PDA

View Full Version : Elinor Donahue

Scoobiedoo30
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Can some please tell me how many episodes of The Andy Griffith Show was Elinor Donahue in

tv star collector
06-23-2006, 06:26 PM
According to The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club:

Elinor Donahue appeared in 12 episodes, all during the first season. At the end of the first season, she decided not to return, as she didn't feel comfortable working with Andy. It wasn't anything personal against him, she just didn't feel that they made a very good "TV couple."

cmcb06
06-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi,

Elinor Donahue also was one of the main stars in the short lived, 60's sitcom Many Happy Returns.

Scoobiedoo30
06-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I sure was sorry to see Elinor Donahue Leave The Andy Griffith Show

BuddyHinton
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Not too be mean but I never thought the chemistry for them worked. She just seemed too cold. I almost always skip the episodes she's in when possible. She also seemed a bit young for some reason. Helen is perfect in every way for my Andy:)~

Scoobiedoo30
07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I do have to say that Andy and Hellen Crump also made a Good Couple.

Sterling Holobyte
07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm probably the only one, but I thought Ellen Crump was just too ornery for Andy. She had a bad temper. I thought Ellie was alot better. But I think the person Andy was most compatible with was Peggy.

Mrs. Periwinkle
07-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Sterling Holobyte, I agree with you. Helen seemed too stuck-up to me and she never really seemed to bond with Opie...at least, they didn't have too many scenes together (other than when she was teaching him in her class) from what I can recall. I, personally, preferred the blonde girlfriend Andy had in early season three. She seemed much more friendly and I remember that she, Andy, and Opie got along great. Too bad they didn't keep her...

nerrad
07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I preferred Miss Peggy and Thelma Lou's cousin over Hlen and Ellie. Peggy mostly.

TV Knowledge Fan
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
.....Elinor's character name was "Ellie Walker". And try to remember that she had just finished six years on "FATHER KNOWS BEST". I'm sure most viewers had a bit of trouble separating "Betty Anderson" from "Ellie" (especially when repeats of "FKB" were on CBS' Monday prime-time schedule an hour before Andy's show!)...and everyone involved with the series, Ms. Donahue included, agreed that "Ellie" was not going to be Sheriff Taylor's "steady" by the end of the first season.

:tv:

Jude The Obscure
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
So Elinor always knew that her role on Andy Griffith Show was just going to be a temporary one?

(Reminds me of Dick Martin, who knew his role on The Lucy Show wasn't going to be permanent)

BarneyFife
04-04-2008, 08:00 PM
According to The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club:

Elinor Donahue appeared in 12 episodes, all during the first season. At the end of the first season, she decided not to return, as she didn't feel comfortable working with Andy. It wasn't anything personal against him, she just didn't feel that they made a very good "TV couple."

I really liked the story lines they had for her in the show. The one with Emma Watson and the sugar pills was so funny.

AB
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I liked Ellie Walker too, it's too bad she didn't come back & do a few more episodes.

richieonline
04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Here is a fairly recent picture of Elinor and I at an Andy Griffith Show Reunion Event in Nashville TN. She seemed very nice and still beautiful!!

honeybea
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Yes, still a very good looking woman! I'm glad she didn't do all the "plastic" looking surgery like so many other actors do to try to look younger. She's always had such a beautiful smile.

Ed
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I interviewed Elinor Donahue for a book I wrote last year and this should answer your question about her role on TAGS being a temporary one. Here is an excerpt from the book:
E.L.: I'm sure you get asked this question more than any other, but why were you only on the show for one season?
E.D.: Andy has said since that they didn't know how to write for me. I don't believe that. They knew how to write for me. They wrote for me just perfectly fine. I was just going through evermore turmoil than I had been on Father Knows Best in my personal life, and in all honesty, I don't remember alot of what happened then. I was just emotionally and physically drained.
E.L.: So it was your decision to leave?
E.D.: Yes. I asked to be let out of my contract. They agreed, but I think it hurt my feelings because they did it without a hint of an argument! (Laughing)
E.L.: How long was your original contract?
E.D.: Three years.
E.L.: So you could have stayed on for two more seasons if you wanted?
E.D.: Oh sure. As a matter of fact, Earle Hagen, who wrote the theme song, was so upset that I left the show because he had written "Ellie's Theme". It was what was going to play under my scenes. They used theme music for each character and they had already recorded it. It was to be released on LP when the new season came out. He was just sick because he said it was the favorite piece of music that he had written up to that point. He just loved it. It was a beautiful piece of music. it's out there somewhere. I'd love for you to hear it. It was just gorgeous....
So they had high plans for my character, but I made the decision to leave. I was going through an anorexic period. i was determined that I was overweight, and I wasn't eating. I was just a mess. Last year, I went to one of the Andy Griffith reunions up in Mt. Airy, and they do a Q & A thing. And they showed bits of episodes and they showed one I was in, and I was s-o-o-0-b-a-a-d!
E.L.: You really think so?
E.D.: Oh, I know so. The fans all applauded, and they said they liked it, but it was bad. I was way too thin, and you could just see that this person was just falling apart. That happened to be the last episode before I said, "Let me go."
E.L.: Have you ever regretted leaving?
E.D.: At that time, it was the right decision for me. In retrospect, I'm not particularly sorry. It isn't like I stepped away from the business and never worked again. I worked as pretty much as i wanted to, and I married Harry Ackerman, and I was very happy.
Elinor talks alot in detail about TAGS (The Christmas episode, what Andy was like, her relationship with Frances Bavier, etc.) She was very forthcoming and wonderful to speak with. Hope that answers your question. Thanks.

