PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Bright

Babydollz24
07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Did anyone ever update this case? Just wondering if this boy was ever found? if not, what is your theory about what happened to him?

LooksLikeCRicci
07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't think there has been an update. I personally think that Bright was fatally injured as the result of a shooting and his body was buried in the woods.

You'd think that after all this time, SOMEONE would have said something about the murder to someone else. I don't think it's possible that Jeremy would have ran off to join the carnival, but this is only my opinion.

kadrmas15
07-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I dont think he joined a carnival either. I think he either died of a heart problem caused by an illegal drug put in the beer or he was shot and succumbed to his injuries a few days later. The same two or three guys showed up in all the scenario, they seemed like total sleezes. They said one of those guys was later arrested and sent to prison for an unrelated murder. I think the latter is what happened, that he was shot either by accident or intentionally and then those guys panicked and took him to a cabin hoping he would get better but he didnt. I think they did bury him in a shallow grave near the cabin as that inmate said he had heard, however I think those guys got word of what the inmate said before the cops had a chance to search and I think they very well could have dug up the body and moved it somewhere else. Either that or the cops just missed it. That one dude being covered with blood and it didnt register to call the cops to look into it? I am sorry, but if I saw a guy covered in blood I think I would call someone to look into it. My feeling is people in this town know what happened, I think more people know than what the cops even though, however I think everyone was so afraid of having these guys seek revenge on them that no one would come forward.

Kane
07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Something unfortunate happened that caused him to disappear, and I don't think he did so willingly. The theory of him having been fatally injured by a gunshot is disturbing, but sounds at least partially plausible. I think he's dead and buried somewhere. If that is the case, the only reason I can think of as to why he was never found was because his body is buried in a place that was not searched at all or vigorously enough.

kadrmas15
07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah it doesnt look good, he is still on the DOE network. Obviously to this day there are people that know what happened there that arent talking. Either because they dont want to get in trouble either with the cops or with the guys that killed Jeremy. Just horrible. I think those guys were joking around and shooting into the water to scare the kids and I think they hit Jeremy accidently and they panicked and took him to a cabin to try to nurse him back to health but he died. I know his mom said she had heard a rumor that he lived for two weeks after he disappeared. Here is the link to his profile on the doe network. There are definitly more questions than answers in this case.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/38dmor.html

kadrmas15
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Here is a couple other links:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bright_jeremy.html

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/MCC/bright_jeremy.shtml

DarkDante
07-27-2006, 12:40 AM
File this along with the case of Jennifer Pratt under "cases that should've been solved a long time ago"

A point of interest it now 20 years since Jeremy Bright vanished at the Coos County Fair which is actually taking place right now as we speak (7-25-06-7-29-06)

Eerily similar to Mr. Sova

Kane's theory based on the UM broadcast is plausible but there is also another theory that Jeremy might have met a similar fate as been lauded about as an explanation of what happened to Mr. Kurt Sova.

There was another theory advanced that Jeremy (as did Sova) attended a party the night he vanished in which he may have overdosed on some type of drug perhaps not even knowing he had taken it (it was surmised that Bright may have had something slipped into his drink)

If this is true it is very easy to see the same exact thing that is suspected of having to Kurt Sova, happened to Bright with the difference being that the people who were with Bright at that party did a better job of hiding the body.

----

What is really odd about this case is its possible Jeremy's own friends might have some information that would be helpful to authorities. Brights' friend Johnny Fish (yeah thats actually his name!) shortly after Bright vanished arrived at his sister's apartment terrified and panic stricken but refused to explain why or at least UM didn't elaborate on it.

Also it is likely in this case that Jeremy's friends and family know exactly who may have harmed Jeremy but lack the evidence to say their name publically. In fact another one of Brights' friends ran into one of the suspects (referred in the segment as "neighborhood guy") shortly after Jeremy vanished and he was soaked with blood.

Also one other question nags at me regarding the possibility of Bright being shot while swimming in the Coquille River and that the rumor was that the men who shot Bright harassed not only Bright but some other teens at that location and then they accidently shot Bright.

Well there would be witnesses to this shooting then right?

Any thoughts folks?

Thinman
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Watching this segment makes me so angry at the residents of Myrtle Point. If either scenario proposed by UM is true, there are multiple witnesses who know exactly what happened to Jeremy. I can understand and sympathize with the youths who were intimidated by the local roughnecks back in 1986 and were hesitant to tell the story. But, why not come forward now? Or, why hasn't anyone made an anonymous call to the police or written a letter? Shame on everyone who has kept Jeremy from having a proper burial and for letting his family go through hell for twenty years. You also let some vicious thugs go completely unpunished.

jeeps
07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I just feel so sorry for his mother. You can see the despair. I just hope someone comes forward to give that family some peace.

Those traveling summer fairs always gave me the heebie-jeebies. Inevitably whenever one was in our town someone always went "missing". Most times the person went willingly but not always. Needless to say the town council refused them permits...no more summer carnivals.

jeeps

kadrmas15
07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the residents of Myrtle Point should be ashamed. These guys with the exception of the one that was arrested for another murder were allowed to walk free. If they had been turned in maybe that future murder wouldnt have happened? Those guys were scum, they were kind of like the town bullies and every one was scared to death of them it seemed because no one would turn them in. Even the inmate that told the story didnt give up names. It just seemed like everyone was so scared of these guys they werent willing to give them up even after they murdered a 14 year old boy for no reason. It is very sad and after 20 years I would hope that someone would finally come forward and get the right people behind bars on that case.

DarkDante
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
^ Well actually they did give names, Jeremy's mother actually has a pretty good idea who these men are but not enough evidence to connect them to the disappearance and possible murder of her son. In a lot of these cases (such as Tommy Burkett and Jenny Pratt) there are several strong suspects but just not enough evidence to accuse them of the crime or "say their name publically".

Its a frustrating spot to be in to say the least.

boco357
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Classic Stack line..."They're not talking, but they know."

AVERMAN
01-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Just saw this segment on YouTube. When did this segment originally air?? Stacky looks so young in the intro.

Although all the rumours of Jeremy's disappearance are just that, rumours, i believe the "target practice" rumour seems to be the plausible one only because his friend's sister ran into the guy with blood on his shirt.

Any news on this case?

wiseguy182
01-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Just saw this segment on YouTube. When did this segment originally air?? Stacky looks so young in the intro.

Although all the rumours of Jeremy's disappearance are just that, rumours, i believe the "target practice" rumour seems to be the plausible one only because his friend's sister ran into the guy with blood on his shirt.

Any news on this case?

It originally aired in the fall of 1988, when UM first became a regular series. I don't know if I would call Stack exactly young at the point, but he was definitely younger when compared to most UM segments.

Bright has never resurfaced and no one has been charged. The main suspect (or one of the main suspects) - that popped up in all of the scenarios and who Bright's mother referred to as "people who aren't exactly pillars of society" was eventually imprisoned for another murder, but they haven't been able to link him to this case, at least not yet. They never mentioned his name.

This is kind of like the Jenny Pratt case where you probably have a lot of people who know exactly happened, but "aren't talking" (as Stack correctly pointed out.) The whole 'running away with the carnival' theory is so far-fetched IMO it's almost laughable. As much as I wish it didn't happen, I think Jeremy was murdered, and the people that I mentioned in the above paragraph were probably the ones responsible.

I do wish they could have talked more to Jeremy's friend, who is only mentioned in the segment vaguely. The one that probably saw what happend, and who either blacked out or was suffering from convlusions around the time Jeremy disappeared. He could be another "Brian" in that he was a friend of the victim who knew what happened, but for some reason won't come forward.

Awsi Dooger
01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
AVERMAN is a terrific barometer. Whenever I see his name as the most recent post, bumping an old thread, I know the case has been Tubed.

Dislimb
02-01-2007, 03:30 AM
AVERMAN is a terrific barometer. Whenever I see his name as the most recent post, bumping an old thread, I know the case has been Tubed.

Co-sign.

AVERMAN
02-01-2007, 09:35 AM

No, it's an illuuuuuuuusion, wooooooo!!!!

kadrmas15
02-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes, sadly Jeremy was most likely murdered. What I still cant figure out though is why these pathetic people would want to murder a 14 year old boy. If it was in fact the shooting thing at the swimming hole than it might not have been intentional but these guys were just being jerks and were just shooting their gun aimlessly and hit him. It is just amazing to me how people are so scared of some of these people that they do not rat them out even after over 20 years. But as we have seen with Gus Hoffman some of these people want to help but are just scared to death of the people that actually did the killing.

DarkDante
02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
^ Well I'm not sure if thats the way it went down (with Jeremy dying due to being shot in the swimming hole although I'm leaning towards that possibility)

But if watching "Alpha Dog" and following the JJH case closely for the past few years has taught me anything is that young people when confronted with a dire situation that may have begun rather benignly when compared with the final result, (JJH for example probably didn't intend for Nick Markowitz to be killed from the moment he abducted him and these local toughs probably didn't go down to the swimming hole intending to murder someone that day) will usually attempt to save their own hides rather than attempt to rectify the situation.

This dogma leads to a lot of "Unsolved Mysteries" cases ranging from Jeremy Bright to JJH to Kurt Sova to Jenny Pratt. All of these tragedies could've easily been avoided if one of these kids had slowed down and said "Hey this probably isn't the best idea here" (this is especially true in the JJH & Jenny Pratt cases where juvenile antics, esclated and went horribly, horribly wrong)

In the case of Jeremy Bright I can easily see these fools going down to the swimming hole, trying to torment some younger kids, thinking that they wouldn't hurt anyone but could just throw a scare into them by shooting indiscriminately into the water. The problem was that they screwed up and someone got seriously hurt and eventually died due to their actions.

I'm sure that these fools may have tried to nurse Jeremy back to health and maybe even felt extreme remorse after the fact but would not take him for medical attention or turn themselves in because nobody wants to face life in prison or the gas chamber.

If the other theory brought forth in the segment (Bright overdosing at a party after having a beer laced with a drug) is true then I can easily see a similar thing occuring where Bright is given this laced beer (or some type of drug) and due to his heart problems drops dead at the party. The other kids at the party panic, the people who gave him the beer obviously panic because now they are looking at murder charges, the host of the party is panicing because there are laws regarding serving alcohol to minors in your home of course now compounded with the fact that this kid has just died from a drug overdose.

I'm sure everyone at that party was horrified and it probably haunts them to this day. But I'm sure that some sort of pact was made that everyone kept their mouth shut on what happened and they probably disposed of Jeremy's body that night. I can see a very similar thing happening to Kurt Sova, with the only difference between the two cases being that whomever was resposible for Kurt's death wanted his body found for whatever reason.

There is certainly a line that can be drawn between the actions (or rather reaction) of JJH and his friends after they found out they could go to jail due to their kidnapping of Nick Markowitz and the actions of the kids in the Pratt, Sova and Bright segments and that is total panic. The kids did a stupid thing which ended up in a horrible ending far worse then they could've imagined. These kids were all around the same age and nobody wants to throw their life away at 17 and end up spending the bulk of their adult life in prison (or worse be sent to death) for one stupid action.

So...they cover it up. The only difference in these earlier cases vs. the JJH case is there isn't a "Susan Hartunian" to rat the entire gang out after the fact which would lead to some arrests. In the case of Bright of course some physical evidence would also have to be found to prove that Bright is dead of course to bolster any type of accusation.

PS: You can add Russ Evans to the aforementioned. Even though I didn't get into it - I'm sure he died as a result of some bonehead kids too.

DarkDante
02-06-2007, 02:03 AM
I just rewatched this case and I have to wonder if Johnny Fish knows more than he is telling? - He returned to his sister's apartment overwrought with fear but didn't want to explain?

Why not? - Its interesting this avenue was not explored more throughly. It had to have been of some importance to be included in the segment.

crystaldawn
02-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Love your avatar Dante....finally a UM themed one!! :lol:

LooksLikeCRicci
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I know his avatar is UM-themed, but I'm having problems placing who they are... they look awfully familiar, though...

crystaldawn
02-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I know his avatar is UM-themed, but I'm having problems placing who they are... they look awfully familiar, though...

Well if you look closely you'll see the one on the right looks VERY familiar...:lol:

DarkDante
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
^ Stop telling tales Crystaldawn, those two pictures are there together just by coincidence...just by coincidence

kadrmas15
02-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Haha, Dante, nice, Danny Wheeler aka "just by coincidence, just by coincidence, sure it was, sure it was, and I'm Michael Jordan too, I used to play for the Chicago Bulls."

LooksLikeCRicci
02-07-2007, 02:47 AM
DANNY WHEELER! I initially thought it was my buddy Paul Pollis, but I couldn't figure out WHY Michael Jordan was in the picture with him.

That's bad ass, Dark Dante. Well done. :)

Awsi Dooger
02-07-2007, 02:52 AM
UM should update that segment also; "...I used to play for the Washington Wizards."

SP4CE INV4DERZ
02-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Yes it's a good avatar DarkDante. I got a confession tho, I hate basketball so when I first saw it, I immediately recognized Wheeler and I wondered for a while who the other guy was. :lol: :o

The Third Man
03-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi...my wife and I have been fans of Unsolved Mysteries for years, and we've been re-introduced to the show in a way by the YouTube postings.

We watched the Jeremy Bright segment tonight, and we were both struck by something. Jeremy Bright's mom said that his stepdad hadn't seen him in two days before she came to find him. Now my wife has a son and daughter from a previous marriage; though they aren't 14, I can't imagine that we'd be too happy if their dad had one of them for a visit and when we came to pick them up his response was "Oh, I don't know, I haven't seen them for two days."

Jeremy Bright's mom also said that when she came to pick him up, his wallet and digital watch were in the house (I assume the stepdad's house). Now back then digital watches were really expensive and teenage boys (like myself at the time) treated them like gold. I can't imagine that he would have gone to the fair or anywhere else without those two items.

The stories of "neighborhood thugs" don't seem valid to us. Frankly they sound like BS made up by local kids: they're three completely different stories ("drugged at a party!" "shot at the swimming hole!" "beat up somehow!"). The fact that one or more local thugs seem to appear in more than one story doesn't mean much. It sounds like a set of rumors that took off: "Hey, maybe that mean guy had something to do with it! Wonder how it happened!" Finally, in both of the fleshed-out stories (the party and the swimming hole) there were a lot of people around. Eventually people talk: they move away or they stand up to the toughs. I have a hard time believing that nobody has spoken up in years.

