PDA

View Full Version : Kyra Cook - Girl with amnesia

ididn'tdoit
02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I was just watching the Kyra Cook case, one of the Pre-Stack Specials.

Kyra was the young girl from Longview, Washington who suffered from a rare case of amnesia. According to police it was most likely caused by her getting hit by a car, Kyra's mom however thinks she was probably assaulted and was hit in the head by the attacker. An unidentified stranger then dropped her off at the Police Station.

At the time she couldn't remember anything, not her name, who her parents were - nothing. However she eventually regained her abilities to paint and speak German but that was just about it. I really felt for her and her mother and I hope she eventually regained her memory :(

Does anyone know what happened to her? Was there an update? :confused:

justins5256
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Really wish I had an answer for you chief. This is one of those cases I would love to know some kind of an update for. I will say though, that if I was the guy who dropped her off, I probably wouldn't come forward. It seemed this person was in for an intense grilling, whether they were guilty of anything or not.

DarkDante
02-23-2008, 04:18 PM
^ I feel very much the same way about this case that you do. Its hard to tell whether or not there was ever any type of resolution to this case being that it was part of Special #2 and only aired twice to my knowledge.

The only thing we can confirm is it wasn't updated by the time special #3 rolled around as it wasn't included in those updates. Nor was any update included in the updates during special #7.

Kyra Cook's case in my opinion would be very hard to solve. I tend to agree with the theory of perhaps an attempted robbery or some sort since Kyra did have posessions taken off her at the time of the attack. I'd probably cast my vote towards that direction more than I would a hit and run. I don't know where I'd figure the mysterious driver into her case just yet. I guess if you believe Kyra was the victim of a car accident, you could draw the line due to his bizarre behavior that he could've been responsible for the accident.

As far as a prognosis for recovery: Amnesia is such a puzzle its hard to determine what Kyra's chances for recovery were. The incident that caused Kyra's amnesia took place in 1986, a year prior to the filiming of her UM segment. From what I've taken from the segment, in that entire year Kyra had not had any breakthroughs as far as regaining any of her memory which probably doesn't bode well for recovery. The segment described she still retained some skills that she had prior to the attack. However, any knowledge she had about her family or personal life came from what she had been told after the attack by other people.

To understand this in layman's terms its probable that the part of Kyra's brain that was affected by the attack did not control the skills she retained after the attack but the part of her brain that stored her memories was affected. Its kind of like when someone has a stroke depending which side of the brain is affected determines what is lost and what remains.

Kyra's form of amnesia seems to be Retrograde amnesia. There is no cure for Retrograde amnesia except as was stressed in the UM segment, its possible that if Kyra's memory was jogged she might have been able to recover somewhat. I personally would find it highly unlikely that her memory would've just returned out of the blue (like it does on sitcoms) but anything is possible I guess.

Its a sad case and what always gets me is how at the end of the segment Kyra says "I look forward to in twenty years having some memories to look back on" or something to that effect. Well its been twenty years now and every now and then I wonder how she's doing. I hope she's been able to have her share of many good memories over the past twenty years. Maybe someday (as it has been the case with other cases) someone will drop in here and let us know how she's doing...

crystaldawn
02-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know what happened to her? Was there an update? :confused:

Do you happen to remember what city she was from or the name of the county? I may try and contact the sheriff's dept. there and see if they tell me anything.

OT: Dante your signature is making me ill.....Go Cubs!!! :p

ididn'tdoit
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Do you happen to remember what city she was from or the name of the county? I may try and contact the sheriff's dept. there and see if they tell me anything.

OT: Dante your signature is making me ill.....Go Cubs!!! :p

Yes, it was in Longview, Washington state. :)

crystaldawn
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes, it was in Longview, Washington state. :)

Thanks! Apparently the police officer who was interviewed in the segment still works for that sheriff's department. I sent him an email so I'll be sure and post it if he replies back.

ididn'tdoit
02-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks! Apparently the police officer who was interviewed in the segment still works for that sheriff's department. I sent him an email so I'll be sure and post it if he replies back.

Wow, thanks CD! I'll keep my fingers crossed!! :)

unsolvedmysteriesfan
07-02-2008, 06:27 AM

Crystaldawn, any luck?!

crystaldawn
07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Crystaldawn, any luck?!

No, I never heard back.

DarkDante
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Kyra Cook article (pre-dates UM)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=archive&ct=res&cd=2-0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fid%3D12cVAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DV-EDAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D6996%2C1687784%26dq%3Dkyra-cook%26hl%3Den&ei=IEtjS7jUC8qbgAfm7cTVAw&usg=AFQjCNFhRbObyQXhzJedo32ji-NlwkOLJQ

Shahla
01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
I think if she was hit by a car she would have had more injuries than 'just' a bump on the head.
And wasn't she wandering around for a while before she got that ride? Then it seems to me that person was just doing her a favour: giving her a lift and drove off when it was done. Not so unusual, I guess.

justins5256
01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I never believed she was hit by a car. Like others have said, the injuries just weren't there. Also, she was missing some of her belongings. That makes me think of a robbery type scenario. Perhaps she fought with her assailant and was struck on the head.

UM briefly mentioned that another young blond girl had been assaulted numerous times in the park. I really wish they had given some more info here. Who was this girl? Why was she being attacked repeatedly? Were their suspects (an ex or stalker perhaps)? Was this person ever apprehended?

I can't recall if I posted this here or on the IMDB forum but it occurred to me that perhaps the "Good Samaritan" who dropped her off at the police station may have had other reasons for not wanting to interact with the police directly. Perhaps they had an outstanding warrant. It could have been something as mundane as unpaid parking tickets, that given the scope of the situation seems extremely minor but this person's first instinct was to save their own behind. I think it's possible this person may have just been passing through and not necessarily from the Longview area. They may have missed the media campaign that followed Kyra's identification and recovery.

BTW, good job finding that article, Dark. I have found that many newspapers are converting their mirofilms to jpegs, gifs or some other viewable formats and putting them on Google. It makes for some interesting reading as keyword searches we may have done on the cases years ago that didn't lead to anything are now yielding results.

