PDA

View Full Version : The Liebling

AVERMAN
04-20-2007, 11:31 PM
In August 1986, Red Dixon arrived to pick up his 3 sons to go on a fishing trip with him. The crew consisted of Red, Mike Gergen (excuse the spelling) an experienced crewman, and Red's 3 sons, 18 year old Rusty, 14 year old Jason, and 6 year old Caleb.

The boat left at dawn and headed north from Oregon along with 2 other boats. The sea was calm. On the morning of 27th August, the Liebling disappeared. By 10:00am, a coastguard was sent out to search for the boat but was never found.

UM ran through several theories. One theory is that Red took his kids to Colombia, where he was starting a new family. However this theory is ruled out by people who say that if this was the case, they wouldn't have taken Mike Gergen along with them. However it is possible that they could have thrown him overboard or just killed him.

Another theory is that the boat hit a tugboat, however no debris was ever found.

In September 1987, A shrimp boat's net got lodged onto something that was 700 feet in the ocean. The captain was certain that the object wasn't there prior to the Lieblings disappearance. A month later, they returned to the site with a video camera. The cast the net out and retrieved another shrimp net believed to be identical to the one that was on the Liebling. The icy, turbulent waters of the North Pacific prevented a thorough search of the ocean floor.

I believe that the ship has sunk, and that the shrimping boat did run into the Liebling at the bottom of the ocean.

Any updates?

crystaldawn
04-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Any updates?

I sent a copy of this segment a few years ago to a woman who had been friends with Red's sons and she told me they were still missing.

DarkDante
04-21-2007, 10:06 AM
The springer spaniel did it :p

Just watched this one last night and that shrimp boat just sunk plain and simple. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps Red Dixon might have been using the boat to run a shipment of drugs, possibly from Columbia to the United States and that could have caused the disapperance of Red and his sons, but there is no evidence that he was involved in anything like that so thats speculation at best. I think far and away the most logical explanation is the boat sunk.

Babydollz24
04-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I was just going to ask if there had been any upates to this case! Hey guys, it has been a while since I last posted, but my time has been extremely occupied. i became a mommy for the first time on Janury fourth. i had a baby girl and she keeps me on the run! Anyway, what I find extremely cute is that when i watch Unsolved Mysteries, my daughter seems to love the music. As soon as she hears the theme song she turns her little head towards the tv and seems to watch ( dead serious). My boyfriend notices this too. Maybe she just likes the lights of the television! Anyways it is great to be back!:wave: :wave:

AVERMAN
04-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I was just going to ask if there had been any upates to this case! Hey guys, it has been a while since I last posted, but my time has been extremely occupied. i became a mommy for the first time on Janury fourth. i had a baby girl and she keeps me on the run! Anyway, what I find extremely cute is that when i watch Unsolved Mysteries, my daughter seems to love the music. As soon as she hears the theme song she turns her little head towards the tv and seems to watch ( dead serious). My boyfriend notices this too. Maybe she just likes the lights of the television! Anyways it is great to be back!:wave: :wave:

Hehe that is so cute :)

SP4CE INV4DERZ
04-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Well.. Robert Stack was a bit of a hit with the ladies and he sure looked very good for his age.

AVERMAN
04-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Well.. Robert Stack was a bit of a hit with the ladies and he sure looked very good for his age.

Imagine Robert Stack doing a bit of sweet talking to his lady with that eerie voice of his.

The Third Man
04-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Imagine Robert Stack doing a bit of sweet talking to his lady with that eerie voice of his. Perhaps someone's going to bed with me tonight. Perhaps...it's you. :lol:

AVERMAN
04-22-2007, 01:07 PM
If you, are looking for some loving tonight, Please call toll free ######## or contact your local law inforcement agency, and ask for Big Robbie, and then perhaps you, could help me solve the mystery, of whats up that skirt of yours. :) When we return, an update on last nights unexplained circumstances which led to my date abandoning me at the bar, and abducting my wallet.

Anyways, back to the topic, I think the Megadeth guy has something to do with it.

Babydollz24
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Perhaps someone's going to bed with me tonight. Perhaps...it's you. :lol:

LOL!! When I read this post, I was laughing my butt off! Thats funny stuff! Yeah maybe my daughter has a crush on Robert Stack... she does tend to favor male voices, particularly low deep ones. Anyway, i do wonder what happened to that man and his sons, as well as the other dude that was with them. It is just so weird how people seem to dissapear off the face of the planet. It is also plain CREEPY. :confused:

crystaldawn
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
LOL!! When I read this post, I was laughing my butt off! Thats funny stuff! Yeah maybe my daughter has a crush on Robert Stack... she does tend to favor male voices, particularly low deep ones. Anyway, i do wonder what happened to that man and his sons, as well as the other dude that was with them. It is just so weird how people seem to dissapear off the face of the planet. It is also plain CREEPY. :confused:

