PDA

View Full Version : Deaths of some people interviewed on UM

crystaldawn
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I thought you guys might find this interesting. Another poster with excellent research skills shared with me some of the people interviewed on UM that they found out have since passed away. Here's the list so far:

Russell Johnson, the elderly man who along with his wife helped out a mysterious stranger and then started receiving checks every Christmas passed away in 2001 in 1982.

Jon Purvis' mom, Emma Jo Bartlett, passed away in August of 2006 at age 89.

Ethel Kidd's son-in-law, Thomas Kidd, interviewed in the segment passed away in 1994 at the age of 51.

Chester Brodbeck, husband of Diane Brodbeck who disappeared with John Yount and was later apprehended, passed away in 1995 at age 54.

Lastly a Judy Gilbert from Ohio passed away in 1995 at age 47. This is the same name as Perman Gilbert's wife but we're unsure if it is her or not.

:rip:

DarkDante
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
How long was Diane Brodbeck incarcerated for helping Yount escape? - Did she get to spend much time with Chester before his passing?

The Yount/Brodbeck escape has always baffled me. I know a lot of us are taken aback that Brodbeck would leave her husband for a felon and are even moreso surprised at how devoted Chester was to his wife following her arrest. The only thing I can say is its very possible that Brodbeck loved both men.

That is the only possibility I can think of. I don't believe that Brodbeck left with Yount due to some type of deficiency in her marriage with Chester but quite possibly because she fell for Yount and wanted to help him get out of prison. I do think however, from the way the articles and the segment portrayed Brodbeck that she would've been more than happy to live the rest of her days with Jon Yount had he not been captured.

I only believe she returned to Chester because of the fact Yount was apprehended. Once again I believe the way thing this has been portrayed the only logical conclusion I can draw is that Brodbeck actually loved BOTH men.

crystaldawn
08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
An old article I found said she was sentenced to at least 2 years in prison so I'm not sure when she was released. I believe the update on the case I have where they were captured was from around '91 so in the time it took for her to be convicted and sentenced its not really certain whether she got to spend time with him before he died. I hope so for his sake. Such a young age to die. :(

Of course I also can't help wondering if after Chester passed away did she take up writing Yount again. :crazy:

Zlatko
08-09-2008, 10:54 PM
The mother of abducted child Nyleen Kay Marshall, Nancy Marshall, was raped and killed in Mexico. The Mexican government labeled her death a suicide. She was looking for property for husband and herself. Honestly, some people just have the worst luck. Depressing...:(

killgas20
08-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Ethel Kidd's son-in-law, Thomas Kidd, interviewed in the segment passed away in 1994 at the age of 51.

I guess this explains why they used his last name in the update segment which aired in 1995, IIRC. I recall UM not showing his last name when the segment first aired.

theero
08-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Betty Cash who was interviewed after seeing a Diamond shaped UFO died exactly 18 years later in 1998, kind of strange she died on the exact date she first saw that UFO

ididn'tdoit
08-10-2008, 04:41 AM
This is a bit blurry but I'm pretty sure the passer-by who found Russell Evans has passed away, I don't know if you can verify that CD?

Pat Doel, Tara Calico's mother, 64, died in 2006 after a series of strokes :(

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2006/jun/08/joline-gutierrez-krueger-patty-doel-waited-for/

kadrmas15
08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Ethel Kidd's husband Gilbert passed away in January of 2006 at age 71. Their son Gilbert Jr passed away in August of 2003 at age 45. Also, elsewhere on this site, Charles Ladner, the father of Norman Ladner passed away in 2003. Lester Garnier's mother passed away in 1996 and his father passed away in 2002. The sheriff in Lisa Marie Kimmell's case committed suicide in 2000. Kurt Sova's dad, Ken passed away in July of 2001 at age 68. Stephen Marfeo killed himself in July of 1999 at age 50.

James T
08-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Stephen 'Yankie Boy' Michalak whose case is on Crystal's latest compilation, passed away in 1999 at the age of 93. He suffered burns from contact with a UFO, doctors were unable to diagnose what caused the strang shaped burns to his stomach.

charmedsignora
08-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I know this has already been posted, but I'll just add it to the growing list.

Maurice Rosenblum, the father of Michael Rosenblum, passed away recently of a heart attack. I think it was back in January.

justins5256
08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeesh...talk about a morbid thread.

I'm pretty sure the guy who sold Jon Burns his ammo and subsequently interviewed on special 2 is dead. I remember reading that awhile back.

crystaldawn
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
This is a bit blurry but I'm pretty sure the passer-by who found Russell Evans has passed away, I don't know if you can verify that CD?

Yes thats correct. I sent her daughter a copy of the segment several months back.

Also Sven Reinhard, Keith Reinhard's son who was interviewed in the segment passed away due to carbon monoxide poisoning in 2001.

Bill Wacker passed away in 1999.

Awsi Dooger
08-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Robert Stack

DJ_Foxx
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I had "googled" Justin Burgwinkle a while back and saw that his mother died. I guess it was an online obituary because it listed that her son Justin ha preceeded her in death so I guess they declared Justin legally dead. So sad...she died without ever knowing what happened to her son :(

Dislimb
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Robert Stack

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/c3922e57/i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

ididn'tdoit
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I know this has been posted before, but it deserves to be mentioned again:

Jeremy Rolfs, the guy who was going to sell a computer to a "Tom Johnson". This "Tom" later killed Jeremy's girlfriend, Heather Uffelman and stole the computer. Anyway, Jeremy was later killed in an automobile accident in South Africa in 1997, he was only 27. :(

http://www.truecrimeweblog.com/search/label/Heather%20Uffelman

Kane
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Ethel Kidd's murderer was identified in 1996, which means that Thomas didn't long enough to see her murder solved. :(

Lastly a Judy Gilbert from Ohio passed away in 1995 at age 47. This is the same name as Perman Gilbert's wife but we're unsure if it is her or not.

Well, Gilbert is a common surname. Therefore, it is indeed uncertain whether this deceased Judy Gilbert was Perman's wife or if the name was just a coincidence.

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, there is another UM interviewee who has passed away. Although I cannot remember the woman's name, she was interviewed on the show during the 1996-97 season. It was a lost loves segment, and the woman in question was looking for blood relatives. This search was an extremely important one because the woman was ill (although I can't recall specifically what the ailment was).

Sadly, when the segment was rerun on Lifetime, it ended with a text saying that she had died in 1998. It was terrible enough that her life ended too soon, but the worst thing about it was that she died without having any resolution to her search. :(

crystaldawn
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
In case it hasn't already been mentioned, there is another UM interviewee who has passed away. Although I cannot remember the woman's name, she was interviewed on the show during the 1996-97 season. It was a lost loves segment, and the woman in question was looking for blood relatives. This search was an extremely important one because the woman was ill (although I can't recall specifically what the ailment was).

Sadly, when the segment was rerun on Lifetime, it ended with a text saying that she had died in 1998. It was terrible enough that her life ended too soon, but the worst thing about it was that she died without having any resolution to her search. :(

Thanks for the update. I had wondered what happened with that case. The woman interviewed was named Diane Hahnlein and she was searching for her long lost sister Marilyn. She wanted to find her to reconnect with her again but was also hoping she would be a match for a much needed bone marrow transplant.

The Barbs
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Mr.Wacker

Necco
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Susan Billig, mother of still missing Amy Billig died in 2005.

Kane
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the update. I had wondered what happened with that case. The woman interviewed was named Diane Hahnlein and she was searching for her long lost sister Marilyn. She wanted to find her to reconnect with her again but was also hoping she would be a match for a much needed bone marrow transplant.

You're welcome. It had actually crossed my mind that it was for a bone marrow transplant, but I had to get additional information before I could say for sure. Thank you for the details.

mphs95
08-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I thought you guys might find this interesting. Another poster with excellent research skills shared with me some of the people interviewed on UM that they found out have since passed away. Here's the list so far:

Russell Johnson, the elderly man who along with his wife helped out a mysterious stranger and then started receiving checks every Christmas passed away in 2001 in 1982.

Jon Purvis' mom, Emma Jo Bartlett, passed away in August of 2006 at age 89.

Chester Brodbeck, husband of Diane Brodbeck who disappeared with John Yount and was later apprehended, passed away in 1995 at age 54.

A morbid curisoity, but does anyone know what these people died of?

crystaldawn
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
A morbid curisoity, but does anyone know what these people died of?

No I don't. I'm guessing the first two were probably of old age. I was curious what Chester Brodbeck died from at a pretty early age.

kadrmas15
08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, a majority of deaths in this country are from heart attacks or cancer so I would guess it was one of those. However it could have been just about anything but at that age, I would guess it was probably a heart attack or cancer. I checked some more, Ed Baker's attorney Ward Busey passed away in 2000 at age 51. Richard Mason, one of the three men murdered by Frank Casteel, Mason's wife Martha Mason passed away in July of 1997 at age 59. Lawrence Lawler, the FBI agent who arrested Kevin Poulsen in Los Angeles passed away in 1997 at age 57.

Kane
08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Here's another UM interviewee who is now deceased: Robert Houghton. He died in 1998, at the age of 84.

As a detective for the Los Angeles Police Department, Robert Houghton was involved in the investigations of Robert Kennedy's assassination and the Manson murders. He was interviewed in the 1990 segment about the assassination of Robert Kennedy, which focused on whether or not Sirhan Sirhan acted alone in the crime.

kadrmas15
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Billy Ray Hargrove's dad, Harvey Hargrove, passed away in December of 2007 at age 72.

Mike Carmichael's uncle, Oscar Carmichael passed away in October of 1998 at the age of 62.

Psychic Dorothy Allison passed away in December of 1999 at the age of 74.

Frank Gavrich who was interviewed in the Liz Carmichael segment as the man who said he would go right back with Liz if the came back and wanted to resume working on the DALE, passed away in July of 1989 at the age of 65.

Robert Youngdahl, the Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, interviewed in the same segment, passed away in August of 2007 at the age of 73.

Ellen Jacobson, who was interviewed in the Dorothy Allison segment because her daughter disappeared in Staten Island, New York in 1976. Mrs. Jacobson passed away in October of 2006 at the age of 66.

Calvin Green, who was the Warden of the prison where John Mooney escaped from in 1980, passed away in January of 1999 at the age of 79.