JackKerouac1989
12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I never believed she was hit by a car. Like others have said, the injuries just weren't there. Also, she was missing some of her belongings. That makes me think of a robbery type scenario. Perhaps she fought with her assailant and was struck on the head.

I think that is most likely what happened. I recently rewatched this segment and that part at the end where she says she can't wait for twenty years to pass so she'll have twenty years worth of memories again was real sad :(
It's been more than twenty years since the segment aired and I can't help but wonder how she's doing now and if she ever got some memories back and was able to move on.
I wish there was a way to find out how she's doing now.

TheCars1986
09-06-2013, 03:20 PM
I saw this one for the first time on my DVR yesterday (the Farina hosted episodes). I don't even know what to make of it. I know some people (including Kyra's parents) believe she was assaulted and was the victim of a robbery, which is quite possible. I just don't see how the guy who gave her a ride would have been the one involved. Although it's strange that he would just drive away after dropping her off, I find it even more strange that after attacking her he would leisurely sit on the hood of his car and wait for her to walk to him. How would he know she would have amnesia!? While other amnesia cases seem somewhat farfetched, this is one of the few that is pretty believable. Other cases of amnesia seem to have a motive for their sudden loss of memory, I can't think of one in this case. And IIRC, it was over a year after the incident when the segment was filmed and she still said she had no memory of anything from her past. I doubt someone would have been able to keep the ruse up that long.

justins5256
08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I saw this one for the first time on my DVR yesterday (the Farina hosted episodes). I don't even know what to make of it. I know some people (including Kyra's parents) believe she was assaulted and was the victim of a robbery, which is quite possible. I just don't see how the guy who gave her a ride would have been the one involved. Although it's strange that he would just drive away after dropping her off, I find it even more strange that after attacking her he would leisurely sit on the hood of his car and wait for her to walk to him. How would he know she would have amnesia!? While other amnesia cases seem somewhat farfetched, this is one of the few that is pretty believable. Other cases of amnesia seem to have a motive for their sudden loss of memory, I can't think of one in this case. And IIRC, it was over a year after the incident when the segment was filmed and she still said she had no memory of anything from her past. I doubt someone would have been able to keep the ruse up that long.

I know this was a while ago, but do you recall if the Farina episode had any sort of an update?

Did they mention the other assaults that were going on in the park?

Not a big deal if you don't remember. Just watched this last night and was wondering about updates and if the other assaults in the park were solved, or if anything more was said. I can't find much in cyberspace, unfortunately.

TheCars1986
08-06-2014, 11:06 AM
I know this was a while ago, but do you recall if the Farina episode had any sort of an update?

Did they mention the other assaults that were going on in the park?

Not a big deal if you don't remember. Just watched this last night and was wondering about updates and if the other assaults in the park were solved, or if anything more was said. I can't find much in cyberspace, unfortunately.

No, there was no update unfortunately. I don't even think there was a "if you have any information, log on to unsolved.com" type of deal. It ended with Farina saying something to the effect of Kyra is working to slowly rebuild her memory.

justins5256
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
No, there was no update unfortunately. I don't even think there was a "if you have any information, log on to unsolved.com" type of deal. It ended with Farina saying something to the effect of Kyra is working to slowly rebuild her memory.

Must be some slow progress...

TheCars1986
08-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Must be some slow progress...

Indeed...

I did find it extremely weird that the guy who gave Kyra a ride left immediately after dropping her off at the police station. And I don't remember whether or not the man even spoke to her on the ride there.

justins5256
08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Indeed...

I did find it extremely weird that the guy who gave Kyra a ride left immediately after dropping her off at the police station. And I don't remember whether or not the man even spoke to her on the ride there.

Yes, I never could figure out the angle there.

If it was some sort of a vehicular accident involving himself and Kyra, I suppose the guy could have felt bad about it and dropped her off at the police station, then took off because he didn't want to get in trouble.

Or, he could have been some random guy who saw her, realized she needed help, and dropped her off, yet didn't want to talk to the police or get involved himself for whatever reason. Maybe he had an outstanding warrant or unpaid parking tickets, was high and or drunk, or something stupid like that.

I just don't think the injuries were there to suggest a car accident. She only had a bump on the head. I would think if she was hit by a car, it would be more extensive.

This also doesn't explain Kyra's missing purse and other belongings.

Two other theories were proposed...

Robbery - would explain the bump on the head. Would explain the missing belongings.

Problem: who is the guy who took her to the police station?

Mistaken identity - Malden very briefly mentioned that on three separate occasions a young woman who resembled Kyra had been assaulted by a "strange man" in the park. Literally, this is all that was said.

Would explain the bump on the head and the missing items. Again though, who took her to the police station?

Malden mentioned that amnesia happens to about 1 person in 5 million. Also, the doctor interviewed on the segment said he never thought Kyra was fabricating anything.

Overall, I think her case seems legit (as contrasted to some of the other amnesia claims on UM over the years). However, the reason she lost her memory in the first place, the identity of the guy who dropped her off, and her whereabouts and progress today are the mysteries.

Unfortunately, since all of the theories that explain the loss of her memory involve potential negligence and/or criminal activity, it seems unlikely the case will be solved, if anyone is even trying anymore.

WishfulDreamer
08-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I really hope Kyra got her memory back, at least most of it, and is living a good life today.

I always found the mystery man to be quite strange. I think it's unlikely he's the perp though. That is a real risk to go to the police station with the girl you just attacked and now claims she doesn't remember anything. How would he know she was actually telling the truth and wasn't going to remember long-term? I think he just happened to stumble upon her and didn't want to get into any trouble.

I think the robbery motive in the segment is likely here. One quick hit across the head and taking her purse. I don't know if the mistaken identity theory holds out because would the guy have taken the wallet? I do really want to know about the lookalike and any motive for that attack, though.

justins5256
08-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I think the robbery motive in the segment is likely here. One quick hit across the head and taking her purse. I don't know if the mistaken identity theory holds out because would the guy have taken the wallet? I do really want to know about the lookalike and any motive for that attack, though.