To us the most likely theory is this: the stepdad had something to do with it. The most likely explanation for Jeremy's wallet and watch being at the stepdad's house is that that's the last place he was. Even the most lax of non-custodial parents is going to notice a missing 14-year-old, so why didn't he report the missing kid earlier? We thought it was also telling that the stepdad didn't contribute to the segment--you'd think that the last person in the family known to have seen someone alive would be willing to talk. As for Jeremy's friend being "scared" on the night Jeremy went missing: I have an easier time believing that he saw the stepdad do something to Jeremy. No wonder he wouldn't talk to the other family members!

Sorry for the long post, but I have a hard time buying the "neighborhood toughs" theory. If the various "unnamed" witnesses had come up with one story, sure. But two or three different ones? At least one of them is lying through their teeth...and probably all of them are.

DarkDante
03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
^ I need to re-watch the segment again but I've always noticed there was something funny regarding the timeline of events in this case from when Jeremy went missing to what was plausible regarding exactly HOW he went missing.

Has it ever been determined what time exactly Jeremy went missing - I remember the segment noting that Jeremy and his friend Johnny Fish were last seen walking around the fair before Jeremy disappeared but what time was this? - Was it during the day or in the evening.

There seem to be some obvious holes here in the timeline of events.

The Third Man
03-21-2007, 09:13 PM
I remember the segment noting that Jeremy and his friend Johnny Fish were last seen walking around the fair before Jeremy disappeared but what time was this? - Was it during the day or in the evening. The segment depicted the party as being at night, and the "swimming hole" scenario as during the day. Of course those reconstructions might not be 100% accurate...

wiseguy182
03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
The Third Man: wow, you just blew my mind! I had never thought of the stepfather angle until you said something. But now that you mention it, that is very possible. It DOES seem weird that Jeremy would leave his digital watch and wallet behind. Carnivals are quite expensive (at least the concessions are) so it does seem weird that Jeremy wouldnt' have taken his wallet.

And it is possible that all of the rumors regarding Jeremy's disappearance being attibuted to the teenage toughs killing him one way or another could be just that: rumors. There have been many cases where people come forward with "evidence" that turns out to be phony and the people that supplied it just wanted to feel important.

That also might explain why Jeremy's body has never been found.

However, I'm wondering why Jeremy's mother seems convinced that it's the neighborhood toughs and not Jeremy's stepdad.

DarkDante
03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I want to know what the heck Johnny Fish was so overwrought and terrified about when he turned up at his sister's apartment after Jeremy went missing. We never did find this out in the segment - its just sorta left there out in the open for what reason I don't know.

The problem I have with the stepfather being involved is from what we know about this case, it seems that Jeremy had a good enough relationship with his stepfather and grandmother to stay with them during the fair. If Jeremy had a bad relationship with that side of his family I doubt his mother would allow him to stay with them. Therefore what could be a possible motive in them killing him? - It just sounds too far fetched based on the evidence we have. Instead of going from Point A - Point B - We'd have to go from Point A - Point B - Point C - Point D and we simply don't have that information at our fingertips at the moment to determine any anomosity between Jeremy Bright and his stepfather.

That being said, I don't think the incident at the swimming hole was the way it went down. I think Jeremy Bright possibly overdosed on some type of drug and the people who were with him on that night got rid of his body somewhere.

wiseguy182
03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I want to know what the heck Johnny Fish was so overwrought and terrified about when he turned up at his sister's apartment after Jeremy went missing. We never did find this out in the segment - its just sorta left there out in the open for what reason I don't know.

The problem I have with the stepfather being involved is from what we know about this case, it seems that Jeremy had a good enough relationship with his stepfather and grandmother to stay with them during the fair. If Jeremy had a bad relationship with that side of his family I doubt his mother would allow him to stay with them. Therefore what could be a possible motive in them killing him? - It just sounds too far fetched based on the evidence we have. Instead of going from Point A - Point B - We'd have to go from Point A - Point B - Point C - Point D and we simply don't have that information at our fingertips at the moment to determine any anomosity between Jeremy Bright and his stepfather.

That being said, I don't think the incident at the swimming hole was the way it went down. I think Jeremy Bright possibly overdosed on some type of drug and the people who were with him on that night got rid of his body somewhere.

Some good observations there. However, maybe that was how the stepfather had it planned all along. If he does something to estrange himself from Jeremy and his mother, then he would have been an immediate suspect. If he gets along with them real well, he's more likely to be able to deflect a good deal of the focus off of him and on to other possibilities: like the toughs theory.

I too wonder why the Johnny Fish seizure incident wasn't gone over in more deatil.

The Third Man
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Lexis-Nexis didn't pull up much on Jeremy Bright, but here's the name of the "neighborhood thug" who kept popping up in the stories, and who was arrested for an unrelated murder.

The Oregonian January 20, 1989

Friday, January 20, 1989 PROGRAM STIRS CALLS ON CASES

TEXT:

A pair of segments aired on the television show ``Unsolved Mysteries'' Wednesday have produced a flood of calls and some possible leads into the disappearance of an Oregon youth and the disappearance of a fishing boat off the Oregon coast in 1986.

``Unsolved Mysteries'' filmed four segments in Oregon last summer involving cases in Medford, Myrtle Point and Port Orford. One case, involving former Medford resident and alleged embezzler Steven Cox, was solved after the segment on his case aired in December. He was arrested a short time later in Nevada as a result of a tip from someone who had seen the show.

Wednesday night, the show aired a segment on the disappearance of Jeremy Bright of Myrtle Point, who was last seen at the Coos County Fair Aug. 14, 1986. Also aired Wednesday was the case of the missing fishing vessel Liebling, which reportedly sank off the south coast of Oregon with five crew members on board Aug. 27, 1986.

David Rajter, a teleconference administrator for the show, said the ``Unsolved Mysteries'' toll-free line received about 40 calls on both cases Wednesday night and some additional calls Thursday morning.

``Some look promising but we won't know until we begin to follow up with the police,'' Rajter said.

Coos County Sheriff's Lt. Bob Green said his office also received a number of calls on Jeremy Bright, who was 14 when he disappeared from the county fair in Coquille in 1986.

``We received several calls both last night and this morning,'' Green said. ``Two or three look promising so we're going to follow up on those.''

Bright was separated from his sister at the Coos County Fair and was last seen in Myrtle Point the evening of Aug. 14. No trace of the boy has ever been found, but local rumors, protrayed in the show, say Bright may have been murdered or killed accidentally and then buried.

A suspect in the case emerged a few days before Wednesday's show aired. Terry Lee Steinhoff of Myrtle Point, who was sentenced Tuesday to a minimum of 10 years for the stabbing death of Patricia Morris, was a former baby-sitter for Bright and allegedly was at a party rumored to be the last place Bright was seen alive.

Green confirmed that Steinhoff had been interviewed in connection with Bright's disappearance and that his name continues to surface in the investigation, but there are no hard facts or evidence linking him to the case.

The Liebling case involves the disappearance of ``Red'' Dixon, his three sons and another deckhand off the Oregon coast Aug. 27, 1986.

Dixon was reportedly taking his boys, ages 6, 14 and 18, on a fishing trip when the boat allegedly sank in calm seas off Port Orford. Also on board was deckhand Mike Georgen. Dixon was supposed to return the boys to their home in Crescent City, Calif., where they lived with his former wife, Pamela Straight.

The boat sank in an area where other boats were operating but no trace, no debris and no diesel spill ever was sighted. The vessel never has been located.

One theory, mentioned in the show, suggested that Dixon took the boat and his boys to South America, where they may be living today. Family and friends of Georgen say he would not have gone along with a plan to take the boys from her mother.

hostedbyrobertstack
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
^^^ I never knew that the "suspect" mentioned in all the scenarios of jeremy bright was actually his former babysitter?? what...that changes that story a lot in my mind. The person actually knew him personally and closely, strange. Also, that tip of his body being buried in the woods seemed reliable, but they never found anything. Although, with many UM cases, it seems that police search certain areas and find nothing, then later on there is an update saying they found the remains in the same area they had previously looked. So who knows.

wiseguy182
03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Good investigative work there, Third Man.

The article mentions Jeremy being separated from his sister. Oddly enough, the UM segment doesn't even mention a sister. They make it sound like he headed off with Johnny Fish and was never seen again.

DarkDante
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I think the segment in fact does make mention that Jeremy had a sister at least once by name. Something like "the week of the fair Jeremy and his younger sister were staying at their stepdad's Ollie's house" - In addition Diane mentioned that on arriving at Myrtle Point she went directly to Ollies' "the kids and stepdad's house" *shrug* - minor nitpick.

Very interesting stuff Third Man, it also leads me more to believe that Bright certainly vanished due to this individual because we can now draw a connection between one of the last people to see Bright alive and someone he knew from his past.

DarkDante
03-23-2007, 03:56 AM
I thought it might be helpful to create a timeline of events regarding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright, because there are a number of dates and times thrown at the viewer during the segment and they all aren't in order so here goes:

The events surrounding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright run from Thursday August 14, 1986 - Sunday August 17, 1986:

Date: Thursday - August 14, 1986
Time: 4:45 PM
Event: Jeremy Bright places a phone call to his mother Diane, telling her that he is enjoying the fair and confirms a pick up time of Saturday August 16.

Date: Thursday - August, 14 1986
Time: 9:40 PM
Event: Jeremy makes contact with his stepfather and grandmother and borrows money from his stepfather. This is the last time Jeremy Bright is seen by his family.

TIME GAP: There is no information as far as tracking Jeremy Bright's movements after he left the Tavern. His whereabouts from Thursday evening post 9:40-Friday morning are still unknown. We can assume perhaps that Jeremy spent the night at his stepdad's house due to the reference that the next morning his stepdad left for work early and did not see Jeremy leave for the fair. However if we eliminate this assumption it is very possible that something could've happened to Jeremy on Thursday night. However the next day...

Date: Friday - August 15, 1986
Time: Unknown but we can assume it was during the day, possibly the afternoon hours
Event: Jeremy Bright and his friend Johnny Fish are sighted enjoying the festivities.

TIME GAP: Another gap in time occurs here in which we cannot track Jeremy's movements. This is the MOST LIKELY time that Jeremy disappeared and unfortunatley a large block of time from anytime in the afternoon on Friday until at least the pre dawn hours of Saturday August 16th can't be accounted for. Did Jeremy Bright somehow get seperated from Johnny Fish? Or was Johnny Fish present when something happened to Jeremy that caused his disappearance?

Date: Saturday - August 16, 1986
Time: 12:00-1:00 AM
Event: Cecilia Fish (Johnny's sister) and a friend encounter someone described as "neighborhood guy" drenched in blood. When they question him about the cause of all the blood, he is evasive.

Time: 1:30 AM
Event: Johnny Fish arrives at the same apartment complex where another one of his sisters lives. He is overwrought with fear but does not want to explain.

Date: Saturday - August, 16 1986
Time: We can assume mid-day is likely
Event: Diane Bright arrives to pick up her son. She notices that in the stepfather's house are Jeremy's wallet, keys and a new watch. Jeremy however never shows up.

Time: evening
Event: Diane contacts the police to report her son missing.

Date: Sunday - August, 17 1986
Time: throughout the day
Event: Coos County Fair shuts down

-----

My conclusion based on this timeline is something happened to Jeremy Bright (probably resulting in his death by what means I'm not sure) on Friday August 15, 1986 probably late in the evening. I believe that Johnny Fish was present at the time of Jeremy's disappearance/death and perhaps contains knowledge as to what in fact happened to him.

Some of you have brought up the possibility that the stepfather might have been responsible for Jeremy's death. While this is possible, this scenerio could only be put into play during the two "time gaps" as indicated above. If we can take the word of Johnny Fish that Jeremy was indeed still alive at least on the morning and throughout the day on Friday August 15th, then that eliminates one of the time gaps.

The key to solving this case lies in identifying where Jeremy was after the sightings at the fair on Friday. Did he strike out on his own away from his friends? - If so where did he go? - A party? The swimming hole? Back home? - It is very possible that Jeremy Bright in my opinion did make at least one stop back at his stepdad's home before he vanished to drop off his wallet and watch. Perhaps Jeremy had taken those items with him to the fair on Friday morning and returned sometime later in the day dropping them off before heading off to another destination.

Wherever Bright went or was after the sighting at the fair during the day on Friday likely resulted in his disappearance. But where did he go?

Thinman
03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
The watch and wallet being left in his room adds credence to the swimming hole theory. It is very plausible to leave those two items behind when engaging in an activity where one gets wet.

hostedbyrobertstack
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
The watch and wallet being left in his room adds credence to the swimming hole theory. It is very plausible to leave those two items behind when engaging in an activity where one gets wet.

I was just watching this segment again, and I was just going to post this same exact thing, ha. Because I carry my wallet EVERYWHERE with me, and I usually wear watches, but I know that when I have gone swimming, I take out my wallet(the only time) and off my watch and take out my keys, I usually put them all next to eachother somewhere(on top of a tv for example). Plus, the "jail" informant seemed to know something, I think his body is probably buried in those woods, I don't know how they could have searched 200 feet around the cabin all over.

wiseguy182
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I think the segment in fact does make mention that Jeremy had a sister at least once by name. Something like "the week of the fair Jeremy and his younger sister were staying at their stepdad's Ollie's house" - In addition Diane mentioned that on arriving at Myrtle Point she went directly to Ollies' "the kids and stepdad's house" *shrug* - minor nitpick.

whoops, am I bad? I must have thought the sister wasn't mentioned because we didn't see her. sorry about that.

hostedbyrobertstack
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
sorry to bring up an older topic, but i was watching this segment this morning and it still seems very odd that this case has never been solved after all of this time. I wonder if anyone involved in this case (cecilia or johnny fish) have ever looked up jeremy bright and come to this post. It would be interesting to get in contact with someone involved with the case. I wish i could just go out there and do my own investigation, ha.

boco357
01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I found a site where Jeremy's sister posted and said the main suspect had died in prison.

http://www.squidoo.com/pollyklaas/amissingchildjeremybright

Allierain
01-09-2008, 02:28 AM
You know, I've often wondered why a 14 year-old boy was out unsupervised like Jeremy was. Maybe I am being silly, and perhaps it was perfectly natural for a boy of his age to be off doing things on his own for days at a time. But it just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I wasn't allowed to be off by myself like that when I was that age.