SitcomsAreTheWay
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I read somewhere that Tammy Leppert's mother passed away some time ago; I can't remember the source of the info though.

mphs95
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Billy Ray Hargrove's dad, Harvey Hargrove, passed away in December of 2007 at age 72.

Mike Carmichael's uncle, Oscar Carmichael passed away in October of 1998 at the age of 62.

Psychic Dorothy Allison passed away in December of 1999 at the age of 74.

Frank Gavrich who was interviewed in the Liz Carmichael segment as the man who said he would go right back with Liz if the came back and wanted to resume working on the DALE, passed away in July of 1989 at the age of 65.

Robert Youngdahl, the Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, interviewed in the same segment, passed away in August of 2007 at the age of 73.

Ellen Jacobson, who was interviewed in the Dorothy Allison segment because her daughter disappeared in Staten Island, New York in 1976. Mrs. Jacobson passed away in October of 2006 at the age of 66.

Calvin Green, who was the Warden of the prison where John Mooney escaped from in 1980, passed away in January of 1999 at the age of 79.

Kadrmas, I don't know how you found some of this out, but thanks for the update.

Beetlejuice69
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Didn't the old man who said "I just want to know I belong to someone" die, too? I can't remember his name, but I know he was featured on a "Lost Loves" segment, and a member on these boards had a picture of him some time ago.

crystaldawn
08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Didn't the old man who said "I just want to know I belong to someone" die, too? I can't remember his name, but I know he was featured on a "Lost Loves" segment, and a member on these boards had a picture of him some time ago.

Yes that was Victor Simon. A very touching lost loves segment.

Drakken
08-15-2008, 06:19 PM
On a website someone commented that Curtis Croft, the 24 year-old snitch, cocaine dealer and boyfriend of Jennifer Pratt, committed suicide some time after the interview he gave to UM.

If you recall, Pratt received a wood plank behind the head on Curtis' motocycle. She received permanent brain damage, but recovered enough to communicate painfully. Police has surmised that he knew who attacked him and Jennifer, and he indeed gave some names. However he then recanted afterwards, saying that he felt pressured by the police into giving information.

CanadianUMFan
08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
On a website someone commented that Curtis Croft, the 24 year-old snitch, cocaine dealer and boyfriend of Jennifer Pratt, committed suicide some time after the interview he gave to UM.

If you recall, Pratt received a wood plank behind the head on Curtis' motocycle. She received permanent brain damage, but recovered enough to communicate painfully. Police has surmised that he knew who attacked him and Jennifer, and he indeed gave some names. However he then recanted afterwards, saying that he felt pressured by the police into giving information.

If that is true, it is too bad that he didn't leave a note providing all of the information that he knew about who committed that horrible assault on Jennifer.

marlins3
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
If that is true, it is too bad that he didn't leave a note providing all of the information that he knew about who committed that horrible assault on Jennifer.

That could shoot down any chance of ever solving this case

CanadianUMFan
08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
That could shoot down any chance of ever solving this case

If they made any note public, right? Is that what you mean?

Drakken
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Or, perhaps, he was "suicided" instead. ;)

marlins3
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
If they made any note public, right? Is that what you mean?

I originally meant that Curtis probably had info concerning the crime and if he did not reveal that info prior to killing himself, that may have destroyed any hopes the police have of solving the case.

On the other hand, police do not always release all information they gather (at the risk of spoiling the investigation). It is possible that Curtis did leave information but the police have not made that public until they the other parties for questioning. That said, if he killed himself shortly after the UM segment first aired, he probably did not leave info because I would think something would have been mentioned in an update,

Allierain
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't see a Curtis Croft listed in the SSDI that matches the individual from this case. Maybe he isn't dead. Was this reported recently?

kadrmas15
08-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, what I was wondering, was, is Curtis Croft even his real name? It sounds like a phony name to me. Certainly Curtis might not have been his real first name. Or it could be that he is still alive.

themaninblack
08-23-2008, 10:32 AM
The mother of abducted child Nyleen Kay Marshall, Nancy Marshall, was raped and killed in Mexico. The Mexican government labeled her death a suicide. She was looking for property for husband and herself. Honestly, some people just have the worst luck. Depressing...:(

WHAT AN F-ED UP WORLD! :mad:

kadrmas15
08-23-2008, 07:19 PM
In the segment of the elderly people in Hot Springs, Arkansas that were ripped off, June Williams passed away in May of 2006 at the age of 79. Her husband David Williams who wasnt interviewed but was photographed passed away in November of 1996 at the age of 72. Jack Brown, the man forced to take a job in the pro shop to pay his bills passed away in November of 2004 at the age of 85.

kadrmas15
05-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Bonita Sigmin, the mother of Charlie Sigmin passed away in January of 1991 at the age of 66.

TracyLynnS
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows why Ethel Kidd and her son-in-law have the same last name. That's a bit unusual

UMfan77
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows why Ethel Kidd and her son-in-law have the same last name. That's a bit unusual

Good catch Tracy LynnS. The only reason I can think of is that maybe UM made the error and that his last name was not Kidd.

kadrmas15
05-22-2009, 12:43 PM
No, it was Kidd. Well, in some areas, some last names are quite plentiful. Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt had the same last name before they were married as Eleanor's maiden name was Roosevelt. I believe her dad was a distance relative of Franklin's dad, like, she was like Franklin's 5th cousin or something, very distance. But I have seen this before, not particularly unusual in my opinion some last names are plentiful.

MissFit29
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM

I thought that story was about a woman named Gail Samuel who was adopted. Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

One of the Vietnam vets who found the nurse who treated him died in 1999. He was the one who lost his leg. I remember the update coming at the end of the story with the update, where they did the freeze frame on his face. It was sad, but at least he had been reunited.

hostedbyrobertstack
05-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Wow, this thread is upsetting. Not sure if I had read this that in depth before, but I had no idea that that many people from the show had passed. It just seems odd because whenever I watch it, I imagine those people looking as they do on the screen, but it was so long ago. It's too bad that many of them passed w/o knowing any true outcome. I truly believe that in the after-life we will receive all the answers that have tormented us, and I am positive this is true of all of them.

Mysteryphile
06-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I am so thankful to everyone that posted the updates...but reading them has gotten me feeling very melancholy. I just started thinking...once the person's people are gone (family, friends etc...) who will be left to look for them? Who will be left to agitate for justice to be given? :(

MegtheEgg86
06-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Beth George, Tommy Burkett's mother, has since passed, hasn't she?

In the course of my (limited and clumsy) research into the Kurt Sova case, I discovered Dorothy Sova's name on an online church bulletin (St. Stanislaus Catholic Church, Cleveland, OH--the parishoners are mainly ethnically Polish, Sova is an Eastern European surname, and Ken and Dorothy are from Slavic Village. Has to be her) on a prayer intention list. I pray she's not in ill health. :(

Hambone2421
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Keith Warren's mother passed away in 2007. On the Keith Warren thread, a relative of the family stated that she passed away in May 2007. Such a sad sad case that was.

Gord McCallister, the wife of Jackie McCallister who was killed at the Blind River rest stop died in 1998 or 1999. I remember searching his name a few years ago after I saw the re-run of this episode and it took me to an obituary of his saying he was preceded in death by his wife Jackie.

Mastermind
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Gord McCallister, the wife of Jackie McCallister who was killed at the Blind River rest stop died in 1998 or 1999. I remember searching his name a few years ago after I saw the re-run of this episode and it took me to an obituary of his saying he was preceded in death by his wife Jackie.

Gord McAllister is as much a victim of that lowlife as his wife was. I'm almost positive his death was exacerbated by the incident. :mad:

MissFit29
01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
The Judge whose housekeeper robbed him died right after they caught that woman.....leading prosecutors to drop the charges. :mad:

UMfan77
01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
The Judge whose housekeeper robbed him died right after they caught that woman.....leading prosecutors to drop the charges. :mad:

That case makes me fume!! That elderly man puts his trust in that horrible woman and she completely rips him off. He's sitting in a empty, filthy house while she's living it up on some tropical beach USING HIS MONEY!

Hambone2421
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Gord McAllister is as much a victim of that lowlife as his wife was. I'm almost positive his death was exacerbated by the incident. :mad:

Agreed. Do you know of any updates on this case? I read on one of these forums that they caught the guy almost 10 years ago, but there was never an update on UM or anything on the internet of a possible suspect that was caught.

dynoguy88
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM

No doubt. That was another thing that made that segment so heartbreaking. While he was being interviewed, Gord McAllister looked like the life had been sucked right out of him. He probably died way too early because of a broken heart. It's painful enough to lose the love of your life. But to see her gunned down in front of your very eyes...there's no recovering from that.

Drakken
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Agreed. Do you know of any updates on this case? I read on one of these forums that they caught the guy almost 10 years ago, but there was never an update on UM or anything on the internet of a possible suspect that was caught.

No update as far as I know.

Although Ronald Glenn West was long suspected (and still is) of being the killer, he was never charged with the two murders.

kadrmas15
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes, the Judge, Leland Geiler (sp?) died in 2000. However there was more to that case than meets the eye. Now granted I am not in any way, shape or form saying that this guy deserved to have his fortune stolen, left living in squalor and all and I remember being appalled when the charges were dropped.

However I was doing some research into the Judge's background and found a reason why the charges were probably dropped. It had nothing to do with him dying. They had other witnesses and in my opinion still had a reasonable probability of getting a conviction on at least some of those charges. No, I guess the Judge had a questionable judicial history. He did not 'retire' from the bench at least not voluntarily. In fact he is one of only a handful of Superior Court judges in California to be impeached in the last 40 years or so.

In fact among the incidents were that on one occasion, the Judge had ordered a prosecutor and a public defender to appear in his chambers. Well, when they went in, the prosecutor reported the judge came out from behind a door holding a battery powered dildo and proceeded to ram it into the rear end of the public defender. Another well known incident was when the judge came up from behind a Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner in a hallway, grabbed his testicles from behind and squeezed them so hard it damaged the man's testicles and required surgery. Geiler was basically well known for being not only inappropriate physically but with various comments and was well known for being extremely biased in favor of the state so much so even the state was uncomfortable with him and his conduct.