Interestingly, the one article I did find about the case matter of factly says it was a mugging. It doesn't mention the other theories.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19861207&id=UvBVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V-EDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6996,1687780

I wonder if UM played up the other angles to make the case seem more "mysterious."

Also, to play devil's advocate, if it was a case of "mistaken identity" the perp could have still taken her wallet and.or purse. I mean, he's obviously gone so far as to hit her and knock her out. There is almost no point in NOT stealing her belongings too. Just a thought.

WishfulDreamer
08-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Also, to play devil's advocate, if it was a case of "mistaken identity" the perp could have still taken her wallet and.or purse. I mean, he's obviously gone so far as to hit her and knock her out. There is almost no point in NOT stealing her belongings too. Just a thought.
That is a good point.

Thanks for the article. Now I really want to know if her memory has been jogged in the past 25+ years. It'd be cool if she posted on here.

justins5256
08-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Here is the park where the incident may have happened...

http://www.mylongview.com/index.aspx?page=570

justins5256
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Okay, I found what I am pretty sure is an email address for Kyra Cook's mom in a publicly accessible place. I don't want to e-mail her myself. However, I think we all collectively care about Kyra, and would be curious to know how she is doing today. So, if anyone wants to try contacting her mother, Gloria, PM me and I'll send the address.

RobinW
08-06-2014, 04:15 PM

I always had a hunch that maybe the guy was willing to help the poor girl out, but just had his own completely unrelated reasons for not wanting to be questioned by the police (i.e. maybe he had an outstanding warrant on him for something else).

MegtheEgg86
08-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I always had a hunch that maybe the guy was willing to help the poor girl out, but just had his own completely unrelated reasons for not wanting to be questioned by the police (i.e. maybe he had an outstanding warrant on him for something else).

I always thought that's what it might have been, too.

TheCars1986
08-07-2014, 09:14 AM

It really could be something as simple as the guy not wanting to be bogged down with an interrogation or investigation into him as a suspect in the attack. But it's still bizarre to me the way he was leaning on the car almost like he was waiting for her. If he was an innocent bystander, why wouldn't he have approached her and asked if everything was alright? That part of the story doesn't make sense to me. When first seeing it, I have to admit the first thought that came into my mind was "the original Sarah Powell". But the segment made no mention or hints of trouble at home, nor any reason as to why Kyra would go through such lengths to cover anything up. The only thing that I could think of (if Kyra was making it up) would be embarrassment for losing her purse, or something along those lines. It seems highly unlikely, and it doesn't explain the bruise on her head, but that thought did cross my mind. The other thought was a drug deal gone bad, despite any evidence of this in the segment. They were the only two "viable" scenarios were I could see why Kyra would make the whole amnesia episode up. The man could have been someone involved in the drug deal who felt bad and decided to give her a lift, and this would also give him a reason for not sticking around after dropping her off.

But that doesn't explain the "other blonde girl" repeatedly attacked in the same park. That makes the attack theory more likely. I haven't seen the segment in a long time, but did the man who gave her a ride ever ask her if she was alright or say anything to her at all?

justins5256
08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
It really could be something as simple as the guy not wanting to be bogged down with an interrogation or investigation into him as a suspect in the attack. But it's still bizarre to me the way he was leaning on the car almost like he was waiting for her. If he was an innocent bystander, why wouldn't he have approached her and asked if everything was alright? That part of the story doesn't make sense to me. When first seeing it, I have to admit the first thought that came into my mind was "the original Sarah Powell". But the segment made no mention or hints of trouble at home, nor any reason as to why Kyra would go through such lengths to cover anything up. The only thing that I could think of (if Kyra was making it up) would be embarrassment for losing her purse, or something along those lines. It seems highly unlikely, and it doesn't explain the bruise on her head, but that thought did cross my mind. The other thought was a drug deal gone bad, despite any evidence of this in the segment. They were the only two "viable" scenarios were I could see why Kyra would make the whole amnesia episode up. The man could have been someone involved in the drug deal who felt bad and decided to give her a lift, and this would also give him a reason for not sticking around after dropping her off.

I have to give you props. In all the years, it never once entered my mind that Kyra herself could have been involved in something shady that led to all of this. However, with there being no real answer, I suppose it can't be ruled out. Maybe something like a drug deal, or an illicit rendezvous, IDK. The problem is it's virtually impossible to speculate with a high degree of certainty given how little we know about Kyra's background before and after this incident. I can't even remember if the segment stated whether she was in high school or college. It was stated that Kyra had a "wild side" before the incident. Whatever that means...

But that doesn't explain the "other blonde girl" repeatedly attacked in the same park. That makes the attack theory more likely.

Hard to say. The segment is, again, extremely vague here and says something along the lines of a girl who looked like Kyra had been assaulted by a "strange man" on three separate occasions.

Even the way this is explained is just bizarre to me. There was no detail given about who this girl was, or why these attacks were occurring. The same girl being assaulted three separate times almost sounds like a stalking/harassment type deal where the victim knows or had some prior interaction with the perp. Or, the victim is fabricating because after being assaulted that many times, the best description she can come up with is a "strange man."

justins5256
08-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I haven't seen the segment in a long time, but did the man who gave her a ride ever ask her if she was alright or say anything to her at all?

I just reviewed it. Malden said that Kyra saw the man leaning up against his car, approached him, and asked for help. She said the man offered to take her to the nearest police station. Nothing was said about conversation in the car other than the guy never identified himself.

TheCars1986
08-08-2014, 09:42 AM
It was stated that Kyra had a "wild side" before the incident. Whatever that means...

That's exactly why I thought about the botched drug deal.

Hard to say. The segment is, again, extremely vague here and says something along the lines of a girl who looked like Kyra had been assaulted by a "strange man" on three separate occasions.

Very vague indeed.

Even the way this is explained is just bizarre to me. There was no detail given about who this girl was, or why these attacks were occurring. The same girl being assaulted three separate times almost sounds like a stalking/harassment type deal where the victim knows or had some prior interaction with the perp. Or, the victim is fabricating because after being assaulted that many times, the best description she can come up with is a "strange man."

