bea's passing.

McGillicuddy
01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I think something happened in later years. Actually the first I heard any dissention between the two is when Bea was performining her one woman show and in the audience was Estelle Getty and Betty White. Bea made it a point to acknowledge Estelle was there, but totally ignored Betty, who was stunned and hurt. Also the annomosity always seemed 1-sided, (on Bea's part).
One thing I find curious is that Rue was not only at Bea Arthur's memorial service, but she spoke. Betty was not there at all, and no explanation was ever offered. It was explained why all 3 missed Estelle Getty's funeral.

ThomasE
01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
If Bea did that, that was awfully selfish of her. I do remember hearing something about that. Oh well. It looked like they were getting along on the TV Land awards.

JL82
01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I think Bea is a great comic/entertainer, but I suspect that in some ways, on Golden Girls, Betty may have had a more difficult acting job. It can be tough to "play dumb" for comedy, and I think Dorothy may have been closer to Bea's real personality than Rose was to Betty's.

OOliver
01-30-2010, 04:04 PM
I never heard or read about those two not getting along. I know there was some friction between O' Connor and producer Norman Lear, which resulted in O' Connor walking out and missing some episodes (the "Archie Is Missing" storyline), but that was it.

I remember reading in the National Enquirer that there was some friction between O' Connor and Sally Struthers after Gloria was spun off into her own show because she blew him off, but never heard anything about any fight with Stapleton.

It wasn't "a fight" with Stapleton, but it was reported that he was "cool" towards her since she would never back him up when he butt heads with Norman Lear. It later resurfaced when Stapleton didn't attend his funeral in 2001. (She claimed she had another comittment, but others said 'nonsense!').

JR1
03-12-2010, 08:54 PM
On "I Love Lucy," it was moreso Vivian Vance and William Frawley who HATED each other- with apassion, go the reports. But, it worked for the characters they played, didn't it?

Bea and Betty probably were not the best of friends- Bea even said that they weren't having dinner at each other's houses or anything- but it seems they had a civil, appreocative-of-the-other relationship.

Dr. Thong
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Just because people work together doesn't mean they're friends. I get along with most of the people I work with, but I don't see them outside of work.

Ted Danson and Shelley Long didn't get along offscreen, but that didn't stop them from doing some great work together on Cheers.

What matters most to me is the work. If a show or movie is well-written and well-acted, then I'm happy.

JR1
03-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I think as fans of the work, we sometimes like to think that how we saw them interact on the show is how they were in real life- but that's obviously not always the case.

I have no doubts that Betty and Bea had great respect for each other as professionals.

mstewart
04-03-2010, 12:29 PM

"I Love Lucy" - Ball vs. Frawley
"Bewitched" - Montgomery vs. York, Lynde vs. Morrehead, Sargent vs. Moorehead
"Three's Company" - DeWitt vs. Somers
"Good Times" - Rolle vs. Walker; Ames vs. Walker
"Laverne and Shirley" - Marshall vs. Williams
"Rhoda" - Harper vs. Kavner

As long as there are TV shows, there will always be egos and Emmys.
As long as there are egos and Emmys, there will always be friction among the stars.
As long as there is friction among stars, there will always be fodder for the tabloids and gossip.

Alice - Linda Lavin vs Polly Holliday; Linda Lavin vs Diane Ladd
Too Close for Comfort - Ted Knight vs Nancy Dussault

zypherix
04-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Alice - Linda Lavin vs Polly Holliday; Linda Lavin vs Diane Ladd
Too Close for Comfort - Ted Knight vs Nancy Dussault

Roseanne - Roseanne Barr vs [insert any name here]

Rezny@gmail.com
05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I think I have an idea about WHY they supposedly didn't like each other(and I have NO idea if it's true),by watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,last night,when they had Betty White (delightful as always)on the show,and included a collage of clips from her past TV performances,and included a clip from a "Dinah's Place" (or "Dinah")with the late Dinah Shore,in which Bea Arthur and Betty White guested,and both sang "42nd Street" and it sounded to me like Bea was trying to drown Betty out.That could be why they supposedly didn't get along.But who knows?Did anyone else see "The Tonight Show"with Jay Leno last night?