Geiler was impeached from the bench in 1973, like I said, he is one of only 3 or 4 Los Angeles County Superior Court Judges in the last 40 years to be impeached. These judicial commissions and their investigations are normally a farce and give a lot of wrist slaps if they give any punishment at all. Basically you have to be pretty bad for them to not only reprimand you but impeach you. Geiler was impeached and I believe he was also disbarred by the State of California. Here is the formal report of the investigation into Judge Geiler. You can see another side of the good judge and read about all his exploits and colorful comments here. http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:C73zRijSy8IJ:cjp.ca.gov/userfiles/file/Notice_FP/Geiler_1-21-72.pdf+leland+geiler&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

mah79
01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
WHOA!!!:eek:
Thanks for the information, Kadrmas. I can't wait to look at those links. I am in disbelief that Judge Geiler could be that vicious, or that nasty. I have seen his case many times (his story is always featured on the Anastasia episode, which is one of my all time favorites). And I always felt so sorry for a person who I thought was a very "nice" great grandfatherly old man. So much more beneath the surface.

Allierain
01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
WHOA!!!:eek:
Thanks for the information, Kadrmas. I can't wait to look at those links. I am in disbelief that Judge Geiler could be that vicious, or that nasty. I have seen his case many times (his story is always featured on the Anastasia episode, which is one of my all time favorites). And I always felt so sorry for a person who I thought was a very "nice" great grandfatherly old man. So much more beneath the surface.

Do a general internet search under his name and lots of nasty stuff will come up.

kadrmas15
01-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Well I mean the report was very devastating. That said, I do NOT think it was acceptable for people to steal his money and I still feel bad for him for that, regardless if how he acted in the past, no one deserves that and it sounds like he was more humbled as his health failed. I mean his one maid worked for him for five years and adored the man but clearly Geiler had issues. However the woman that stole the money was a career con artist so I doubt the judge's past conduct had anything to do with why she stole the money, she had planned to do it all along.

However I do think the judge's conduct had something to do with the charges being dropped in 2000. Basically Geiler was a disgrace to the bench in the Los Angeles Superior Court. Hell, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office, were the ones that pushed for Geiler to be impeached due to his conduct and they were the same people prosecuting the case all the years later. Truth be told, I do not think they were very anxious to help him out considering what he had done in the past and certainly did not feel sorry for him in any way.

However yes, that report and various other info out there is certainly an interesting albeit disturbing read and gives you a very different view of this guy. I agree when I first saw him and first saw the segment, I thought the same thing, that he was grandfatherly, just a sweet old man in frail health and maybe in his later years due to his health problems and other issues it probably tamed him a bit. However as I said, clearly when he was on the bench, he had some real issues and I do not know if he had always been that way or the power of being a judge just went to his head or what?

kadrmas15
01-07-2010, 12:37 AM
This is the full report from the California Supreme Court when they upheld the judicial commissions impeachment recommendation. Geiler was officially removed from the bench in late 1973. However I was mistaken on one point, he was not disbarred by the State of California from practicing law although it appears the impeachment basically put the kibosh on his legal career. http://cjp.ca.gov/userfiles/file/S_C_Cases/Geiler_1973.pdf

kadrmas15
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Also, Geiler is one of about 25 judges to be impeached total in the State of California since 1973. He was one of about 16 or 17 to be impeached by the California Supreme Court while 9 others were impeached outright by the judicial commission and the Supreme Court refused to review the order. http://cjp.ca.gov/index.php?id=23

wiseguy182
01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
wasn't sure if this one was mentioned or not but Bob Keane from the Bobby Fuller segment died a few weeks ago.

Speaking about that segment, it was nice to see Casey Kasem on there. I never get tired of listening to those top 40 bloopers. As serious as it was, Casey made me chuckle a bit when he said "When I found out that Bobby was dead....or had died." What's the difference?, LOL

UMfan77
01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
wasn't sure if this one was mentioned or not but Bob Keane from the Bobby Fuller segment died a few weeks ago.

No one has mentioned that, how sad!

Hambone2421
01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
No update as far as I know.

Although Ronald Glenn West was long suspected (and still is) of being the killer, he was never charged with the two murders.

Does anyone have a link to a picture of Ronald Glenn West? I have searched for him but cannot find anything. I'd like to see what he looked like in comparison to the composite sketch on UM.

crystaldawn
01-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have a link to a picture of Ronald Glenn West? I have searched for him but cannot find anything. I'd like to see what he looked like in comparison to the composite sketch on UM.

After much searching I found the thread where I posted a pic of him that was on a true crime show.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=218707&highlight=Ronald+Glenn+West

mah79
01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Everyone,
I was browsing the Charley Project today, and I saw where Francis Walsh passed away in 1998. He was the father of Theresa Walsh, who was kidnapped by her mother Merle in Hawaii in 1990. According to Theresa's page, her father founded a missing children's agency to honor his daughter. Theresa is listed on the Charley Project as the missing person of the week.

mphs95
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Good catch Tracy LynnS. The only reason I can think of is that maybe UM made the error and that his last name was not Kidd.

That's what I was thinking or a kwindikink that they had the same name.

McBevis
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Alice Breitler, the foster mother in the Martha and Bobby Brown story, died in 1994 at the age of 89.

Robert Dirscherl's wife Jinny died in 2000 at the age of 73.

Herbert Kipf, one of the people from the 1950 Beatrice, Nebraska church explosion, died in 1997 at the age of 76.

Patricia Sawyer (victim of Judge John Fairbanks) died in 1999 at the age of 86.

Evelyn Hanson (Dale Kerstetter's mother) died in 1997 at the age of 93.

Elmer Sr. and Cathern Locker, parents of now-captured drug suspect Elmer Locker Jr. died in 1995 and 1997, respectively, both aged 89.

Quentin Bruguier (Ruby Bruguier's father) died in 2001 at the age of 62.

Joe Schambier (the guy who was a radio Santa Claus and who who discovered that his daughter was deceased following a 45 year search) died in 1997 at the age of 80.

Leo Leeburn, the Boise, Idaho man interviewed in the segment about the blonde-haired man who committed suicide inside the Sacred Heart Church of Boise died in 2002 at the age of 81.

Coral Polge, the "psychic artist" who was able to draw accurate portraits of long-deceased people that she had never seen died in 2001 at the age of 76.

Leonard S. Shoen, the U-Haul founder who appeared briefly in the segment about his son's wife's murder, died in 1999 at the age of 83.

Newel Sessions, who made the grim discovery of a human skeleton inside an old footlocker given to him by a mysterious man known only as "Gabby," died in 2003 at the age of 79.

Audrey Santo, the little girl in a permanent vegetative state who was said to have brought miracles upon many people who visited her, died in 2007 at the age of 13.

Gwen Krewson (mother of missing person and, unfortunately, murder victim Holly Krewson) died in 2003 at the age of 61.

bawitter
05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
It looks like that sadley Frances Sherwood the mother of Clifford Sherwood has also passed. It's so sas that she passed with out knowing what happened to her son. :(

http://www.westislandchronicle.com/Opinion/2009-01-22/article-633663/Remembering-Frances-Sherwood/1

mah79
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I also found a Social SEcurity Death index record for Shirley Branion, Dr. John Branion's wife. She died in 2001 at the age of 60 or 61 (www.familysearch.org)

McBevis
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, I went on another curiosity trip and dug up some more UM passings if anyone's interested.

Philip Bergen, the Alcatraz Captain Of The Guards who appeared in-depth on the Alcatraz special, died in 2002 at the age of 97.

Charles Southern Sr. (father of Charles Southern Jr.) died in 1998 at the age of 78.

Hallie Stillwell, who witnessed the "Ghost Lights" of Marfa, Texas in 1916 and was interviewed about it on the show in 1989, died in 1997 at the age of 99.

Selim Babac, the AIDS patient who went to Dr. Hong Lu to learn about the alternative healing practice of Qi Gong, died in 2000 at the age of 37.

Monica Libao's sleazy adoptive parents are both deceased. Her father died in 1983 at the age of 77, and the much younger mother died in 1998 at the age of 75.

Myrtle Hieronimus, the long-lost aunt that Jim Boumgarden inadvertantly discovered while trying to find his twin brother, died in 1999 at the age of 89.

Clyde Ralstin, the Spokane, Washington police officer who had long been the prime suspect in the murder of fellow officer George Conniff but was oddly never charged in any way, died in 1990 at the age of 90.

Michelle Whitt, the young, wheelchair-bound woman victimized by con artist Steven Cox, died in 2000 at the age of 42.

In response to another poster's question, Rufus Gookin (Lynn Heinz's father) died in 2000 at the age of 96.

Platt Monfort (Gail Delano's father) died in 2005 at the age of 84.

Betty and Dallas McClenahen (Marilynn DePue's parents) died in 1994 and 2004 (respectively), at the ages of 75 and 86 (respectively).

Finally, there was one thing that I wanted to mention to people who are strong followers of the Clifford Sherwood case. His father did not die in 1976, as some posters (as well as the Doe Network) indicate. He disappeared in 1962 and was tracked down by one of his daughters in 1976. He actually died in 1987, and this is noted in the segment.

xxxxmattxxxx69
05-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Jim Bohmgarden(sp?) since passed away after they interviewed him when he was trying to find his twin brother.

I believe Russell Evans dad John died a short time after but am not too sure and that his mom Sue was in declining health and may be dead now

RobinW
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Just found that Tom Sawyer, the man who had the near-death experience after being crushed under a truck, died of pulminory fibrosis in April of 2007. Here's a tribute that was posted for him:
http://atwaterndenews.blogspot.com/2007/04/tom-sawyer-has-died.html

jimbou81
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Myrtle Hieronimus, the long-lost aunt that Jim Boumgarden inadvertantly discovered while trying to find his twin brother, died in 1999 at the age of 89.

How do you guys find this stuff out? I was wanting to know if is anyone has this episode taped, I lost my copy when I moved and was hoping to find it online some where but haven't had any luck. If some one could send me a copy my way that would be great, thanks. I'm looking for the episode that aired on September 02, 1992, mainly the story of my father Jim Boumgarden.

McBevis
08-18-2010, 04:42 AM
How do you guys find this stuff out? I was wanting to know if is anyone has this episode taped, I lost my copy when I moved and was hoping to find it online some where but haven't had any luck. If some one could send me a copy my way that would be great, thanks. I'm looking for the episode that aired on September 02, 1992, mainly the story of my father Jim Boumgarden.

