PDA

View Full Version : Cindy James - Homicide or Suicide?

Wicked_Mistress
07-12-2008, 04:22 AM
I just got done watching this episode for the millionth time and I can't get enough of it...I know there are books written about this crime but they seem to all be out of print.

What do you think about this story?

I honestly think it was suicide and she was definately showing some odd/multiple personality behavior...:confused:

crystaldawn
07-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I just got done watching this episode for the millionth time and I can't get enough of it...I know there are books written about this crime but they seem to all be out of print.

What do you think about this story?

I honestly think it was suicide and she was definately showing some odd/multiple personality behavior...:confused:

I definitely think she was murdered. There are two books currently out about the case. I sent a friend from the board links to both of them recently and you can still get them online. Also Cindy's sister (who posts on here) has written a book about her sister's death. We're still unsure exactly when it will come out but here is her website with more info:

www.melaniehack.com

ididn'tdoit
07-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Hey Wicked Mistress! I don't agree with you there, her psychologist stated in the segment the he never ever saw any evidence whatsoever that Cindy might have Multiple personality disorder or something of that nature, and Cindy's parents said the same thing, they had never experienced anything that would make them believe that that was the case. I think that part from the segment was actually cut from Lifetime and the boxed sets which really amazes me because that's pretty key information there.

TeresaB24
07-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I've always been on the fence about this one. On one hand I think she did it to herself for attention, on the other hand it might have been someone she rejected who sought revenege.

~ Teresab24

marionstar
07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
So the UM segment mentions that she was married, yet nothing else is mentioned about her husband, which was kinda strange imo. I'm assuming they were no longer together since he was never there when Cindy was being harrarassed. Does anyone know anything else about him? Just wondering if he may have had something to do with all this.

Btw, I just don't see how this could've been suicide....

crystaldawn
07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
So the UM segment mentions that she was married, yet nothing else is mentioned about her husband, which was kinda strange imo. I'm assuming they were no longer together since he was never there when Cindy was being harrarassed. Does anyone know anything else about him? Just wondering if he may have had something to do with all this.

Btw, I just don't see how this could've been suicide....

Its been a while since I've read the books but Cindy was separated or divorced just before all the harassment began. Her husband was a doctor and the books portrayed him to be quite odd so like you I never understood why he never seemed to be a suspect.

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I've always been on the fence about this one. On one hand I think she did it to herself for attention, on the other hand it might have been someone she rejected who sought revenege.

~ Teresab24

I'm on the fence, too. People with extreme dissociative disorder do almost unbelievable things.

Wicked_Mistress
07-12-2008, 11:56 PM
And there were also some interesting things that Cindy said to her parents when she was released from the psychiatric hospital....for example, she told her mother that "she knew who was bothering her" and that "she would tell her soon" but didn't want her mother to know "so as not to hurt her".

Anyone could read into these statements as coming from a scared woman who is being stalked and threatened with her life and that of her family's....but when I heard that I thought, "this could be her final message to her mother before she finally acts out her big scene" and that she knew that if she told her mother the truth (that she, herself was the culprit) that her mother would not able to handle the truth.

We also don't know how often Cindy would see/spend time with her parents...in my opinion, it seemed that she isolated herself quite a bit and therefore I would be quite easy for her to have some serious mental issues and be able to hide it from her parents....read up on some psychology textbooks about certain psychological disorders....it's amazing how people can seem normal one moment and then insane the next.:crazy:

alfiechat
07-13-2008, 07:35 AM
See, I tend to lean towards the opinion that she was murdered. Correct me if I am wrong, but she was found with her hands tied behind her back, right? I just don't see how she could have killed herself in that position. But again, just my opinion.

leafygreens
07-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Cindy James, what a nut-job! There is no way she was murdered! She could have tied herself up and then taken the morphine or taken the morphine first and quickly tied herself. No one was around while any of the one hundred "events" happened? And the knife she could have stabbed through her own hand. Not buying that that Cindy James was murdered!

mphs95
07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I think perhaps she was murdered. Perhaps in the beginning, she was psychiatric problems and she caused the "incidents" herself for attention, or started to, at least. However, in the end, hyped on as morphine as she was, there's no way she would have the coherance to strip and hogtie herself under someone's stairs. I've always wondered why her husband was not talked about enough. Maybe she just exaggerated the incidents to get attention for the other harassment, so someone would pay attention. Unfortunately, this mystery may not be truly solved.

ididn'tdoit
07-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Another thing, which P.I. Ozzie Kaban also stated, is that they were never able to find a syringe, which you would probably find nearby if she had actually injected the morphine herself.

crystaldawn
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I think that people who think she committed suicide may think differently if they read the books on the case. Not guaranteed but UM didn't really give much information in their short segment. I seem to recall in one of the books that a couple of the phone calls took place while others were present (a fact UM didn't mention). Cindy's sisters book about her death will apparently have a lot more info than either one of the other books did.

leafygreens
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I think that people who think she committed suicide may think differently if they read the books on the case. Not guaranteed but UM didn't really give much information in their short segment. I seem to recall in one of the books that a couple of the phone calls took place while others were present (a fact UM didn't mention). Cindy's sisters book about her death will apparently have a lot more info than either one of the other books did.