LittleRickyII
05-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I think I have an idea about WHY they supposedly didn't like each other(and I have NO idea if it's true),by watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,last night,when they had Betty White (delightful as always)on the show,and included a collage of clips from her past TV performances,and included a clip from a "Dinah's Place" (or "Dinah")with the late Dinah Shore,in which Bea Arthur and Betty White guested,and both sang "42nd Street" and it sounded to me like Bea was trying to drown Betty out.That could be why they supposedly didn't get along.But who knows?Did anyone else see "The Tonight Show"with Jay Leno last night?

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tde2tH5dhXs

Rezny@gmail.com
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes,that is exactly what I mean.Thanks.

McGillicuddy
05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Wow that's interesting. Way before The Golden Girls! It looks like Maude and Sue Ann together. I don't think there could have been dissention between the two way back then! I sure never knew they ever appeared together at all before GG.

lucyandethel
05-27-2010, 03:41 AM
I never heard that Jean Stapleton & Carroll O'Connor from "All in the Family" didn't get along. Not sure I buy that one.

I remember reading in Rue McClanahan's bio that Bea Arthur was a little tough on Estelle Getty in the beginning of "The Golden Girls" and then the two grew to love each other.

I don't necessarily buy that Betty White & Bea Arthur "hated" each other. But, I believe they were both very different people, at least from what I can understand. I am certain they didn't always see eye to eye, but to say they hated each other is not really possible to me.

Backstage gossip is usually just that...gossip....

Dr. Thong
05-27-2010, 03:46 PM
This may be colored by what I've seen in her characters, but Bea Arthur always struck me as a blunt, tell-it-like-it-is person...no BS. And that kind of person can rub others the wrong way.

They don't usually mean to, but when people don't sugar-coat their opinions or observations, it can be a bit hard to take...especially if you don't know them well.

Like the expression goes: There's three sides to every story: You'rs, mine & the truth.;)

SueAnn_Rose
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I still don't think they didn't get along but I think we should all just let it be and if they didn't like each other that should be all in the past now. Since Bea is no longer with us we can't really know what went on between all of the girls but all we can do is just stop thinking that they were not getting along.

McGillicuddy
05-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I think its just something that's just been fueled with rumors, and blown way out of proportion. The only thing I think is sad is that Betty was not at Bea's memorial service, while Rue was, and even gave a eulogy. I wonder if she was not welcomed to come, or just declined.

OOliver
06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Upon the news of her death this morning, here is what one researcher recalled Rue saying about her castmate Bea Arthur not too long ago...

When Arthur died in April 2009, McClanahan recalled that she had felt constrained by "Golden Girls" during the later years of its run. "Bea liked to be the star of the show. She didn't really like to do that ensemble playing," McClanahan said.

onthesetflickr
06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
From looking at some of the old bloopers Bea was tough on the set. She wanted everyone to get the lines right the first time and every time. Yes she was important to the show but without the others there would have been no Golden Girls at all. The original poster makes sense. With two huge names on one set there was bound to be some friction.

See a model of the Golden Girls set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24682838@N05/3391967073

Dr. Thong
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Bea was the one who really pulled that ensemble together. She was the leader.

When they tried continuing on without her in The Golden Palace, it wasn't the same. The only good episodes were when she guest-starred.

scotsguy
06-06-2010, 11:27 AM
The only thing I ever read about Bea and Betty was that when Bea left "The Golden Girls" and the show finished,Betty felt the show could have gone on for a few more years.

So sad only Betty is alive now.

McGillicuddy
06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
The Golden Girls, would have never been the phenomenal success it became without each of the 4 actresses, as well as each of the 4 characters. I don't know of any other show in history where the principle characters complemented each other so well. This showed when Bea left, and the others went on to The Golden Palace.

