PDA

View Full Version : See Ya (For A While)

lesliem14
05-07-2001, 03:45 PM
Hello All,

I will be departing after tonight for about a week. I leave tomorrow for Philadelphia to row in the Dad Vail Regatta which is the largest collegiate regatta in the US. It's so awesome. My favorite race. My DIII school WILL kick some of the DI schools' asses off the water. That's the best part!! Nine months of hard work go into this race. All my blisters and slide bites on my bruised and battered body have to be worth something! Anyway, have fun while I'm gone because I'm not paying a dollar for a minute of internet access at the place where we stay! Oh, the next time I'm online after today will be in KY, not OH. Get to go home for the summer on Sunday. Hopefully will be back online Sunday night.

[This message has been edited by lesliem14 (edited 05-07-2001).]

callmetootie
05-07-2001, 03:51 PM
Have a good time! You will have tons of things to do when you come back, belive me. I've gone away for 2 days and I stayed on this site all night long responding to topics. It's pretty fun though! Have a good 1!

------------------
Andrew Carden

hockeychiC518
05-07-2001, 04:14 PM
we will miss yea!! http://www.sitcomsonline.com/ubb/smile.gif GOOD LUCK!! and if boston college is there, go BC!!!(hehe sry big eagles fan...) but i have a couple question about crew(cuz it is offered at the high school and sounds interesting...) but first when did u start crew? did it take a while to learn it?(9th grade is the first year it is offered within my town)and good luck and kick butt! also there are going to be a lot of post here when u come back because when i left here for like 4 dayz for a hockey tournment there were so many and same when i went to fl for a week!

------------------
Jinny: See I know people too, dont screw with me

~*~*~Go Red Soxs~*~*~

lesliem14
05-07-2001, 04:40 PM
hockeychic

I didn't start rowing until my freshmen year in college. Crew is exactly a well-known sport in KY and I got into it pretty quickly. Some athletic background definitely helps (endurance), but the beauty of crew is that you can start anytime and learn it quickly. I was considered for the V8 my freshmen year. I don't know about high school, but some colleges are really picky about height. I'm 5'8" which wouldn't even get a look from the top tier programs. Something that is changing about crew is that many DI schools are using women's rowing as their Title 9 equalizer. A large amount of money is being poured into women's rowing right now. Now is the time to get involved in crew because it is definitely growing.

hockeychiC518
05-07-2001, 06:22 PM
wow ur 5'8?(thats preety tall compared to me who stoped growing now at like 5'2-5-4 or round there) crew isnt well known really in my town, my town is a big sports town but the big sports are hockey, soccer, lax, tennis, football and soon girls bball~ but im sure an atheletic backround would be helpful, yea i play other sports but they are in other seasons and i their are way to many people trying out for soccer so i am going quit and go out for crew...and thanks for the response!

------------------
Jinny: See I know people too, dont screw with me

~*~*~Go Red Soxs~*~*~

Lynn
05-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Have fun lesliem, and good luck in the races! I have actually never seen crew, except in the movies. It is nonexistent here in Colorado (as far as I know). I wonder why? Maybe we donít have any bodies of water that are big enough. What type of water do you race on (lake, river)? It looks hard but also like it would be a lot of fun.

My water sport of choice is wakeboarding. I donít compete or anything (I am nowhere near that good.) I just do it for fun and now that the weather is getting nicer, I will be able to start up again. I canít wait!

lesliem14
05-08-2001, 12:04 AM
There's two rivers that we practice on. This weekend we row on the Schuykill (I know I completely butchered that spelling) River in Philly, but the past three weeks our races were on lakes. It's different rowing on lakes because you don't have any current which we're definitely used to rowing with. I love fast currents-it dramatically decreases the distance!! I've never heard of wakeboarding before. I've come to terms that any sport that interfers with basketball in KY will never be taken seriously! Anyway, time to take the computer apart to get it packed up. See ya'll in a week.

Lynn
05-11-2001, 03:01 AM
Wakeboarding is like water-skiing but instead of skis you have one big board strapped to your feet (like a snowboard on water). As you are being pulled behind the boat you can just enjoy the ride, or try to catch some air as you cross the wake (the wave the boat makes). This is what I am working on right now. But as you get better you can try doing tricks. It is amazing what the experts can do.