That's kind of what's frustrating about the segment. They give a little nugget of information and then don't expand on it whatsoever. Unless of course the attacks were ruled out as unrelated by authorities, but UM decided to keep it in to play up more mystery in the case. I wish I could have seen the Malden hosted segment.

justins5256
08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
That's exactly why I thought about the botched drug deal.

The "wild side" detail was mentioned to contrast how markedly Kyra's personality had changed before and after the incident. Within that context, it was explained that post-incident Kyra was more quiet, thoughtful, and considerate. The supposition being that these personality changes were brought about by amnesia.

Truthfully, I never really thought about her "wild side" outside of that context. However, if you are looking at this from the perspective of either deliberate fabrication and/or coverup of illicit activities, it could certainly fit too. Possibly whatever negative consequences befell her as a result of those actions (injured during a botched drug deal, for example) could also trigger such personality changes, especially when coupled with a real injury. Unfortunately, at this juncture, I doubt we'll ever know.

On that note, I did notice Malden mentioned that the items stolen were a "brown paper sack" filled with Kyra's spending money for the day and her makeup. The re-enactment shows this too. A brown paper sack? I hate to focus on minutia, but isn't that kind of strange? Don't most young women her age carry a purse?

Very vague indeed.

That's kind of what's frustrating about the segment. They give a little nugget of information and then don't expand on it whatsoever. Unless of course the attacks were ruled out as unrelated by authorities, but UM decided to keep it in to play up more mystery in the case. I wish I could have seen the Malden hosted segment.

And therein lies the rub.

I also don't think it helped matters that Kyra's case was originally broadcast during "special 2" the second ever Unsolved Mysteries special in 1987 before the series was picked up with Stack.

As cool as the specials were, it was obvious they were still experimenting with the format.

TheCars1986
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
The "wild side" detail was mentioned to contrast how markedly Kyra's personality had changed before and after the incident. Within that context, it was explained that post-incident Kyra was more quiet, thoughtful, and considerate. The supposition being that these personality changes were brought about by amnesia.

I've only seen the segment one time, but I also remember them saying Kyra was a lot more irritable and short tempered than she was before.

On that note, I did notice Malden mentioned that the items stolen were a "brown paper sack" filled with Kyra's spending money for the day and her makeup. The re-enactment shows this too. A brown paper sack? I hate to focus on minutia, but isn't that kind of strange? Don't most young women her age carry a purse?

Yes. I noticed that too and thought it was extremely odd to carry around money in a brown paper bag. That was another little detail I had forgot about that made me think about the drug scenario. You see, when I saw the segment, it was on the Farina episodes. So I was well aware of the previous "amnesia" cases that turned out to be nothing more than complete fabrications based on attention seeking, or based off of fleeing from the law. So when I saw it, I watched with some skepticism, because I didn't think (besides maybe "Pierre") there were any real amnesia cases featured on UM. So I noted these little details and tried to think of a logical explanation for her to make up the amnesia bit. Although it does stretch incredulity, since Kyra would have had to have acted as if she forgot everything including her family, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a young teenager to do. If she was involved in something illegal or shady, she may have made it all up out of fear of getting in trouble with her parents.

justins5256
08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
I've only seen the segment one time, but I also remember them saying Kyra was a lot more irritable and short tempered than she was before.

Yes, I remember that too. Again though, this could go either way. If she truly did have amnesia, I could see it being frustrating, to say the least.

Yes. I noticed that too and thought it was extremely odd to carry around money in a brown paper bag. That was another little detail I had forgot about that made me think about the drug scenario. You see, when I saw the segment, it was on the Farina episodes. So I was well aware of the previous "amnesia" cases that turned out to be nothing more than complete fabrications based on attention seeking, or based off of fleeing from the law. So when I saw it, I watched with some skepticism, because I didn't think (besides maybe "Pierre") there were any real amnesia cases featured on UM. So I noted these little details and tried to think of a logical explanation for her to make up the amnesia bit. Although it does stretch incredulity, since Kyra would have had to have acted as if she forgot everything including her family, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a young teenager to do. If she was involved in something illegal or shady, she may have made it all up out of fear of getting in trouble with her parents.

I first saw the episode in 2004. Admittedly, I knew of the other (fraudulent) amnesia cases, but I never really thought about the possibility of this being one of them. I don't know why. I guess I just took the presentation at face value. Offhand, I don't believe fabrication is hinted at in the segment.

On that note, there is an interview with a doctor who said he did not think Kyra was fabricating the amnesia, and he was impressed with her continued attempts to try to remember and think up possible ways that her memory might be jogged. Couple that with the documented head injury, and I think she has a decent case. I don't recall the other charlatans having as much by way of support, but I could be wrong.

At this point, I have to say I'm on the fence. There are certainly signs that she endured some kind of physical trauma. However, there are some hinky circumstances that suggest she may have had a hand in whatever occurred.

Fascinating...I am appreciative of this discussion because it is a rare thing indeed that someone is able to make me reconsider my opinion on a case so drastically, especially one as old, and as seemingly cut and dry, as this. Thank you! :wave:

I certainly hope some others chime in with their thoughts on these revelations.

TheCars1986
08-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes, I remember that too. Again though, this could go either way. If she truly did have amnesia, I could see it being frustrating, to say the least.

Yeah, I agree. But then again, we have nothing to go on after the UM segment and that lone newspaper article about Kyra. For all we know she could have come clean to her family since the incident. Do you remember if there were any law enforcement personnel interviewed for the segment? If so, what did they say?

I first saw the episode in 2004. Admittedly, I knew of the other (fraudulent) amnesia cases, but I never really thought about the possibility of this being one of them. I don't know why. I guess I just took the presentation at face value. Offhand, I don't believe fabrication is hinted at in the segment.

No, from what I remember there weren't any hints of fabrication in the segment (at least on the Farina version). I just got somewhat suspicious with some of the details. But I've always been highly skeptical of any amnesia case. You would think there would be an abundance of them featured on UM that didn't involve sketchy circumstances (people running from the law, teenagers seeking attention, etc.) if they were fairly prevalent.