Yes RS does have a way with the ladies. My six year old was watching a few minutes of UM with me a while back and out of the blue said "I think Robert Stack is handsome". :)

You know a little off topic but one of my girls when they were babies felt the same way as your baby does about the UM theme but with the Brady Bunch theme song. She would be in her playpen and whenever BB would start she would stop whatever she was doing and stand up and watch the entire song and not move a muscle. :lol:

Babydollz24
04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes RS does have a way with the ladies. My six year old was watching a few minutes of UM with me a while back and out of the blue said "I think Robert Stack is handsome". :)

You know a little off topic but one of my girls when they were babies felt the same way as your baby does about the UM theme but with the Brady Bunch theme song. She would be in her playpen and whenever BB would start she would stop whatever she was doing and stand up and watch the entire song and not move a muscle. :lol:

LoL! My lil one does that with M*A*S*H theme too! I wonder what it is about babies and certain types of music. My lil one is only 3 1/2 months! Robert Stack Handsome? Yup! Its the trench coat!!!

Dislimb
04-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Anyways, back to the topic, I think the Megadeth guy has something to do with it.

:p

kamy
06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I resurrected this one because I just got done watching it and it absolutely blows my mind! I googled it on about every search engine possible and didn't find anything. This one and the Sara Jo boggles the mind. Any updates on either of them??

:confused: :confused:

CanadianUMFan
06-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I resurrected this one because I just got done watching it and it absolutely blows my mind! I googled it on about every search engine possible and didn't find anything. This one and the Sara Jo boggles the mind. Any updates on either of them??

The Sara Jo is the one about the five guys who went missing at sea and then one of them turned up in a grave on an island many miles away, right? The boat was also found on that island but there was no sign of the other four men. I asked about that on another board and was told that there is no update.

mozartpc27
06-25-2007, 09:56 AM

I'm reposting a post of mine from an earlier thread:

For what it's worth, some aspiring writer put together a story around this tragic true story of the missing "Sara Jo," which he spells "Sarah Joe" [I figure at least one of those is wrong, but I supposed the boat might have been named for a girl named Sarah and a guy named Joe]. In it, he reports that John Hanchett, the father of one of the victims (the same man who appears in the UM segment) hired a private investigator named Steve Goodenow to do some more digging. After conducting interviews and doing his own sweep of the island, Goodenow concluded that a crew member of a Taiwanese fishing boat which had been fishing illegally off the island was the one who came ashore and buried the remains, noting that burning small papers is a part of some Taiwanese funerary ceremonies.

Site: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Makes sense, and robs the story of all its mystery. Of course, it is only a theory; I don't think Goodenow ever identified the specific crew member he thought to have done this. Alas. But I suppose it is nice for the family that they have some answers to the rather baffling appearance of one body ten years after the disappearance of the boat and the five men.

kamy
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm reposting a post of mine from an earlier thread:

For what it's worth, some aspiring writer put together a story around this tragic true story of the missing "Sara Jo," which he spells "Sarah Joe" [I figure at least one of those is wrong, but I supposed the boat might have been named for a girl named Sarah and a guy named Joe]. In it, he reports that John Hanchett, the father of one of the victims (the same man who appears in the UM segment) hired a private investigator named Steve Goodenow to do some more digging. After conducting interviews and doing his own sweep of the island, Goodenow concluded that a crew member of a Taiwanese fishing boat which had been fishing illegally off the island was the one who came ashore and buried the remains, noting that burning small papers is a part of some Taiwanese funerary ceremonies.

Site: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Makes sense, and robs the story of all its mystery. Of course, it is only a theory; I don't think Goodenow ever identified the specific crew member he thought to have done this. Alas. But I suppose it is nice for the family that they have some answers to the rather baffling appearance of one body ten years after the disappearance of the boat and the five men.

The link didn't work for me, but thanks for the info on the Taiwanese boat.
:wave:

uncle rodger
01-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Averman
I am Mikes uncle and waht else do you know

treeman
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Averman
I am Mikes uncle and waht else do you know

Wow someone involved with the case!
What do you believe happened? Did they ever find the boat?

I'm sure others have more questions so stick around.

-Ben

uncle rodger
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I have heard that just short of Port Orford Mike called ahead to the other two boats and told them that he was having battery trouble and would catch up to them. He then said theres a tug in tow in front of me and I have to move. That was around 23:30 that night. N
othing was ever found except the net. The coast guard thought they saw it off of the California coast. They were so sure they dropped a life boat in the fog. 3 months later a boat was ran aground between Gold Beach and Port Orford that had been running drugs from a barge 7 mile out. That is were the net was found.

Thats what I know.
Uncle Rodger

uncle rodger
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Read my reply . I don't believe it aws an accident

uncle rodger
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I have heard that just short of Port Orford Mike called ahead to the other two boats and told them that he was having battery trouble and would catch up to them. He then said theres a tug in tow in front of me and I have to move. That was around 23:30 that night. N
othing was ever found except the net. The coast guard thought they saw it off of the California coast. They were so sure they dropped a life boat in the fog. 3 months later a boat was ran aground between Gold Beach and Port Orford that had been running drugs from a barge 7 mile out. That is were the net was found.

