PDA

View Full Version : Wade Steffey's body discovered

LooksLikeCRicci
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I think he was mentioned on the boards before, but they have found the body of 19-year old Wade Steffey, who disappeared from Purdue University after attending a fraternity party. Apparently, he entered into a high-voltage electricial room in an effort to get back into the hall to get his coat, tripped, and fell onto a power transformer.

Full story here: http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/missing-college-students-body-found/20070320110309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Also here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/20/purdue.body.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I'm glad they've finally found him. What a shame.

Awsi Dooger
03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
"We looked everywhere" doesn't necessarily mean that is true. You would think they would have at least made sure it was true in the very building he was last known to be.

I could envision a frustrated guy trying one door after another to get back into the hall, and then being somewhat impatient and less than careful when a door finally opens. Especially if he was drunk. I hope that door had some type of warning on it, describing what was inside.

A simple explanation was the truth. I always appreciate that. I'm sure if the various related websites were checked they would include one bizarre theory after another, including connections to other murders and missing persons.

Weren't there reports that his cell phone was detected elsewhere, before it went out? I'd be interested in how that is explained. Perhaps the transformer somehow threw off the readings from that cell phone, although I'm not sure that makes a fleck of sense.

LooksLikeCRicci
03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
If it truly WAS an accident, my spider sense is detecting one MAJOR lawsuit against Purdue University. Either foul play was involved, or Purdue left some doors unlocked that they should have been checking. Can anyone say "wrongful death?"

Ireneparalegal
03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I heard the news saying that the doors to the utility rooms are "normally locked". I guess that isn't true.

Also, I am not sure, but shouldn't have blood hounds been used? I mean, if he had been at a party, a piece of his clothing from his room could have been used to start from where he was last seen (the party) and maybe he could have been discovered sooner?

SiberianKiss
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
oh god just what we need another frivolous lawsuit. yeah some stupid drunk college kid tried breaking into a dorm by going through a pitch black high-voltage utility room, dies in the process and it's Purdue University's fault. Uh no. However I'm sure the university will be held responsible and will be forced to give the family milions of dollars. After all this is America where nobody takes responsibility for their own actions and even a burglar can successfully sue the owner of the home was robbing!

Awsi Dooger
03-21-2007, 02:52 AM
The blood hounds question is an excellent one. I also wonder why they didn't use cadaver dogs.

Here's a link that shows what the outside of the room looked like:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/11296875/detail.html

Supposedly it did not have a Danger High Voltage warning sign on the outside and a Purdue spokesman said one was not required.

LooksLikeCRicci
03-21-2007, 05:27 AM
I don't care what anyone says... the lawyer in me is *twitching* right now. I'll be interested to see what transpires...