How do we find this stuff out? It's really not difficult at all. You'd be surprised at what you can find out just from typing a name into a search engine. Of course, the possibility always exists that some of the information that I or other people who try to find these things out gather may not always be correct, but the more circumstantial facts that you can gather about people on UM (or just in general), the better the chance of being able to pinpoint things like passings and other like information. Of course it also helps if you don't have a particularly common name. Now, if your dad's aunt was named something like "Joan Johnson," it might be harder to look up that type of information because there are tons of Joan Johnsons, but when you think about it, how many Myrtle Hieronimi could there possibly be (or ever have been)?

jimbou81
08-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Thank you for continually looking for information on this case, maybe one day something will pop up that helps me find my lost relatives.

I was reading some of other threads about this case, many of them are several years old, here is some info that some don't know.

- My father, James E. Boumgarden, celebrated his birthday on March 29, 1947 however some documents found showed March 26, 1947. He was born in Cook County Illinois (Chicago) he was raised up in Rochelle and Paynes Point Illinois and went to Stillman Valley High school.

- As kids they may have been living near each other, but the twin may have been adopted by another family away from the area, or his current family had moved him away from the area, or he may have never been adopted at all and just moved from home to home. As an adult he may just come visit the area to visit an old friend or adopted family member or what ever the case may be.

- At the baseball game my uncle Rick didn't know about the twin at that time as it was years before my father started looking. He couldn't recall the team or date that he played against.

- My father didn't want to start looking until after his adopted father passed away because he was afraid it would have upset him if he was looking for his "real" family. This maybe the case with the twin also. Remember my fathers adopted grandmother knew about the twin. When she told my mother about the twin, that is when some of the pieces started to come together.

- UM contacted me back in 2007 before they started airing on Spike. I did have an update for them, they didn't pursue the update.

- My parents did go to all the libraries and high schools in the area searching yearbooks for a kid his age, but as I stated above the twin likely moved away from the area before high school.

- My father had a doctor confirm that he had an Identical twin before he knew that he had a twin because the doctor told him that he was missing an organ (sorry I don't remember which one, I can update this part later when i find out) and his twin had the other. Common in the type of twin he was, they were basically one step away from being siamese twins.

- His half sister, Judy S., was given up for adoption because she had a tumor at birth, her unmarried (very important for that time period) mother was unable to pay for the surgery so the first couple that paid for the surgery got to adopt her. Their mother was given no choice or no rights.

- My father and twin were considered "unadoptable" because of a possible heart defect and possible mixed race. She was forced into giving these kids up because she was unmarried. Because of this they were placed on the "blackmarket", documents were sealed (maybe even changed too). I guess this was as a punishment to his mother so she could never find them.

- The update Spike didn't air: A good friend of my fathers, who runs a store in the area, said that he thought he saw a ghost when a man walked into the store. When he confronted him about the case he said he didn't want to have anything to do with the family then walked out of the store and got in his truck and left. My fathers friend tried to stop him but the "twin" wasn't willing to talk.
This also confirms some the other reports my family received saying the same thing, that he didn't even know about.

If the twin doesn't want to be contacted, then their isn't much we can do, hopefully he will change his mind someday and contact me (it isn't hard to find me online) If he has any kids, they would be my cousins and about as close as you can get to being half brother and/or sister.

I would like to thank every one who has done some research online for this case. Because of the adoption, sites like ancestry or even facebook probably wouldn't get you very far unless we knew "Bill's" adopted last name.

kadrmas15
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Bob Pickens, the businessman ripped up by Garlon Houston Russell, the guy who molested the kid in the nudist camp segment, Pickens died on January 13th, 1994, at the age of 62, 3 days short of his 63rd birthday.

DazzlerSparkler
09-05-2010, 04:41 PM
What about the lady and her foster parents? I can't remember her name, but her father abused her, with a belt so she went to foster parents and they made her feel right at home. She had a happy birthday and did everything with her parents. Then she had to go back to her dad but one night she ran away...eventually her father was taken away from her. Eventually she found her adoptive parents. I don't remember the lady's name, but I think she had curly wavy brown hair. And I noticed something strange with her front teeth. Anybody remember who this woman is, and if her foster parents are still around?

Gelatinous Goo
09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
What about the lady and her foster parents? I can't remember her name, but her father abused her, with a belt so she went to foster parents and they made her feel right at home. She had a happy birthday and did everything with her parents. Then she had to go back to her dad but one night she ran away...eventually her father was taken away from her. Eventually she found her adoptive parents. I don't remember the lady's name, but I think she had curly wavy brown hair. And I noticed something strange with her front teeth. Anybody remember who this woman is, and if her foster parents are still around?

One of the best and saddest Lost Loves segments of all time. It shows how inspiring a little love and care can be when you're seemingly without hope. I too forget their names. If somebody wants to chime in with that info, I'll be glad to do a little digging around.:)

MissFit29
09-05-2010, 05:21 PM
One of the best and saddest Lost Loves segments of all time. It shows how inspiring a little love and care can be when you're seemingly without hope. I too forget their names. If somebody wants to chime in with that info, I'll be glad to do a little digging around.:)

That was Sharon Stevens. Her foster parents were the Zelinsky's (check the spelling - not sure if that is corrent). Bill and Cynthia, I think.

McBevis
09-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Not sure what ever became of Sharon Stevens, but as far as I can ascertain, Bill and Cynthia Zelinski are both still alive and actually not even as old as you might think (78 and 77, respectively), considering that this case took place more than 50 years ago.

McBevis
09-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Something else I also discovered. I know he's not an interviewee but rather the subject of a segment, but I did find out that Gene Flannes (the Hot Springs con artist) died on 5/29/09 at the age of 86.

Gelatinous Goo
09-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Not sure what ever became of Sharon Stevens, but as far as I can ascertain, Bill and Cynthia Zelinski are both still alive and actually not even as old as you might think (78 and 77, respectively), considering that this case took place more than 50 years ago.

That's rather odd to me. You'd think they would be in their 90's at this point. Bill has been wheelchair-bound for nearly 20 years. Wasn't he on oxygen in the update? Either way, I'm glad to hear that they're still with us. Thanks for doing my legwork for me!:wave:

McBevis
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I did some more digging and discovered the following:

Catheryn Saalfeld (Walter "Curly" Green segment). Younger sister Curly's girlfriend. Died in 1990 at the age of 87.

Fred Cappelli (Michael Rosenblum segment). Reluctant participant in police cover-up conspiracy. Died in 1990 at the age of 67.

Sheldon Weinberg (Mastermind of Manhattan Medicare fraud scheme). Died in 2007 at the age of 83.

Dr. Richard Boggs (Mastermind of Glendale, CA murder/insurance fraud scheme). Died in 2003 at the age of 69.

Vickie Landrum (Betty Cash UFO segment). Died in 2007 at the age of 83.

Iva Platt (Eleanor Platt & John Elias segment). Mother of Eleanor. Died in 2010 at the age of 97.

Joan Resch (Tina Resch segment). Foster mother of Tina. Died in 2000 at the age of 72.

Dr. David Cawood (Tennessee home invasion segment). Died in 2006 at the age of 69.

xxxxmattxxxx69
09-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Dennis Cole The father of murder victim Joe Cole died in 2009 at the age of 69

Reggie White died in 2004 at age 43 after being interviewed for a church burning segment down south

dynoguy88
09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Looks like the father of Cindy James, Otto Hack, passed away on June 25, 2010 at the age of 90.

Cindy's sister Melanie wrote on her blog that her parents were married for 68 years when he died. During the final months of Otto's life, he told his children that he could feel Cindy's presence and that it was getting stronger and stronger. There was a sense of peace as his life came to an end because he knew in his heart we soon be reunited with Cindy.

Cindy's mother Tillie is still alive and she's 88 years old. She has alzheimer's and is no longer able to take care of herself. She lives in home for elderly alzheimer's patients.

crystaldawn
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Impressive research guys on finding these....

Very sad about Otto Hack. It seems like Melanie Hack was a bit hesitant to publish the book about Cindy because of how her father might react. I wonder if now that he's passed away it will get published.

dynoguy88
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Impressive research guys on finding these....

Very sad about Otto Hack. It seems like Melanie Hack was a bit hesitant to publish the book about Cindy because of how her father might react. I wonder if now that he's passed away it will get published.

It's been about 2 years since I last exchanged emails with Melanie. But in her last email, she told me that her dad had hopes that the book would be published before he died. He just didn't want to deal with any publicity it would generate.

Last I heard, the book at 500 pages was being split into two books because there's so much info to include.

I'd like to drop Melanie an email asking about the latest developments of the book but it's been only 3 months since her dad died and I don't want to bug her at an emotional time.

xxxxmattxxxx69
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Oh I forgot about Roger Roxas from the Ferdinand Marcos buddha segment. He suffered a fatal heart attack before he was set to take a stand in court in 1991 at 58

McBevis
09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh I forgot about Roger Roxas from the Ferdinand Marcos buddha segment. He suffered a fatal heart attack before he was set to take a stand in court in 1991 at 58

I think that this segment was from 1993, and I remember Robert Stack saying that Roxas was 49 at the time of the interview.

MegtheEgg86
09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Reggie White, professional football player and the associate minister of the Knoxville, TN, Inner-City Church, died in 2004 of cardiac arrhythmia.

I'd only seen the "Church Arson" segment a few times, but today I noticed the auditorium that had to be used for services after the fire belongs to Austin-East High School. We used to play them in football a lot.

justins5256
09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know what became of Anna Burns - Jon Burns' wife from special two?

She was in poor health in 1987, so I can't imagine that she would still be alive.

xxxxmattxxxx69
09-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Reggie White, professional football player and the associate minister of the Knoxville, TN, Inner-City Church, died in 2004 of cardiac arrhythmia.

I'd only seen the "Church Arson" segment a few times, but today I noticed the auditorium that had to be used for services after the fire belongs to Austin-East High School. We used to play them in football a lot.

I already posted that. Well him as a dead interviewee not the details

Drakken
10-19-2010, 04:21 PM
John Homan, Audrey Marie Hilley's second husband when she was pretending she was twins (Robbi and Teri), was murdered in 1989, stabbed to death during an altercation in the motel he was working in as a caretaker.

