PDA

View Full Version : Is that Miss Landers selling Newport Filter Cigarettes ?

sally mander
09-22-2006, 10:04 PM
I found this this morning..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b6ypuQO941A

sure looks like Sue Randall ( Miss Landers ) puffing away.

Tweety
09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Good eye! I'll bet that is her...

Randall did smoke (a lot) in real life, and eventually passed away in 1984. She died of cancer.

I think that someone on a thread here (quite a while ago) mentioned that they either spoke to Randall themselves or heard an interview with her late in Randall's life, and her voice really sounded bad...she may have already been suffering from the cancer at that time..

She was only 49 when she passed away... What a beauty she was! :crying:

howilu
09-26-2006, 01:47 AM
How sad to read that Sue Randall, who played lovely Miss Landers died at 49 from cancer after years of heavy smoking.

David VP
09-26-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't think it's Sue Randall in that cigarette ad. There's a resemblance, yes. But I don't think it's Sue.

Tweety
09-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I just watched it again... I think it really, really looks like it's her.

It's too bad there are no speaking parts in the commercial, so we could hear her voice.

Madame X
09-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks Sally Mander for the cool commercial. I agree with David VP that it's not Sue Randall. It looks a lot like her. If you pause on the last scene when you see her from the front, her mouth, nose and chin are different. The eyes and hair are a match, though. If it is her, how ironic is it to see her happily enjoying what killed her?

Mrs. Periwinkle
09-30-2006, 01:53 PM
She does look very similar...could be her!

joan davis fan
09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I would say there is a 85% that was Sue Randall in the Newport ad. No way to be totally sure since she doesn't speak in the ad but if I were to bet money on this, I would say it is.

Yeah, she looks a bit different here than she was as Beaver's teacher but then again this ad ran in 1961, some years after she was no longer seen on Beaver. Plus one has to factor in make-up, lighting of the set and such which I assume is different between the two. Leave It To Beaver was shot on a professional set, I have doubts the same could have been said for this Newport ad even though Newport Cigarettes were known to have better than average production values than the other ads of its time. Check out the other Newport ads on You Tube and you can see what I am talking about. Many of them would still work today if Newport could still advertise on TV.

Madame X
09-30-2006, 08:33 PM
How can we find out if it really is her?

joan davis fan
10-01-2006, 11:55 PM
How can we find out if it really is her?

I doubt we would really know for sure.

For starters who do you ask? Randall died in 1984. Newport Cigarettes? Yes, they are still being made but this is a commercial that was done over 40 years ago. Besides chances are they paid some agency to do this ad and if that was the case then it was the agency who hired the actors, not Newport so they wouldn't have a record of it.

And chances are the ad agency themselves is now defunct as is the case with many of the ads from the 50s and 60s even the 70s which explains why many of these ads fell into public domain which is a good thing in itself since we can still see them.

ah..we can only guess if that really was Miss Landers.