Is there anyone else here who was?

boco357
01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
http://www.kval.com/news/local/10805116.html

Story Published: Oct 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM PST
By Tim Novotny
Coquille - Coos County investigators say the death in prison this week of Terry Lee Steinhoff could help bring closure to another case that dates back over 20 years.

On August 14, 1986, 14 year old Jeremy Bright was spending a day at the Coos County Fair. He hasn't been seen since.

Listed as a non-family abduction, investigators now say Terry Lee Steinhoff was a person of significant interest in the case, as he was one of the last people seen with Bright.

In 1988, Steinhoff killed a Coos Bay woman and was sent to prison, but he was eligible for parole.

Investigators believe some people stayed silent out of fear of Steinhoff and are hoping they will now come forward.

And in an e-mail to KCBY on Thursday, Bright's younger sister S'te(pronounced ess-tee), also expressed the hope that anyone with information on his disappearance, or the location of his remains, will come forward so his family can put him to rest properly.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Jeremy Bright is asked to contact Detective Dan Looney, with the Coos County Sheriff's Office, at 396-3121 extension 378.

boco357
01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2007/07/29/breaking/tpn01072807.txt

Still missing after 21 years

By Carl Mickelson, Staff Writer
Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

Sitting in the kitchen of her Coos Bay home, Diane Beatty recalls the day, 21 years ago, that her 14-year-old son Jeremy Bright went missing from the Coos County Fair. No trace of the boy has been found since the day in August 1986 he was to meet up with his little sister at the fairgrounds in Myrtle Point. World Photo by Lou Sennick

Available in 10", 14", 20" & 30", framed or unframedAdvertisement
EASTSIDE - If there's a month that Diane Beatty would like back, it would be August 1986. It was then that her 14-year-old son, Jeremy Bright, went to the Coos County Fair and vanished from the earth.

“He was here for a week during the fair,” Beatty, 52, said from her Eastside home this week as she pored over photos of her missing son from a time when Pac-Man and Van Halen were all the rage. “He was only here for a week. If I would have said, ‘No,' about him coming up to the fair, I would still have him.”

But she didn't say no.

Who would? Jeremy and his 9-year-old sister S'te (the French abbreviation for Saint and pronounced “Ess-tee”), had both grown up in Myrtle Point and they loved the fair. Their stepfather, Orville “Ole” Gulseth of Myrtle Point, had offered to take them in for a week that summer.

“My brother and I never missed the fair,” said his sister S'te Elmore, who is now married and living in San Diego.

For that last year, Beatty and the children had been living in Grants Pass. Beatty and “Ole” were finished, and Beatty was carving a new life for herself so she wouldn't be tending bar the rest of her life.

“Instead of them veggin' in Grants Pass for a week, while I worked and went to school, I thought that would be a great little trip for them,” she said, noting the children's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all lived in Myrtle Point.

“I have regretted it ever since.”

qqq

On Aug. 14, Jeremy Bright will have been missing for 21 years - an eternity for his mother. For the Coos County Sheriff's Office, it's a missing person and potential homicide case.

Beatty and investigators hope that by bringing the incident back into the public eye, someone will come forward with a new clue, a new lead, or a confession.

“If it's something that hasn't been visited before, that might be the piece of the puzzle that we're missing,” said Beatty, who lives full-time in Florida but who has been coming back every summer since she moved away in 1998. “He's out here somewhere.”

While no one has ever been arrested in the case, dozens of people have been questioned, log and beaver ponds have been drained in search of his body, scuba divers have explored wells, swamps and rivers, and various potential gravesites across the county have been dug up.

“Anything that looked like it had any substance, we put every effort into it to try and either find something that would help, or put an end to that rumor,” said former Coos County investigator Craig Zanni, who worked the case from 1991 to 2004.

But so far - nothing.

“It's all been valleys,” Beatty said. “There have not been any peaks. We have found nothing.”

The case is still considered a missing person and potential homicide case, Zanni said. His former colleague who handles the case now, Coos County Det. Sgt. Dan Looney, agreed.

“We believe he is still in the county somewhere - not alive,” said Looney, who tracked down leads surrounding Jeremy as recently as last winter. The two investigators are convinced someone in the county knows exactly what happened to Jeremy that fateful night.

“I would be willing to put money on it,” Zanni said Thursday as he worked a booth at the fair.

While Beatty cradles a glimmer of hope that Jeremy will come around a corner some day, she knows the chance is slim.

But she can't help but hope.

“You see on the news they find people that had been gone for 10 years,” Beatty said, noting a recent case in Missouri.

But that case involved teenagers. She said she had her hopes up that when Jeremy turned 18, he might return. He would have turned 35 this past May.

“In my heart I don't believe he would have been gone this long, if he had any choice,” Beatty said. “Some day ... some day, that's my last wish: To find him.”

qqq

On Thursday, Aug. 14, 1986, Beatty spoke to Jeremy, her only son, for the last time. He was on a payphone outside McKay's Market in Myrtle Point and she was in Grants Pass. She promised to pick the two of them up Saturday. Jeremy told her about his trip so far, and that he was going to pick S'te up at the fair at 5 p.m. Elmore said her brother was supposed to meet her at the Ferris wheel.

“Jeremy never showed up,” Beatty said.

Before going to the police, Beatty and her family spent much of Saturday searching for him. The family plastered missing posters throughout Myrtle Point in coming weeks, Elmore said. Nearly everyone Beatty bumped into saw Jeremy on Thursday, but not Friday.

“It was like he was beamed up,” she said.

And ever since, the rumors about Jeremy's disappearance have swirled: He was abducted by a demented carnival worker; he was shot and buried in the hills or dumped in a pond by a local; he was drugged at a beer party and killed; he ran away with the carnival.

Shortly after he disappeared, Beatty contacted the Myrtle Point Police Department. The chief told her not to worry. Jeremy wasn't missing. He'd be back as soon as the fair rolled out of town.

“Well, evidently the fair isn't gone because he hasn't come back,” Beatty said dejectedly.

At the time, S'te remembers informing police that she had seen Jeremy talking to two guys whom she did not recognize.

“For whatever reason, the (officer) I talked to didn't believe me,” Elmore said. “They thought I was making up a story to help out. But, I had seen him leave with these people. He did.”

Beatty's never subscribed to the runaway theory. Jeremy was protective of his kid sister and never would have left her alone. Besides, he didn't take his wallet or extra clothes. Investigators don't buy the runaway theory either. They believe that, despite the passing of 21 years, some people of interest still aren't coming clean.

“They would rather not say anything than do the right thing,” Zanni said. “We have a bunch of people that aren't telling the police anything. They should come forward. The family at least deserves to know. To put Jeremy to rest - and the burden on the mom and the sister.”

Elmore said her family needs closure about Jeremy.

“After this many years it seems like somebody would be willing to say something,” Elmore said. “Even if it was just to (say) where Jeremy is. Even if they called it in anonymously and said, ‘This is where he is. This is where you can find him.'”

She wants people to come forward and clear their conscience.

“To live with that knowledge for 20 years, and not say anything, has got to be torture,” Elmore said.

qqq

In a small town like Myrtle Point in the 1980s, “where everybody knew everybody,” Beatty said, you could let a 14-year-old roam about. Especially one that was so popular and never got into trouble.

“He had run of the town since he was 5,” she said. “Everybody knew him.”

Beatty can't help but think that Jeremy may have died in some horrible manner. Elmore said at least one of Jeremy's close friends began having nightmares shortly after his disappearance, and has battled alcohol addiction ever since. Beatty believes the friend's problems stem from whatever happened to Jeremy.

Through the various interviews Zanni has conducted, he said he thinks Jeremy wasn't a bad kid, but may have been somewhat troubled due to the breakup in the family - what would be expected from “a family going through a divorce.”

Jeremy went missing the summer before entering high school. He had been a standout basketball player, a so-called “sixth man,” who wore a size 13 shoe. He was convinced he would make the team at his new school in Southern Oregon. Elmore said her brother also coached her basketball team at the Boys & Girls Club in Grants Pass and had never run away from home.

Beatty said Jeremy's grades had slumped somewhat in Grants Pass. They had moved there in the middle of his eighth-grade year. She chalked it up to him simply getting used to a new school setting. Wanting to help smooth the transition into high school, a few weeks before his disappearance, the two embarked on the proverbial clothes shopping spree. Jeremy picked out a pair of Levis, several button-down shirts and pair of black Nike tennis shoes with red shoe laces.

They're the same shoes he was last seen wearing and the ones listed since the 1980s on the poster declaring him a missing person.

qqq

After three months of hanging onto the case, Myrtle Point investigators turned it over to the Coos County Sheriff's Office, which Beatty said, tracked Jeremy's whereabouts through part of Aug. 15. Investigators won't reveal that information, but Zanni said some people of interest have never been cleared due to their lack of cooperation.

Investigators, Beatty and her family still hope one day the case will break, as it did, partially, with the case of Leah Freeman, a 15-year-old girl last seen alive in Coquille in 2000. A little more than a month after she disappeared, her body was found about nine miles east of Coquille. But police have yet to make an arrest in the case, due to lack of evidence.

While Beatty feels the Sheriff's Office has done everything it could on the case, she still can't help but express grave frustration over the lost time that transpired while the case was in the hands of the Myrtle Point Police Department.

“My personal opinion is that if (Myrtle Point Police officials) had turned it over three months earlier - we would have had a whole lot better chance of finding out what happened,” she said.

qqq

At the moment, Beatty said she is not looking for retribution, or justice - simply peace for herself, her family and Jeremy. Living with out knowing if your child is alive or dead is “indescribable,” she said, adding she was somewhat jealous the Freemans' had, at least a partial ending, however tragic.

“I just want most to put him to rest - his spirit, his soul,” she said. “My quest isn't to find the perpetrator. It's just to find him.”

qqq

In 1989, the Jeremy Bright case was featured on the national network television show “Unsolved Mysteries.” The segment still airs occasionally and the proposed scenarios are still bandied about by bloggers on the Internet.

Still, authorities and the family hope that one day the case will be cracked.

“I always hope that someone will think, ‘Well. OK, it's time for me to talk,'” Looney said.

- Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright is urged to contact Det. Sgt. Dan Looney at 396-3121 ext. 378.

crystaldawn
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow, great find Boco! I'm assuming he is the same man that RS referred to when he said at the end of the segment one of the suspects in the case had recently been arrested for an unrelated crime. I wonder if they know any other details about the case like an idea where Jeremy's body was placed and if his death was intentional or accidental.

I would certainly think it would be strange if Jeremy was allowed to be gone, without any word to his family, for several days as well Allierain.

joshypiano
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
You know, I've often wondered why a 14 year-old boy was out unsupervised like Jeremy was. Maybe I am being silly, and perhaps it was perfectly natural for a boy of his age to be off doing things on his own for days at a time. But it just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I wasn't allowed to be off by myself like that when I was that age.

Well my parents pretty much trusted me. I could go off and be at a friends or whatever for a few days at a time..as long as I phoned in once a day...or so.
But as for several days at a time. It feels a little weird to me, and kind of moves beyond trust to unattentive maybe. But if he was a good kid who never gave his family pause to be concerned, and the friends he was with were trusted by the family then it might not be so strange after all.

crystaldawn
01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
In 1989, the Jeremy Bright case was featured on the national network television show “Unsolved Mysteries.” The segment still airs occasionally and the proposed scenarios are still bandied about by bloggers on the Internet.

Could they be referring to us? :lol:

joshypiano
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, there is alot of bandying about being done here....so I'd say....
yes!

GaryJ06
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
hey maybe press is good (bandying about lol). i think it lets people know that there are those (i.e. us) that still care about what has happened after all these years

hostedbyrobertstack
01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
That is great to read! Interesting that his sister lives in SD and mom lives in FL. It's too bad they haven't come on this site and posted anything, especially if we were mentioned in that article. Anyways, this has always been one of the most interesting segments to me, and I am getting excited that it might be close to being solved. That would be great!

Ste-E
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
:wave: I don't even know where to start.

Thank you Bob for letting me know that this thread existed. This site has never come up in a search of my brothers name. Also thank you to all who are here. Just the fact that there are people out there who care that my brother is gone, that we are still searching for him, and want to see closure to this story means a lot. As I was reading through this thread the tears started falling. Sometimes it feels as if no one cares anymore or thinks about him.

So I guess I should introduce myself. I'm S'te, Jeremy's younger sister. I know that there are lots of questions regarding this case and feel free to ask me. If I know the answer then I'm willing to put it out there. I'll let you all ask the questions and then I'll quote them and answer so that it's in the same post for anyone else who is interested.

I know that Jeremy is most likely passed away. I've accepted that. Now I just want to know what happened to him. If anyone can help me find that answer I'd be forever grateful.

Please now that it may take me a little time to get back to you though. I am a mom to 10 kids, my hubby is in the Navy and we are in the midst of an arrest and subsequent proceedings having to do with the death of our beloved foster daughter.

I have lived through the loss of both a brother and a child. We are finally coming to a conclusion in our daughters death and it would be such WONDERFUL news if we could do the same, after all these years, with my brother also.

crystaldawn
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
:wave: I don't even know where to start.

Thank you Bob for letting me know that this thread existed. This site has never come up in a search of my brothers name. Also thank you to all who are here. Just the fact that there are people out there who care that my brother is gone, that we are still searching for him, and want to see closure to this story means a lot. As I was reading through this thread the tears started falling. Sometimes it feels as if no one cares anymore or thinks about him.

So I guess I should introduce myself. I'm S'te, Jeremy's younger sister. I know that there are lots of questions regarding this case and feel free to ask me. If I know the answer then I'm willing to put it out there. I'll let you all ask the questions and then I'll quote them and answer so that it's in the same post for anyone else who is interested.

I know that Jeremy is most likely passed away. I've accepted that. Now I just want to know what happened to him. If anyone can help me find that answer I'd be forever grateful.

Please now that it may take me a little time to get back to you though. I am a mom to 10 kids, my hubby is in the Navy and we are in the midst of an arrest and subsequent proceedings having to do with the death of our beloved foster daughter.

I have lived through the loss of both a brother and a child. We are finally coming to a conclusion in our daughters death and it would be such WONDERFUL news if we could do the same, after all these years, with my brother also.

