PDA

View Full Version : Square Pegs - The Complete Series DVD Review

TJ
05-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Square Pegs follows the hilarious misadventures of Patty (Sarah Jessica Parker, TV's "Sex and the City") and Lauren (Amy Linker), two freshman girls desperate to fit in at Weemawee High School. Befriended by oddball characters Marshall (John Femia), a budding comedian, and Johnny Slash (Merritt Butrick), a wacky new-waver, Patty and Lauren still hope to impress the popular kids: valley girl Jennifer (Tracy Nelson), her tough boyfriend Vinnie (Jon Caliri), and their sassy friend LaDonna (Claudette Wells). And it would "behoove us" to not forget Muffy (Jami Gertz), the ever-peppy preppie!

Acclaimed by critics, Square Pegs struck a chord with viewers of all ages and developed a huge cult following. Featuring guest stars Bill Murray, Martin Mull - plus New Wave acts Devo and The Waitresses (who perform the opening theme song) - all 19 digitally remastered, rad episodes are now available in this awesome three-disc set, on DVD for, like totally the first time ever!

Read my review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/squarepegsthecompleteseriesdvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.

jaime_weinman
05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the review. I'm trying to figure out what music has and hasn't been changed, but I'm not really sure; the song they used in place of Billy Idol has lyrics ("It's high time that you got my message") so I have no idea if it's a real song or a library piece. Does anybody who is familiar with the original episodes know if the original songs are still there in places, or if they're replacements? Like in the first episode, at the gym, the first song played has lyrics that go something like "Look in the mirror, turn around three times." I don't know if that's the song that was there originally or not, let alone if that's a real song. It sounds like a lot of songs are intact, but I just can't tell for sure.

One thing is, if they have the original elements to change songs under dialogue, couldn't they have taken out the laugh track? Oh, well.

TJ
05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I wish I had recorded all of the episodes when Comcast was airing them. They looked to have all the original music, even though the prints didn't look quite as good. I only recorded the first 4 and last 4 episodes, which I haven't had the time to check.

I couldn't indentify the song that replaced "Dancing with Myself" either. I tried Googling a few of the lyrics and came up empty.

The laugh track was annoying. I read that USA Network once had aired an episode or two without it.

MikeTV
05-21-2008, 03:24 PM
The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping is missing from the Christmas episode. It's been replaced by something called "I Wanna Be Your Santa Claus Tonight".

Robert 13
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping is missing from the Christmas episode. It's been replaced by something called "I Wanna Be Your Santa Claus Tonight".
Oh No! I'm glad I taped that episode when it was on TV Land. :)

Jude The Obscure
05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
What about the theme song? did they replace that too?

Robert 13
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
No, the theme song is included in its entirety. The Waitresses perform "I Know What Boys Like" and "Square Pegs" in the Pilot episode. Strange that they couldn't clear the rights for "Christmas Wrapping" but they could for the other two.

Nighthawk76
05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I bought my copy of the DVD on Tuesday night and I have watched the first four episodes so far. The picture and sound quality is so much better than when the series was shown on TV Land. However, what I like most is getting to watch the episodes uncut for the first time. It is like seeing the episodes for the first time. "The Pilot" and "Square Pigskins" have quite a few scenes that were not shown during the TV Land broadcast.

Nighthawk76
05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
No, the theme song is included in its entirety. The Waitresses perform "I Know What Boys Like" and "Square Pegs" in the Pilot episode. Strange that they couldn't clear the rights for "Christmas Wrapping" but they could for the other two.

That's strange. It is a shame too because "Christmas Wrapping" is such a great song.

Jude The Obscure
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I remember on the original CBS run, the opening theme song was used for like the first 4 or 5 episodes, then replaced by an instrumental. The closing theme was always the Waitresses' "Square Pegs". So I take it, it's like this on the DVD as well. I may have to rent this on Netflix. I'm not sure if I really want to own it.

Nighthawk76
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know how well the set is selling?