Its sad to think Bea was that unhappy being part of an ensemble. One can only hope she realized how much her work on GG was appriciated by so many diehard fans. I can't imagine any other actress in the role of Dorothy.

Karen197488
06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I say believe what you want to believe. If Bea and Betty hated each other why did it last seven seasons!!

I also read in Rue McClanahan's book, page # 273. last paragraph--

"Despite any rumors of lurking tension, Bea refused to go to lunch without Betty everyday. On Fridays, we had dinner in our bathrobes between the afternoon and evening shows, across the lot in a big dining room full of the cast and crew, where we got rewrites for the evening show. Bea would never walk across the lot to dinner until Betty was ready to walk with her, even if Betty made her wait, and they sat next to each other in the dining hall."

ThomasE
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Well, that was nice of Bea to do that. It almost sound love/hate to me.

Dr. Thong
06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I say believe what you want to believe. If Bea and Betty hated each other why did it last seven seasons!!

Because it was a top rated show and they were very well paid. Whether they were friends or not, it was a job.

Superbatboy
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM

I also read in Rue McClanahan's book, page # 273. last paragraph--

"Despite any rumors of lurking tension, Bea refused to go to lunch without Betty everyday. On Fridays, we had dinner in our bathrobes between the afternoon and evening shows, across the lot in a big dining room full of the cast and crew, where we got rewrites for the evening show. Bea would never walk across the lot to dinner until Betty was ready to walk with her, even if Betty made her wait, and they sat next to each other in the dining hall."
Awwww, that sounds so sweet :lol:

Rezny@gmail.com
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Betty White mentioned on "The Joy Behar Show"tonight that she wrote an autobiography,many years ago.Maybe it tells in that.If anyone has it,let us know!

SueAnn_Rose
06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
What a nice thing Bea did for Betty. I believe that story cause really if they didn't like each other than why did they work 7 seasons on a show together and every scene they had was together?.

lovebetty
06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
What a nice thing Bea did for Betty. I believe that story cause really if they didn't like each other than why did they work 7 seasons on a show together and every scene they had was together?.
I agree

McGillicuddy
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Betty doesn't detest anybody!! Things were great for the first five years of GG, but by season 6, Bea was unhappy, and ready to call it quits. She stuck it out 2 more seasons. Thats all there is to the story.

liane49
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Marvo301]Thanks for sharing this with us. It's too bad these ladies couldn't have found a way to get along with each other but I guess that's just how life is sometimes.[/QUOBett
Betty was on Joy Beher's talk show and she said Bea wasn't found of her and she never knew why but Betty really liked her. I mean, who wouldn't like Betty?

Dr. Thong
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM

$$$

80sTrivia
07-18-2013, 05:45 AM
I guess I don't like hearing that Bea and Betty did not particularly care for each other, as it breaks the mystique around the show and the characters. I suppose I just want to imagine that the actresses embodied the characters that they played, because their relationships on the show seemed very genuine and heart-felt. I guess this means they truly were gifted actors!!! ;)

king of comedy
07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I guess I don't like hearing that Bea and Betty did not particularly care for each other, as it breaks the mystique around the show and the characters. I suppose I just want to imagine that the actresses embodied the characters that they played, because their relationships on the show seemed very genuine and heart-felt. I guess this means they truly were gifted actors!!! ;)
They both had great chemistry and that's what made the show work.

Sean Conner
07-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Here is a video where Betty White admits Bea Arthur was not fond of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-wTJ2hQCK8

"Bea was not that fond of me ... but I loved Bea."

So, there was definitely some tension, though, I don't know if that equals Bea hating Betty.

What I think is more true has already been established in this thread - Bea was a very blunt and sometimes distant person. I don't take that to mean she hated everyone, but rather just had a difficult time showcasing her emotions.

