PDA

View Full Version : THE MATLOCK WOMEN

BURBANKBOB
09-16-2006, 11:00 AM
During the eleven years that Matlock was on the air four women played his
assistants - Linda Purl, Nancy Stafford, Brynn Thayer and Carol Huston. I've
always wondered how they got along with Andy Griffith and if he had a favorite among them. I liked them all and they all brought something new to the show, but my favorite was Brynn Thayer. She and Andy seemed to have
a certain kind of chemistry that he lacked with the other three. Does anyone know why Nancy Stafford left the show? I remember reading somewhere that
the reason Keene Holiday left the series was that there was bad blood between him and Andy.

Scoobiedoo30
09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
I did not know that was The reason why Ken Holiday Left Matlock because there was bad Blood between Ken and Andy

Bonnie123
11-04-2006, 07:48 PM
new Yahoo group called The Matlock Women. I's great!!!!

ClassicTVGal
02-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh cool. Oh I never knew that. Yeah, Brynn's probably my favorite too. :D I need to go check out that group!

Scoobiedoo30
02-13-2007, 03:45 PM
if my memory is Correct I think Bryann was in a movie with Chuck Norris but I am not sure witch movie it was

ClassicTVGal
02-13-2007, 04:05 PM
new Yahoo group called The Matlock Women. I's great!!!!

I was just on Yahoo and didn't find it. I'll try again, though.

ClassicTVGal
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
if my memory is Correct I think Bryann was in a movie with Chuck Norris but I am not sure witch movie it was

An hour or so ago I looked up her on IMDB and I'm looking again to see for you...

Ah, was it called, "Hero and the Terror" from 1988?

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=3298

Scoobiedoo30
02-13-2007, 04:23 PM
thanks I belived it aired on WGN

ClassicTVGal
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks I belived it aired on WGN

welcome ah okay neat

biffbronson
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Bringing back an old thread --

I've been watching the episodes again and here is what I think of the Matlock women:

Linda/Charlene: Probably the most pretty face of all. Her character is an appealing mix of pleasantness with just a little feisty nature at times. Deserves credit for a solid performance and helping get the series off to a good start. Linda did not seem as comfortable in the series as the others, though. Outfitted nicely overall, but I preferred her with longer hair (like she had on Happy Days).

Julie/Julie: A perfect choice for prosecuting D.A. and a great addition to the cast. Worked very well as Ben's girlfriend -- great chemistry between Andy and her. Good to see someone of her age group in an important role. Julie Sommars is one of the better all-time TV people as far as overall ability. Julie is also well-known for her carefully coiffed red hair!

Nancy/Michelle: Nancy was a key addition to the series. Beautiful and confident in her character, she was just the absolute right person as attorney Michelle. Nancy interacted very effectively with all cast and guests. Outfits tended to be too conservative for her, but nonetheless usually striking, and the professional look was sometimes supplemented with blue jeans. Her "big hair" look could have been better at times, but was preferable to the short cut she received prior to leaving the series -- and Nancy did have all the attributes of a model, such as a lovely face and attractive hair. (In answer to the question of the OP, Nancy's departure had to do with the change of filming location, IIRC.)

Brynn/Leanne: Brynn did some fine work on the series. As with Nancy, her outfits tended to be a little dowdy and plain, not giving her a chance to look her best. Her character was written as a little too harsh, especially in how she treated Les (Don Knotts). But she brought us a character with great confidence and a committed approach that exceeded what had been previously established on Matlock. Although Leanne as a character tends to be eclipsed by Michelle when people think back on the series, the Leanne period was very significant and memorable in its own right. Brynn showed very good dramatic range, such as in the episode in which her diary is stolen. Brynn's long hair suited her, but we rarely had a chance to see it worn 100% loosely.

Carol/Jerri: Underrated as far as appeal, partly because the very late episodes are not appreciated as compared with earlier seasons. Carol too was beautiful and stepped into her role comfortably. Once again the outfits could have been better, although scripts did not call for Jerri to be "dressed up" all that often. But one could become lost in her long, beautiful brunette hair with bangs -- very cute.

One thing to watch for: On so many episodes, at least one woman wears a bright blue blazer/jacket. Linda and Nancy probably the most. It's an inside thing, I suppose.

Finally, I wanted to add that both Brynn and Nancy had appeared in other roles on Matlock prior to their permanent ones -- and it's a shame that both of them were wearing more attractive outfits and hairstyles BEFORE they got their permanent roles...!

Scoobiedoo30
12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I think Nancy was on one episode when Brynn Joiend The Show

ThomasE
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I have to go to that webpage and check it out. My favorite was Leanne. How was she with Don Knott's character Les Calhoun. I missed the eps with her having scenes with him.

catlover79
05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Nancy Stafford - hands down.

biffbronson
11-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Kari Lizer, who played young Cassie Phillips, should also be mentioned -- she was one of the featured cast members circa Season 2. If I'm not mistaken, she is currently the producer and creator of The New Adventures of Old Christine. She was a lovely youngster on Matlock (I think she was around 25 or 26 years old actually).

Ryan Chamberlain
08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
My favorite was Brynn as well! :)

I loved her as LeeAnn. I wish she had stayed on one more season.

I'm kinda digging the Carol/Jerri episodes as well now that I'm getting a chance to see them as an and fulling processing them (I watched as a kid. But, haven't seen these since. Until now)

biffbronson
06-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Kari Lizer as Cassie:

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/tve73344-19870922-218.jpg

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/tve73344-19880202-218.jpg

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/tve73344-19880209-218.jpg

Oh yeah, baby. If there were only a few things I could change about Matlock history, one would be for her to have continued.

And have a look at the beautiful face of Linda Purl as Charlene:

http://j.static-locatetv.com/images/content/4/44510_matlock.jpg

These attorney-type women can look over my "briefs" any day of the week!

As we've passed the quarter-century mark since Matlock debuted, it just doesn't seem that long ago that I began being wowed by the show's women in first-run primetime.

biffbronson
07-31-2014, 03:38 AM
Have a look at this "big hair" photo -- I think this is about as long as it ever got on the series for Nancy Stafford ("Michelle Thomas"), SEXY!:

http://timstvshowcase.com/matlock5.jpg

As this 2011 photo reveals, Nancy hasn't been adverse to wearing relatively long hair:

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/nancy_stafford_2011_02_20.jpg

I just saw Kari Lizer on Who's the Boss (1987 ep) and she was smokin' hot. Nice look for her hair, braided.

king of comedy
07-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Wow!! I've hardley watched the but after seeing these pictures, I want to get the dvds.