Thats what I know.
Uncle Rodger
e'MIAL ME WITH IN FO AT brbq1@charter.net

Xerxies
02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
"Red" (Dale Dixson) is my uncle. For a time as a teenager, I lived with his wife Pam, and their children including Rusty, Caleb and Jason in Crescent City, CA. We spent many an hour on the docks, fishing and just being kids, fond memories!

I did not know the deckhand.

I knew my Uncle Dale well though, enough to say that he'd of never knowingly placed his children in jeopardy, nor would he have abducted them. His entire new family including his then pregnant wife, who happens to be from Columbia, were in the United States when this horrific event occurred.

Theories abound, but the truth as to what happened during the Liebling’s final journey will likely never be determined with any certainty. Uncle Dale was an extremely experienced commercial fisherman with many years of experience. The only absolute in this case is that whatever happened was completely outside of my Uncle Dale’s control. Otherwise they’d be here with us today.

Another statement that has been made is that Uncle Dale was taking the boat on a fishing trip. This was untrue, he was simply shuttling the boat to Astoria for dry dock repairs. He would not have taken Caleb, who was only 6 years old at the time, with him if they’d actually been fishing.

cocytus
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
"Red" (Dale Dixson) is my uncle. For a time as a teenager, I lived with his wife Pam, and their children including Rusty, Caleb and Jason in Crescent City, CA. We spent many an hour on the docks, fishing and just being kids, fond memories!

I did not know the deckhand.

I knew my Uncle Dale well though, enough to say that he'd of never knowingly placed his children in jeopardy, nor would he have abducted them. His entire new family including his then pregnant wife, who happens to be from Columbia, were in the United States when this horrific event occurred.

Theories abound, but the truth as to what happened during the Liebling’s final journey will likely never be determined with any certainty. Uncle Dale was an extremely experienced commercial fisherman with many years of experience. The only absolute in this case is that whatever happened was completely outside of my Uncle Dale’s control. Otherwise they’d be here with us today.

Another statement that has been made is that Uncle Dale was taking the boat on a fishing trip. This was untrue, he was simply shuttling the boat to Astoria for dry dock repairs. He would not have taken Caleb, who was only 6 years old at the time, with him if they’d actually been fishing.

Three things:

1) I take that since your are a relative that you know "Uncle Rodgers" that posted above
2) The name of the country is actually "Colombia."
3) What are the odds that two relatives of very obscure case that was never solved would be on a Internet forum at the same time discussing that case?

crystaldawn
02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Three things:

1) I take that since your are a relative that you know "Uncle Rodgers" that posted above
3) What are the odds that two relatives of very obscure case that was never solved would be on a Internet forum at the same time discussing that case?

Cocytus this isn't grammar class so correcting someone's spelling isn't necessary...:rolleyes:

I don't find it strange at all that more than one relative would be here discussing this case. Many of these cases if you google the names one of the first hits is our board.

If you have something worthwhile to state about the case than feel free but don't feel the need to post here just to try and correct or give someone a hard time because I assure you that won't be tolerated here.

cocytus
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Cocytus this isn't grammar class so correcting someone's spelling isn't necessary...:rolleyes:

I don't find it strange at all that more than one relative would be here discussing this case. Many of these cases if you google the names one of the first hits is our board.

If you have something worthwhile to state about the case than feel free but don't feel the need to post here just to try and correct or give someone a hard time because I assure you that won't be tolerated here.

Given that there are about 20 cities and towns in the US named "Columbia" and only a single country named "Colombia" couldn't clarity be seen as necessity if you are trying to make your point?

I find it odd that two relatives from an exceptionally obscure case posted here. That's what I stated.

Is there something about what I posted on here that you find personally offensive? Because I know that I made postings on here that have been far more explicit and that also unfortunately, contained ad hominem statements by me that haven't provoked this kind of reaction.

crystaldawn
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Given that there are about 20 cities and towns in the US named "Columbia" and only a single country named "Colombia" couldn't clarity be seen as necessity if you are trying to make your point?

I find it odd that two relatives from an exceptionally obscure case posted here. That's what I stated.

Is there something about what I posted on here that you find personally offensive? Because I know that I made postings on here that have been far more explicit and that also unfortunately, contained ad hominem statements by me that haven't provoked this kind of reaction.

I do find it offensive that you have the nerve to come on here and try to correct not only a poster but a relative of a person profiled on UM. Your position on here Cocytus is not to interrogate or criticize other posters, but simply to state your opinion on UM cases. Perhaps this should serve as a warning. Any posts from you that I deem argumentative or out of line will be deleted.

cocytus
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
I do find it offensive that you have the nerve to come on here and try to correct not only a poster but a relative of a person profiled on UM. Your position on here Cocytus is not to interrogate or criticize other posters, but simply to state your opinion on UM cases. Perhaps this should serve as a warning. Any posts from you that I deem argumentative or out of line will be deleted.