My grandmother, my mom's mother, who I was extremely close with, had a very similar personality. She was Irish and could be blunt, non-emotional in emotional situations and definitely ruffled feathers by some of her comments. If, however, you got beyond that hard shell, there was someone there who was extremely caring and would do just about anything for you - I mean, seriously go to the mat for you.

I get the sense that was Bea. She might've gotten irritated with Betty or Rue and maybe was a stick sometimes, but at the end of the day, I don't think she would've ever turned her back on any of 'em and it plays right into what Rue wrote in her autobiography - she was there for Betty, even if she gave off the appearance of someone who wasn't too fond of her.

Tybo28
08-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Here's the deal, there is no way these women worked together for 7 years and got along 100% of the time. It's just not gonna happen, especially in show business. Actors all have different backgrounds, training, and egos. There isn't a show on television that has run that long where you won't find disputes like this. The fact that they even awknowledged their differences, when most try to just pretend it didn't happen, is probably proof enough that the reasons they give are probably true.

Bea Arthur had a mostly theatre background, whereas Betty White's was almost exclusively television. Those are two completely different worlds. I think Bea did have an ego, but I also think she was the most "professional" of the girls. Not that the others didn't take it seriously, but Bea looked at it as a very serious job. It was work and comedy is hard. Her personal relationships came second to getting the job done. In theatre there is no room for mistakes, you play it through and you go home. I'm sure Bea didn't like having to do multiple takes if someone screwed up (including herself) or waiting for anyone who might be late. Also, in theatre, breaking character in front of an audience is considered extremely unprofessional. Betty White would talk to the audience and make jokes in between scenes, Im sure that drove Bea crazy, as Im sure she was the type to stay in character. Again, it's just a difference in working styles. I'm guessing the set was more "relaxed" than Bea would have liked.

In a show like this, there is always going to be rifts about who has more storylines, the better storylines, the best jokes, costumes, etc. that's just how it goes. I don't think Bea personally disliked any of them, including Betty. I think she just didn't always enjoy WORKING with them. Watch an interview with Bea, and then one with Betty. It takes about 10 seconds to realize these women have completely different personalities. Betty is relaxed, laid back and often laughs and smiles. Bea is stern and serious. She doesn't make jokes and considers herself a serious legitimate actress, because she was. there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure those differences reflect in their working relationship too. Remember, Bea was a New York actress and Betty was an L.A. actress. Even today, those are very different.

Bea really was the anchor of the show, as evidenced by the disasterous Golden Palace. That's a lot of responsibility. She probably understood that as well, and I'm sure winning the Emmy last did hurt her, and probably sparked some jealous feelings. She was able to play Dorothy so great because she was a terrific actress, not because she could relate. I love all the girls, but I feel like Bea takes a lot of slack just because her professionalism is seen as unkind. Some of the best comedians are not the most warm and friendly people that everyone wants them to be.

80sTrivia
08-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Here's the deal, there is no way these women worked together for 7 years and got along 100% of the time. It's just not gonna happen, especially in show business. Actors all have different backgrounds, training, and egos. There isn't a show on television that has run that long where you won't find disputes like this. The fact that they even awknowledged their differences, when most try to just pretend it didn't happen, is probably proof enough that the reasons they give are probably true.

Bea Arthur had a mostly theatre background, whereas Betty White's was almost exclusively television. Those are two completely different worlds. I think Bea did have an ego, but I also think she was the most "professional" of the girls. Not that the others didn't take it seriously, but Bea looked at it as a very serious job. It was work and comedy is hard. Her personal relationships came second to getting the job done. In theatre there is no room for mistakes, you play it through and you go home. I'm sure Bea didn't like having to do multiple takes if someone screwed up (including herself) or waiting for anyone who might be late. Also, in theatre, breaking character in front of an audience is considered extremely unprofessional. Betty White would talk to the audience and make jokes in between scenes, Im sure that drove Bea crazy, as Im sure she was the type to stay in character. Again, it's just a difference in working styles. I'm guessing the set was more "relaxed" than Bea would have liked.