Welcome, so glad to have you posting Ste-E! I guess if I had a question it would be concerning the possible suspect that recently died in prison. Do the police have any type of scenario as to why Jeremy may have been with him? I know in the UM re-enactment they theorize Jeremy swimming with some friends and some mental defect shooting into the water accidentally hitting Jeremy. Just curious if there have been any other theories brought to light about the night he went missing.

Sorry to hear about your child as well. Hope all your recent problems can be resolved quickly.

Ste-E
01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I guess if I had a question it would be concerning the possible suspect that recently died in prison. Do the police have any type of scenario as to why Jeremy may have been with him? I know in the UM re-enactment they theorize Jeremy swimming with some friends and some mental defect shooting into the water accidentally hitting Jeremy. Just curious if there have been any other theories brought to light about the night he went missing.

Terry Lee Steinhoff is the suspect who recently died in prison. He was serving a life sentence for stabbing a young mother of three and cutting her throat with a pocket knife after she left work. He then threw her over a bridge into some berry briars where she died. Terry's father on his death bed said to one of the detectives that he would not "rat out his son". I believe that Terry and possibly his cousin David are the two people responsible for Jeremy's death.

I don't know that Jeremy would have been with them willingly. They were not people that he normally hung out with. As far as I know those are the two main theories - drug overdose as Jeremy had a heart murmur and being shot (not necessarily in the setting that the show portrays though). Honestly I wouldn't put "target practice" past either one of them.

boco357
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Ste,

Thanks again for joining.

What are you feelings about Johnny Fish? Have you had any contact with him?

Ste-E
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
What are you feelings about Johnny Fish? Have you had any contact with him?

I believe that Johnny was there and witnessed whatever happened to Jeremy. He went back to Shorty's that evening and was restless. Since then he's been a total mess. Homeless, drugs, alcoholic, mental breakdowns. He remembers up to a certain point and then black out. Doesn't remember anything past that. The detectives that work the case track him down occassionally and try to talk to him. I plan on going back home this summer (I haven't been back there for over 10 years) and might see if I can track him down.

boco357
01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you know who the person was that was drenched in blood that arrived at Johnny Fish's sister apartment complex?

I read from an article that Steinhoff's murder victim was of a former babysitter of Jeremy. Is it true and do you think she had more info ?

It seems that many residents are petrified of giving info on this case. Was Steinhoff well connected?
Were they just afraid to talk?
Or do you think not as many people knew about it.

Thanks again.

Ste-E
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Do you know who the person was that was drenched in blood that arrived at Johnny Fish's sister apartment complex?

I read from an article that Steinhoff's murder victim was of a former babysitter of Jeremy. Is it true and do you think she had more info ?

It seems that many residents are petrified of giving info on this case. Was Steinhoff well connected?
Were they just afraid to talk?
Or do you think not as many people knew about it.

Thanks again.

Some of the facts that you all have are a little off.

Johnny's last name is Gray - not sure where Fish came from.

Terry Steinhoff was a former babysitter of ours. His murder victim was unknown to us. He tried to hit on her and she brushed him off, he didn't like it so he followed her when she left work and killed her. Totally unrelated to my brother.

Myrtle Point is a little town of about 2,000 people. The Steinhoff's were feared in the town. Terry's sister moved to California, changed her name and wants no connection to the family anymore from what I hear. When their dad died she was named the executor on the will but she requested that none of her info be given to any of the family. The family was not well liked.

I believe that the person depicted who was covered in blood was one of the Steinhoff cousins but the detectives have never said definetively to us who it was.

I think that people were afraid to come forward. There is drug production and use that takes place there. There are 2 or 3 police officers there who are corrupt. One PO came from out of town, stuck his nose into things and was killed by a hit and run driver. That's how things there happen.

My Mom was born in that town, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc are all from there. We knew everyone in town. I truly believe that people know what happened and were afraid to talk. Terry died in prison in October from unnatural causes and I hope that someone out there is not afraid to come forward at this point.

wiseguy182
01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Some of the facts that you all have are a little off.

Johnny's last name is Gray - not sure where Fish came from.

Terry Steinhoff was a former babysitter of ours. His murder victim was unknown to us. He tried to hit on her and she brushed him off, he didn't like it so he followed her when she left work and killed her. Totally unrelated to my brother.

welcome to the forum! I am sorry about your daughter and brother, and hope these are resolved someday.

Johnny Fish may have been a name created by someone from UM to help protect the identity of the witness: they do that on occasion.

boco357
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I think we would have known more if the setence on Steinhoff was a little more stern.
I read,he was given 10 years to life, he probably believed he would get out on parole if he kept quiet.

Maybe he told a story to a "little birdie" in jail.

You had mentioned you believe one of the cousins David was drenched in blood that was depicted on UM and believed he was involved.
If so he's the key to the case now, IMO.
Do you know of any problems with the law? Was he more of a lackey of Steinhoff's?

hostedbyrobertstack
01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
wow, this is great having s'te here. I felt horrible for your mother during the segment not knowing what had happened. I always found it odd that the police didn't question or look more into johnny (gray) after the incident, with him having the freakout afterwards, obviously he knew something. Also, the man drenched with blood, too many factors that say this should have quickly been solved. Obviously these things aren't a coincidence, and he didn't run away with the carnival. Anyways, it would be great to have this case solved and have an update on the upcoming unsolved mysteries on spike.

Ste-E
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I went back and read some of the older threads about Jeremy and noticed that someone had converted it to DVD. Does that person still post here? I'd be interested in getting a copy of it. The tape that we have is the original one that we recorded the first time it came out. My Mom hasn't played it in a long time as she is afraid that it might break and was told that she can't convert it to DVD as it is copyrighted.

Also I saw mention that it's on YouTube but couldn't find it there.

Ste-E
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I think we would have known more if the setence on Steinhoff was a little more stern.
I read,he was given 10 years to life, he probably believed he would get out on parole if he kept quiet.

Maybe he told a story to a "little birdie" in jail.

You had mentioned you believe one of the cousins David was drenched in blood that was depicted on UM and believed he was involved.
If so he's the key to the case now, IMO.
Do you know of any problems with the law? Was he more of a lackey of Steinhoff's?

My Mom said it could have been Hoyt Richardson or David Steinhoff. I know that David has been in and out of jail.

Terry went before the parole board three times but was denied parole all three times. The detectives also believe that the reason he never said anything is because he had the possibility of getting out. At one point he wanted a transfer to another facility and the detective was going to use that as leverage but the transfer was made without his knowledge.

Ste-E
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
wow, this is great having s'te here. I felt horrible for your mother during the segment not knowing what had happened. I always found it odd that the police didn't question or look more into johnny (gray) after the incident, with him having the freakout afterwards, obviously he knew something. Also, the man drenched with blood, too many factors that say this should have quickly been solved. Obviously these things aren't a coincidence, and he didn't run away with the carnival. Anyways, it would be great to have this case solved and have an update on the upcoming unsolved mysteries on spike.

The Myrtle Point police were a joke. When my Mom went to the police chief that Saturday she was told that he would be back when the carnival packed up. Family and friends started putting up posters. On Sunday after the fair packed up and left my Mom went BACK to the police chief and was told that they had to wait 72 hours after the report was filed before they could do anything :mad: So Jeremy was gone for a week before ANYTHING at all was looked into and the PC was sure that Jeremy was a runaway so they really didn't do anything. The case was turned over after 3 MONTHS to the sheriff's department who then started really working the case but by then 3 months had passed. They couldn't do anything until they were asked since it was in the MP police dept jurisdiction. My Mom and I believe that IF they had listened and done something from the very beginning that we would not be here 21 years later with no answers

Ste-E
01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I gave my Mom the link to this thread so I think she may show up and be willing to answer some questions. Her memory from that time is much better than mine.

DianeB
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I've shown up. I had no idea this site was even here - I use search engines regularly but have not ever seen it. Like my daughter, I cannot find the utube thing. I'm not really good at finding such things and would appreciate a link.

I am amazed and WOW!! I didn't think there was anyone out there that cared - except for close family and friends. Thank you all for caring. At this point I cannot express myself well - I've just used an entire box of tissues.

All I can say right now is Thank you.

crystaldawn
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I've shown up. I had no idea this site was even here - I use search engines regularly but have not ever seen it. Like my daughter, I cannot find the utube thing. I'm not really good at finding such things and would appreciate a link.

I am amazed and WOW!! I didn't think there was anyone out there that cared - except for close family and friends. Thank you all for caring. At this point I cannot express myself well - I've just used an entire box of tissues.

So nice to have you here Diane B! I enjoyed seeing your avatar as well. I don't believe the story is on that site anymore but I believe someone from the board contacted Ste-E today about making her a copy so I can guarantee that won't be a problem for you to get.

Any thoughts on how Jeremy's segment was portrayed on UM? Was there anything on there you didn't like or was everything portrayed on there pretty much accurate? I ask that because they sometimes like to overdramatize certain parts of stories for effect. Anything else you'd like to tell us about his case, we'd love to hear.

hostedbyrobertstack
01-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Glad that you found this site. Your son's case has always upset me, I always connect more with the cases of younger people. I liked the way you came across on UM, you seemed very stern and determined to solve this case, and I admire that. Hopefully this case will be solved soon.

kamy
01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow! All this great stuff has happened today!
Welcome Diane and St'e! :wave:
How wonderful for you to come speak to us.
Yes, we care, and this is a favorite segment around here to discuss. I pray that the closure you deserve is on the way.

God bless you and thanks for the info!

wiseguy182
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Hello Diane, it is wonderful to have you and S'Te posting here. I am very sorry for what your family has had to go through, I hope this is resolved someday. We all care for Jeremy, you and your family

I do have a question, how would you say Myrtle Point is like? I did have some guests from Myrtle Point stay at my hotel last year, but while I recognized the name of the place, I didn't realize the significance of it until after they left, so unfortunately I didn't get to ask them about it. I remember that they were shocked that I had heard of it because it is such a small town, and is so far away in terms of where we were (in Michigan).

GaryJ06
01-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome Diane and St'E...very glad to have you here! I, like everyone else here hope that there is some resolution soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

GaryJ

DianeB
01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I do have a question, how would you say Myrtle Point is like?

Myrtle Point (http://www.scod.com/cities/myrtlepoint/) is a small town. It could in no way be described as even a small city. It has a clam, slow, settled, safe aura about it. It has 2 stoplights, 3 schools, a motel, 2 markets, several churches, etc. It is about 25 miles from the ocean. It is a more a ranching and logging community than anything else. The kids learn to drive tractors and hay trucks, they work in the hay fields or helping friends do thier "chores" by helping to feed, hay, clean stalls, feed calves, etc. It is a very friendly town. I was born in Myrtle Point, S'te was born in a neighboring town as Myrtle Point no longer had a hospital. But we lived there. Jeremy knew and loved almost everyone in town. And Everyone knew and loved Jeremy. We had lots of family in and around Mrytle Point. The town had several "activities" throughout the year with the County Fair being the largest by far. Months went into the preserves, crafts, 4H animals for showing, and of course the rides, games, and the large number of people that came into town. I'm not sure just what the Fair consists of now - I haven't been to it since 1988 when they filmed the UM there. That made the news in Coos County!!! That the UM crew was there. . .

The ranchers are up at daylight doing what they do and the loggers are up way before that. They have to be on the job (sometimes an hour or more from town) by daylight to start work. Many loggers left MP by 4 am or so every weekday morning and many Saturdays during the summer - unless your company was lucky enough to have a "stand" with rocked roads - loggers didn't work when it rained. From Octobers' end until after Easter. So MP was a hard workers town. Hard workers and hard players. I'm sure the alcholhism rate there is above the national average and I've heard that the drug manufacturing is rampant now (not then). When the environmentalists saved all the forests - they forgot about all the families that were employed by them. Both in the woods, in the mills, as truck drivers, and in trickle down jobs. But I get off of the subject because most of this happened in the early 90's - after we left.

I visit spots in Myrtle Point each year. There were/are so many different stories and rumors about where/how/when Jeremy was gone that I just can't spend a lot of time there - I don't know who I look at that knows something that they aren't telling or who looks like they should know something but really doesn't.

When I do visit - everyone is really sweet and always asks if there has been any news. They know if there had been - it would've been in/on the news from Eugene (MP doesn't have a tv station) or in the Coos Bay World Newspaper. People are uncomfortable with me - as I am with them. I have not lived in MP since Jeremy has been gone.

To answer some of the questions or observances in the prior postings:

I spoke to Jeremy just before 5 on Aug 14th, 1986. That date and conversation will never leave my mind. . I told Jeremy that I would be there Saturday morning and that I would be working for our Uncle during the morning parade and again after the rodeo that evening. Ole was a logger and left for work between 3 and 4 am. He worked that Saturday. I got to MP just as the Parade started and ran to work - I saw several of Jeremy's friends and S'te came in (she knew where I would be). I put the word out that I wanted to see Jeremy too. It used to be all I had to do. Even the days before cell phones - the kids would say to each other - "your mom wants you" and that was good. At least until they got 15/16 or older. S'te watched the parade and we went back to Ole's - she said she hadn't seen him since the fair. Ole finally got back from the woods and said that he didn't check on Friday morning to see if he was home before he left at 3/4 am - but knew he wasn't there on Sat morning. Ole said he "figured that he just decided to stay at Robbie or Johnny's until you got here". Ole thought maybe Jeremy had stayed at the fair late Thursday and decided to wait and face me instead of him. I went to the MP Police both Saturdayd afternon and again after the bar closed Satuday night (I worked that night) - and S'te has told you the rest. The "large amount of space" is a huge time frame. From the time I spoke with him on Thursday until I couldn't find him on Saturday. EVERYONE in MP saw him on Thursday, he did some odd jobs for our Aunt that afternoon before he called me. He never went back to her for her money. I don't eveb remember anything special about his watch. I don't remember. I still have the wallet, school ID, etc but I don't have his watch. And he was always leaving it at home - he wasn't used to carrying a wallet - he had just turned 14 in May. He never even made it to high school.