BarneyFife
04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys, for the picture and the interview, I really enjoyed them both. I often wondered what ever happend to elinor, I really thought her story lines in the show were very funny, and I thought her and Andy looked good together as a couple. I just never got into Helen's character much at all.

tv star collector
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
"Ellie's Theme" is one of the tracks on The Andy Griffith Show: Songs,
Themes & Laughs LP record album. I still have the copy that I bought
back in the sixties.

KayEn78
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
That was very informative and interesting. Thank you for sharing an excerpt of your interview with Elinor. I didn't know she had been anorexic. How sad. :( What is the title of your book? Thanks.
-Kristi

Jude The Obscure
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Ed for that!

I just watched Elinor on the "Daddy's Girls" extra on Father Knows Best season 1--I didn't know that she had ran off got married and they actually considered replacing her on the show! When she was allowed to come back, she sported that short hair cut, when they then augumented with a fake ponytail until her own hair grew back in.

honeybea
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I ordered a book she wrote from Amazon a few years back. It was her biography, I believe. She also had a lot of recipes in it too. She had a "stage mother" that really pushed her hard. That's probably the reason for all the rebellion, but she sure turned into a wonderful person. If I remember correctly, she had two or three more children in her second marriage.

Ed
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM
That was very informative and interesting. Thank you for sharing an excerpt of your interview with Elinor. I didn't know she had been anorexic. How sad. :( What is the title of your book? Thanks.
-Kristi
Hi Kristi.
The book is called Close-Ups:Conversations with Our TV Favorites by Eddie Lucas. Below is a link. Thanks for your interest.

http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/id246.html

Ed
04-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes.. the ponytail! LOL I asked her if she still had it and she said that she donated it to a girl's school when they were having
"Betty Anderson Day". LOL That's in the book also.

Ed
04-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Richie. That is a cool picture. When was that taken? Do you have any others you can post? Thanks.

TV DVD Fan
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
I liked the character of Ellie Walker alot in the first season; Helen takes a while to get used to but I eventually warmed up to her. If I were a TAGS writer, I think she might be one of the easiest characters to work with scriptwise; she seemed like a pretty dynamic person (a woman pharmacist in those backward times was pretty groundbreaking then!). She seems like she had the potential to be a very versatile actress.

A couple months ago I watched an episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS which she was in (Season Four- "Stan Takes a Wife"), and she still had it back in the late 80s!

richieonline
05-03-2008, 07:45 PM
The picture was taken I believe around may/june of 2004 in Nashville, TN at an Andy Griffith Reunion Event. I also had my picture taken with Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou), Don Knotts (Barney Fife), Howard Morris (Earnest T. Bass), and George Lindsey (Goober). I don't have any more with Elinor tho..

AB
05-04-2008, 12:00 PM
^ I really enjoyed the picture & all the information on Elinor.

Steverino
07-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Once i was in Gelson's supermarket in Studio City and she was standing on a stool in the middle of an aisle, trying to reach something. This would've been late 80s.
I always thought Helen was a little too uptight for Andy. Miss Peggy, as I'm sure you know, was the mother of Tatum O'Neal in real life. She died fairly young, i'm told.

ethelmaepotter
07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Frankly, I always thought she looked like Andy's daughter instead of girlfriend. I think that is why the chemistry didn't work.

Dusty's Fan
07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I have to disagree. Watching her appearances over and over, she doesn't seem too young for Andy to me, although I'm not old enough to have seen that season first-run -- and probably many people still saw her as a youngster from "Father Knows Best."

Maynard
07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, Andy seemed younger in that season too, with his hickish accent and general immature behavior.

east215
02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is a fairly recent picture of Elinor and I at an Andy Griffith Show Reunion Event in Nashville TN. She seemed very nice and still beautiful!!

I agree. She's a very attractive woman. I'm also glad she didn't have cosmetic surgery. Youth may fade, but true beauty doesn't. I never liked her with short hair when she was young, but the short hairstyle she as in the pic is most definitely very flattering.

Leslie Eckhardt
04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I just finished watching the first season of TAGS on Netflix and have to say that Elinor Donahue was just fine as Miss Ellie. It's a shame that she was going through personal problems which precluded her continuing on the series. The seed was planted for a flourishing relationship and one can't help but wonder what would have happened if she had continued into the later seasons. Ms. Donahue was always a fine, lovely actress. She had some surprisingly dramatic scenes on Father Knows Best in which she was completely believable and touching. I was surprised to learn that she had a carrer at MGM before appearing on Television.