What are the book titles?

crystaldawn
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
What are the book titles?

Who Killed Cindy James by Ian Mulgrew
http://www.covertocoverbooks.ca/si/0050074.html

Deaths of Cindy James by Neal Hall
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=1531490&matches=3&wquery=The+Deaths+of+Cindy+James&cm_sp=works*listing*title

leafygreens
07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Who Killed Cindy James by Ian Mulgrew
http://www.covertocoverbooks.ca/si/0050074.html

Deaths of Cindy James by Neal Hall
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=1531490&matches=3&wquery=The+Deaths+of+Cindy+James&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Neal Hall was interviewed in the episode. He appeared to be a huge skeptic. I'm interested to see if his book is different.

mike890
07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
No doubt in my mind that she killed herself. Supposedly hundreds of incidents of harrassment and several assaults and NOT ONE other person saw anything. The woman is supposedly scared for her life and she goes out walking her dog in the middle of the night. Her friend's basement was lit on fire when there was absolutely no signs of forced entry. The threatening phone calls that I have heard are just laughable to say the least. Its obviously a woman trying to sound like a man who is also drug crazed. "Hey man, more smack, more downers."

http://www.melaniehack.com/media.html

You can hear these calls on this site. This woman was a very distrurbed individual.

marionstar
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Cindy's sister makes a good point on one of her recent blogs where she talks about the JonBenet Ramsey case. If there is evidence still left (envelopes, cigarettes, etc.), it could be checked for DNA and at least we'd know for sure if Cindy was behind all the threats and harassment.

I also find it interesting that one of the videos on the sister's website mentions Cindy's ex-husband as a suspect. There is recording of him on one of the news stories and the message left on HIS answering machine sound a lot like him imo.

But, back to my first point, so much has changed as far as technology is concerned since Cindy James's death, that I think it would be easily solveable now. This is true for many of the UM cases. JonBenet's case isn't the only one I've seen recently that is closer to being solved, or was solved, because of new technology.

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, but are the authorities willing to spend the time and money on cases not as high-profile as JonBenét's, in which they might be proven wrong?

Allierain
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Cindy James, what a nut-job!

No doubt Cindy James had mental issues. But as someone who has dealt with mental illness in my own family, I take offense to you calling her a nut-job.

You're entitled to your opinion but that's not cool.

leafygreens
07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
No doubt Cindy James had mental issues. But as someone who has dealt with mental illness in my own family, I take offense to you calling her a nut-job.

You're entitled to your opinion but that's not cool.

I have dealt with mental illness in my family as well and take no offense to the term "nut-job." I guess we are from different worlds.

Mastermind
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Newbie to the forum, but lifelong fan of UM.

This case reminds a lot of Tammy Lepperts case in that it has the same parameters.

One thing that comes to mind is the following phrase;

"Just cause your paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't out to get you"

I think it's quite possible that there was indeed a real threat to Cindy and this fear and threat morphed into insanity.

Whether her demise was the result of her own hands or by someone elses, it's possible a very real threat of an individual drove her to her fate.

suzannec4444
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi

I agree with you when you said Whether her demise was the result of her own hands or by someone elses, it's possible a very real threat of an individual drove her to her fate.

suzanne

Kyte
07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Cindy James, what a nut-job! There is no way she was murdered! She could have tied herself up and then taken the morphine or taken the morphine first and quickly tied herself. No one was around while any of the one hundred "events" happened? And the knife she could have stabbed through her own hand. Not buying that that Cindy James was murdered!

Obviously you haven't seen other programs on it or read her sister's point of view.

First of all, UM never gives you the full story. They cut the part about how the psychiatrist and her parents said there was no proof of any disorder. Second, even if she had injected morphine to herself, there thus would be no way in hell for her to hogtie herself up like that; you'd be fumbling like crazy.

I believe there was something broader and she knew something others didn't want her to know. And her parents said James WOULD NEVER have committed suicide like that; I remember they said something like how she would've walked her dog first and not of gone out so abruptly.