Clearly the position of moderator and the imaginary powers that it entails has gone to someone's head.

If you are eager to believe that the unlikely occurrence that not one but TWO "relatives" are going sign into an obscure Internet forum about an obscure "case" that's your right. As I stated earlier, the level of the debate on here has descended into levels of implausibility usually reserved for 4chan or some fanboy gaming site, so I can see where phony relatives would be welcome.

Warn somebody who cares. I don't. And I'm leaving this forum as a result.
Have a nice fantasy life!

crystaldawn
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Warn somebody who cares. I don't. And I'm leaving this forum as a result.

Thank you!

Xerxies
02-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Three things:

I do not know "Uncle Rogers" he is not, to my knowledge, any relation to me or the Dixson family, nor did I see where he claimed any such relation. He may have been related to the Deckhand, I’m not sure...

My apologies for my typo in regards to the nation of Colombia, the keys ‘o’ and ‘u’ are rather close together and I make no claims to any skill with the keyboard.

I’m not sure how to respond to your declaration regarding the odds of family members posting on the same forum regarding an “very obscure” case… I will tell you, that to me and my family, this case is NOT obscure. It’s very real, we/I live with the loss of our treasured loved ones every single day of our lives, EVERY DAY! This may seem obscure to you, but it was not your family that suffered this loss, and I can assure you, I am not the only family member still very much interested in this case.

Your tone and demeanor is extremely offensive. I’ve never met you, and it seems from the one post of mine you’ve ever read, you’ve determined that my veracity should in some way be questioned… I am angry and offended!

nohwheregirl
02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I do not know "Uncle Rogers" he is not, to my knowledge, any relation to me or the Dixson family, nor did I see where he claimed any such relation. He may have been related to the Deckhand, I’m not sure...

My apologies for my typo in regards to the nation of Colombia, the keys ‘o’ and ‘u’ are rather close together and I make no claims to any skill with the keyboard.

I’m not sure how to respond to your declaration regarding the odds of family members posting on the same forum regarding an “very obscure” case… I will tell you, that to me and my family, this case is NOT obscure. It’s very real, we/I live with the loss of our treasured loved ones every single day of our lives, EVERY DAY! This may seem obscure to you, but it was not your family that suffered this loss, and I can assure you, I am not the only family member still very much interested in this case.

Your tone and demeanor is extremely offensive. I’ve never met you, and it seems from the one post of mine you’ve ever read, you’ve determined that my veracity should in some way be questioned… I am angry and offended!

Xerxies, I just want to make clear that I am very sorry for your loss and that you are considered very welcome here by the rest of the posters on this message board (I hope I am not overstepping my bounds by speaking for everyone else). Many of the family and friends of victims involved in these cases post here, and we are eternally grateful for their knowledge and insight. I hope you will consider sticking around. We do truly care about those involved in Unsolved Mysteries cases and want to see the cases resolved.

crystaldawn
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Xerxies, I just want to make clear that I am very sorry for your loss and that you are considered very welcome here by the rest of the posters on this message board (I hope I am not overstepping my bounds by speaking for everyone else). Many of the family and friends of victims involved in these cases post here, and we are eternally grateful for their knowledge and insight. I hope you will consider sticking around. We do truly care about those involved in Unsolved Mysteries cases and want to see the cases resolved.

I agree completely with Nowheregirl. Cocytus' comment to you was rude and he/she has assured me they are leaving the board so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. We welcome any and all posts by relatives of people profiled on UM. I hope you and your family can one day get answers as to what happened to your uncle and cousins.

Xerxies
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you!

It has been a long time, but I still think about Uncle Dale often. He looked out for and was there for me when I was a kid. I never got to thank him for his kindness. He took me in and treated me just like Rusty, Jason, Caleb, Amanda and Sarah, essentially just like one of his own children. It is one of my greatest regrets, that I was never able to tell him how much I appreciated and loved him. He is one of my heroes, even if he was rough around the edges and didn’t always make the right choices.

Old fishermen believe that those lost at sea look after those who ply their livings from her. I’d like to think that they are all looking after others, keeping them safe, so they can come home to those love them. I miss them, I guess I’ll never get over that.

Your kind words are appreciated, Cocytus’s comments really shook me up, more than they should have I guess…

Xerxies
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I agree completely with Nowheregirl. Cocytus' comment to you was rude and he/she has assured me they are leaving the board so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. We welcome any and all posts by relatives of people profiled on UM. I hope you and your family can one day get answers as to what happened to your uncle and cousins.

Thank you!