In a show like this, there is always going to be rifts about who has more storylines, the better storylines, the best jokes, costumes, etc. that's just how it goes. I don't think Bea personally disliked any of them, including Betty. I think she just didn't always enjoy WORKING with them. Bea really was the anchor of the show, as evidenced by the disasterous Golden Palace. That's a lot of responsibility. She probably understood that as well, and I'm sure winning the Emmy last did hurt her, and probably sparked some jealous feelings. She was able to play Dorothy so great because she was a terrific actress, not because she could relate. I love all the girls, but I feel like Bea takes a lot of slack just because her professionalism is seen as unkind. Some of the best comedians are not the most warm and friendly people that everyone wants them to be.

Excellent post!!! :clap: :clap :clap:

ShamelessFanGirl
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

In a show like this, there is always going to be rifts about who has more storylines, the better storylines, the best jokes, costumes, etc. that's just how it goes. I don't think Bea personally disliked any of them, including Betty. I think she just didn't always enjoy WORKING with them. Watch an interview with Bea, and then one with Betty. It takes about 10 seconds to realize these women have completely different personalities. Betty is relaxed, laid back and often laughs and smiles. Bea is stern and serious. She doesn't make jokes and considers herself a serious legitimate actress, because she was. there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure those differences reflect in their working relationship too.

Bea really was the anchor of the show, as evidenced by the disasterous Golden Palace. That's a lot of responsibility. She probably understood that as well, and I'm sure winning the Emmy last did hurt her, and probably sparked some jealous feelings. She was able to play Dorothy so great because she was a terrific actress, not because she could relate. I love all the girls, but I feel like Bea takes a lot of slack just because her professionalism is seen as unkind. Some of the best comedians are not the most warm and friendly people that everyone wants them to be.

Great post! I agree 100% with everything that you said.

ahafan02
08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Bea was an extremely professional actress. She considered herself a serious actress and she took her profession seriously. She had very little patience with anyone that did not feel the same as she. She had very little tolerance for people who were not prepared (not remembering their lines, etc.). Poor Estelle had to learn the hard way because in the beginning she had some difficulty remembering her lines (she wasn't used to working with scripts that changed a lot over the course of the week). Bea hated they way Betty would sometimes joke with the audience as Bea felt the audience should be ignored as if they didn't exist as she felt it was important to the performances. She also hated the way Betty would stop in the middle of rehearsals to play with the animals that would occasionally be part of the episodes. Betty sometimes would not be happy with the way the animals were being treated which made Bea annoyed. Bea wanted to be star of the show, as she was used to. Like Rue stated in her biography Bea did not like to be part of an ensemble and I am surprised she made it thru seven seasons. I'm sure watching the other actresses get Emmy awards probably added to her hatred of ensemble playing. Bea was a very strong willed, no nonsense kind of woman. She was a great actress in her own right.

Bloem
02-16-2014, 01:33 PM
orly:
I've seen so much crapola online about the relationship between Betty White & Bea Arthur...
as displayed in your post :eek2: :yousuck: :censored: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_uorR_e_Y

Wildchats
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, you ignore the audience if it's a live taping, but during tape stops it would seem nice to interact with them. I guess they're both right in their own way, but Bea clearly just cared about being the star and didn't care about her audience, Betty was always caring of everyone, including the cast.

liane49
02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. It's too bad these ladies couldn't have found a way to get along with each other but I guess that's just how life is sometimes.
Betty was on Joy Behard's talk show once and said she didn't know why Bea didn't like her but she did like Bea.

ThomasE
02-28-2014, 01:31 PM
I saw the clip. I thought Betty had a lot of class with the way that she handled it. Just excellent.

KatieAnn
02-28-2014, 06:36 PM
I love Bea Arthur. I love her in everything I've ever seen her in but she doesn't "seem" like the type of person who likes anybody all that much. She just seems like a "tough" person who was probably toughest on herself. I can believe that she wasn't crazy about Betty all the time but it all really sounds typical - a lot of times co-workers aren't crazy about each other but they go in and do their jobs and then they go home.