John Homan, her husband, was murdered in 1989. While working as a caretaker at a motel in Anniston, an altercation occurred. When John stepped in to help, he was stabbed to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Marie_Hilley

TracyLynnS
10-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Dorothy Wacker passed away July 22, 2010. I posted her obit in the Wacker thread.

dks64
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. I had to google almost every name, but the cases came back to me :) I look forward to more updates.

xxxxmattxxxx69
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I was wondering if Dave Davis was still alive even though he's not that old but he's def put on weight during his time in jail but Shannon Mohr's mother Lucielle(sp?) died in 2008 at the age of 80.

Felt I had to update this post

McBevis
07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's more that I found:

Fred Siegle, the Bad Route Rest Area custodian, died in 1997 at the age of 81.

Ellen Betts, who appeared briefly in the segment about the lost crew members of the Muskogee, the ship piloted by her husband Captain William Betts, died in 1997 at the age of 95.

Harold Vining, the Maine blueberry farmer who was interviewed in the segment about the French pilots who attempted to fly across the Atlantic a couple of weeks before Charles Lindbergh did, but were believed to have crashed somewhere in Maine, died in 1990 at the age of 81.

Juanita Erwin, who was interviewed in the Doc Noss buried treasure segment to discuss her brother Orby Swanner's involvement in the military take-over of Victorio Peak, died in 2007 at the age of 77.

Lloyd Riemer, Michael Riemer's father, died in 1993 at the age of 85.

Lavelda Richmond, the identical twin who was in a car crash that her sister witnessed through ESP, died in 2009 at the age of 75.

Fern Hamill, the Skeleton Canyon treasure hunter, died in 2011 at the age of 94. Whether or not he ever uncovered the treasure or any more artifacts related to it is unknown.

xxxxmattxxxx69
07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
"Shirley" from the Dana Satterfield murder has since died. I'm not gonna post her real name on here because I am trying to figure out which one she is on the SSDI. If you want her real name you can message me for it. I think it was in 2004? I'll just let you know she has a very common name

Apostapler
07-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Lloyd Riemer, Michael Riemer's father, died in 1993 at the age of 85.

It's a shame he died without knowing for sure whether his son was a murderer or not.

1990 UM fan
07-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, a good portion of these people died young. I wonder why? It's sad how the people on here who are related to the missing people on Unsolved Mysteries died without knowing what happened to their loved one(s).

RobinW
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, a good portion of these people died young. I wonder why? It's sad how the people on here who are related to the missing people on Unsolved Mysteries died without knowing what happened to their loved one(s).

Sadly, it seems to be a VERY common occurrence for relatives of missing people to die at an early age and I'm sure the massive stress of the situation has a lot to do with it. A lot of missing people from Charley Project who weren't even featured on UM have had family members die real young.

crystaldawn
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Jeffrey Smith, Judy Smith's husband interviewed in the UM segment, has passed away according to what I read on another board.

amandab1234
07-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Reggie White was one of my favorite football players. I havent seen this segment. Is it known as "Church Arson"? I would like to watch this on youtube!

Hambone2421
07-19-2011, 02:40 PM
youtube!

How dare you mention this here!!! LOL

amandab1234
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
How dare you mention this here!!! LOL

Lol Im sorrrrryyyy!!!! :eek:

McBevis
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
At this point, I'm starting to wonder if there should be a sister thread entitled "People interviewed on UM that are still alive" because it seems like a huge percentage of people on this show are no longer with us. I've become pretty prolific at researching this type of thing, and here are several more UM passings that I've uncovered.

Roger Anyon, one of the people who witnessed Elizabeth Campbell being dragged around by her abductor, died in 2009 at the age of 86.

The Reverend Albert "Kim" Dreisbach, from the Shroud Of Turin Segment, died in 2006 at the age of 72.

Henry Drieth, Leroy Dreith's father, died in 2003 at the age of 77.

Duncan Gilmore, the long-lost father from the Jeannie Wagner/Patsy Summers lost loves segment, died in 1998 at the age of 62.

Delbert Heck Jr., from the Heck family lost loves segment, died in 2003 at the age of 69.

Lorene Roberts Houtkin died in 1997 at the age of 64.

David Kempton, who spent years trying to find his daughter after his wife took her and ran off with another man, died in 2005 at the age of 83.

Grace Leeburn, the elderly Boise, Idaho woman who almost fainted at the sight of finding the guy supposedly named "William Toomey" dead inside the Sacred Heart Church of Boise, died in 1996 at the age of 105.

Walter Luttmer, the uncle that Meredith Atkinson reunited with along her mother Rose Marie, died in 1998 at the age of 74. I'm actually not sure what the story is with Rose Marie, but since she was 78 and in poor health in 1994 (when the reunion took place), it's pretty unlikely that she would still be around nowadays.

Ione Manning, the lady who appeared in the Butch Cassidy segment claiming that her grandmother had been friends with Cassidy during a time that Cassidy was considered by many to be long since dead, died in 2008 at the age of 89.

Joan Petrasek, Joe & Gladys Owens' curious neighbor, died in 1999 at the age of 72.

Allen Roberts, husband of abducted and tortured Martha Doe Roberts, died in 2005 at the age of 78.

Ames Robey, Albert DeSalvo's psychiatrist, died in 2004 at the age of 75.

David "Creed" Rogers, the cop whose partner O'Neal Moore was gunned down in a racially motivated shooting, died in 2007 at the age of 84.

Franklin and Sylvia Selvey, Debbie Race's parents, both died in 2010. Mr. Selvey was 95 and Mrs. Selvey was 97.

Stephanie Senac, the manager of the Las Cruces, New Mexico bowling alley, died in 1999 at the age of 43.

Ilse Sigler, the wife of Ralph Sigler (the guy thought by some to be a US government double agent, and by others to be a traitor sharing sensitive goverment information with foreign parties), died in 2009 at the age of 81.

Wally Spencer, the scientist who claimed to discover a river flowing through the Nevada underground, died in 2003 at an age somewhere between 65 and 75 (I couldn't get it exactly).

Stephen Tercsak, the private investigator for the Michael Rosenblum case, died in 1993 at the age of 60.

Fritz Vincken died in 2001 at the age of 69.

Theodore Zink, the Folsom Prison warden in the Steve Wilson segment, died in 2002 at the age of 62.

Dylene Zolikoff, the first mother (or one of the first) to have her baby sold by the infamous Ethel Nation, died in 2009 at the age of 68.

sffan
07-27-2011, 12:24 AM
At this point, I'm starting to wonder if there should be a sister thread entitled "People interviewed on UM that are still alive" because it seems like a huge percentage of people on this show are no longer with us. I've become pretty prolific at researching this type of thing, and here are several more UM passings that I've uncovered.

I think starting that thread would be a great idea!

RobinW
07-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Duncan Gilmore, the long-lost father from the Jeannie Wagner/Patsy Summers lost loves segment, died in 1998 at the age of 62.

Some terrific research here! However, this particular piece of news saddens me since Duncan and his wife were amongst the nicest, most likable people to ever appear on the show :( .

McBevis
07-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Some terrific research here! However, this particular piece of news saddens me since Duncan and his wife were amongst the nicest, most likable people to ever appear on the show :( .

I know. They were a nice couple. I especially liked that his wife was not at all jealous of his previous relationship and seemed ready to help right away.

Of course I'm no psychic, and I suppose it's not a written guarantee that I'm definitely always right and hopefully this is an instance where I'm not, but after finding a death record for a Duncan Gilmore from South Carolina, I plugged the name and DOB into a general people search, and it brought up only one match, and since the guy was not only listed as being from SC but also having a Suzanne Gilmore at the top of the list of possible relatives, I would strongly assume that it's him.

Zlatko
09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Cindy Anderson's father passed away in 2008. It's also been said that one of Cindy's siblings passed away as well. It possibly could be her sister in the segment. She wasn't interviewed but Cindy's mother died of cancer in 1983. Talk about non-stop tragedy. :(

dks64
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I know. They were a nice couple. I especially liked that his wife was not at all jealous of his previous relationship and seemed ready to help right away.

Of course I'm no psychic, and I suppose it's not a written guarantee that I'm definitely always right and hopefully this is an instance where I'm not, but after finding a death record for a Duncan Gilmore from South Carolina, I plugged the name and DOB into a general people search, and it brought up only one match, and since the guy was not only listed as being from SC but also having a Suzanne Gilmore at the top of the list of possible relatives, I would strongly assume that it's him.

Very sad, I loved that segment :( Awesome couple.

crystaldawn
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
other than one episode which was hosted by Raymond Burr, who passed away in 1993.

Speaking of Raymond Burr, I was watching tv a few days ago and was surprised to see a Perry Mason movie with Robert Stack! I was surprised to see that Burr and Stack were even sitting at the Prosecution table together. The movie actually aired in 1987, the year UM started.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093725/

RobinW
01-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but just to make this thread more complete, I'll add that Ida Prewitt passed away in Sept. 2011 at the age of 82.

peachysquirt21
01-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Cindy Anderson's father passed away in 2008. It's also been said that one of Cindy's siblings passed away as well. It possibly could be her sister in the segment. She wasn't interviewed but Cindy's mother died of cancer in 1983. Talk about non-stop tragedy. :(

I found his obit. I had no idea he had married again.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=michael-anderson&pid=100626260&fhid=3411

crystaldawn
01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
I found his obit. I had no idea he had married again.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledoblade/obituary.aspx?n=michael-anderson&pid=100626260&fhid=3411

Someone may have already posted this but I found this article:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/08/04/Woman-s-disappearance-a-mystery-after-30-years.html

McBevis
04-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Here's a few more that I dug up:

Gerry Timpane, the mother from the Timpane/Terry Lynn Smith lost loves segment, died in 1999 at the age of 72.

Dr. Samuel Cohen, the inventor of the neutron bomb who appeared in the "Red Mercury" segment, died in 2010 at the age of 89.

Merryll Rapley, one of the widows interviewed in the "Missing WW2 V-Mail Letters" segment from the late 80s, died not long after in 1990 at the age of 73.

Lester Adelson, the coroner from the Kurt Sova case, died in 2006 at the age of 92.