I will frequent the board and offer what insight I can. If I don’t know the answer to a question I can contact members of my family and come up with one on short notice. Although I’ll preface that with; some questions nobody has been able to answer as yet, but I will do my best.

MegtheEgg86
02-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Thank you!

I will frequent the board and offer what insight I can. If I don’t know the answer to a question I can contact members of my family and come up with one on short notice. Although I’ll preface that with; some questions nobody has been able to answer as yet, but I will do my best.

I'm glad you've decided to stick around, Xerxies. I'm only sorry one individual's boorish behavior and social ineptitude were what you were met when you initially posted. We do care about what's happened to your family and you are welcome here.

Do you think the net that was found later indeed belonged to the Liebling? It seems this makes the most sense, but if only a fishing net was found, one might think heavier objects comprising the boat would be in the area as well. I've always thought this was an accident--the Liebling collided with something or otherwise sank for reasons outside your uncle's control. I just don't understand why, if the net was found, other portions of the vessel weren't. I don't know much about commercial boating or the sea, however. What are your thoughts?

Xerxies
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Do you think the net that was found later indeed belonged to the Liebling? It seems this makes the most sense, but if only a fishing net was found, one might think heavier objects comprising the boat would be in the area as well. I've always thought this was an accident--the Liebling collided with something or otherwise sank for reasons outside your uncle's control. I just don't understand why, if the net was found, other portions of the vessel weren't. I don't know much about commercial boating or the sea, however. What are your thoughts?

My cousin DJ told me that he examined the net that was found and was able to positively identify it as a net from the Liebling. According to DJ, that particular net was one he’d worked with on another fishing vessel. He stated that he recognized the net from the repairs that had been done to it, and he knew the net had been sold to Uncle Dale.

As you, I think this was a tragic accident, that likely the Liebling is in fact the object located on the sea floor. It’s a mystery why no debris or fuel slicks were found in the area. Although, I did hear from some family members that a fuel slick was found. However, as I recall, the slick may have been in a location they did not think the Liebling had been or it had not appeared to be large enough to be from the sinking of the Liebling. Either way the observation was discounted as unrelated.

Regardless of my personal feelings regarding the fate of the Liebling, and those aboard her, it would help bring us closure, if it could somehow be proven that the object found on the sea floor is in fact the Liebling. The sea is, in my opinion, as good a place as any to lay a loved one to rest. I would just like to know for sure where Uncle Dale, Rusty, Jason and Caleb’s final resting place is located, so we could have a place to remember them.

I’d like to add, that I don’t want the fate of the Liebling to be obscured and forgotten by the passage of time. I was just a teenager when it happened. I’m 41 now and the family members whom were adults when it happened are older yet. We won’t be around forever. Who knows, one day perhaps I’ll be wealthy enough to finance a mission to the suspected site of the Liebling’s final resting place on my own to determine, finally, if she is in fact there…

crystaldawn
02-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Xerxies, I am curious as to how Red's ex-wife and the mother of the three boys is doing these days. I always thought she came across as a very pleasant, likeable woman and can't imagine what she has went through all these years losing her 3 children.

So sad to hear that Red's new wife was pregnant at the time they went missing and that child will in all probability never get to meet their father.

Xerxies
02-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Xerxies, I am curious as to how Red's ex-wife and the mother of the three boys is doing these days. I always thought she came across as a very pleasant, likeable woman and can't imagine what she has went through all these years losing her 3 children.

So sad to hear that Red's new wife was pregnant at the time they went missing and that child will in all probability never get to meet their father.

My Aunt Pam, (Red’s Ex-wife) was very private about her grieving. She is a member of the Jehovah’s Witness “church”, and I think she pretty much leaned on her faith to get through it. I never talked with her about Dale, Rusty, Jason or Caleb, I was young, and a bit afraid of potentially touching a raw nerve and having to deal with the uncomfortable emotions bringing the topic up may cause… I also did not have a lot of contact with Aunt Pam after the “incident”; I don’t think many in the family did. She kind of withdrew from the Dixson family, seeing how we’re a bunch of heathens and everyone knows how the Jehovah’s Witness “church” feels about heathens… ;) Last I knew they think we’re all going straight to hell, holding hands, singing Kumbayah…:lol:

I know earlier I stated that Uncle Dale’s wife was pregnant when the Liebling was lost. I’m not sure if she was or not now though… 15-year-old boys don’t spend a lot of time in the contemplation of the pregnancies caused by uncles etc, to do so would be sort of weird I think. Anyway, if she was not pregnant at the time, then Cousin Stephanie would have been a newborn at the time of the event. (I’ll clarify through my Mom, to make sure) Anyway, Stephanie may have met her father as a brand new baby, but I don’t think she did…

Keep in mind that I was only a teenager at the time, and that, combined with the passage of time may have skewed my perception of events a bit. I’ll chat with my Mom to refresh my recollection and hopefully do better in the future.

