PDA

View Full Version : Patricia Stallings

freshwater
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Remember that case of the woman (Patricia Stallings) sentenced to life in prison (and later released) for allegedly fatally poisoning her child, and it was later determined that he had a disease that essentially poisoned his blood?

The only thing that saved her was having another child while in prison, and that child had the same disease.

I have nothing profound to say about it, other than I wonder how she and her family are doing today.

It was a pretty interesting/bizarre/heartbreaking case.

dynoguy88
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
That was yet another case of blatant police stupidity. The main thing they were able to arrest Patricia for was her son becoming violently ill after a short visit they had while Ryan was temporarily out of his parents custody. During a 5 minute time period, Patricia was left alone with Ryan. But amazingly, Ryan didn't become that ill until a full 72 hours AFTER that visit.

What kind of poision can enter your system but take 3 whole days before it makes you sick and eventually kill you? Does such a substance even exist? :rolleyes:

The Flying Dutchmans
04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I think a TV movie was done on this story, and she had a 2nd son and he had the same problem the first son had that killed him, and they discovered this while she was in prison, I believe she had a total moron for an attorney, well the actor who played charles in mash, david ogden stiers played her 2nd attorney who was very smart and got her freed from prison. as I recall she didnt trust her 2nd attorney because she thought he would railroad her like the 1st one did and it took some time for the 2nd lawyer to gain her trust but he did. it was a very good movie.

leafygreens
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
That was yet another case of blatant police stupidity.

Sounds like part of that Child Abuse Witch Hunt that went on in the early 90's.

WeaverCarterFan
04-27-2007, 05:58 PM
I always had a feeling that this movie I've seen was based on this case and I'm pretty sure it is. It's a really good movie it's called Falsely Accused it was just on Lifetime Movie Network (I believe) a few days ago. If anyone hasn't seen it they should.

sdb4884
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Unbelivable police and attorney stupidity that sadly happens to people a lot and lucky UM are there to save the day.

mattc
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
that's the amazing thing about this case: If I recall, were it not for UM profiling this story, and several doctors watching the program, and then coming forward, she would probably still be in prison.

Isn't it scary to think that a fluke was basically the only thing that kept her from being deemed a child killer? Haunting.

Mystery Man
05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
First UM segment I saw. :) Always thought she was innocent.

Clockworkhigh
05-05-2010, 10:25 PM
At least on the surface, it seemed like her and her husband put the bitterness aside towards the police and were just happy to be a family again. What a story they will be able to tell their kid(s) someday though. Amazing incompetence though by the police, how can that happen?

SageSlowdive
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
This case was OUTRAGEOUS!

Probably gets my vote as the worst police blunders ever profiled on UM - next to the Eileen Mangold case, of course.

mah79
11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I seem to recall seeing an MSNBC news documentary on the Stallings case, sometime earlier this year. Sadly, it said that David and Patty Stallings divorced, that the trauma of Ryan's death and then Patty's sentencing was just too much. My heart really went out to them, with all that they endured. The MSNBC special also interviewed the arrogant DA, and it said that he retired. My blood boils thinking of how he could send an innocent mother to jail and just break up a family like that. As i watch the Stallings case I cannot even begin to imagine the pain that Patty must have gone through, to lose her baby to a devastating disease, and to have almost been sent to prison for the rest of her life, for a crime she never committed.
On a side note, has there every been any update on David Jr? He would be almost 20 years old today. (Ryan would have turned 20 last year.)

TheCars1986
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Isn't it sad that it seems like when law enforcement gets ahold of a suspect, they zero in on said suspect and do not follow up any other leads? And if that person is convicted they sure as hell don't seem like they want to admit they were wrong so they keep that innocent person locked away. Very sad. Patricia is a prime example of this.

Guardian
11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
The only thing I would have to add here is that if you put yourselves in the police's shoes, the doctors are telling you that the kid was poisoned. The kid is taken away from the family and appears to get better. Then a couple days after a visit with the mother, the kid gets sick again. So the doctors keep insisting that the kid was poisoned.

It's very sad of course, but what would you do as a cop on the case? Based on the info they had, they probably felt they were doing the right thing to protect the kid. While there are indeed cases where the police screw up big time (they are human too after all) I don't think anyone can say for sure that they would be comfortable just letting the kid go with the parents.

What if they had and the kid actually had been poisoned? Then everyone on the board would be debating on why the police didn't take the kid away after the first incident.

As I said, the case is very sad. Heartbreaking even. But you gotta give the police some breathing room. I am sure they weren't sitting in there offices and planning how to break up this family and falsely accuse someone of murder. They were doing what they thought was right based on the information they had.

If nothing else, perhaps this case helped to raise some awareness in the medical community on this illness so that this will not happen again.

rhzunam
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
This case is really weird because when I was little I saw that TV movie in a spanish tv station and always remembered the case eventhough I never watch those types of movies. Years and years later and I see the case again on UM for the first time.

This has to be one of the stupidest things the police have ever done. And you know why it is stupid guardian? Because in the interview UM does, they already learned that the 2nd kid had a extremely rare genetic disease that had very similiar symptoms to those that happened when the 1st kid died. And yet when they asked the DA on the UM show about that he said "It wasn't relevant". You mean to tell me the 2nd child of a couple having an extremely rare genetic disease isn't relevant when investigating the death of the 1st child of the couple? Seriously? ". I could agree about the case at first seeming like it was poison but once the 2nd kid had been diagnosed, it definitely should have been cleared and it MUST CERTAINLY be relevant. Instead they had to have all those doctors appear after UM for them to consider how that information could be relevant for the case:rolleyes:

TheCars1986
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I was just saying that in some cases, as soon as police have a suspect that they feel is responsible they will not consider any other possible suspects or explanations. And if they get a conviction especially, they would have to publically admit that not only were they, law enforcement wrong but also the entire judicial process. And that's a hard pill to swallow sometimes to publically come out and admit that an innocent person has been wrongfully jailed. Which is kind of what happened with Patricia, IMO.

dks64
11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
The only thing I would have to add here is that if you put yourselves in the police's shoes, the doctors are telling you that the kid was poisoned. The kid is taken away from the family and appears to get better. Then a couple days after a visit with the mother, the kid gets sick again. So the doctors keep insisting that the kid was poisoned.

It's very sad of course, but what would you do as a cop on the case? Based on the info they had, they probably felt they were doing the right thing to protect the kid. While there are indeed cases where the police screw up big time (they are human too after all) I don't think anyone can say for sure that they would be comfortable just letting the kid go with the parents.

What if they had and the kid actually had been poisoned? Then everyone on the board would be debating on why the police didn't take the kid away after the first incident.

As I said, the case is very sad. Heartbreaking even. But you gotta give the police some breathing room. I am sure they weren't sitting in there offices and planning how to break up this family and falsely accuse someone of murder. They were doing what they thought was right based on the information they had.

If nothing else, perhaps this case helped to raise some awareness in the medical community on this illness so that this will not happen again.

That's how I see it too. Very sad for the Mother and baby, but the police are human and acted with the information they had.

ETA: I'm watching episodes I have saved on my DVR and this case came on. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it VERY well.