On that note, there is an interview with a doctor who said he did not think Kyra was fabricating the amnesia, and he was impressed with her continued attempts to try to remember and think up possible ways that her memory might be jogged. Couple that with the documented head injury, and I think she has a decent case. I don't recall the other charlatans having as much by way of support, but I could be wrong.

But didn't the doctor say that he couldn't find anything neurologically wrong with Kyra as well? A quick wikipedia search about amnesia says that amnesia caused by trauma to the brain (such as a head injury) would cause either a loss of memory of what had happened prior to the injury (think quarterback in football after a concussion), loss of memories shortly before the attack, or an inability to retain new memories. There is no mention of a complete lack of memory before the trauma occurred. There is also a severity chart dedicated to post-traumatic amnesia, which states that a person exhibiting symptoms of 12 or more weeks (Kyra would fit this considering the newspaper article posted says it was 3 months since the attack) would have an "injury [that] is very severe and accompanied by significant disabilities that will require long-term rehabilitation and management. The patient is unlikely to to able to return to work." To me, that doesn't sound like Kyra. Now there was another example on wiki that said when someone is in a car accident, they experience a whiplash sensation, and are sometimes unable to recall the events leading up to the accident or even the accident itself. In almost all cases, it is a very minor memory loss when involving some sort of trauma to the head (even with a loss of consciousness). Again, it seems unlikely that, due in large part to there being nothing neurologically wrong with Kyra, she would have suffered amnesia with such severity that she wouldn't be able to remember any member of her family, or anything prior to the attack.

At this point, I have to say I'm on the fence. There are certainly signs that she endured some kind of physical trauma. However, there are some hinky circumstances that suggest she may have had a hand in whatever occurred.

Here's what we do know that's definitive:

-Kyra was found in a park, apparently dazed and disoriented.
-A man seen leaning on a car approached her and asked if she needed help, and then drove her to a police station before leaving.
-Kyra was hospitalized as a result of the attack.
-Kyra suffered some blunt trauma to her head.

Now for the shady side of the segment:

-Kyra was in a park in her hometown, but there is (IIRC) no explanation offered as to why she would have ever been there in the first place.
-Kyra did not have a purse on her. She carried a brown paper sack/bag that contained "spending" money. Very odd for an 18 year old girl to not have a purse, but then again I'm a guy so I might not be the best expert on purses.
-Kyra claims total amnesia after one knock on the head despite a doctor saying she suffered no neurological damage.
-The newspaper article makes no mention of any suspects, nor a search for any suspects. They don't even mention the man who gave Kyra a ride to the police station. This could be nothing, or it could be me over analyzing here BUT the newspaper article was written three months since Kyra's attack, and you would think that if the police really did believe she was assaulted and robbed (or mugged as the article put it), they would have asked anyone with information to come forward. Or even appealed to the man who gave her a ride to the station. The article was more of a how Kyra is adjusting to life without her memory as opposed to finding the perps who allegedly did this to her. That strikes me as odd.

Fascinating...I am appreciative of this discussion because it is a rare thing indeed that someone is able to make me reconsider my opinion on a case so drastically, especially one as old, and as seemingly cut and dry, as this. Thank you! :wave:

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not 100% sold on the theory that she was involved in something shady (or even less shady as losing her spending money and being too embarrassed to admit it). But I've never been big on the theory that people lose EVERY single aspect of their memories prior to an incident either.

WishfulDreamer
08-08-2014, 03:37 PM

-Kyra was in a park in her hometown, but there is (IIRC) no explanation offered as to why she would have ever been there in the first place.

Just watched it again last night. The segment says she was mailing a letter at the post office to a German penpal and then presumably cut through the park while returning. This was common for her.

-Kyra did not have a purse on her. She carried a brown paper sack/bag that contained "spending" money. Very odd for an 18 year old girl to not have a purse, but then again I'm a guy so I might not be the best expert on purses.
This really depends on the woman. I'm female and I didn't start carrying a purse regularly until I was around that age. This is before everyone had cell phones, of course, so I don't think it's a big stretch that a girl would use her pockets or some sack if all she has is some spending money and keys. I do find it weird that she would use a paper sack, though. I can't imagine that's common.

-Kyra claims total amnesia after one knock on the head despite a doctor saying she suffered no neurological damage.
This is strange. You would think that there would be sufficient evidence of damage if she was really hit that hard.

-The newspaper article makes no mention of any suspects, nor a search for any suspects. They don't even mention the man who gave Kyra a ride to the police station. This could be nothing, or it could be me over analyzing here BUT the newspaper article was written three months since Kyra's attack, and you would think that if the police really did believe she was assaulted and robbed (or mugged as the article put it), they would have asked anyone with information to come forward. Or even appealed to the man who gave her a ride to the station. The article was more of a how Kyra is adjusting to life without her memory as opposed to finding the perps who allegedly did this to her. That strikes me as odd.

I find it odd, too. You would think they would at least want to try to find a suspect or at the very least the man who assaulted the same girl three times in a row as a possible link.

justins5256
08-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I agree. But then again, we have nothing to go on after the UM segment and that lone newspaper article about Kyra. For all we know she could have come clean to her family since the incident. Do you remember if there were any law enforcement personnel interviewed for the segment? If so, what did they say?

Yes, there was an interview with the deputy who first encountered Kyra after she was dropped off at the police station. He took her to the hospital and was instrumental in getting the case publicized in the local papers which led to her identification, as she was initially admitted to the hospital as a Jane Doe. Her parents came forward the following day.

He also explains his theory about the case. Apparently, the area near the park where Kyra was found has a 25 mile per hour speed limit, yet people drive faster than that. The deputy said on UM that he thinks she was either hit by a car or was trying to dodge a car and fell and hit her head.

Then, the segment cuts to Kyra's mother explaining her theory that Kyra was grabbed by someone in the park, attempted to fight this person off, and was struck in the back of the head by a fist.

Malden then mentions the sack being gone, as well as the third possible "mistaken identity" theory.

No, from what I remember there weren't any hints of fabrication in the segment (at least on the Farina version). I just got somewhat suspicious with some of the details. But I've always been highly skeptical of any amnesia case. You would think there would be an abundance of them featured on UM that didn't involve sketchy circumstances (people running from the law, teenagers seeking attention, etc.) if they were fairly prevalent.

