PDA

View Full Version : Anyone one know why Dawn Lewis left the show after season 1?

TVFactFan
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Her departure was the jump the shark monet and the left the door wide open for that stupid ass cousin Geneiva and nicole character along with PJ

PrettyinPink55
02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I always wondered that too.

They always said Hangin w/ Mr. Cooper was "The Black Three's Company"

But it kind of lost that when Geneva and Nicole came into the show.

TVJunkie101
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
No idea. I agree. I prefer the first season of Cooper more than the rest, although I still enjoyed the show. I'm loving the fact that it's on TVOne now.

TVFactFan
02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I always wondered that too.

They always said Hangin w/ Mr. Cooper was "The Black Three's Company"

But it kind of lost that when Geneva and Nicole came into the show.

If Tyler wasn't on the show in season one and Mark had a best friend then maybe we could have called it that but the way the situation was it defintely wasn't the black three's company

GSU2004
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Her departure was the jump the shark monet and the left the door wide open for that stupid ass cousin Geneiva and nicole character along with PJ

Good question. I thought she left ADW because she was ready to deal with more adult storylines over college storylines. We could have dealt without Nell Carter. When she left, I always it was to gear the show for the TGIF audience since it moved to Friday nights.

TVFactFan
05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Good question. I thought she left ADW because she was ready to deal with more adult storylines over college storylines. We could have dealt without Nell Carter. When she left, I always it was to gear the show for the TGIF audience since it moved to Friday nights.

I forgot that ADW was in it's last season when Hangin with Mr. Cooper first started

waichingliu81
05-20-2007, 08:16 AM
i can see what you mean. i have no idea why, but i'd say the writers wrote her out because they assumed she wouldn't be of much use later on. i agree, the humour later on dried up very quickly, though i didn't mind the mark and vanessa relationship. as for the nell carter character, i didn't see the purpose of having her in it, particuarly as she came across as mean and so far up her arse, her attitude was at most times just nasty.

still, i did enjoy the show- even though it lost it's humour factor, i didn't warm up to that raven simone character, nicole. as for geneva she was okay but not great

TVFactFan
05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
i can see what you mean. i have no idea why, but i'd say the writers wrote her out because they assumed she wouldn't be of much use later on. i agree, the humour later on dried up very quickly, though i didn't mind the mark and vanessa relationship. as for the nell carter character, i didn't see the purpose of having her in it, particuarly as she came across as mean and so far up her arse, he attitude was at most times just nasty.

still, i did enjoy the show- even though it lost it's humour factor, i didn't warm up to that raven simone character, nicole. as for geneva she was okay but not great

Adding all those stupid A$$ characters is what what killed the show. Why not just a a female to replace Robin and that's it?

waichingliu81
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Adding all those stupid A$$ characters is what what killed the show. Why not just a a female to replace Robin and that's it?

not just any female, but one with personality and who could add something to that character as well

Tiger32
06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Dawn Lewis was fired, apparently the Producers did not like her. She was totally surprised by the decision. But that seems to happen a lot in Hollywood.

catlover79
06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
The first season of Cooper was by far the best. I loved Robin, and she had the best chemistry with Mark and Vanessa. I hated to see her go. :( :mad:

Furienna
06-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Actually, I liked the Geneva and Nicole seasons. Nicole was a tolerable sitcom child character, much better than Raven's previous role, Olivia on "The Cosby show". No, I hardly even remember Robin. I'm not saying she was bad, but I think the show sparked up with Geneva and Nicole, and it didn't with Robin.

TVFactFan
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Actually, I liked the Geneva and Nicole seasons. Nicole was a tolerable sitcom child character, much better than Raven's previous role, Olivia on "The Cosby show". No, I hardly even remember Robin. I'm not saying she was bad, but I think the show sparked up with Geneva and Nicole, and it didn't with Robin.

