PDA

View Full Version : New Member

hollowmoll
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi All! I just joined last night and decided to follow the lead of a few other new posters by introducing myself. I've been an avid DoeNetwork surfer for many years now and am thrilled to discover a group of people who also find themselves compelled to learn about these cases. I think they are not just interesting but important. I resent when people say looking at sites such as DoeNetwork is "morbid". These are real people, real mourning families and no matter how sad, seemingly hopeless or gruesome their circumstances; they deserve to be paid attention. My only "fascination" lies in knowing there are so many unidentified and missing persons in this country while only a tiny fraction recieve public attention. Their numbers are overwhelming and some of these cases clearly have to match up. It's exciting to learn of cases solved by people using the resources of the DoeNetwork. Well, I didn't mean to make this such a long-winded intro so I'm off. Bye! PS-Did anyone know there are a small amount of living unidentified featured on the DoeNetwork? Most are amnesia or Alzhiemer's-related; a few were abandoned children and a number are photos of unknown persons whom authorities believe may be victims (possibly found in the possession of a killer). They do not, however, have their own index. To find them you just have to search "Amnesia" or "Help Identify", etc... Alright, seriously, bye... :rolleyes:

AB
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi! :wave:

Scoobiedoo30
03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Welcome to The Borad

hollowmoll
03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Welcome to The Borad
Thank you! Glad to be here.:happyface
John Ritter- I second the RIP.
Does anyone have a case to discuss?

hollowmoll
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Here's the case of a woman who committed suicide in Orange County, California in 1987: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/23ufca.html
She has never been identified.

crystaldawn
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the board! :wave:

Yes that is such a sad case of that young girl who seemingly committed suicide. Its too bad she has never been identified.

marahnna
04-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Hollow,

I actually originally joined these forums to discuss the show Unsolved Mysteries, but I was glad to see this forum. I feel the exact same way you do about unidentified victims and missing persons cases. It's so difficult knowing that there are so many of them out there. I look through these pictures on the chance, however slight it may be, that I may have seen one of these people before. I too have wondered if the hours I spend poring over these people's cases makes me "morbid" or "weird," but I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being somewhat haunted by these stories, wishing there were something more I could do. In any case, you're in good company! :wave:

hollowmoll
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Hollow,

I actually originally joined these forums to discuss the show Unsolved Mysteries, but I was glad to see this forum. I feel the exact same way you do about unidentified victims and missing persons cases. It's so difficult knowing that there are so many of them out there. I look through these pictures on the chance, however slight it may be, that I may have seen one of these people before. I too have wondered if the hours I spend poring over these people's cases makes me "morbid" or "weird," but I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being somewhat haunted by these stories, wishing there were something more I could do. In any case, you're in good company! :wave:
:wave: Hey there! It's awesome to hear that you're interested in all that, too! I watched Unsolved Mysteries in its heyday and occasionally when it was still on Lifetime but I'm not familiar enough with it to know its cases by heart. So I, too am glad there's a separate post for non UM cases.
I, too hope that by looking at the pictures and reading about each case that maybe someday I'll be able to link two of them (one missing and one unidentified) and solve an old case! I used to hope I'd maybe recognize someone out in public but I figure that's less likely because 1.the cases on the Doe Network are older and the people probably wouldn't look at all the same as the picture posted 2.most of the people are presumed dead and 3.I don't get out of the house enough!! :lol:
Anyways, you should post links of some of the cases you find most interesting and we can discuss them!:cheers:
Later!

hollowmoll
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
"Anyways, you should post links of some of the cases you find most interesting and we can discuss them!"

Oh, I see you did on the "Most compelling Doenetwork cases" thread! Cool. See ya there...

marahnna
04-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh, of course, I've had those hopes too! There was one missing person's case and unidentified victim that prompted me to write to the authorities. The missing person was from New York and the unidentified was found in Florida, but the physical resemblance was similar and I think the timeframe was about right. I never heard back, so I'm assuming that they either didn't think the lead was worth investigating, had already investigated it, or looked into it and were able to dismiss the possibility.

On the flip side, I think you might enjoy reading the story of "The Tent Girl," (http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/masterdetective2/) if you haven't already. It's a satisfying reminder that with enough persistence, it is possible for a regular, ordinary person to solve a decades-old mystery.

Yooch
04-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to SO! :wave:

hollowmoll
04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh, of course, I've had those hopes too! There was one missing person's case and unidentified victim that prompted me to write to the authorities. The missing person was from New York and the unidentified was found in Florida, but the physical resemblance was similar and I think the timeframe was about right. I never heard back, so I'm assuming that they either didn't think the lead was worth investigating, had already investigated it, or looked into it and were able to dismiss the possibility.

On the flip side, I think you might enjoy reading the story of "The Tent Girl," (http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/masterdetective2/) if you haven't already. It's a satisfying reminder that with enough persistence, it is possible for a regular, ordinary person to solve a decades-old mystery.
That's really neat that you acually took that step and contacted them! I think more people need to do that. Think if you'd been right and solved it! Think of how grateful the family and detectives would be for you spending a few minutes of your time. If you're wrong, no harm done!:)
Thanks for the Tent Girl link! I remember reading about that a long time ago (an article on Doenetwork?) I want to read it again to refresh my memory...

hollowmoll
04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Welcome to SO! :wave:
:happyface Thank you! It's great to be here...:wave:

marahnna
04-07-2007, 02:18 AM
That's really neat that you acually took that step and contacted them! I think more people need to do that. Think if you'd been right and solved it! Think of how grateful the family and detectives would be for you spending a few minutes of your time. If you're wrong, no harm done!:)
Thanks for the Tent Girl link! I remember reading about that a long time ago (an article on Doenetwork?) I want to read it again to refresh my memory...

I felt I had to. I got a chill when I saw the drawing of the unidentified girl -- she looked a lot like the missing girl, and part of me wanted it to be her, if only to give her family some peace and some answers. And yes, I would have been very glad if I had helped. But in any case, I'm guessing the Florida girl wasn't her (I'll dig up the exact links at some point), so at least her family can keep hoping that she's out there somehow.