That's the thing though. It isn't that prevalent. Malden said 1 in 5 million experience amnesia.

But didn't the doctor say that he couldn't find anything neurologically wrong with Kyra as well? A quick wikipedia search about amnesia says that amnesia caused by trauma to the brain (such as a head injury) would cause either a loss of memory of what had happened prior to the injury (think quarterback in football after a concussion), loss of memories shortly before the attack, or an inability to retain new memories. There is no mention of a complete lack of memory before the trauma occurred. There is also a severity chart dedicated to post-traumatic amnesia, which states that a person exhibiting symptoms of 12 or more weeks (Kyra would fit this considering the newspaper article posted says it was 3 months since the attack) would have an "injury [that] is very severe and accompanied by significant disabilities that will require long-term rehabilitation and management. The patient is unlikely to to able to return to work." To me, that doesn't sound like Kyra. Now there was another example on wiki that said when someone is in a car accident, they experience a whiplash sensation, and are sometimes unable to recall the events leading up to the accident or even the accident itself. In almost all cases, it is a very minor memory loss when involving some sort of trauma to the head (even with a loss of consciousness). Again, it seems unlikely that, due in large part to there being nothing neurologically wrong with Kyra, she would have suffered amnesia with such severity that she wouldn't be able to remember any member of her family, or anything prior to the attack.

The doctor in the segment didn't comment on evidence of neurological problems (aside from her obvious failed recall). He did say that they found a lump on the back of her head that was consistent with her being hit by an object, or a fall.

Moreover, it would seem Kyra's amnesia was not total. According to the segment, she retained her ability to do algebra, and to speak German, and to paint. It appears that she had no recall of her past, family, or her own identity prior to the attack, or the attack itself. That would be consistent with retrograde amnesia (as DarkDante pointed out in a much earlier post). Here is the wiki article on retrograde amnesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrograde_amnesia

In reading through it, here are some passages that sound like Kyra and could be consistent with her symptoms...

"As previously mentioned, RA commonly results from damage to the brain regions most closely associated with episodic and declarative memory, including autobiographical information. In extreme cases, individuals may completely forget who they are. Generally, this is a more severe type of amnesia known as global or generalized amnesia.[11] However, memory loss can also be selective or categorical, manifested by a person's inability to remember events related to a specific incident or topic."

"Focal RA in particular, has also been used to describe a RA situation in which there is a lack of observable physical deficit as well.[13] This could be described as a psychogenic form of amnesia with mild anterograde and retrograde loss.[1] A case study of DH revealed that the patient was unable to provide personal or public information, however there was no parahippocampal or entorhinal damage found.[1] Individuals with focal brain damage have minimal RA.[14]"

Obviously, I'm no doctor, but what I take from this is that it is possible to have what may appear to be selective memory loss and also minimal, to no, brain damage. Also, I didn't quote it, as it is repeated throughout the article, but head injuries are a source of retrograde amnesia.

Here's what we do know that's definitive:

-Kyra was found in a park, apparently dazed and disoriented.
-A man seen leaning on a car approached her and asked if she needed help, and then drove her to a police station before leaving.
-Kyra was hospitalized as a result of the attack.
-Kyra suffered some blunt trauma to her head.

Apparently Kyra went to a post office to mail a package to a German penpal. Her mom speculated that after leaving the post office, Kyra took a short cut through the park (I don't recall where her intended destination was). Assuming this is true, it is an innocent enough explanation, IMO.

Although, public parks are some times known for criminal activities, such as vagrancy, public drinking and drug use, vandalism, illicit sexual activity, etc. For what it's worth, I did find some articles online about this specific park and the city's efforts to clean up the drinking and drug use that was going on there, but this was in the late 90s. No clue about how it would have been in 1986.

Also, to be fair, I should mention that parks are also good places for predatory crimes of opportunity such as muggings or sexual assaults, as is being alleged here.

Agreed. Though I am going to add the same caveat. I am a guy and have no knowledge of purses, though my wife's knowledge on the subject is extensive. Maybe I should ask her to watch the segment and report back.

He didn't say one way or another in the segment. Also, if the wikki stuff is to be believed, it is possible that she wouldn't have detectable damage anyway.

On Unsolved Mysteries, a newspaper article is shown onscreen that says "Girl doesn't know her name and age" written by Bud May of the Longview Daily News. I tried, to no avail, to track down this, or other, articles about the case using Kyra's name, and different variations. I found nothing. However, Malden mentions in the segment that there were repeated appeals in the local press to find witnesses or to identify the mystery driver who dropped Kyra off at the police station. Personally, I don't doubt this. I can only conclude that those newspapers aren't online or easily accessible.

TheCars1986
08-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Yes, there was an interview with the deputy who first encountered Kyra after she was dropped off at the police station. He took her to the hospital and was instrumental in getting the case publicized in the local papers which led to her identification, as she was initially admitted to the hospital as a Jane Doe. Her parents came forward the following day.

Ok I'm watching the Malden hosted episode as I reply to this. Apparently, the guy leaning on the car was the first person Kyra saw. In the segment it seems like he's just leaning looking in another direction when she approaches and asks for help. I was under the impression that the man was just sitting there seemingly waiting for her. The segment also mentions he dropped her off a block away from the police station, and that Kyra had said he was an "older man". The first logical reason I could think of as to why the man didn't help her into the police station was the mentality that a lot of people have adopted today: "I don't want to get involved with other people's problems." Perhaps he thought she was on drugs, or maybe he thought she was a runaway, or maybe he even thought she was in the middle of a spat with her boyfriend and simply thought dropping her off would be enough.

He also explains his theory about the case. Apparently, the area near the park where Kyra was found has a 25 mile per hour speed limit, yet people drive faster than that. The deputy said on UM that he thinks she was either hit by a car or was trying to dodge a car and fell and hit her head.

Seems highly unlikely. Because she says herself in the segment that her first memory was awaking in a grassy area and then feeling the pain in her head. I don't see how she would have dodged or got hit by a car and would up in a grassy area in the park.