It did spar with Robin because the show finished the first season in the Top 20, after robin left the show never finished in the top 20 again

GSU2004
01-05-2008, 05:54 AM
It did spar with Robin because the show finished the first season in the Top 20, after robin left the show never finished in the top 20 again

The first season the show was on a Tuesday during the 8pm hour of prime time and it followed Full House who just moved to that night. When you look at TGIF, the 9:30pm slot where Cooper moved to was always a tough slot as most shows that had that slot were cancelled (Where I Live, New Attitudes, Getting By and so on). I guess for ABC's standards it did well to keep people between Step by Step and 20/20

jamesanthony
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I wonder how much Dawnn Lewis was like the characters she played? She always came across as kind of pissed off in almost everything I've seen her act in- maybe she was difficult to work with and they fired her for it? Sandra Quarterman was much more pleasant, but rather dull in comparison. I'm much more acquainted with seasons 2-5 but it seems like Robin was a character with much more spine to her and thus year one was probably the best season. Raven Symone is much more bearable here than in her other series where she's way over the top. I'm wondering why Nell Carter left- didn't she have a substance abuse problem? Omar Gooding was actually the best supporting player in this series to me- a breakout performer who in part because of who his family is has been working steadily for many years but really came into his own on this show.

catlover79
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
^ Whatever happened to Omar Gooding after the show left the air? I've never seen him in anything else. Of course, that might say more about me than about him.

Furienna
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
He also had a big role in "Smart guy". But after that, I don't know anything more either.

jamesanthony
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
^ Whatever happened to Omar Gooding after the show left the air? I've never seen him in anything else. Of course, that might say more about me than about him.
He's been in a bunch of things since Smart Guy although the shows- Barbershop, Playmakers etc etc get cancelled. He's like Holly Robinson-Peete- someone who even if the show gets cancelled they have nine lives and he keeps showing up in something else. Some people in Hollywood just have it like that. Mark Curry had a bunch of other projects going on for awhile too then I think he had some personal problems. Really all the actors in this show except for the guy who played Tyler and Sandra Quarterman are people who seem to keep popping up in different things- Quarterman may not be able to get parts and the guy who played Tyler may not be seen by his own choosing.

TVFactFan
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
He's been in a bunch of things since Smart Guy although the shows- Barbershop, Playmakers etc etc get cancelled. He's like Holly Robinson-Peete- someone who even if the show gets cancelled they have nine lives and he keeps showing up in something else. Some people in Hollywood just have it like that. Mark Curry had a bunch of other projects going on for awhile too then I think he had some personal problems. Really all the actors in this show except for the guy who played Tyler and Sandra Quarterman are people who seem to keep popping up in different things- Quarterman may not be able to get parts and the guy who played Tyler may not be seen by his own choosing.

i would like to see what tyler looks like now

waichingliu81
01-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I wonder how much Dawnn Lewis was like the characters she played? She always came across as kind of pissed off in almost everything I've seen her act in- maybe she was difficult to work with and they fired her for it? Sandra Quarterman was much more pleasant, but rather dull in comparison. I'm much more acquainted with seasons 2-5 but it seems like Robin was a character with much more spine to her and thus year one was probably the best season. Raven Symone is much more bearable here than in her other series where she's way over the top. I'm wondering why Nell Carter left- didn't she have a substance abuse problem? Omar Gooding was actually the best supporting player in this series to me- a breakout performer who in part because of who his family is has been working steadily for many years but really came into his own on this show.

dawn lewis, pissed? she didn't come across as being pissed on this show, or on a different world. geneva reminded me of the second vivian on the fresh prince- bland, boring and had nothing to offer in the show. i didn't like PJ-she was too stubborn and brash and so i was glad when she went. omar was good fun to watch although it is such a shame that with the other characters, we didn't get to see his character develop throughout, mainly as the series was cancelled by the end of the fourth season

Furienna
01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think Geneva was as boring as the second Vivian. At least, Geneva didn't just sit around looking pretty.

TVFactFan
01-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't think Geneva was as boring as the second Vivian. At least, Geneva didn't just sit around looking pretty.

That would been hard for Geneva to do because she wasn't pretty-lol

Furienna
01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Awww, that's a harsh thing to say. It's not like she's ugly or anything!

TVFactFan
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Awww, that's a harsh thing to say. It's not like she's ugly or anything!

Saying someone is NOT pretty doesn't mean they are ugly. Examples below of women in sitcoms who were not pretty and not ugly either

First Vivian on Fresh Prince
Dawn Lewis
Max on Living Single
Kim on A Different World