Brigitta Dentai-Laramie, the daughter from the lost loves segment about the Hungarian box car family that was befriended by American soldier Philippe Pelletier, died in 2004 at the age of 65.

The above-mentioned Pelletier died in 2001 at about the age of 75 (may have been 74 or 76).

baloony
04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but just to make this thread more complete, I'll add that Ida Prewitt passed away in Sept. 2011 at the age of 82.

Not sorry to see her go. The only problem is, that just leaves Beverly and Chad Noe as the last two people who know what happened that day. Chad may be dead, and Beverly probably won't be around much longer. But, if no closure is brought to the case before they all pass on, at least they will have to deal with it in the next life. I know Ida Jane sure is as we speak.

baloony
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Ed Heitkamp, the truck driver interviewed in the Dewayne McCorkendale case has since passed away.

RobinW
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Wow, it looks like Christina O'Donnell, mother of the missing Lauren Jackson, passed away in March of last year!
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/philly/obituary.aspx?n=christina-odonnell-severns&pid=149600415

I was a little skeptical at first that this was the same Christina O'Donnell since her obituary didn't make any mention of her being Lauren's mother. However, it does mention her daughter, Diana, and I was able to confirm through checking a few articles about Lauren's disappearance that Christina did indeed have another daughter named Diana.

I've never really felt that Christina was involved in Lauren's disappearance, but I hope she didn't take any secrets to her grave with her.

baloony
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Gabriel Carrille, aka Gabriel Charottic the creepy guy interviewed in the Kurt McFall segment passed away in 2007.

McBevis
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
William Bruce Umpleby, the Ohio sheriff in the Wackers segment, died in 1999 at the age of 63.

chacha6581
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
This thread Is so depressing and made me feel old! I think partly because I have invested so much time into UM that sometimes I feel like I know these people.

McBevis
04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
This thread Is so depressing and made me feel old! I think partly because I have invested so much time into UM that sometimes I feel like I know these people.

I know what you mean. I've amassed a huge collection of UM, and I've watched it so much over the years that just seeing these people over and over again and really getting absorbed into what they're saying makes you feel a sort of connection beyond the UM segments, and it's really hard not to wonder where they are after so much time, and to that end, this type of research has become an intriguing (if somewhat depressing) pastime for me, and I've actually become pretty good at it. Anyway, here's a few more that I uncovered recently:

Dr. William Maples, the famed forensic anthropologist who appeared in numerous UM segments, including The Story Of Anastasia, died in 1997 at the age of 59.

Aldo Gaburri, the Baldwin Boro, Pennsylvania police chief suspected of covering up the disappearance of Michael Rosenblum, died in 1997 at the age of 76.

Mary Urick, the sister of Patricia Teer Carlton who was interviewed in the segment, died in 2005 at the age of 62, barely a year after she was finally reunited with her long-missing sister.

Dorcas Woodson, the grandmother of Roxanne Woodson, died in 2011 at the age of 92.

Linda Leab, the lady with the heavy southern drawl ("somethin' felled outta dat plane") who appeared in the Brian Duecker segment died in 1999 at the age of 51.

Leon "Whitey" Thompson, the ex-inmate of Alcatraz who appeared in the UM special about Alcatraz, died in 2005 at the age of 82.

Dorothy Macri, the mother of Phillip Macri, died in 2009 at the age of 73.

McBevis
04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
John Elias died in 2011 at the age of 87.

zachhh
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Ed Heitkamp, the truck driver interviewed in the Dewayne McCorkendale case has since passed away.

He seemed like a cool guy. I love when he described the female suspect as "looking kinda trashy." :lol:

McBevis
05-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Roni Price Quercio, the mother in the Eugene Price lost loves segment (she was really tan and had a heavy east coast accent), died in 2003, just 1 day after her 67th birthday.

xxxxmattxxxx69
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Not an interviewee but rather the focus of a segment Kay Beeman died in January 2002 at the age of 57 shortly after being released from prison.

And Teresa Wilson who was said to have received a Happy Birthday wish from her dead husband from beyond the grave died in 2000 at the age of 98

WishfulDreamer
05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Brigitta Dentai-Laramie, the daughter from the lost loves segment about the Hungarian box car family that was befriended by American soldier Philippe Pelletier, died in 2004 at the age of 65.

The above-mentioned Pelletier died in 2001 at about the age of 75 (may have been 74 or 76).

I'm sorry to hear that. Not very old, particularly the daughter. Is the father still alive?

Also, I think it's safe to say all those who saw the "Ghost Lights" in 1916 have probably passed away.

McBevis
05-06-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Not very old, particularly the daughter. Is the father still alive?

Also, I think it's safe to say all those who saw the "Ghost Lights" in 1916 have probably passed away.

Carl Dentai (Brigitta's father) died in 2000 at the age of 81.

Also, Ruby Bradford McDaniel (searching for lost sister "Verneicy" for those who may not remember) died in 2006 at the age of 99.

Dr. Berthold Schwarz, known among other things for his work with Katie the Gold Foil Woman, died in 2010 at the age of 85.

Donna Chotvacs (from the Wade Mitchell Parker fraud segment) died in 2011 at the age of 58.

As far as the ghost lights go, I do know that Hallie Stillwell died in 1997 at the age of 99, and Julia Ellison Plumbley died in 2000, a day after turning 95.

amandab1234
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Mary Ann Perezs daughter who was interviewed in the segment died in 2009.. Shannon Perez Miller I think is her name..if u Google it her obit pops up.

sprinkles
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't know her, but I'm facebook friends with Lisa Wyrick. Her daughter, Heidi, was the focus of a UM segment. When they moved into a new house, Heidi saw ghosts, including a neighbor named Conn, who had passed on several years prior.

Anyway, Lisa's husband and Heidi's dad, Andy, passed away recently. I'm not sure what he died of. I only know about this because Lisa posted it on her fb page. Very sad!

crystaldawn
05-21-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't know her, but I'm facebook friends with Lisa Wyrick. Her daughter, Heidi, was the focus of a UM segment. When they moved into a new house, Heidi saw ghosts, including a neighbor named Conn, who had passed on several years prior.

Anyway, Lisa's husband and Heidi's dad, Andy, passed away recently. I'm not sure what he died of. I only know about this because Lisa posted it on her fb page. Very sad!

That is so sad! He was only 45. Here's the obit:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ledger-enquirer/obituary.aspx?n=andrew-jackson-wyrick&pid=157246900&fhid=5784

MegtheEgg86
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Someone may have already posted this but I found this article:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/08/04/Woman-s-disappearance-a-mystery-after-30-years.html

Thanks for posting that, CD. I think Mr. Anderson was completely dedicated to finding his daughter, right until the day he passed. I know he takes a lot of flak on here sometimes for the interview in the segment, but I don't think he was the controlling jerk he's sometimes alleged to be.

McBevis
05-21-2012, 08:31 PM
That's awful about Andy Wyrick and Shannon Perez Miller. They're young enough that I certainly never would have thought about either of them when researching information for this thread. I was trying to find out what I could about these two, but there's not much out there (or I'm looking in the wrong places). Does anybody know how or why either of them died, or how old Shannon Perez Miller was?

sprinkles
05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I tried to google them both for more information and didn't come up with much. I found their obituaries, but neither listed cause of death.

As I said, I'm fb friends with Lisa Wyrick. However, I don't feel comfortable asking what happened since I don't actually know her. She hasn't revealed why he died on there and no one has specifically mentioned the cause in the comments on her wall.

amandab1234
05-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Shannon Perez Miller was 45 when she died. She died a day after her birthday

Steve W.
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow, as someone else mentioned before, having a "People Interviewed on UM That Are Still Alive" thread might be more appropriate at this point. It might be a shorter list than this one.

amandab1234
05-22-2012, 04:17 PM
http://www.tributes.com/show/Shannon-Perez-Miller-85012896

Thats the link to her obit

McBevis
05-23-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.tributes.com/show/Shannon-Perez-Miller-85012896

Thats the link to her obit

Well, I must admit that I'm shocked by one thing in that obituary. It lists her as the daughter of "the late Maryann Perez." Now, I'm not disputing the near-certainty of Maryann being deceased, but I'm pretty sure there was never any identification of remains or any other concrete resolution to that case, so I'm surprised that it would say "the late Maryann Perez" as if it were a definite, indisputable fact. Did something happen in that respect that I'm not aware of?

baloony
05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Steve Brown, the radio talk show host from Nebraska that was interviewed in the Judith Himes case passed away in 2008.

McBevis
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Janice Zelikson, wife of Sam Zelikson (the lucky lottery guy), died in 2011 at the age of 76.

sffan
06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, I must admit that I'm shocked by one thing in that obituary. It lists her as the daughter of "the late Maryann Perez." Now, I'm not disputing the near-certainty of Maryann being deceased, but I'm pretty sure there was never any identification of remains or any other concrete resolution to that case, so I'm surprised that it would say "the late Maryann Perez" as if it were a definite, indisputable fact. Did something happen in that respect that I'm not aware of?
I'm pretty sure her body has never been recovered and not even a trace of her remains have been discovered. This case is not talked about here much, IMO I think its one of the most intriguing, scary cases UM ever profiled.

crystaldawn
06-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Richard Crowe the researcher featured on the "Resurrection Mary" segment died earlier this month. Most fitting he's going to be buried at Resurrection cemetary.

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2472005&spid=

amandab1234
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Janice Zelikson, wife of Sam Zelikson (the lucky lottery guy), died in 2011 at the age of 76.

Did Sam already pass away as well?

McBevis
07-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Did Sam already pass away as well?

As far as I'm able to tell, he's 84 and still alive, which wouldn't surprise me too much given the way Robert Stack decsribed him as "a true survivor; the very definition of resiliency."

If anybody has information indicating that he has died, feel free to correct me.