Then, the segment cuts to Kyra's mother explaining her theory that Kyra was grabbed by someone in the park, attempted to fight this person off, and was struck in the back of the head by a fist.

This seems much more likely to me.

That's the thing though. It isn't that prevalent. Malden said 1 in 5 million experience amnesia.

Prevalent was the wrong word usage. I had meant that if there were more legitimate amnesia stories, you would think UM would have had more that didn't end up with the person being wanted, or a person who had a reason to fake amnesia.

The doctor in the segment didn't comment on evidence of neurological problems (aside from her obvious failed recall). He did say that they found a lump on the back of her head that was consistent with her being hit by an object, or a fall.

That was in the newspaper article. A doctor says he found no neurological damage to her.

Obviously, I'm no doctor, but what I take from this is that it is possible to have what may appear to be selective memory loss and also minimal, to no, brain damage. Also, I didn't quote it, as it is repeated throughout the article, but head injuries are a source of retrograde amnesia.

Yes, but the wiki page also says that if a person didn't regain their memory or show signs of improvement by 12 or more weeks, that person would probably never be able to function in society or hold down a job. The way the mind works is indeed a mystery, and I'm no expert either, but it does seem like the odds would be near astronomical for someone to have been hit on the head to where they totally forgot everything about their past, including their own identity and their family.

Apparently Kyra went to a post office to mail a package to a German penpal. Her mom speculated that after leaving the post office, Kyra took a short cut through the park (I don't recall where her intended destination was). Assuming this is true, it is an innocent enough explanation, IMO.

Fair enough. The segment mentions there is a 45 minute time lapse where her actions cannot be accounted for. The segment also says the other girl was "allegedly" attacked in the same park. Whatever that means. 45 minutes is a long time from leaving the post office to winding up at the park. Plus, broad daylight attacks in a public park seem to be a rare occurrence. Kyra's mother even speculated that the man on the car could have seen something, since he was the "closest to her". Why would the guy casually sit on a car if he just saw a woman get mugged?!

Also, to be fair, I should mention that parks are also good places for predatory crimes of opportunity such as muggings or sexual assaults, as is being alleged here.

True. But, they are also ideal for drug deals. It really could go either way.

Agreed. Though I am going to add the same caveat. I am a guy and have no knowledge of purses, though my wife's knowledge on the subject is extensive. Maybe I should ask her to watch the segment and report back.

My wife would have been in her early teens in the late 80's. Her sister was around Kyra's age at the time of the segment. FWIW, she said that her sister and her friends all had purses at the time, because it was the "cool" thing to do.

Personally, I don't doubt this. I can only conclude that those newspapers aren't online or easily accessible.

You're right. I saw the same thing on the segment and heard Malden mention the public appeals have brought out nothing. But law enforcement seems to believe it was an accident and not a mugging. There has to be more evidence to suggest that there wasn't a mystery mugger lurking in the park that day, or you would think they would have explored that possibility.

TheCars1986
08-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Ok, I rewatched the Malden hosted segment and decided to share some of my thoughts. Granted, since I'm a bit biased when it comes to amnesia cases featured on UM, I had watched with a certain amount of skepticism, and picked up on some red flags/suspicious parts of this story. I will concede that Kyra Cook legitimately did sound irritated and frustrated at the fact that she couldn't recall anything prior to her attack. She sounded genuine, and the segment didn't really present a clear cut motive (or even hint at it) as to why she would be making it up. Anyway, here's a list of things that gave me pause and made me question the validity of the claim of amnesia:

-Malden mentions three possible scenarios with regards to what could have happened to Kyra.

-Scenario 1 was the one thought up by the deputy interviewed in the segment. He thinks that Kyra was either struck by a car or dodged a speeding car which resulted in her injury. There's no way she was struck by a car. There would be corresponding injuries on her body (besides her head injury) to back up the fact that she was struck by a speeding vehicle. There was nothing mentioned in the segment (or the newspaper article we have) that mentions any injuries other than the one to her head. So this can effectively be ruled out. And as I've mentioned previously, the dodging the car theory makes little to no sense since Kyra herself says she woke up in a grassy area, and it took her awhile before she reached the man leaning on his car. Had she dodged a car, she would have been closer to the road. The segment makes it seem like she woke up in the middle of the park.

-Scenario 2 was the mugging theory. While possible, it still seems, IMO, unlikely due to the fact that this was broad daylight and there were alleged to have been witnesses around. I'll touch more on this below.

-Scenario 3 was the mistaken identity scenario. Malden says a woman resembling Kyra was "allegedly" assaulted by a mysterious man in the same park prior to Kyra's amnesia. UM tried to play this up as a possibility because of Scenario 2, the one Kyra's mother theorized. However, after thinking this over, I think this is very, very unlikely. For one, Malden specifically says, "allegedly". In other words, no one besides this woman can verify that she was attacked and that this mystery man actually exists. Think logically for a second. Police respond to a call (or the woman went to the police station herself) of an assault at a public park. The woman gives a general description of the guy, etc. and the cops put it in their case file. Time goes by, and guess what? The same exact woman says the same exact guy attacked her again in the same exact location. This had to have raised some eyebrows within law enforcement, because what exactly are the odds that the same woman in the same place happens to run into her attacker (whom was a stranger to her, implied by UM) and have the same thing happen to her!? But, stranger things have happened, so let's say that the cops actually thought it possible that it occurred a 2nd time. This would mean more attention brought to the case, and a more intensified search into finding out who this man was. Again, time goes by and guess what? A third attack by the same guy on the same woman in the same place! This is where LE probably thought the whole story was ridiculous. Think about it, if these attacks were legit, why on Earth would this woman EVER return to that park again!? Makes zero sense. Not to mention the fact that the odds of three separate attacks by a stranger in the same location (a public place too) are just too far to even seriously consider. That's why I think Malden used the word "allegedly". LE probably didn't take these attacks seriously, or didn't believe the woman.