Not long after Jeremy was gone (maybe a year or 2) there was a terrible car accident that killed 4 of his good friends. So anything they might have known is forever gone. Johnny has been in absolute torment since Jeremy has been gone, I don't know whatever happened to Robbie. Ole died several years ago. My Mom died just before the UM segment aired - so she never even saw it. S'te has had to live with less than 1/2 of a Mom for years. I still have a hard time with my own guilt. If I hadn't let them go - - But maybe now that Terry has died in prison - maybe someone will tell. Sgt Zanni (who was part of he massive budget cut layoff) is as convinced as the earlier Dectives that not many people ever really did know or were witness to anything. They have pretty much ruled out the scenarios that were shown on UM - but those were the most "popular" at the time of the segment. I don't know how those 2 particlar scenrios got picked -

I will try to answer any other questions that you have. I pray that we find him and put him to rest - he was a child -
a big child - but he still was naive young teen. All of the missing children deserve to be found - this sick aspect of our society that hurts others need to be . . . . . . I don't know what ! ! ! ! !

kamy
01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I grew up in a town JUST like that, (moved from there to Dallas TX so it's quite a change!) and I guarantee it, someone knows what happened to Jeremy. This is the kind of town where you know everyone's business and they know yours. It's such a shame, and I pray that now, with the new developments, someone will come forward.

shek
01-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know where to begin but I wanted to tell Diane and Ste-E that my heart is with them.

To Diane: I lost my daughter 20 years ago. She was missing for 8 days before she was found murdered. I cannot begin to describe the 8 days we went through trying to find her. I was at least fortunate in the most unforunate of circumstances to have found her. My heart goes out to the mother's of missing children that haven't even found theirs yet. Knowing what our 8 day's were like, I cannot phathom the years you have had to deal with it. It would take years (over 14) before they caught my daughter's killer. Again, we were fortunate in the most unfortunate way to learn some of the HOW, WHAT, and WHERE things happened but will never understand the WHY. My heart is with you and I hope and pray you may one day get some of your answers too.

To Ste-E: All to often people, including parents, don't recoginize the impact and pain of losing a sibling can be. My daughter's were only 13 & 16 when they lost their sister. They were so young, and as a parent, I tried to sheild them from the pain when in all reality they needed to informed, involved and consoled. Before they sentenced the man who killed their sister - the court requested each family member to write a "Victims Impact Statement." I still can't read my girl's statements without crying. Losing their sister impacted their lives forever and much deeper than I realized. All these years have past but their pain and sense of loss remain.

Even though our circumstances are different, I just wanted to let you know that I understand and if ever I can be of help to you or your family - Please let me know.

Heartfelt Regards,
Sheila Kimmell

frankilanai
01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi,
My name is Franki Lewis, and I live in Eugene OR. At the time of Jeremy Brights dissappearance, I was six years old living with my mother in Eugene. My mother is a Steinhoff by birth, but one that is not mentioned often as she has no criminal record and is a decent human being, a saint compared to the "other" people that have had the last name of Steinhoff. Over the recent years, before the property was sold, she repeatedly gave permission for the FBI, and other law enforcement agencies to search her parents property in Myrtle Point to see if they could find any sign of the the young man who dissappeared that day at the Fair. My wish is that someone would maybe talk to my Mother about these things. She was not involved in the "evil" part of the Steinhoff family, but might have relative information. You never know. I just know that it is hard on her heart to hear all the rumors about some people that she loved, and some that she didnt.

RightOnDude
01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
My wish is that someone would maybe talk to my Mother about these things. She was not involved in the "evil" part of the Steinhoff family, but might have relative information. You never know. I just know that it is hard on her heart to hear all the rumors about some people that she loved, and some that she didnt.

Frank, have you brought this up with you mom before? Did she ever have contact with the bad side of the family?

Ste-E
01-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Well I emailed Frank on the 15th but he hasn't responded yet.

DianeB
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Just to let you all know. . . . Another month has gone by and there hasn't been anything new. I keep hoping. . I sure wish the person with the DVD would contact me, I would love to have a copy of it. I am so afraid that my 20 year old vhs tape will break if I try to play it again. I would appreciate it sooooo much.

wiseguy182
02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Just to let you all know. . . . Another month has gone by and there hasn't been anything new. I keep hoping. . I sure wish the person with the DVD would contact me, I would love to have a copy of it. I am so afraid that my 20 year old vhs tape will break if I try to play it again. I would appreciate it sooooo much.

Diane, I sent you a PM

DianeB
02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Thank you so much for the DVD copy. I can always know that I will always have a copy of the program. S'te and family were just here for a visit and now she also has a copy of her own. Thank you for your kind heart.

There isn't much of anything else going on. I do wish to say that over the last 20 years - the Coos County Sheriff's Department has done as much as possible to solve this case. Detectives Dalton, Willis and Zanni have pulled out all the stops in searches. There was just to much time lost before it was handed over to them. Time is everything. Since the budget cuts in Coos County the time and manpower just isn't there to actively work the case. Detective Looney (who last I know - inherited Jeremy's case) has also worked it for the last few years. A case that outlasts several retirements just does not stay "active". In my head I do know this - just like I know that Jeremy would never have just "walked away" and not looked back - but in my heart - it doesn't seem fair that in a nation as rich as the US - we have to put open cases on the "back burner" while Congress has hearings on whether or not a ball player used some sort of drug once or 10 times or never - several years ago.

Our country has just gone nuts.

Allierain
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Our country has just gone nuts.

I definitely agree with you.

JenTro818
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
As far as why someone would let a 14 year old boy be by himself- I grew up 10 minutes from Myrtle Point and go to that same county fair every year. His disappearance was a chance thing. Even my own protective mother would let me go about on my own at the fair at that age. It's a VERY small town (less than 2,500 people) and our midway is only about as big as the rodeo arena-maybe.

DianeB
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think it is on there anymore. I had to get one of the posters to send me a DVD with the segment on it.

Don't anyone even begin to think I haven't kicked myself every day for 21 1/2 years because I even let them to to Myrtle Point that week. Jeremy had the "run of the town" since middle school and he was about to become a freshman in high school. And don't forget this was 22 1/2 years ago. Many, many, many things have changed. The kids were outside then - not glued to a video game (Atari had just come out) and tv's - we didn't even have cable!

Parents had a network of sorts - we all always seemed to know where our kids were - and what they were doing - (and every one else's too) because all of us KNEW each other. We might not have been friends - nor did we necessarily care for each other's company - but we communicated where our kids were concerned.

Everyone in town saw Jeremy on Thursday, I talked to Jeremy on Thursday, everyone talked to him on Thursday... Even this many years later it is as clear as a bell - everyone saw him on Thursday. . . but not on Saturday. . . . not since Thursday. . . .

DianeB
03-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh, and I have wanted to put something straight about Terry's family. I just haven't known quite how - and I probably won't say it right even after thinking about it for so long. I knew them as a family. We visited each others homes. We had meals together. His sisters babysat for Jeremy and S'te. His mom was a really wonderful, hardworking, genuinely nice person when I knew her. She got dealt a raw deal by life. I lost track of her and the girls when I moved out of Coquille - but I've never, ever said or even thought an unkind word toward of any of them. And the youngest son was still in grade school when I lost track of them. I do not, in any way, shape, or form blame anything on, nor harbor any harsh feelings towards the family. Except maybe the Dad, because he was just, . . . who he was. All the way to the end. May he rest in ****.

wiseguy182
04-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Thank you so much for the DVD copy. I can always know that I will always have a copy of the program. S'te and family were just here for a visit and now she also has a copy of her own. Thank you for your kind heart.

you're very welcome.

boco357
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Just an idea:

Maybe creating a Find Jeremy Myspace page. I know there are a lot of others missing person pages there. Saw on Dateline one case was solved by it. Spread the word. Couldn't hurt I guess.

DianeB
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
KOIN News has done a segment featuring Jeremy that will be aired on April 24th after the Without a Trace program. His case will be "spotlighted" during the program with a segment on the News following. KOIN will also run the feature again on Friday morning.

I pray with all my heart that someone will see this and open thier heart to give up the information needed to bring this to closure. As S'te said to me only minutes ago - we know what it is like to "wait" for closure - it's horrible - but to be the holder of the information for all of these years must be pure torture. Let God bring the "holder" to open thier heart and mouth to end the torture and the horror.

Three of the Detectives that have worked really, really hard and dedicatedly on Jeremy's still "Unsolved Mystery" will be in Portland tomorrow night to take any calls that come in.

I am blessed for Jeremy's case to still be worked this hard. May it come to an end so that others' cases can be worked instead of this one.

peachysquirt21
04-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Just thought I would post the link to the news piece that will air tonight. You can watch it after 11 on the site.

http://www.koin.com/content/news/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=58385a3e-4678-4c5a-972b-c179ce9fc1a1

Ste-E
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Here is the link to the news story

http://www.koin.com/content/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoid=7315@koin.dayport.com&navCatId=132

boco357
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Great piece. I didn't know that about Steinhoff's dad keeping quiet on his death bed. Hopefully someone in Coos County will speak up.

Thinman
04-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, great segment! That was far superior to the piece UM did. Why didn't UM mention Jeremy being in Steinhoff's car? That was much better information than the half-cocked theories UM mentioned. This adds to my belief that UM sometimes mortgaged the mystery element to the hilt when they could have told the story in a much simpler, more credible manner. UM sometimes came across like it was trying to tell an Alfred Hitchcock tale.

crochetbuff
04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Here is the link to the news story

http://www.koin.com/content/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoid=7315@koin.dayport.com&navCatId=132

WOW! What a gift to the family that this is being aired. Maybe they can
get some peace at last.

DianeB
06-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Still nothing new. UM didn't make up any part of what they filmed. At that time I don't know if I was even aware of Jeremy being seen in his car. The UM crew only put the theories that were in work into the segment. Remember . . . it was 20 years ago!! Don't be hard on them. Maybe that was how the Sheriff's Dept got the intel. I just wish someone would come forward... new info/old info... just something.....

videohunter
06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Still nothing new. UM didn't make up any part of what they filmed. At that time I don't know if I was even aware of Jeremy being seen in his car. The UM crew only put the theories that were in work into the segment. Remember . . . it was 20 years ago!! Don't be hard on them. Maybe that was how the Sheriff's Dept got the intel. I just wish someone would come forward... new info/old info... just something.....

I can't even begin to understand the pain of what you and your family are going through, but I hope someday you and your family receive the answers and peace you're so desparately seeking .....

hostedbyrobertstack
06-18-2008, 09:42 PM
That was a great news story and it was good to see some updated footage. This is one of my favorite segments and I really feel for you Diane and S'te. I wish there were something that I could do, it seems like such an easy solve if people would just stop being selfish and speak up. I will keep you in my thoughts.

sunshyn256
06-23-2008, 04:42 AM
For those of you who dont know a similar event happened about 7 or 8 years ago when Leah Freeman disappeared. The real difference here is that her body was found. I believe that one group of people are responsible for both murders. The group is basically a gang that practices some satanic rituals and is quite large in its numbers. This group all over oregon and most of the members may not be involved anymore, but are still part of this group. I realize this sounds a little far fetched, but remember how small a town we are dealing with. Its a town that knows that you do not talk about those members and what they do unless you wish to retaliated against, even for talking about them. I have heard several different stories for both the jeremy bright case and for the leah freeman case from a couple different sources, reliable sources and from those i formed my own opinion on which one is the most believable for this small town and the people in it.

Allierain
07-07-2008, 03:21 PM
One great aspect of this forum: Beyond our love of UM, and the times we find humor in it, we keep cases alive by talking about them. That way family members and police officials (*wink*) can find us, give us updates, and talk to us. I think that's a great thing. Thanks to you Diane, and Suzanne and others, for coming here and keeping contact.

Ste-E
07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
For those of you who dont know a similar event happened about 7 or 8 years ago when Leah Freeman disappeared. The real difference here is that her body was found. I believe that one group of people are responsible for both murders. The group is basically a gang that practices some satanic rituals and is quite large in its numbers. This group all over oregon and most of the members may not be involved anymore, but are still part of this group. I realize this sounds a little far fetched, but remember how small a town we are dealing with. Its a town that knows that you do not talk about those members and what they do unless you wish to retaliated against, even for talking about them. I have heard several different stories for both the jeremy bright case and for the leah freeman case from a couple different sources, reliable sources and from those i formed my own opinion on which one is the most believable for this small town and the people in it.

I would be interested in hearing more of your theory. Was Terry involved in this group? David?

I don't think the same people were involved in both cases but that is my opinion. I do however wish that both cases would be brought closure.

mikele
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
i work as an apprentice at DA's office and next year will start on my own as public prosecutor. After watching Jeremy's episode for the first time yesterday (we dont have UM in Europe since the early 90s) and reading Diane's and Stee's comments I must say I was struck by investigator's incompetence - 7 days before taking the report? In my opinion a local police showed outrageous disregard to elemental rules of investigation planning. First of you don't need any cutting edge technology to solve this case. all you need is to act immediately, as prof. Raszeya cited in his forensic pathology book "as time goes by, the truth vanishes just before our eyes".

After Diane's report they should have preserved right away the osmological traces found on the items held (or worn) by Jeremy - probably the wallet, watch, clothes - within 48 hours since tha last contact with his body. Then they should have used the dogs to sniff around - including terry's appartment, car, that "pond" area and woods. I think it was possible only up to 5 days' period. Those traces could have led to certain people and places. You might say it's a crude techique, but trust me it's always worth trying.

I still wonder if they seized that blood stained t-shirt and ran any serology tests (STR analysis wasnt in its heyday back then in the 80s). In conclusion that POs lingering was really annoying and there's no excuse for one's laziness.

I feel utterly sorry for Jeremy's family. Deep down we still care.

DianeB
12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Jeremy's father has been ill for several months. He has often voiced the hope that something would be found about Jeremy before he passed away. I fervently hoped that we would have news to send to him before that happened. Sadly, it didn't. Jeremy's father passed away on Friday, December 5. One thing that he did say was that he would see Jeremy in Heaven. My prayer is that between Joe, Jeremy, and my Mother, Betty, they can guide us in the directions needed to find an answer.

Thank you all for your reassurances, prayers, and uplifting. Someday justice will be done for all - even if sometimes it seems as tho' that day will never get here.

DianeB
12-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Mikele,
The technology today is so much different than it was 22 years ago. And remember, for 3 months after the last time I spoke with Jeremy, I couldn't get the Chief of the MP police to contact and ask for "assistance" from any other agency as his opinion was that Jeremy was a runaway and would be home shortly.

To my knowledge, nothing was saved, there is no evidence, his personal belongings have been handled, moved, been in boxes, for over 22 years.