WishfulDreamer
02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
My Aunt Pam, (Red’s Ex-wife) was very private about her grieving. She is a member of the Jehovah’s Witness “church”, and I think she pretty much leaned on her faith to get through it. I never talked with her about Dale, Rusty, Jason or Caleb, I was young, and a bit afraid of potentially touching a raw nerve and having to deal with the uncomfortable emotions bringing the topic up may cause… I also did not have a lot of contact with Aunt Pam after the “incident”; I don’t think many in the family did. She kind of withdrew from the Dixson family, seeing how we’re a bunch of heathens and everyone knows how the Jehovah’s Witness “church” feels about heathens… ;) Last I knew they think we’re all going straight to hell, holding hands, singing Kumbayah…:lol:

I know earlier I stated that Uncle Dale’s wife was pregnant when the Liebling was lost. I’m not sure if she was or not now though… 15-year-old boys don’t spend a lot of time in the contemplation of the pregnancies caused by uncles etc, to do so would be sort of weird I think. Anyway, if she was not pregnant at the time, then Cousin Stephanie would have been a newborn at the time of the event. (I’ll clarify through my Mom, to make sure) Anyway, Stephanie may have met her father as a brand new baby, but I don’t think she did…

Keep in mind that I was only a teenager at the time, and that, combined with the passage of time may have skewed my perception of events a bit. I’ll chat with my Mom to refresh my recollection and hopefully do better in the future.

Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell. But I fully understand the pressure that happens when someone of another faith tries to convert you/looks down on you! ;) (Not saying all people of this sect do, just some)

But back to the more serious matter, I'm very sorry about the Liebling and your family. This segment has always really touched me. I always felt bad for the wife, especially because at the last minute she let the youngest son go. She probably felt guilty (even though it wasn't her fault). I really hope that one day there is some sort of answer out there and that you can all have some peace of mind.

Hambone2421
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think I have ever seen this episode. I can't seem to find it on the site that shall not be mentioned. If anyone has a link to it, can you please PM it to me? Thanks!!!

RobinW
05-05-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't think I have ever seen this episode. I can't seem to find it on the site that shall not be mentioned. If anyone has a link to it, can you please PM it to me? Thanks!!!

Do a search under "Liebling Part 1" and you'll get a match.

Hambone2421
05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Do a search under "Liebling Part 1" and you'll get a match.

Awesome. Thanks Robin!

bluejazz87
05-28-2011, 10:44 PM
My cousin DJ told me that he examined the net that was found and was able to positively identify it as a net from the Liebling. According to DJ, that particular net was one he’d worked with on another fishing vessel. He stated that he recognized the net from the repairs that had been done to it, and he knew the net had been sold to Uncle Dale.

As you, I think this was a tragic accident, that likely the Liebling is in fact the object located on the sea floor. It’s a mystery why no debris or fuel slicks were found in the area. Although, I did hear from some family members that a fuel slick was found. However, as I recall, the slick may have been in a location they did not think the Liebling had been or it had not appeared to be large enough to be from the sinking of the Liebling. Either way the observation was discounted as unrelated.

Regardless of my personal feelings regarding the fate of the Liebling, and those aboard her, it would help bring us closure, if it could somehow be proven that the object found on the sea floor is in fact the Liebling. The sea is, in my opinion, as good a place as any to lay a loved one to rest. I would just like to know for sure where Uncle Dale, Rusty, Jason and Caleb’s final resting place is located, so we could have a place to remember them.

I’d like to add, that I don’t want the fate of the Liebling to be obscured and forgotten by the passage of time. I was just a teenager when it happened. I’m 41 now and the family members whom were adults when it happened are older yet. We won’t be around forever. Who knows, one day perhaps I’ll be wealthy enough to finance a mission to the suspected site of the Liebling’s final resting place on my own to determine, finally, if she is in fact there…
I just rewatched this case. So sad. I'm of the opinion that the ship and crew met with some unfortunate accident and sunk. It's nice of you to shed some more light on this subject. I've always wondered about this case. Thanks.

Hambone2421
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Three things:

What a jackass.

darahsixson
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you!

It has been a long time, but I still think about Uncle Dale often. He looked out for and was there for me when I was a kid. I never got to thank him for his kindness. He took me in and treated me just like Rusty, Jason, Caleb, Amanda and Sarah, essentially just like one of his own children. It is one of my greatest regrets, that I was never able to tell him how much I appreciated and loved him. He is one of my heroes, even if he was rough around the edges and didn’t always make the right choices.

Old fishermen believe that those lost at sea look after those who ply their livings from her. I’d like to think that they are all looking after others, keeping them safe, so they can come home to those love them. I miss them, I guess I’ll never get over that.