McBevis
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I had mentioned a while back that Audrey Santo, the little girl in a permanent vegetative state (the result of a near-drowning), who was said to have brought miracles upon those who visited her, had died in 2007 at the age of 13. She was actually 23. At this point, I don't even remember if I actually thought she was 13, or if I just accidentally hit the 1 instead of the 2, but the correct age is indisputably 23.

amandab1234
07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
~ I read on one of these threads that Paul Freshour died. I did a Google search and came across this obit, it might be him the age sounds about right considering when the Circleville Letters took place (I think it was the 70s correct me if Im wrong)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?pid=158360432

amandab1234
07-19-2012, 05:11 PM

I liked him, he seemed like a good guy! Googling his name/obit this came up

~ May 13, 1911 - September 26, 1997
Barney, North Dakota ~

I guess the age seems about right, he looked like he was in his late 60s-early 70s in the 80s when this case took place

amandab1234
07-21-2012, 03:59 AM
http://obitsforlife.com/obituary/476670/McAllister-Gordon.php

~Elderly man from the Blind River Rest Stop Murders passed away this yr on Valentines Day :( he did remarry though

Mysteryphile
07-21-2012, 08:34 AM

~Elderly man from the Blind River Rest Stop Murders passed away this yr on Valentines Day :( he did remarry though

Well he lived a good long life. Glad to see he got married again...he was so devastated when his wife was murdered that he wanted to be dead himself...although I'm sure he never "moved on" at least he found some happiness. May he rest in peace.

McBevis
07-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Well, I'm glad that he lived for a while and found some meaningness in life after Jackie's death, because I actually thought he'd been dead for some time now. Way back earlier in this thread (or a similar one), someone posted that he'd died in 1998 or '99.

amandab1234
07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
both of Cindy James parents passed away here's her moms obit which mentions she was proceeded in death by her husband

http://memoryleaf.net/matilda-hack

Allierain
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Definitely. It's sometimes easy to forget that many of these segments are over 25 years old, give and take a few years. You see the participants essentially frozen in time. You watch the segments many times over the years and come to care about the people involved in these cases. It really does affect you when you learn that some of them are no longer living, especially when many of them passed without a resolution to their cases.

I am very sorry to learn about Duncan Gilmore's passing. I am glad he had several years to get to know his daughter and grandsons.

amandab1234
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Definitely. It's sometimes easy to forget that many of these segments are over 25 years old, give and take a few years. You see the participants essentially frozen in time. You watch the segments many times over the years and come to care about the people involved in these cases. It really does affect you when you learn that some of them are no longer living, especially when many of them passed without a resolution to their cases.

I am very sorry to learn about Duncan Gilmore's passing. I am glad he had several years to get to know his daughter and grandsons.
I didn't know he passed away :( I guess watching the segments u tend to forget how old they really are... I thought Cindy James mother looked much older on the segment & I was surprised when I discovered her age on her obit..

amandab1234
08-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Margaret Loch who was intervied in the Ghost Writer segment, Frank & Teresa Wilsons daughter passed away this yr

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimesherald/obituary.aspx?n=margaret-loch&pid=155794532&referrer=0&preview=True

1990 UM fan
08-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Margaret Loch who was intervied in the Ghost Writer segment, Frank & Teresa Wilsons daughter passed away this yr

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimesherald/obituary.aspx?n=margaret-loch&pid=155794532&referrer=0&preview=True

Was she the one who saw her father's ghost and he told her to write that letter she ended up giving to her mom for her birthday?

1990 UM fan
08-06-2012, 07:30 AM
~ I read on one of these threads that Paul Freshour died. I did a Google search and came across this obit, it might be him the age sounds about right considering when the Circleville Letters took place (I think it was the 70s correct me if Im wrong)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatch/obituary.aspx?pid=158360432

If that's really him, then that blows any chance of finding him guilty or innocent, even after all this time.

amandab1234
08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Was she the one who saw her father's ghost and he told her to write that letter she ended up giving to her mom for her birthday?
That's the one...

amandab1234
08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=158619741&referrer=0&preview=True

**Larry Dickens mother passed away last mth.. Sadly, Besides Larry, 4 other children preceded her in death :(

1990 UM fan
08-15-2012, 12:51 AM
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=158619741&referrer=0&preview=True

**Larry Dickens mother passed away last mth.. Sadly, Besides Larry, 4 other children preceded her in death :(

Did I read that right? She had like, 12 children, with 5 preceding her in death? How did 5 of them die before her? Unusual. Glad she is with the Lord and her relatives now in Heaven.

I found her daughter Dawna, who was interviewed in the episode about her son Larry Dickens: http://www.facebook.com/#!/dawnaparks

RobinW
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Did I read that right? She had like, 12 children, with 5 preceding her in death? How did 5 of them die before her? Unusual. Glad she is with the Lord and her relatives now in Heaven.

I found her daughter Dawna, who was interviewed in the episode about her son Larry Dickens: http://www.facebook.com/#!/dawnaparks

Sad to hear, she was one of my all-time favourite people on the show.

Reading the obituary, it looks like she had 12 children with three different husbands and that two of them died before her. It seems like this poor woman might have dealt with a lot of tragedy in her life.

I believe Dawna actually posted in this forum a couple years ago, denouncing Edward Harold Bell's ridiculous claim that Larry's shooting was an "accident".

dynoguy88
08-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Sad to hear, she was one of my all-time favourite people on the show.

Reading the obituary, it looks like she had 12 children with three different husbands and that two of them died before her. It seems like this poor woman might have dealt with a lot of tragedy in her life.

I believe Dawna actually posted in this forum a couple years ago, denouncing Edward Harold Bell's ridiculous claim that Larry's shooting was an "accident".

Yeah, she posted here a few times. I found it very disturbing when she said the reenactment of Larry's death was toned down a little bit on UM. What actually happened was worse. I asked Dawna how Larry's daughter is doing these days. She would be around 36 years old today. I never got response and she never posted again after that.

I originally thought that obituary was a typo, saying that 4 sons and 1 daughter had already died before she did. GOD, how horrible is that?

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

sffan
08-15-2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks for finding his obituary. It's odd because I remember many earlier posts saying he died back in the late 90's. I guess it was someone else of the same name.

1990 UM fan
08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Riva Lee Boyden, Daphne Boyden's grandmother and LeZhan William's great-grandmother, died last November. Here is her obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesheraldonline/obituary.aspx?n=riva-lee-boyden&pid=154636643#fbLoggedOut

amandab1234
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but he was the husband of Annie Lauren Hearin the woman who was kidnapped and they were asking for ransom. He died only two years after her disapperance. I also didnt know which i guess is a fun fact, at one point he was part owner of the NFL team the NY Jets

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/30/obituaries/robert-hearin-73-mississippi-millionaire.html

baloony
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
What about Mary Kemp, the mother of Don Kemp? Does anyone know if she is still alive?

1990 UM fan
04-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Which one? Was it her sister Christine or one of her brothers?

amandab1234
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Dont know if this one has been mentioned, but

Elizabeth McClenahen died in 1994, she was the mother of Marilyn DePue and was interviewed on UM.

Here's a link where I found the info, and by the looks of it one of Dennis DePue's daughter manages this pg, I think she was the one interviewed on the show

http://www.geni.com/people/Betty-Jane-Martz-McClenahen/6000000014037432071

McBevis
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Dont know if this one has been mentioned, but

Elizabeth McClenahen died in 1994, she was the mother of Marilyn DePue and was interviewed on UM.

Here's a link where I found the info, and by the looks of it one of Dennis DePue's daughter manages this pg, I think she was the one interviewed on the show

http://www.geni.com/people/Betty-Jane-Martz-McClenahen/6000000014037432071

I did mention it a while back in this thread, but no big deal. If you're interested in knowing, Mr. McClenahen is also deceased at this point, though he did live a while longer than his wife. (see page 5)

amandab1234
04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I did mention it a while back in this thread, but no big deal. If you're interested in knowing, Mr. McClenahen is also deceased at this point, though he did live a while longer than his wife. (see page 5)

Yeah sorry about that! I noticed your previous post after I had already posted mine! :wave:

MegtheEgg86
06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
While he wasn't interviewed, he was featured in the Micki Jo West segment:

http://cjonline.com/stories/041200/new_newsman.shtml

Thurman Mitchell left the news in 1998 and began preaching at a non-denominational church. According to the article, he actually died behind the pulpit. He was just 55 years old.

McBevis
06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
While he wasn't interviewed, he was featured in the Micki Jo West segment:

http://cjonline.com/stories/041200/new_newsman.shtml

Thurman Mitchell left the news in 1998 and began preaching at a non-denominational church. According to the article, he actually died behind the pulpit. He was just 55 years old.

I remember him. In fact, one thing that always stuck out for me in that segment was when they showed the picture of the letter that the kidnapper sent to him, the kidnapper misspelled his first name as "Therman."

amandab1234
06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
As we all know, the “Night Stalker” died a few wks ago. He happens to be from my hometown (El Paso, TX) and in the local newspapers obituaries section, his family has set up a guest book

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/elpasotimes/obituary.aspx?n=family-ramirez&pid=165458030

Oldschooler81
10-17-2013, 05:54 AM
This thread is making me so sad. Not just the realization of how old these cases are and how much time has passed... but so many of these people have been like celebrities to me since I was a kid. And lots of us probably have forged an emotional bond with quite a few of them from watching the segments alot.

Duncan Gilmore died pretty young at 62, and only like 7 years after that story was even aired! At the very least, I hope he had a great several years with his daughter and grandsons.

I had no idea Gord McAllister lived all the way into 2012, but I'm glad he got remarried and had quite some more years to look forward to, after the tragedy he lived through.

I brought it up on another thread, but Arthur Karopoulos (who's son Nicholas was kidnapped by the religious nutjob cult his mom was in... he was later reunited with his dad and stepmom) died in 2005 at only 52. The guy looked even younger than his late 30s in the segment, and I can't imagine what he would've died from that young. Very tragic, especially seemed he seemed like such a wonderful dad.

McBevis
10-17-2013, 07:17 AM
This thread is making me so sad. Not just the realization of how old these cases are and how much time has passed... but so many of these people have been like celebrities to me since I was a kid. And lots of us probably have forged an emotional bond with quite a few of them from watching the segments alot.

Duncan Gilmore died pretty young at 62, and only like 7 years after that story was even aired! At the very least, I hope he had a great several years with his daughter and grandsons.

I had no idea Gord McAllister lived all the way into 2012, but I'm glad he got remarried and had quite some more years to look forward to, after the tragedy he lived through.