I know you meant well, but knowing all the things that can be done today and even what could've and should've been done then doesn't change the fact that they werent. And I really don't know what I could've done to make them do it. This was (is) a police "force" of 3-4 officers, a dispatcher, and the Cheif of a very, very small town. Jeremy's disappearance was not handled correctly and that fact can never be disputed - nor can it ever be made right.

I am still in great hopes that some day the Good Lord will see fit to bring us the answers we so much need.

Stack>Farina
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Diane, I am dearly sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I just hope that you do find all the answers to the disappearance of your son.

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
12-08-2008, 06:18 AM
This case deeply touched many of us and I hope and pray the best for the family following this latest loss.

dawnfla6aa2
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, I remember this case. My heart goes out to this family.

It's an eerie feeling to remember this case and to be reminded that Jeremy would be my age now.

How could Terry's father have died without letting someone know what he knew about Jeremy's disappearance? You would thing any decent human being would want the family to have closure. Oh, but maybe that's were Terry got it from!

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
12-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Did Jeremy have metal jewelry or dental work, and have metal detectors been tried? http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11325200

DianeB
12-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Jeremy's watch wasn't left behind so I have to assume that he had it on and he also had a small amount of dental work done. He had pretty good teeth - the Sheriff's Dept has (or did have) his last dental records from the spring before he was gone.

Very interesting article.......

Cori aka ChrisSCrush
01-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks for answering and know that I thought of you immediately on seeing this article and think of Jeremy's case often.

TracyLynnS
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
S'te and Dianne, I'm so sorry for your recent losses and, of course, for the loss of Jeremy.

How good of you both to visit here and share your hearts with us.

I hope that this will be the year that you will finally have peace, and that Jeremy will finally have the proper rest he deserves.

Hugs and prayers for you and your families,
-Tracy

dawnfla6aa2
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
S'te and Dianne, I'm so sorry for your recent losses and, of course, for the loss of Jeremy.

How good of you both to visit here and share your hearts with us.

I hope that this will be the year that you will finally have peace, and that Jeremy will finally have the proper rest he deserves.

Hugs and prayers for you and your families,
-Tracy

I'm with Tracy and the rest of the crew. Thank you for allowing us into you life and answering the questions you can and keeping us informed.

With much admiration,
Dawn

GailW
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I am new to this board. I know Diane B personally. Rest assured, this is something that weighs very heavy on her heart and has since her son went missing. This woman is one of the most upstanding citizens I have ever met and deserves to know where her son is. Waiting and wondering takes its toll on the nerves. If anyone can help, please do. Diane, have you considered contacting the person in the Steinhoff family that posted on here? Franki? I believe Ste-E wrote that she tried, but did not get any reply. Keep me posted.

mysterymomma
02-07-2009, 02:11 PM

I think that when you are talking about 1986 in a rural community, this would be fairly normal for a 14 year old to be able to go to a community thing like a fair or to hang out with friends, yes.

mysterymomma
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
When I go to You tube, it shows me the thumbnail but when I click it, it is no longer available! I find the case heartbreaking, and I hope there will be resolution someday. Just for point of reference, someone has recently confessed to an early 80's murder in my town. He had spent the last 20-something years drunk, homeless, etc. Sounds familiar to the friend, Johnny.

mikele
02-09-2009, 05:05 AM
When I go to You tube, it shows me the thumbnail but when I click it, it is no longer available!

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Cosgrove Meurer Productions." It's obvious that makers of the show made YT pull a plug on Jeremy Bright's episode among the others.

Last time the Unsolved Mysteries' staff member wrote: "the most important part of the show are the victims and families of those affected by crimes and tragedies. Hopefully (...), we can continue to solve these crimes and bring closure to those in need",but it must have been sort of public relations gimmick. Sickening lowlives!

Ste-E
02-17-2009, 02:34 AM
I am new to this board. I know Diane B personally. Rest assured, this is something that weighs very heavy on her heart and has since her son went missing. This woman is one of the most upstanding citizens I have ever met and deserves to know where her son is. Waiting and wondering takes its toll on the nerves. If anyone can help, please do. Diane, have you considered contacting the person in the Steinhoff family that posted on here? Franki? I believe Ste-E wrote that she tried, but did not get any reply. Keep me posted.

I did email that person and have not gotten a response.

I DO honestly believe that Jeremy's friend Johnny was present when things happened but I do NOT believe that he is the one responsible. I think that whatever happened was so traumatic that it has consumed him and turned him into the person that he has become. I think that at a certain level he has blocked things out but it still affects him. I believe that there is one person responsible and I also believe that there are others out there who know what happened and aren't talking. If someone would just come forward with that information we could find Jeremy and lay him to rest properly and bring some much needed closure to his family and the community that loved him/.

CoosBayMojo
02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
i have browsed this topic for over a year now and decided that i would post here see if there is any way at all that i can help Jeremy's family have closure after all these years. i moved to myrtle point oregon about the same time this happened. my older brother later became friends with johnny, so i knew him and his family. we all went to school together and johnny spent many weekends at my family's farm. i eventually moved to Coos Bay (a few towns away) and years down the road became a preschool teacher in coos county. Johnny's sister Cecelia (shorty) was also a preschool teacher in coos bay, so we once again crossed paths. We fell in love and married. Cecelia talks about jeremy often and if there are any questions that his family might have, just let me know and i will help in finding answers.

MissFit29
03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
bumping this thread...

Hopefully the discussion here will bring this case to the forefront again. It needs to be solved.

Cecelia Campo
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM

I DO honestly believe that Jeremy's friend Johnny was present when things happened but I do NOT believe that he is the one responsible. I think that whatever happened was so traumatic that it has consumed him and turned him into the person that he has become. I think that at a certain level he has blocked things out but it still affects him. I believe that there is one person responsible and I also believe that there are others out there who know what happened and aren't talking. If someone would just come forward with that information we could find Jeremy and lay him to rest properly and bring some much needed closure to his family and the community that loved him/.

Cecelia Campo
01-12-2010, 11:13 PM

I think your right. I also agree that Jonny was there and witnessed what ever happened to Jeremy. He was never the same after that night. I believe that Jonny was threatend with his family being next if he ever told. I tried many times to get Jonny to remember but he couldnt. He has been a mental case every since that night. I think something happened to him also but he has suppresed it so deep in his mind he cant tell what happened to them that night. I wish someone would tell what happened. It was David Steinhof that I ran into that night and he was covered in blood. I dont think he ws in a fight there was to much blood for that. It would be nice to talk to you through email and I can share with you what I remember. I will be watching this sight to hear from you. thanks Cecelia Campo aka Cecelia Fish

scm80
01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I haven't posted here in a few years, but this was one case that really made me sad. To his mother and sister, I'm really sorry for your loss.

I just watched this segment today. I really get choked up, watching it, reading here about his mother's pain.

And that person (So, I'm glad everybody knows him) laughs at his "fight", my blood just boils.

Ste-E
01-26-2010, 01:38 AM
I think your right. I also agree that Jonny was there and witnessed what ever happened to Jeremy. He was never the same after that night. I believe that Jonny was threatend with his family being next if he ever told. I tried many times to get Jonny to remember but he couldnt. He has been a mental case every since that night. I think something happened to him also but he has suppresed it so deep in his mind he cant tell what happened to them that night. I wish someone would tell what happened. It was David Steinhof that I ran into that night and he was covered in blood. I dont think he ws in a fight there was to much blood for that. It would be nice to talk to you through email and I can share with you what I remember. I will be watching this sight to hear from you. thanks Cecelia Campo aka Cecelia Fish

I sent you a message

Steve W.
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I found this on another message board (can't remember the name) when I "Googled" Jeremy Bright. It was from someone whose username was "Jethro":

(Jethro) "I was told by a certain coquille resident, in tears, about a confession she had heard from one of the persons of interest who said that they took Jeremy from the fairgrounds, and that his body is supposedly in a capped of well in the middle creek area somewhere."

And from everything I've read, seen, or heard about this case, this is my basic idea of what I think happened:

Jeremy gets off the phone with his mother. Very shortly after that, David Steinhoff, Terry Steinhoff (now deceased), Hoyt Richardson, or some group of guys that included at least one of these three, sees Jeremy and asks him if he wants to go hang out somewhere real quick. He probably mentions that he needs to go meet up with his sister, but maybe it was something like them saying, "Hey, we got this gun, you want to try it out? It'll be real quick and we'll be back soon." or "Your sister will be fine at the carnival. Don't worry, we'll be back soon."

Then Jeremy goes off with these guys that I believe are some combination or include David Steinhoff, Terry Steinhoff, or Hoyt Richardson. One of them probably drives or walks off to somewhere no more than a few miles from payphone where Jeremy was last seen at. Johnny Fish either went with Jeremy and the guys or was at the place that they went.

At the new place that they are at, one or more of the guys either tells Jeremy to go out and do something, then does the target practice thing that has always been a theory and accidentally shoots Jeremy once or multiple times or the Steinhoff brothers or Hoyt Richardson intentionally shot Jeremy and Johnny witnessed either the accidental shooting or the intentional shooting.

They decide on some way to conceal Jeremy's body or worse (I'm sorry to bring this up but it might have happened and could be a way to figure out how Jeremy might be found), they dismemeber it and then conceal it, either in the ground somewhere, a body of water somewhere, or as "Jethro" said, a capped-off well somewhere.

I think Jeremy's remains are still somewhere in southern Oregon and could be found if someone just found the right spot.

This is my basic theory of what happened to Jeremy.

I'm very sorry if I end up upsetting Jeremy's mother, sister, or Johnny's sister or husband, who I see have posted messages on this thread. My condolences to you.

If I had to guess the truth about what happened to Jeremy and where he is, that would be my basic idea.

Kyte
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
This is such an intriguing and intresting case, but its one of the most infuriating I have ever seen on UM. Not just with the people who refuse to talk after all these years, but with the naive police too who waited an astonishing THREE MONTHS before doing anything. Just imagining Jeremy having to suffer for 2 agonizing weeks with bullet wounds, probably begging his offenders to take him to the hospital in every conscious moment that passes him by is too much.

I think its been so many years since the police have had another lead that they should just try searching that area around the cabin. I mean, what have they got to lose?

And I find it great how both Jeremy's mother, sister, and a witness have posted on this thread. If only every other case thread could be like this. Oh how I wish...

Steve W.
04-14-2011, 08:14 AM
My belief is that Terry Steinhoff (deceased) and/or David Steinhoff (he is in fact the person that was portrayed in the segment as the guy who was seen with blood all over his shirt by Cecilia Fish) killed Jeremy (whether it was accidental or intentional, I'm not sure).

That bad feeling I have though is that his remains have never been found due to whatever they did with his body after they killed him, which might explain the supposedly excessive blood that was on David Steinhoff's shirt. Because if they had shot him, you would think that he wouldn't have had much, if any, blood on his shirt.

But I agree that people should dig around that cabin area where he was rumored to be to look for his remains.

Gelatinous Goo
04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
It looks like Johnny Fish has passed away:

http://www.squidoo.com/pollyklaas/amissingchildjeremybright

"Johnny has joined his loved ones and his BFF Jeremy. He is finally rid of the anguish that plagued him for most of his teens and all of his adult life. Johnny did his best to help in finding Jeremy. He willingly cooperated with EVERYTHING that was asked of him. If he had the truth - it was buried so deeply and so traumatically - that even he could not reach it. It is a sad thing that evil incarnate arrived in Myrtle Point and ruined so many promising lives. Rest in Peace Johnny."

dynoguy88
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
That's too bad. Some of those comments on the site you linked are interesting. Especially this one made by Cecelia Fish...

I'm Cecelia Fish and I feel for Jeremy's family I also live with not knowing what happened all those years ago. My brother whom is Jonny Gray was one of the last to see Jeremy. I feel that Jonny was there and saw what ever happened He has never been the same since that night he came back to my sisters apartment. What ever he saw must have been very horific to him. I saw David that night covered in blood and was told by police that he had cuts to his forehead that created the blood I had seen on him. I had in the past been a neighbor to David and his girlfriend and had seen him after fights he had with his girlfriend before and I told police at that time he had to much blood to have come from the scratches I had seen on him in the days after Jeremy's disappearance. David's family was well known in Myrtlepoint and they were very scary to all that knew them. I feel that they did something to both Jeremy and Jonny and then threatened Jonny with his family if he told anyone. I feel that we also lost Jonny from that night on. He has been a mental mess every since this has happened. I wish the police had looked deeper into the blood covered person I saw that night. I feel he knows what we all need to know what happened to Jeremy?

chacha6581
05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
This episode is on now. It used to scare me so bad when I was a kid. I really hope that they can solve this one day.

Steve W.
05-26-2011, 07:15 AM
This episode is on now. It used to scare me so bad when I was a kid. I really hope that they can solve this one day.

If anyone can ever get David Steinhoff to talk about what happened, then it might get solved.

chacha6581
05-26-2011, 10:22 PM
If anyone can ever get David Steinhoff to talk about what happened, then it might get solved.
In my heart, I believe there are several people that can solve this case. Small town, small group of people, big secret. Maybe if one goes down, they all go down. There is a case that is breaking right now in Michigan that also involves a dead teen (however there was a body) from the 1980's. The suspects at the t.o.d. were all teens, with other teens as witnesses. People are starting to talk now that they are older, and hopefully wiser. Here is the case if you guys want to peek. Im also on the FB page for it.

http://www.crimewiresite.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4361479-erik-sterling-cross-murdered-in-vicksburg-michigan-on-june-26-1983

Steve W.
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
In my heart, I believe there are several people that can solve this case. Small town, small group of people, big secret. Maybe if one goes down, they all go down. There is a case that is breaking right now in Michigan that also involves a dead teen (however there was a body) from the 1980's. The suspects at the t.o.d. were all teens, with other teens as witnesses. People are starting to talk now that they are older, and hopefully wiser. Here is the case if you guys want to peek. Im also on the FB page for it.

http://www.crimewiresite.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4361479-erik-sterling-cross-murdered-in-vicksburg-michigan-on-june-26-1983

His case (the circumstances) looks similar to the Russell Evans case featured on UM. Obviously, it was about 6 years before the Evans case, but they were both teens and both were initially believed to be victims of a hit-and-run.

Steve W.
05-27-2011, 08:26 AM
BTW, Jeremy Bright's birthday was on Wednesday (5/25). He would be 39 years young now.