I also believe that it was probably mutual to some degree. Sometimes I think Betty downplays her own mixed feelings when it comes to Bea because it looks better to be the one who "likes" everyone.

ThomasE
02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Well said, Katie Ann. Well said. Especially about the part about Bea being tough on herself.

RetroGuy2000
03-01-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm with Katie on this: Bea was tough on herself and her cast mates. She was a bit of a perfectionist, and they weren't.

I think Betty downplays the rivalry in part because she has a lot of class, and won't speak ill of someone who can no longer defend herself.

Bloem
03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Class? After Bea can no longer respond Betty says she didn't like her and don't know what she did wrong, but oh how she loved Bea.
"You Bad, Me Good. Isn't that the truth, Bea?"
.........silence.........

ThomasE
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Betty could have trashed the woman but she did not. She did handle the matter with class. Betty was asked a question and gave an answer without bashing Bea. I thought it was well done. She spoke what she felt was truth in her heart.

Bloem
03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I assume she's speaking the truth of her heart as well.
The thing is for me is, she has been asked this question forever since the taping of GG. Always the rumors of trouble on the set. But no, all was perfect.
My guess is, Betty also responds with this to the C story that must have reached her ears by then.
Eh, it just bothers me to never hear B's true answer, that's really it.
Or.. maybe we have anyway;)

RetroGuy2000
03-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Betty could have trashed the woman but she did not. She did handle the matter with class. Betty was asked a question and gave an answer without bashing Bea. I thought it was well done. She spoke what she felt was truth in her heart.

Yep. She had many nice things to say about Bea, and the worst thing she said was that Bea didn't always like her.

The thing is, they were wonderful actresses, and neither one let on that there was ever any trouble between them. That's the mark of talented actresses! One cannot say the same for Linda Lavin, who came across on camera as hostile to two of the co-stars on Alice. That's classless.

Bloem
03-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Neither one let on, to the news media, that there was any trouble between them. When all of them were alive!
After one has died, Betty decides to speak up.
And saying more than Bea didn't always like her (suggesting that she actually does know the reason why..)
"Bea had a reserve", She found me a pain in the neck sometimes because of my positive atitude, I'm happy all the time and that made Bea mad sometimes,
Sometimes if I was happy she'd be furious".

No, she didn't say anything nasty or unkind about Bea.
The point is, it's her side of the story, her perspective.
And without opportunity for the other side to give a response, ever.
Maybe Bea would have said she was correct, that was indeed the reason for any friction. Or maybe she had another side to the story, or something to add...
Why in hell would anyone call Betty the C word?
Because she is happy all the time??

ramled
03-15-2014, 06:22 AM
I don't think Bea disliked Betty because of her positive attitude. I don't think Bea disliked Betty because Betty interacted with the audience during tapings. I think Bea thought that Betty was a ham and insincere.

Most people who like Betty White like her from a distance or like her at arms length. No one really is close close to Betty White. She is one of those stars who is gregarious, personable, poised and generally nice. But she is not very emotionally available or emotionally exposed, maybe in part because of the loss of her husband.

Bea on the other hand read people for who they were. She cut to the chase and gravitated to fully honesty folks. She did not know how to be fake or pandering like Betty could.

I do think they competed too. It was mostly fun competition, but deep down, they all competed against each other, including Betty. She just hid it better because she knew how to pander to an audience and the media better than Bea.

I am not saying either personality type is wrong. I'm only saying that they are so drastically different, its easy to understand that they clashed. They clashed in a way where Betty could just continue to ham it up and smile for all of us, while Bea couldn't do that. So she was clearly more dismissive and cold about her relationship with Betty. And to Bea's credit, she never said anything publicly bad about Betty, only to her closest friends. That earns respect in my book too.