-The segment mentions Kyra mailing a package/letter to a penpal in Germany around 2:15 that day. UM seems to imply that postal workers remember seeing her (or perhaps there is a record of her dropping the package off) that verify the time. UM next says that Kyra awoke around 3:00 p.m. There's 45 minutes of unaccounted time. Kyra's mother suggests Kyra would have taken a "shortcut" through the park. Meaning the park must have been fairly close to the post office. And since it's believed that Kyra was simply strolling through the park to go back home, she must have been attacked shortly after leaving the post office. What are the odds that Kyra would have been lying in the park knocked out for 30+ minutes without anyone noticing her, or trying to help?

-The segment explicitly states that the man who gave Kyra a ride to the police station dropped her off a half a block away from it. When Kyra arrived at the station, she met the deputy and asked for help. The deputy asked her if she needed to go to the hospital, and Kyra didn't even know what a hospital was. Think logically about this for a sec: she had no idea what a hospital was, but knew exactly where to go for help at the police station!? She was dropped off not at the station, but a "half a block" away. Now if she didn't know what a hospital was, how in the heck would she have known what a police station was, not to mention where exactly it was at after being dropped off?

-We've discussed the paper bag/sack containing her spending money. This is very odd, at least IMO.

-The segment mentions Kyra having a "wild side". I wonder if that included drug use.

-Kyra claims to have zero memory prior to the time she awoke in the park. This could be considered a form of retrograde amnesia. But does anyone else find it odd that the details after she awoke are hazy as well? People who suffer from retrograde amnesia (who can't remember the past, basically) are still able to retain current memories. So why is it that Kyra cannot give a description of the man who gave her a ride, nor a description of his car? The UM segment says that she gave "fuzzy" details about both. Nor can she recall any conversation they had on the way to the police station. I could see being knocked unconscious and losing your past memory. But the moment she woke up, even though she would have probably been frightened at the fact that she couldn't remember anything, her brain should have been working to store the new information she was processing. Her not even being able to come up with a general description of the man is very odd to me.

-The sole law enforcement guy interviewed on the segment seems to think she was struck by a car. Had there been any evidence of a mugger or mysterious assailant, I doubt the guy would subscribe to the ludicrous theory that she dove out of the way of a speeding car and bumped her head and lost virtually all of her memory.

-If Kyra was in fact mugged, the motive would most certainly have been a robbery. There's no mention of a sexual assault at all, nor any evidence to support it. So the motive would have to be a robbery. But what criminal worth their salt is going to rob a woman not carrying a purse, but instead a brown paper bag!? What would have happened if the guy reached into the bag and found a PBJ instead of money? How would this guy even know she had money in the bag in the first place? And why even hit her? Why not just do a "snatch and grab" job? It just doesn't make any sense.

If I think of any more later, I'll add them in. But these are the thoughts that had ran through my mind (the skeptic in me kept bringing this stuff up on my long ride home from work). I did think of another possibility that I never considered before. What if the man leaning on the car didn't exist? Let's say for the time being that Kyra was in fact attacked, but it was because of something shady that she was involved in. This could explain why she couldn't describe the man or his car adequately. Picture this for a second:

Kyra is involved in something shady that results in her getting hit and her bag of money stolen. Initially, she wants to go the police station to report the robbery. However, she soon realizes that the police will eventually want to know why she was in that park, and will investigate the story she's giving further. Freaking out at the prospect of the police finding out the real truth, she decides to act as if she has amnesia. She claims to have no memories prior to waking up. She can't even remember the attack. This works to her advantage more than you would think. No one can prove that she doesn't have amnesia. So, if she acts as if she remembers nothing (including the actual attack), there's no way anyone would ever find out what actually happened in that park, nor would the perp who actually attacked her ever be found (which would be troublesome to her, since the guy would expose the real reason she was in the park). She then invents the story of the man dropping her off, possibly with the hope that her story would be more believable with a "witness", or perhaps to give more credence to the reason as to why she wound up at the police station in the first place (since she claimed amnesia, this could have worked against her if she didn't "invent" the man: the cops would have said, "if you don't remember anything, how'd you remember how to get to the police station for help?"), and also just in case she ran into a police officer on the way in (which she did), the man dropping her off "a half a block away" would also help her story more, since she could simply say, "oh he just drove off", when the cops were asking how she got to the station and who drove her. And after that, the story unfolds up to UM. Not to mention, for all we know, Kyra could have known or read about the alleged attacks in the park prior, and intended to use this as a cover story or a reasoning behind why she was attacked.

Now I know I may seem like I'm stretching it a bit, but when re-thinking everything about this case it just seems like there's too many "convenient" little tidbits to the story. Kyra conveniently can't remember who or what attacked her. She can't remember why she was in the park. She can't remember the man who gave her a ride, nor a description of his vehicle. She can't remember anything prior to the attack, in addition to crucial pieces of information after the attack. She gets dropped off a half a block away from the police station, conveniently giving the guy who dropped her off time to slip away before she came in contact with law enforcement. She doesn't know what a hospital is, but knows what a police station is. She doesn't remember any member of her family, but can still speak German. See where I'm going here? There just seems to be too many little intricate parts about this case that don't fit together, which makes the story less believable to me. Maybe it's just me being too critical of this story, but something just doesn't sit right with me the more I think about it. I will concede though, to Kyra's credit (if she is making it up), she stuck with the total amnesia bit pretty good. Even Sarah Powell eventually came out with tidbits of her "attack" and even gave a description of her "attackers". At least Kyra never even hinted at what caused her injury or her memory loss.

TheCars1986
08-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Sorry to keep replying to the same thread, but I found another more recent case (very similar to Kyra's) where an ex-NFL player, Scott Bolzan, claims to have slipped and fell and hit his head at work, and suffered from total retrograde amnesia. He didn't remember his family, what Christmas was, the internet, etc. but still knew how to play golf and drive a car. But, due to the advances made in neurology and the study of the brain, several neurologists have called his claim into question: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/10/10/update-is-man-with-deleted-memory-just-making-it-up/

These experts say that it seems to "Hollywood" for someone to claim they totally forgot everything. Usually, a person suffering from severe retrograde amnesia would be able to remember something from their past, typically their childhood. They could also recognize family members from pictures, but not remember the date or specifics about it. It's a story that's very similar to Kyra's.