WishfulDreamer
05-27-2011, 03:24 PM
BTW, Jeremy Bright's birthday was on Wednesday (5/25). He would be 39 years young now.
:( Poor Jeremy. I really hope they can come to a resolution. It's annoying that people won't talk after almost 25 years. Does anyone know if the cabin area was found/searched? I forgot if it was mentioned in the segment.

DetailsTellAll
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
:( Poor Jeremy. I really hope they can come to a resolution. It's annoying that people won't talk after almost 25 years. Does anyone know if the cabin area was found/searched? I forgot if it was mentioned in the segment.

Yea, from what the segment said it was searched and nothing was found.

nicoge21
06-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I haven't read this whole thread, but I take it the theory of those 3 bullies shooting him in the lake and throwing his body somewhere and walking into the apartment hallway covered in blood (with a female witness approaching them) has been disregarded? or is it still the only lead?

porchlight
08-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Story Published: Aug 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM PDT

MYRTLE POINT, Ore. - A quarter century ago this Sunday, Jeremy Bright set off for the Coos County Fair.

He was never seen again.

Bright, who was 14 when he disappeared on Aug. 14, 1986, would be looking forward to turning 40 next May. >>> See an age-progressed picture

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children lists the case as a "non-family abduction."

Investigators and Bright's family believe the boy's life was brought to an end shortly after his abduction, although his body has never been found.

To mark the 25th anniversary of his disappearance, Bright's sister told KCBY News that his family would like to have as many people as possible gather at 3 p.m. on the baseball field in front of Myrtle Crest School.

The plan is to release balloons in honor of Bright and other missing children.
http://www.kpic.com/news/local/127604003.html

Steve W.
08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
"I haven't read this whole thread, but I take it the theory of those 3 bullies shooting him in the lake and throwing his body somewhere and walking into the apartment hallway covered in blood (with a female witness approaching them) has been disregarded? or is it still the only lead?"

It's the best lead. David Steinhoff: have to get him to talk. It's the only way the case will ever be solved. He and his deceased brother Terry were very likely to be responsible for Jeremy's disappearance. David was the one seen with the pool of blood on his shirt (as portrayed in the UM segment's re-enactment).

It's 25 years since Jeremy Bright's disappearance tomorrow. Steinhoff has been quiet for long enough.

Steve W.
08-14-2011, 09:19 AM
bump to remember that today marks 25 years since Jeremy's been missing and for the balloon release being done in his honor this afternoon

porchlight
10-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Police and volunteer searchers have looked everywhere, crawled down wells and drained swamps and ponds. They have literally dug up false leads. Where is Jeremy Bright? His mother Diane Beatty, will not give up.

If there's a month that Diane Beatty would like back, it would be August 1986. It was then that her 14-year-old son, Jeremy Bright, went to the Coos County Fair and vanished from the earth.

“He was here for a week during the fair,” Beatty, 52, said from her Eastside home this week as she pored over photos of her missing son from a time when Pac-Man and Van Halen were all the rage. “He was only here for a week. If I would have said, ‘No,' about him coming up to the fair, I would still have him.”

But she didn't say no.

Who would? Jeremy and his 9-year-old sister S'te (the French abbreviation for Saint and pronounced “Ess-tee”), had both grown up in Myrtle Point and they loved the fair. Their stepfather, Orville “Ole” Gulseth of Myrtle Point, had offered to take them in for a week that summer.

“My brother and I never missed the fair,” said his sister S'te Elmore, who is now married and living in San Diego.

For that last year, Beatty and the children had been living in Grants Pass. Beatty and “Ole” were finished, and Beatty was carving a new life for herself so she wouldn't be tending bar the rest of her life.

“Instead of them veggin' in Grants Pass for a week, while I worked and went to school, I thought that would be a great little trip for them,” she said, noting the children's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all lived in Myrtle Point.

“I have regretted it ever since.”
On Aug. 14, Jeremy Bright will have been missing for 21 years - an eternity for his mother. For the Coos County Sheriff's Office, it's a missing person and potential homicide case.

Beatty and investigators hope that by bringing the incident back into the public eye, someone will come forward with a new clue, a new lead, or a confession.

“If it's something that hasn't been visited before, that might be the piece of the puzzle that we're missing,” said Beatty, who lives full-time in Florida but who has been coming back every summer since she moved away in 1998. “He's out here somewhere.”

While no one has ever been arrested in the case, dozens of people have been questioned, log and beaver ponds have been drained in search of his body, scuba divers have explored wells, swamps and rivers, and various potential gravesites across the county have been dug up.

“Anything that looked like it had any substance, we put every effort into it to try and either find something that would help, or put an end to that rumor,” said former Coos County investigator Craig Zanni, who worked the case from 1991 to 2004.

But so far - nothing.

“It's all been valleys,” Beatty said. “There have not been any peaks. We have found nothing.”

The case is still considered a missing person and potential homicide case, Zanni said. His former colleague who handles the case now, Coos County Det. Sgt. Dan Looney, agreed.
“We believe he is still in the county somewhere - not alive,” said Looney, who tracked down leads surrounding Jeremy as recently as last winter. The two investigators are convinced someone in the county knows exactly what happened to Jeremy that fateful night.

“I would be willing to put money on it,” Zanni said Thursday as he worked a booth at the fair.

While Beatty cradles a glimmer of hope that Jeremy will come around a corner some day, she knows the chance is slim.

But she can't help but hope.

“You see on the news they find people that had been gone for 10 years,” Beatty said, noting a recent case in Missouri.

But that case involved teenagers. She said she had her hopes up that when Jeremy turned 18, he might return. He would have turned 35 this past May.

“In my heart I don't believe he would have been gone this long, if he had any choice,” Beatty said. “Some day ... some day, that's my last wish: To find him.”
On Thursday, Aug. 14, 1986, Beatty spoke to Jeremy, her only son, for the last time. He was on a payphone outside McKay's Market in Myrtle Point and she was in Grants Pass. She promised to pick the two of them up Saturday. Jeremy told her about his trip so far, and that he was going to pick S'te up at the fair at 5 p.m. Elmore said her brother was supposed to meet her at the Ferris wheel.

“Jeremy never showed up,” Beatty said.

Before going to the police, Beatty and her family spent much of Saturday searching for him. The family plastered missing posters throughout Myrtle Point in coming weeks, Elmore said. Nearly everyone Beatty bumped into saw Jeremy on Thursday, but not Friday.

“It was like he was beamed up,” she said.

And ever since, the rumors about Jeremy's disappearance have swirled: He was abducted by a demented carnival worker; he was shot and buried in the hills or dumped in a pond by a local; he was drugged at a beer party and killed; he ran away with the carnival.

Shortly after he disappeared, Beatty contacted the Myrtle Point Police Department. The chief told her not to worry. Jeremy wasn't missing. He'd be back as soon as the fair rolled out of town.

“Well, evidently the fair isn't gone because he hasn't come back,” Beatty said dejectedly.

At the time, S'te remembers informing police that she had seen Jeremy talking to two guys whom she did not recognize.

“For whatever reason, the (officer) I talked to didn't believe me,” Elmore said. “They thought I was making up a story to help out. But, I had seen him leave with these people. He did.”

Beatty's never subscribed to the runaway theory. Jeremy was protective of his kid sister and never would have left her alone. Besides, he didn't take his wallet or extra clothes. Investigators don't buy the runaway theory either. They believe that, despite the passing of 21 years, some people of interest still aren't coming clean.

“They would rather not say anything than do the right thing,” Zanni said. “We have a bunch of people that aren't telling the police anything. They should come forward. The family at least deserves to know. To put Jeremy to rest - and the burden on the mom and the sister.”

Elmore said her family needs closure about Jeremy.

“After this many years it seems like somebody would be willing to say something,” Elmore said. “Even if it was just to (say) where Jeremy is. Even if they called it in anonymously and said, ‘This is where he is. This is where you can find him.'”

She wants people to come forward and clear their conscience.

“To live with that knowledge for 20 years, and not say anything, has got to be torture,” Elmore said.
n a small town like Myrtle Point in the 1980s, “where everybody knew everybody,” Beatty said, you could let a 14-year-old roam about. Especially one that was so popular and never got into trouble.

“He had run of the town since he was 5,” she said. “Everybody knew him.”

Beatty can't help but think that Jeremy may have died in some horrible manner. Elmore said at least one of Jeremy's close friends began having nightmares shortly after his disappearance, and has battled alcohol addiction ever since. Beatty believes the friend's problems stem from whatever happened to Jeremy.

Through the various interviews Zanni has conducted, he said he thinks Jeremy wasn't a bad kid, but may have been somewhat troubled due to the breakup in the family - what would be expected from “a family going through a divorce.”

Jeremy went missing the summer before entering high school. He had been a standout basketball player, a so-called “sixth man,” who wore a size 13 shoe. He was convinced he would make the team at his new school in Southern Oregon. Elmore said her brother also coached her basketball team at the Boys & Girls Club in Grants Pass and had never run away from home.

Beatty said Jeremy's grades had slumped somewhat in Grants Pass. They had moved there in the middle of his eighth-grade year. She chalked it up to him simply getting used to a new school setting. Wanting to help smooth the transition into high school, a few weeks before his disappearance, the two embarked on the proverbial clothes shopping spree. Jeremy picked out a pair of Levis, several button-down shirts and pair of black Nike tennis shoes with red shoe laces.

They're the same shoes he was last seen wearing and the ones listed since the 1980s on the poster declaring him a missing person.
After three months of hanging onto the case, Myrtle Point investigators turned it over to the Coos County Sheriff's Office, which Beatty said, tracked Jeremy's whereabouts through part of Aug. 15. Investigators won't reveal that information, but Zanni said some people of interest have never been cleared due to their lack of cooperation.

Investigators, Beatty and her family still hope one day the case will break, as it did, partially, with the case of Leah Freeman, a 15-year-old girl last seen alive in Coquille in 2000. A little more than a month after she disappeared, her body was found about nine miles east of Coquille. But police have yet to make an arrest in the case, due to lack of evidence.

While Beatty feels the Sheriff's Office has done everything it could on the case, she still can't help but express grave frustration over the lost time that transpired while the case was in the hands of the Myrtle Point Police Department.

“My personal opinion is that if (Myrtle Point Police officials) had turned it over three months earlier - we would have had a whole lot better chance of finding out what happened,” she said.

At the moment, Beatty said she is not looking for retribution, or justice - simply peace for herself, her family and Jeremy. Living with out knowing if your child is alive or dead is “indescribable,” she said, adding she was somewhat jealous the Freemans' had, at least a partial ending, however tragic.

“I just want most to put him to rest - his spirit, his soul,” she said. “My quest isn't to find the perpetrator. It's just to find him.”

Still, authorities and the family hope that one day the case will be cracked.

“I always hope that someone will think, ‘Well. OK, it's time for me to talk,'” Looney said.

- Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Jeremy Bright is urged to contact Det. Sgt. Dan Looney at 396-3121 ext. 378
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=8655&st=0&#entry11318182

porchlight
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article...55d9003269.html
Home / News / Local News / Local News

Family finds closure 25 years after teenager disappeared from fair
Boy's family says farewell

By Alice Campbell, The World The World | Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 11:00 am | (8) Comments

World Photo by Lou Sennick Diane Beatty helps to hand out some of the more than 1,000 helium filled balloons that were released Sunday afternoon from the baseball field at Myrtle Crest Elementary School. She is the mother of Jeremy Bright, a 14-year-old boy who disappeared in Myrtle Point 25 years ago Sunday. Family and friends gathered in the ball field where the youngster played to honor his memory. They still hope to find out what happened to the boy.
loading Loading…

* Boy's family says farewell
* Boy's family says farewell

Twenty-five years after 14-year-old Jeremy Bright disappeared at the Coos County Fair, his family said goodbye Sunday.

'I think I buried my son today," said Diane Beatty, Jeremy's mother.

Family and friends released more than 1,000 balloons in memory of Jeremy at Myrtle Crest Elementary School in Myrtle Point, on the very field he played baseball on.

Beatty remembered Jeremy as always happy and with large feet.

So large, that it was almost impossible to find size 13 track shoes, she said.

When they found a pair in Coos Bay, they raced to get them, only to find they were bright red with yellow flames down the side.

The image of 6-foot, 1-inch Jeremy wearing the shoes sticks in her mind, she said, smiling.

Still searching

Jeremy had been in town with his younger sister, S'Te, visiting family when he went to pick S'Te up from the fair in August 1986.

He never was heard from again.

When he disappeared, there was no Amber Alert system. Jeremy was just another teenager who would come home when he got around to it, Beatty said.

'We didn't know what to do," she said.

'I don't think it really set in for months."

When S'Te Elmore realized her older brother wasn't coming to get her at the fair, she didn't think that meant he would never return.

'It's a struggle. You never want to give up hope," she said.

'Twenty-five years later, we just want answers. Our main goal is to find Jeremy and to lay him to rest. Just to know that he's taken care of."

Now married with nine children, Elmore said she misses her brother and thinks of him all the time and how her children will never know him.

'We talk about him. It's still hard. But they know who he is."

'We want to heal'

The family hasn't given up hope someone will come forward with information and crack open the cold case.

A detective is still working the case, and Elmore has regular contact with the Coos County Sheriff's Office, she said.

The family is sure Jeremy's body is somewhere in the county.

After 25 years of unanswered questions, it's time to get some, Elmore said.

'My mom deserves to have some answers," she said.

'And somebody out there can put an end to that."

Sunday provided a bit of closure, Beatty said, adding now maybe she can move forward and spend more time being a mother and grandmother.

'Maybe I can start my process," she said.

However, she too hasn't given up finding answers, whether those lead to justice or not.

'God will take care of justice for us," Beatty said. 'We want to heal, that's all."

Reporter Alice Campbell can be reached at 541-269-1222, ext. 235, or at acampbell@theworldlink.com.

Read more: http://theworldlink.com/news/local/article...l#ixzz1Zdt40tmN

Steve W.
10-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Can't the police there just bring in D. Steinhoff or Hoyt Richardson and ask them some questions? It's not breaking any policy to do that after all this time has passed since his disappearance, is it?

