PDA

View Full Version : Ed Platt's Death

tv star collector
08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I've read conflicting accounts of Ed Platt's death. An online source, a Get
Smart website, claims that he committed suicide (after two previous
attempts); while Joey Green's book, The Get Smart Handbook, states
that he died of a heart attack. Which story is correct?

Mikado
08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
He died of a suicide, however, this was covered up with the heart attack story for several years, to avoid embarrassement to the family (Suicide was considered rather taboo back then)

Tweety
02-15-2009, 02:00 PM
According to the wiki article, someone claiming to be Platt's son said that his father did, in fact, commit suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Platt

"... Platt is believed to have died of a heart attack in 1974 at the age of 58. In August 2007, a Get Smart fan website published an interview with a man claiming to be Edward's son Jeff Platt in which he stated that his father had died as a result of a suicide, caused by depression and financial difficulties. He left four children from two marriages and a brother living in Santa Barbara, California. His ashes were scattered at sea... "

MickeyMac
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow I never knew this. Its real sad that he took his own life. I really liked him as the chief.

Pus$y Galore
02-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow, I never knew this. I always thought it was the heart attack. I don't blame the family for hiding it though.

Really sad.

edplattfan
08-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Yes, it was suicide. I am the owner of the Ed Platt Tribute site and his son Jeff has contributed to it and the Get Smart site. Ed had a daughter from marriage 1 and another son and daughter from marriage 2. Both ended in divorce. Ed tried to kill himself at least twice. He had depression but back then the help wasn't available. It's only been in the last decade that the family, or at least JEff, has come fwd with the true cause of Ed's death. They want people to know that help is available and hopefully prevent people from losing a loved one to depression.

MikeL
08-07-2013, 12:22 AM
how he commit suicide though this is so sad may he rip

edplattfan
08-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I think Ed killed himself with pills. he did suffer from a bad back and missed some eps. of GS because of this. What I find interesting is the newspaper story on his death said, "a police officer said he died of natural causes." Or something to that effect. It wasn't even common knowledge that Ed was divorced. However, the fact that he was in an apartment would give one clue. I found the divorce records and they were filled in 12/73. One thing the obits didn't mention is that Ed was a grandfather at this point. His grandson was just 7 years younger than his youngest child!

caladon
09-06-2013, 06:35 PM
On a lighter note:

Here's an Ed Platt story that was told to me years ago by a co-worker. She and a friend were in a restaurant and during their meal, in walks Ed Platt; whom they immediately recognized. As he was sitting at the bar, they decided to have a little fun and asked the waiter to deliver a note to him. The note said something like - "KAOS is here. Be careful." After he read the note, he got a serious look on his face - looked around the room and then took off his shoe and pretended to talk into it. He then came over to their table and she said he was very nice and and every bit the gentleman.

He apparently also had a good sense of humor.

Stuck In The '70's
09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Very sad to hear about Ed. Depression is an awful disease. :(

edplattfan
09-29-2013, 12:17 PM
@Caladon. Thanks for sharing the story. I heard nothing but kind words about Ed. A man from Texas shared a story with me. In the 50s, after Ed's 1st divorce, he moved there to be with one of his brothers. it was a small town and Ed was the news anchor, tv show host, cooking show host, etc. at the local ABC affiliate. Anyway the man told me his mom had a cooking show and Ed would be there as host and he would also host an afternoon kiddie show that featured westerns. The man told me Ed had him on the show as a boy and because he was such a good co-host Ed gave him a six shooter but the belt was so big it kept falling down. They had to go to the film because Ed couldn't stop laughing on live tv. Another time Ed hosted a kiddie party show live on tv to celebrate a local child's bday. Ed asked the boy(now the man telling me the story) to be on and said "What's your name?" even though he knew it and the boy said "you know very well what my name is!" Ed never had him on the show again. ;)