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Hi

I agree with you when you said Whether her demise was the result of her own hands or by someone elses, it's possible a very real threat of an individual drove her to her fate.

suzanne

The Reader's Digest ran an article about a woman who had been kidnapped and held as a sex slave as a teenager. The newspaper published her real name and everything as her name had already been used in articles on her being a missing person. Years later, with the woman living elsewhere under a married name, someone found the article and demanded money to keep it quiet. She began receiving threatening letters. The call was real, but the letters were all written by herself in a dissociative state. That's why I say, people in this state can do wacko things, even if this case was not one of them.

Wicked_Mistress
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm just taking everything her parents said about her with a grain of salt.

I mean, how many times have people done crazy or horrible things and then their family and friends are left saying, "We never saw this coming" or "We never thought they would've done this".

None of us know how well Cindy's parents knew her when she was living by herself.

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
07-17-2008, 03:41 AM
What was most telling to me is her mother admitted the possibility that she might kill herself, just said it would not be in that way.

Mastermind
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Two things that i wonder about this case;

1. I wonder if Cindy James, was raped at some point and perhaps never told anyone. That could explain a lot of her psychosis. Perhaps she was raped by a co-worker or someone close to her.

2. A lot of her symptoms also give hints of an abusive spouse. Has anyone looked into her ex-husband?

purple rose
07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Did you know that Allison Dubois read my transcript (I'm Cindy's sister who wrote the book that is coming out)? She wrote a blurb for the back of my book:
"I found that Who Killed My Sister, My Friend allowed me to step into the shoes
of Cindy James and attempt to follow the twists and turns that
constructed the darker days of her life. If mystery intrigues you as it
does me then you will be glued to this book as I was. This is a whodunit that will have you questioning if Melanie Hack's sister was ever murdered at all."
~ Allison DuBois, of NBC's TV Show Medium
Does that make you think it could be suicide? Or can you realize that I talk about the suicide theory and go way beyond that…
BTWN you and me, Allison has told me who she believes was involved in Cindy’s death…and it’s a shocker.

cocytus
12-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Obviously you haven't seen other programs on it or read her sister's point of view.

First of all, UM never gives you the full story. They cut the part about how the psychiatrist and her parents said there was no proof of any disorder. Second, even if she had injected morphine to herself, there thus would be no way in hell for her to hogtie herself up like that; you'd be fumbling like crazy.

I believe there was something broader and she knew something others didn't want her to know. And her parents said James WOULD NEVER have committed suicide like that; I remember they said something like how she would've walked her dog first and not of gone out so abruptly.

Let's see:

1) What other programs have there been on this story?

2) I have found that when UM doesn't give the "full story" the primary reason is to make the segment appear to be "mysterious." Most of the stories on the show have rational and complete explanation that if they were shown,would make the narrative rather dull and pedestrian.

But if you leave out crucial details and don't question people in the know (in this case Ms. James ex-husband,etc) then that lack of detail can make an average story appear to be like a profound mystery.

3) Perhaps the psychiatrist was/is a terrible physician. And there's no way that anybody can say w/ certainty that anyone else WON'T commit suicide. If an independent doctor had examined Ms. James, maybe his/her evaluation would have been substantial different.

The idea when you go to a doctor is for them to tell you what's wrong w/ you,not what you want to hear. Perhaps the doctor told Ms. James what she wanted to hear and that's what she "needed" to hear

4) If she was murdered, what was the motivation? Why didn't the killer hide the body? Why go through all of the hassles tying up a person that you are going to kill anyway? Why not shoot,stab,strangle or bludgeon her? Those all would have been easier and quicker than the "method(s)" used.

If people who have thoroughly investigated Ms. James and her story don't believe that she was the victim of a murder, then why should anybody else believe she was either?

alistaircrane
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Cindy James was obviously murdered. I'm not sure why people like to blame the victim, but I don't. Someone or a group of someones stalked her for over 7 years, possibly because she had uncovered information on a ring of pedophiles. She was eventually murdered after being put through the emotional ringer.

cocytus
12-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Cindy James was obviously murdered. I'm not sure why people like to blame the victim, but I don't. Someone or a group of someones stalked her for over 7 years, possibly because she had uncovered information on a ring of pedophiles. She was eventually murdered after being put through the emotional ringer.

Ok, even if what you are saying is true, where's the evidence of that?

1) A reporter, who researched Ms. James and the case as closely as anyone found no evidence that she was being stalked and/or harassed.

2) The police, who spent a staggering amount time and money on this case alone (probably to the detriment of other cases) found no evidence that Ms. James was being harassed by an outside entity or individual.

Now...are you stating that those two groups...who know far more about this case than you or I or anybody on this forum are both completely wrong? Remembering that they have seen all of the evidence, talked w/ all of the principals and have even interviewed Ms. James when she was alive. Do you honestly think that watching a eight minute television segment that was edited to remove most facts that might make this NOT a mystery, makes you or I more of an expert than those people?

Really?