TheCars1986
10-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't know if anyone ever stumbled upon this or not, but on myspace they have a Coos County Sex Offender page and it seems like David Steinhoff is on there. His first name is Dennis I believe. Here's the link:

http://www.myspace.com/mothersagainstsexcrimes/photos/4308534#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A4308534%7D

Steve W.
10-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the link. I wish they could get that POS to confess.

baloony
05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
I think they nailed it with the theory of Jeremy being shot and killed in the water. The way that low life was waving that gun around, saying "oh this is a toy" was red flag number one. Then, he shows up hours later at that apartment building with dried all over his clothing. The police really bungled this case.

Steve W.
05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
I think they nailed it with the theory of Jeremy being shot and killed in the water. The way that low life was waving that gun around, saying "oh this is a toy" was red flag number one. Then, he shows up hours later at that apartment building with dried all over his clothing. The police really bungled this case.

Jeremy went missing on a Thursday (8-14-86) and I agree that he could have been presumably shot by one of the Steinhoffs that afternoon or night. Dennis David Steinhoff was seen Friday evening with the blood all over his shirt by Cecilia Fish.

I stated it in another thread and it isn't a pleasant thought: I think the Steinhoffs might have dismembered Jeremy's body after he died (accidentally?) so that no one would ever find it, hence the amount of blood seen on Steinhoff's shirt.

economistman192
06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Here is a couple other links:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bright_jeremy.html

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/MCC/bright_jeremy.shtml

Sometimes those age progressions are really sad because you can see the kind of man he might have become, if he'd had a chance to grow up.

economistman192
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm offering theories on UM cases I watch to further my interest in psychic detective work. After watching the episode, I consult my cards. Sometimes the results are obvious based on the information already available, other times there are surprises. I don't assume I'm right, but I like the idea of trying to understand what happened, or what the motivation might be.

In this case, I think what was described at the pond actually occurred. That doesn't mean that someone didn't also put something in Jeremy's drink at the part to lower his inhibitions, but I don't believe he died that way. One of the guys in the group, the one who I believe murdered Jeremy, was very controlling and was dating or very interested in a girl who either wanted to break up with him or who was flirting/interested with Jeremy. I don't believe Jeremy wanted to steal this girl away, but he innocently took an interest in her, they had a friendly conversation at the party that may have continued at the pool, and when this guy saw this with his friends, he was furious at both of them, but took it out on Jeremy. He pointed the gun to scare Jeremy, as if it were a joke, and shot him. He made it seem like an accident but with this guy it is doubtful - he brought the gun to intimidate Jeremy or get "revenge", even though Jeremy was innocent.

I believe the story about the cabin, and this is why one of the guys came home with blood all over him. I'm not entirely convinced that Jeremy was there for 2 weeks, but he definitely was in and out of consciousness and should have been taken to a hospital. The girlfriend wanted to go to the police, but they threatened to kill her. Someone said here in the forum that they moved the body, and I think that is right. They hadn't planned to at first, but then it became obvious that too many people knew what happened, and that someone might talk, and they guy who shot him got very scared. Two of them came back without the others and moved the body. I feel that Jeremy was taken somewhere near water.

welshman
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
It's a sad day when I read what psychics believe happened on sitcomsonline.

economistman192
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Actually, UM profiled many talented psychics who helped solve cases including Dorothy Allison, John Catchings and Nancy Myer to name a few - if you are a fan, you'd know that. You're entitled to your opinion, and you may not agree with my observations, but I ask that you be respectful. I feel it doesn't matter where the ideas or theories come from, if it furthers the discussion and stays within the guidelines, it may bring us closer to resolving a case. The only reason I included that in this post is that I'm referencing things in my post that weren't part of the episode, and I wanted forum members to know where my speculation comes from.

economistman192
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I just want to add, I've been reading this post backwards, so I wouldn't be influenced by the information here. I see the family has posted. I mean no disrespect, and I truly hope that Jeremy's remains are one day found. It could be the woman I saw that Jeremy was concerned about was his sister. As I said, I'm trying to develop my abilities and working on cases like this is the only way.

welshman
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Actually, UM profiled many talented psychics who helped solve cases including Dorothy Allison, John Catchings and Nancy Myer to name a few - if you are a fan, you'd know that. You're entitled to your opinion, and you may not agree with my observations, but I ask that you be respectful. I feel it doesn't matter where the ideas or theories come from, if it furthers the discussion and stays within the guidelines, it may bring us closer to resolving a case. The only reason I included that in this post is that I'm referencing things in my post that weren't part of the episode, and I wanted forum members to know where my speculation comes from.

No actually UM didn't profile any talented psychics, I am a fan and that's how I know, I'll be respectable to everyone who doesn't try to promote themselves here or delude vulnerable people. I don't mind people talking about psychics on the show but I see what you were doing as personal promotion which I disagree with.

economistman192
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
No actually UM didn't profile any talented psychics, I am a fan and that's how I know, I'll be respectable to everyone who doesn't try to promote themselves here or delude vulnerable people. I don't mind people talking about psychics on the show but I see what you were doing as personal promotion which I disagree with.

I don't know how you can say that, Allison helped to find a boy and a girl and others, she even got dates, locations and times, and Catchings solved many different unsolved cases. Nancy Myers is also highly respected by the police for her contributions and found the rapist with the white socks in her episode, even found the street he was located on. I don't care what you say about me, but to not recognize these people as talented shows me that you don't just have a bias about me sharing my thoughts, you're shut down to the whole idea in general, which means you're bringing your personal prejudice to the forum and you're not willing to be reasonable. Even the most hardboiled police officers in these episodes suggested that they were surprised by the findings and had to change their idea about using psychics. My believe is that if more genuine psychics like these people were brought in earlier, more leads would be uncovered and more cases would be solved.

I'm not going to reply to you anymore because I think it is boring when people argue here, and it takes valuable space and time away from the Jeremy Bright case, but I have no idea why would think I'm "promoting" myself. I'm not asking for anything, this is entirely anonymous and, at this point, there is no way to confirm my theories - I'm just sharing ideas, no more than if you had a theory yourself. I shared something in the case of David Stone, the stock analyst guy who was lost in the desert -thread on here, and was told my perceptions were helpful, so not everyone feels the way that you do. I actually wish more people who had any gifts, psychic, police, criminology or whatever weighed in and offered their interpretation of the evidence.

The whole point of UM was that people at home did the very thing that we are doing here, discussing cases, asking questions. But clearly I'm not going to convince you. I'm here as a member of the forum who cares about the cases, not as a professional anything. I think there is room for everyone, and I would agree, if someone was here as a psychic soliciting work or saying they had all the answers, I would agree with you.

mikewho
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Was this the case when the guy went to a carnival and then disappeared?

economistman192
06-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Was this the case when the guy went to a carnival and then disappeared?

Yes.

Jeremy's Mom
12-01-2012, 04:33 PM
It is now Christmas time of 2012. Jeremy is still missing. He has never been found. No person has ever come forward with any information. It has now been over 26 years since the last time I spoke with my son. The 'main' person-of-interest was killed in his prison cell about 4 years ago. He was serving a life sentence after pleading no-contest in the murder of a young woman after she 'refused his advances' in a bar.

A year ago, on August 14, 2011, my family and some friends gathered in the baseball field where Jeremy, then a sixth grader, pitched a perfect little league game, (his Uncle Gerald (my brother) was his coach). We released 14 blue balloons, one for each year he was with us, 25 red balloons, one for each year he was gone, 100 white balloons, for the nieces, nephews, and cousins he never met, and 800 green balloons, for the 800,000 missing people in the USA. His sister (now a wife and mother of 8) released a single pink balloon with "HOPE" written on it - for the hope she still has that he may be somewhere alive and well or the hope that someone will come forward and let her know she needs to do her grieving. Since Jeremy never had a funeral service, and was never found to 'lay to rest' - doing this was some comfort to

Someday, somehow I WILL know what happened to Jeremy. It may not be while I am still on this earth, but someday I WILL know.

1990 UM fan
12-01-2012, 04:35 PM
It is now Christmas time of 2012. Jeremy is still missing. He has never been found. No person has ever come forward with any information. It has now been over 26 years since the last time I spoke with my son. The 'main' person-of-interest was killed in his prison cell about 4 years ago. He was serving a life sentence after pleading no-contest in the murder of a young woman after she 'refused his advances' in a bar.

A year ago, on August 14, 2011, my family and some friends gathered in the baseball field where Jeremy, then a sixth grader, pitched a perfect little league game, (his Uncle Gerald (my brother) was his coach). We released 14 blue balloons, one for each year he was with us, 25 red balloons, one for each year he was gone, 100 white balloons, for the nieces, nephews, and cousins he never met, and 800 green balloons, for the 800,000 missing people in the USA. His sister (now a wife and mother of 8) released a single pink balloon with "HOPE" written on it - for the hope she still has that he may be somewhere alive and well or the hope that someone will come forward and let her know she needs to do her grieving. Since Jeremy never had a funeral service, and was never found to 'lay to rest' - doing this was some comfort to

Someday, somehow I WILL know what happened to Jeremy. It may not be while I am still on this earth, but someday I WILL know.

Thank you for sharing your story. Your son's case has been on my mind lately. I run an Unsolved Mysteries page on Facebook and have added his story on there. I am upset too that no one has been charged in connection to his case. Prayers are with you and your family.

Necco
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Ms. Jeremy's Mom-
Thank you for commenting here. I am about Jeremy's age and was deeply touched by his story the first time I saw it and each time afterward. He was a kid, like me, just loving life, hanging out at the fair. He looked like my friends. I pray for him and your family and that one way or another you will be reunited, in this world or in the next. I hope that as people who may know something, start to have children his age, they will start to understand how badly you need answers and will come forward. I hope this isn't disrespectful to say, but man, I hope he had fun at the fair. I hope that most of that day was spent being a kid and frolicking and having fun.

Know that he is not forgotten. I've read about him here and on web sleuths.
-necco

1990 UM fan
01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Websleuths is featuring his case as part of their "missing person of the week". I have changed my avatar to a picture of him in his honor. I hope one day someone comes forward with answers. I know that somebody knows what happened to him. I have spoken to his mom a few times. She is a kind lady and her and her family are not far from my thoughts and prayers.

WishfulDreamer
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Bumping this thread up. This case bothers me so much. Someone needs to talk so Jeremy's family can have some peace.

Steve W.
04-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Bumping this thread up. This case bothers me so much. Someone needs to talk so Jeremy's family can have some peace.

The two guys that need to talk are Dennis David Steinhoff and Hoyt Richardson, both of whom I believe still live in the Myrtle Point area.

If they don't talk, the status of the case will remain the same.

SheRaaa
04-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I just now noticed that Jeremy's mom has posted here. This case, like so many others featuring young people, is just beyond tragic and heartbreaking.

Jeremy's mom:

Thank you so much for sharing/updating on this board. The people who post here genuinely do care about what happened to your son and I believe every single one of us hopes, wishes, and/or prays that you will find out the truth sooner rather than later. We want to see justice served very, very badly.

I know this isn't much, but us UM fans will never, ever let Jeremy's case fade out of our hearts and minds.

JenniferS.
06-09-2013, 12:53 AM
You would think someone would have talked. Who ever heard of teenagers keeping their mouths shut this long. Course they would be adults now. I sure hope Jeremy's family gets some answers.

JenniferS.
06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I got some questions? I noticed that its mentioned in the thread by other people ,probably because unsolved mysteries had it said that Jeremy left his watch at his step-dads. And I notice his mother posted on here he had his watch on when he disappeared. So wouldn't that mean the swimming hole theory is out the window? Because I just can not see him taking his new state of the art digital watch to swimming whole were it could get lost and ruined.

Someone saw Jeremy in Terry Steinhoff's car? No implication that anyone had odd behavior, fear or was in a hurry to leave. Just two teenage boys talking? Were the Steinoff's Teenagers? Cause other wise Doesn't sound like Jeremy as a fourteen year old boy would have interest or have anything in common with someone older than him. Doesn't sound like Jeremy was afraid or feeling any threat of danger if he got in Terry's car and talked with him. Kind of sounds like Terry talked Jeremy into going somewhere with him? And is there anything Terry had or place he would go that would interest Jeremy into going along?

Were was Johnny? Was he the one who saw Jeremy in car with Terry? And when did David Steinhoff come into this? Was he at the location were Terry may have taken Jeremy. We know he was scene later that night with blood on his shirt. So he obviously helped cover something up.

Was the shack in the wood's were Terry said Jeremy's body was buried a place were Terry liked to hang out with his cousin David? Were Terry and David know to be interested in guns , or target shooting? I can imagine teen boys being interested b.b. guns, pellet guns or possible a shot gun for hunting game ,as boys are known to do in rural areas. Was this something Jeremy be interested in going to watch?

JenniferS.
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Now were did everyone go on this thread? :wave:

TheCell35
05-01-2014, 12:17 AM
I heard that a couple of years ago, a cold case team was working this case. I am guessing that nothing new has been found? I heard that the team was re-interviewing people of interest...

It's sad, but perhaps no one who is still alive actually knows what happened? It is hard to believe that no one has ever slipped up and told someone. How can a secret this big in such a small town last for so long? That is course of, unless it is because no one knows.

moving2
10-05-2014, 05:53 AM
I just wanted to say that I think JenniferS asked some great questions. I hope someone in the know will come in and provide some answers. The more information out there, the better.

moving2
10-05-2014, 05:55 AM
...in the comment section here: http://letsfindthem.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/an-oregon-teenager-attends-a-county-fair-and-never-returns-home/

"Dredd Roberts
January 12th, 2014 at 15:27
Find a homeless woman named edwina or edna rosenberry in port orford, oregon and believe in her, and you will find JEREMY DOLAND BRIGHT… A promise as good as the man giving it….1/12/2014"

A quick google shows an Edwina May Rosenberry lived in Myrtle Point, OR, and may have also been known by the following names:
Edwina May Sigvartsen
Edwina Johnson

...according to this website:
http://www.intelius.com/Find-Phone-Address/Port+Orford-OR/Edwina-Rosenberry.html

Hope this might be of some help.

JenniferS.
10-05-2014, 04:38 PM
I just wanted to say that I think JenniferS asked some great questions. I hope someone in the know will come in and provide some answers. The more information out there, the better.

Thank you. I just edited out the spelling boo boos. And that's what I get for posting when I'm tired at night. lol I still think a big part to solving this case if find out more about the people involved. I would say they buried Jeremy in a place that was familiar to them.