Your kind words are appreciated, Cocytus’s comments really shook me up, more than they should have I guess…
I'm not really sure how to post on here. I was looking for information about the Julie that sunk in 1981(my mom thinks she isn't sure) with dad and DJ when I found this forum. I thought it was very funny when the girl didn't believe you because I knew exactly who you were the minute I read your post:) I am Dale's daughter so it would be hard not to know a cousin if by all else then the fact they can spell Dixson correctly:) He knew you loved him...and he would be extremely proud of the man you became, as we all are. Much love to you

darahsixson
01-16-2012, 02:22 PM

My mom did lean on the church and she pulled away from the family for reasons other then the church. My sister was born in September a month after the boat went missing....

darahsixson
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell. But I fully understand the pressure that happens when someone of another faith tries to convert you/looks down on you! ;) (Not saying all people of this sect do, just some)

But back to the more serious matter, I'm very sorry about the Liebling and your family. This segment has always really touched me. I always felt bad for the wife, especially because at the last minute she let the youngest son go. She probably felt guilty (even though it wasn't her fault). I really hope that one day there is some sort of answer out there and that you can all have some peace of mind.
Mom took me school clothes shopping the day before the boat was to pull out of the docks, in the middle of the day she got really nervous and turned to me and said she was going to get Caleb she wasn't comfortable with him going on the trip.....I got angry because it was not normal for us to ever get time alone, at the time I was 10 years old....I know I will never forget the smell of that store or get over being selfish. I now have 3 boys and when they talk to each other or say I wish he wasn't around for a few days it brings it all up and I am positive I am much harder on them then if I hadn't been a brat that day and just went along to go pick Caleb up.

darahsixson
01-16-2012, 03:07 PM

She didn't think that about the family.... She loved most and didn't see eye to eye with two of them....It happens to be the same two people who told everyone she didn't want anyone around us. I only found out on accident I got a little tipsy and asked someone why they never came to see us when dad died..I always thought it was because it made them sad to see us so they would rather forget about us. Well it was then that I was told what had been passed around and how sorry they were for listening cause if it hadn't been such a struggle to visit they wouldn't have listened. I choose to listen to something someone told me once "Talk about it, get it out, let it go, leave the past behind cause it does no go in the present" I'm sure that isn't a exact quote but that was the meaning I got out of it. I forgive the people who cared more about getting money from my fathers death then the two girls whose entire family was wiped out that night. I love them all and choose to not be angry anymore but I can't let you think that my mom felt or feels that way about you or anyone in the family.

TheCars1986
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
First off let me just say I'm sorry for the loss of your father and brothers. This case has always been one that I would like to see solved, just to get some sort of closure for the friends and relatives of all of the missing men. I tend to think there was an accident of some kind which sunk the ship. If you don't mind sharing, I'm sure everyone on here would like to know about any updates on this case or your thoughts and opinions about what happened. There's always been one thing that's bugged me about this one, if the Liebling was in fact struck by a larger boat, wouldn't the larger boat have felt it somehow!?

darahsixson
01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
There has been a lot of speculation about what happened. Mom kept all the search records for when the boys were found there were boxes upon boxes of them. My cousin is positive the net they pulled up was off my dad's boat...I've been told it's like sowing when you fix a net you can see exactly where the mends you did are and that's why he is so positive he had mended the net before. Based on that I am sure they are in that location somewhere. My mom and dad never fought over us if he wanted the boys he got them if he wanted to take us he could there were never any issues like that. When I was in high school I became friends with a girl whose boyfriends dad worked on a barge boat ...she asked me a lot of questions about the boat and what I thought, after we knew each other for a few years she told me that she was sworn to secrecy by her boyfriend but he had told her one night that it was his dad's boat in the area that night and they did feel the hit but claimed they weren't able to save anyone and the lawsuit would ruin them so they stayed quite...I don't know if it was a teenage boy showing off for his girlfriend or if the story is true..I wasn't really sure what to do with the information it seemed like every time we got a lead it just made life harder for a long time when it turned out false. So I let it go...I would like one day to have a camera go down and verify that it is the boat there.

TheCars1986
01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
I too think the boat sank, but I would still like to know whether or not it was a true accident or a hit and run.

crystaldawn
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
There has been a lot of speculation about what happened. Mom kept all the search records for when the boys were found there were boxes upon boxes of them. My cousin is positive the net they pulled up was off my dad's boat...I've been told it's like sowing when you fix a net you can see exactly where the mends you did are and that's why he is so positive he had mended the net before. Based on that I am sure they are in that location somewhere. My mom and dad never fought over us if he wanted the boys he got them if he wanted to take us he could there were never any issues like that. When I was in high school I became friends with a girl whose boyfriends dad worked on a barge boat ...she asked me a lot of questions about the boat and what I thought, after we knew each other for a few years she told me that she was sworn to secrecy by her boyfriend but he had told her one night that it was his dad's boat in the area that night and they did feel the hit but claimed they weren't able to save anyone and the lawsuit would ruin them so they stayed quite...I don't know if it was a teenage boy showing off for his girlfriend or if the story is true..I wasn't really sure what to do with the information it seemed like every time we got a lead it just made life harder for a long time when it turned out false. So I let it go...I would like one day to have a camera go down and verify that it is the boat there.