I brought it up on another thread, but Arthur Karopoulos (who's son Nicholas was kidnapped by the religious nutjob cult his mom was in... he was later reunited with his dad and stepmom) died in 2005 at only 52. The guy looked even younger than his late 30s in the segment, and I can't imagine what he would've died from that young. Very tragic, especially seemed he seemed like such a wonderful dad.

I didn't know that about Arthur Karopoulos, but it's very saddening to hear. He was one of my favorite people on the show, ever. Seemed like a nice guy who was willing to go through anything to bring his son home.

Oldschooler81
10-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I didn't know that about Arthur Karopoulos, but it's very saddening to hear. He was one of my favorite people on the show, ever. Seemed like a nice guy who was willing to go through anything to bring his son home.

Absolutely agree. I was really sad to see that. Yeah I'm not 100% sure, but with a unique name, the SF Bay Area (which I'm also from), and the age matches up...chances are it's him. :( It's inspiring everything he did to rescue Nick and seemed like just a great guy.

McBevis
10-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Absolutely agree. I was really sad to see that. Yeah I'm not 100% sure, but with a unique name, the SF Bay Area (which I'm also from), and the age matches up...chances are it's him. :( It's inspiring everything he did to rescue Nick and seemed like just a great guy.

Yeah, I'd like to think you're wrong, but I tend to believe you're right. How many Arthur Karopouloses could there possibly be?

Also, regarding someone else you mentioned, Duncan Gilmore, I don't have that one single piece of concrete information that would indisputably prove that it's him, but in the information that I found, not only did his age and location seem to match up, but a Suzanne Gilmore (which was his wife's name) was at the top of the list for possible relatives, so I feel pretty confident about it.

Oldschooler81
10-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I'd like to think you're wrong, but I tend to believe you're right. How many Arthur Karopouloses could there possibly be?

Also, regarding someone else you mentioned, Duncan Gilmore, I don't have that one single piece of concrete information that would indisputably prove that it's him, but in the information that I found, not only did his age and location seem to match up, but a Suzanne Gilmore (which was his wife's name) was at the top of the list for possible relatives, so I feel pretty confident about it.

Yeah, I'd sure like to think it's not the same Arthur, but everything points to it being him.

Oh unfortunately I'd say that's almost certainly that Duncan Gilmore. I wonder if, after a certain time, the obituaries disappear from being online (especially since the Internet was still just taking off in 1998, may not even have been posted to begin with) so we can't find out the cause?

Interestingly, while he looked a bit older than mid 50s in 1991 (looked like 70), he also looked to be in great health...and if he was in the military, he must've been in pretty good shape too. Of course death can happen to anyone, but it's still saddening.

Oldschooler81
10-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Sad news that Claude Berreckman (the attorney that Christi Nichols went to) just passed away a few weeks ago on Sept 28th. He stayed at his practice the whole time. He just seemed like a very nice man, such as the lengths he went to look out for Christie when she visited his office. Cozen is 10 miles east of Gothenburg.

http://www.kearneyhub.com/obituaries/local/claude-berreckman/article_5b11ee0a-70d5-5f23-a8d6-df70a286aa3d.html

MegtheEgg86
10-27-2013, 03:42 AM
Sad news that Claude Berreckman (the attorney that Christi Nichols went to) just passed away a few weeks ago on Sept 28th. He stayed at his practice the whole time. He just seemed like a very nice man, such as the lengths he went to look out for Christie when she visited his office. Cozen is 10 miles east of Gothenburg.

http://www.kearneyhub.com/obituaries/local/claude-berreckman/article_5b11ee0a-70d5-5f23-a8d6-df70a286aa3d.html

Really sorry to hear that. I read some pretty neat stories about his marathons and races (which he participated in well into his 60s and 70s). Unfortunately, aside from the sadness that goes with anyone's death, that's one less person to attest to Christi's story. :(

OldUMViewer
10-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Delbert Heck Jr., from the Heck family lost loves segment, died in 2003 at the age of 69.

Fritz Vincken died in 2001 at the age of 69.

The Lost Love segments were among my favorites from the show, having hoped for the families all of those cases would show reunions:( Is it known what year the unions were? IIRC Fritz was the boy who had christmas 1944 chicken soup dinner with american and german soilders and was reunited with one, and Keelee Shay Smith was with Stack for this and Heck reunion - great depression era Heck family took in 2 sisters and he would ask about the little girls and was reunited with Ada.

wiseguy182
10-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Fritz and the soldiers had chicken soup for dinner? The reunion must have been chicken soup for the soul.

Oldschooler81
10-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Really sorry to hear that. I read some pretty neat stories about his marathons and races (which he participated in well into his 60s and 70s). Unfortunately, aside from the sadness that goes with anyone's death, that's one less person to attest to Christi's story. :(

My feelings as well. I admire Mr. Berreckman even more for taking his time to volunteer with local children and people in the community. I'm not surprised he reached out to Christi. I wonder if he was ever interviewed about her, besides the UM segment? That's a pretty rural area, so I'm sure (especially with it being in reruns for many years later) it was somewhat common knowledge that he was briefly on national tv.

Oldschooler81
10-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Fritz and the soldiers had chicken soup for dinner? The reunion must have been chicken soup for the soul.

It's a shame that Fritz died only 5 years after that segment, and still on the young side. I remember Keely said that Ralph Blanc was in poor health during the update, so chances are he passed away shortly after that. It's just good that they got to meet again.

McBevis
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
The Lost Love segments were among my favorites from the show, having hoped for the families all of those cases would show reunions:( Is it known what year the unions were? IIRC Fritz was the boy who had christmas 1944 chicken soup dinner with american and german soilders and was reunited with one, and Keelee Shay Smith was with Stack for this and Heck reunion - great depression era Heck family took in 2 sisters and he would ask about the little girls and was reunited with Ada.

The story you're thinking of is that of Charlie Best and his family, who took in two sisters named Ada and Madeline Underwood, while their father struggled to pull his life together. The Bests and Underwoods lost touch for years until Ada Underwood saw the segment and called UM. Her sister died in 1978. The Heck family were a group of children (I forget how many, though at least 6 - Delbert, Jim, Florence, Doris, Tommy and another whose name I can't remember off the top of my head) who were split apart in 1944 due to poverty. All but one of them (Tommy) managed to reunite in the years leading up to UM, and it was their hope that by reaching out to UM's widespread audience, they would be able to find Tommy, which fortunately, they did.

McBevis
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Bonnie Bullough, the nurse who matter-of-factly described Therapeutic Touch as "baloney," has been dead since 1996. She was 69.

unsolved1981
01-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Patrick Conway, widower of Aileen (Anderson) Conway, died in August 2013:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Conway&GSiman=1&GScid=98639&GRid=115772165&

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K145-27X

He had remarried after Aileen's strange death.

RobinW
01-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Patrick Conway, widower of Aileen (Anderson) Conway, died in August 2013:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Conway&GSiman=1&GScid=98639&GRid=115772165&

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K145-27X

He had remarried after Aileen's strange death.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Since there's so little information available about this case on the Net, I always wondered what happened to him. It's sad Pat died because he seemed like a pretty nice man, but I'm glad to see that he got to enjoy another 25-year marriage after his wife's death. I felt the same way after finding out that Gord McAllister got remarried and lived another 20 years following his wife's horrific death. Hopefully, Pat now knows the truth about what happened to Aileen.

TracyLynnS
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
David Mann from the Mann House / Lake Wales Haunting segment passed away on New Years Day 2007. He was only 62.

I haven't seen the segment in so long, I forgot if he was even interviewed. From the information given here, it seems like he was a nice guy. Among other things, his obituary says that he owned his own business, was an Army veteran (Vietnam), and was a boy scout leader for many years.

His survivors included his wife Sandra, a daughter, a son (Alan from the UM segment), a brother, two sisters, and five grandchildren.

http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=82596&fh_id=10334

amandab1234
03-20-2014, 06:15 PM
David Mann from the Mann House / Lake Wales Haunting segment passed away on New Years Day 2007. He was only 62.

I haven't seen the segment in so long, I forgot if he was even interviewed. From the information given here, it seems like he was a nice guy. Among other things, his obituary says that he owned his own business, was an Army veteran (Vietnam), and was a boy scout leader for many years.

His survivors included his wife Sandra, a daughter, a son (Alan from the UM segment), a brother, two sisters, and five grandchildren.

http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=82596&fh_id=10334

That’s sad news.. not to be mean or anything but I thought he was about 60 when they interviewed him on UM… and Alan remarried Im guessing.. wasnt his wife named Linda? (in the segment)

TracyLynnS
03-20-2014, 08:03 PM
That’s sad news.. not to be mean or anything but I thought he was about 60 when they interviewed him on UM… and Alan remarried Im guessing.. wasnt his wife named Linda? (in the segment)

Yep, it looks like Alan and Linda divorced and Alan was married to someone else at the time of his dad's death.

I found a bunch of info and posted it in the main Mann House / Lake Wales Haunting thread. I posted the address of the house in the UM Locations thread, so you can see what it looks like now on street view.

Apparently David Mann was about 48 years old when the segment was filmed. For the life of me, I can't remember him. I just remember Linda and Alan because they seemed so odd. And I think I remember them saying something about Alan's mom's dog seeing a ghost? lol :dog:

mah79
03-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this was already posted, but I found this obituary link for Mrs. CW Roddy. It says she passed away in November 2012. She was the woman who stood up to the drug dealers who took over her block in East Palo Alto, CA, and who nearly lost her life for it. I always admired her courage.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=161172675

dynoguy88
03-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this was already posted, but I found this obituary link for Mrs. CW Roddy. It says she passed away in November 2012. She was the woman who stood up to the drug dealers who took over her block in East Palo Alto, CA, and who nearly lost her life for it. I always admired her courage.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?pid=161172675

Only one time did I see that segment, which was the night it originally aired back in the day. Over a decade of Lifetime reruns, I never saw it again. But I'll never forget that woman and her bravery.

unsolved1981
03-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Retired Hamilton Co Ohio Chief Deputy Sheriff Victor Carrelli, who was interviewed for the Dave Bocks segment, died in 2007 at age 83:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18767197

unsolved1981
04-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Edward J Kuriansky, who prosecuted Sheldon Weinberg and was interviewed in the first and update segment, died in 2007 from colon cancer at only 63:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/nyregion/13kuriansky.html