Thanks so much for posting! So sorry about your brothers and father. A few questions if you don't mind answering. I didn't realize there that he had more children. Was there any particular reason you didn't go with them on the trip? Do you have any contact with the family of the other man who went missing? I certainly hope they will be able to locate the Liebling one day for your family's sake.

darahsixson
07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
My mom and dad had 5 kids together then my dad had one more daughter. My sister and I didn't go because we were going to have a girls movie watching weekend. We didn't know the other family at all before and never got to know them later on .....so no..... I was only 10 when they died and never really thought of contacting them to be quite honest.

dks64
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Perhaps someone's going to bed with me tonight. Perhaps...it's you. :lol:

I just came across this post and laughed my butt off. That was AWESOME. Alright, back to reading so I can add to the post.

dks64
04-01-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't know how deep the area is where the ship went missing, but is it likely the ship is there and just being overlooked? Have they used any scanning tools to try to locate the ship?

WishfulDreamer
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't know how deep the area is where the ship went missing, but is it likely the ship is there and just being overlooked? Have they used any scanning tools to try to locate the ship?
If I recall correctly, the segment said that the area was too deep to check, but I would have to watch again. I think the ship is probably in the spot where the net was found :(

dks64
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
If I recall correctly, the segment said that the area was too deep to check, but I would have to watch again. I think the ship is probably in the spot where the net was found :(

I couldn't imagine being family members of the missing people and not knowing after all these years. So sad. :( Maybe they'll have new technology soon that will allow for more exploration without the cost of deep diving.

WishfulDreamer
04-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I couldn't imagine being family members of the missing people and not knowing after all these years. So sad. :( Maybe they'll have new technology soon that will allow for more exploration without the cost of deep diving.
Just rewatched the segment. RS says that the water is too icy and turbulent in the area for them to search the ocean floor. He also mentions that the net was found about 700 feet below the surface.

It is very sad. Family members, especially that poor mother, have a general idea where their loved ones are but can do nothing about it. I really feel for the mother, particularly because she was persuaded to let the youngest boy go at the last minute. That must haunt her almost 30 years later. :(

dks64
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Just rewatched the segment. RS says that the water is too icy and turbulent in the area for them to search the ocean floor. He also mentions that the net was found about 700 feet below the surface.

It is very sad. Family members, especially that poor mother, have a general idea where their loved ones are but can do nothing about it. I really feel for the mother, particularly because she was persuaded to let the youngest boy go at the last minute. That must haunt her almost 30 years later. :(

Even if the ship is down there, it's not likely that bodies are still with the boat.

Exactly, poor mother. :(

WishfulDreamer
04-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Even if the ship is down there, it's not likely that bodies are still with the boat.

Exactly, poor mother. :(
That is true. The only way I can imagine that the bodies are still in the boat is if they were in the cabin of the boat. Since they disappeared overnight, perhaps it's possible that they were sleeping. And as the friend interviewed in the segment said, it would have been a very quick sinking because the barge would have been so much bigger than the Liebling, which would explain why there were no distress signals sent and no oil slick found. Just a sad story all around.

By the way, I have found very little information about this case online. A google search only yields Unsolved Mysteries links. I find that surprising, considering this case involves two families. Has anyone else had more luck finding additional information?

dks64
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
That is true. The only way I can imagine that the bodies are still in the boat is if they were in the cabin of the boat. Since they disappeared overnight, perhaps it's possible that they were sleeping. And as the friend interviewed in the segment said, it would have been a very quick sinking because the barge would have been so much bigger than the Liebling, which would explain why there were no distress signals sent and no oil slick found. Just a sad story all around.

By the way, I have found very little information about this case online. A google search only yields Unsolved Mysteries links. I find that surprising, considering this case involves two families. Has anyone else had more luck finding additional information?

I have not been able to find more information. I searched on Yahoo before coming here and posting. There likely isn't much information because it happened before the time of the internet. It was so long ago and not a huge public case that most people have never heard of it. Thank goodness for this place because without it, most cases wouldn't be discussed at all.

WishfulDreamer
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Bumping this thread up. This August will mark the 27th anniversary of the Liebling's disappearance.

Babydollz24
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
whats weird is there is next to NOTHING online about the Liebling, or on Websleuths. Sad case. i wish they would do another search of the ocean:confused:

WishfulDreamer
07-08-2013, 12:27 AM
whats weird is there is next to NOTHING online about the Liebling, or on Websleuths. Sad case. i wish they would do another search of the ocean:confused:
I don't think they can dive that far considering the depth of the water and how icy it is. But I would hope they could use some sort of camera technology to at least try to find it or spot any wreckage (similar for what they did with the Bermuda Triangle planes). However, since it's been almost thirty years and the water is turbulent in that area, there may not be any luck. It'd be nice if they tried, though.