PDA

View Full Version : I hope this subject isn't too taboo but...

Graveyard
04-06-2001, 12:57 AM
I've noticed a lot of posts that have asked people to pray for them etc. I was wondering what religion everyone belonged to, if you belong to one at all. I know you're not supposed to talk religion or politics with your friends, but oh well, I've been wondering for awhile. I think we all respect each other enough not to be judgemental. So how 'bout it. My religion is very important to me and because of that I respect Lisa Whelchel and the times she's taken a stand because of her beliefs. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. A long title I know, but a pretty good church. http://www.sitcomsonline.com/ubb/wink.gif What are your beliefs?

------------------
"Nat, Cool it! Nice girls don't throw trees!"

LaverneShirley
04-06-2001, 12:28 PM
I'm a Southern Baptist, but I'm not too religious. I was raised in a church pretty much, though, because my grandfather is pastor of ours. But when I was seven my dad got laid off from his job at General Electric, and we switched churches so he could become youth minister at another church. Then, when he quit that job, we went back to our old church, and we stayed there for a while. But me and my sister both started having a lot of trouble with the people there and we stopped going to church altogether. Now my sister's 17 and my parents are letting her make her own decision about whether she wants to start going again, but I don't have a choice and we started going regularly again two weeks ago. I believe in Jesus, and I believe in Heaven and Hell and everything, but I don't pray very often or anything...

------------------
"Well, Laverne is sort of childish" -Shirley

"Childish? Childish? Coming from a grown woman who throws tea parties for her stuffed cat!" -Laverne

"Well at least I don't sew L's on everything I wear!" -Shirley

"Well that would be pretty stupid considering your name's Shirley!" -Laverne

lesliem14
04-06-2001, 12:59 PM
I don't mind discussing religion and I'm a poli sci major so I really don't mind discussing politics! I was raised in a very Catholic household. My mom was my 7th and 8th grade religion teacher. Went to Catholic school from K-8, but not for high school because the closest one was in Lexington. I don't always agree with what the Catholic church preaches, but the overall, main beliefs I fully believe in. I didn't really appreciate it when a Priest told me women should be subserviant to men, and I find the whole birth control/abortion (really stirring it up now) views to be a bit of a double standard. In college I still go to church every other week and do little stuff like a short prayer before a crew race or stuff like that. I don't like forcing my views on other people that they should believe what I believe, but I don't mind sharing.

JoPol_wannabe
04-06-2001, 01:22 PM
I uesed to be German Reformed and I went to a German church in our town. (I live in a German Backround type town) But then When My brother started sunday school German was to hard for him to understand that we left that church and went to Hope Reformed Church, it has the same belifes as our old church.

Jo Polniaczec
04-06-2001, 01:25 PM
none

BlairW_2
04-07-2001, 08:37 PM
I don't know if I should say. There could be people who are out to kill people of my religion! Lol, jk. I go to church ect. I belive in one God, heaven and hell and stuff like that. its the common one.lol.

FOL-FAN
04-09-2001, 04:57 PM
Catholic

EdBrownJr
04-09-2001, 05:28 PM
Catholic.

------------------
GET OUT OF MY GARAGE!!!

Meg07945
04-10-2001, 10:50 PM
I have been to church exactly once.
And that was becuase I slept over at a friends house when I was, like 8, and they took me to church with them...My parents are the least religious people in the entire world. We celebrate Christmas and all, but....
anybody else like me?

------------------
~Meg~
*Opportunity does not knock, and then ring the doorbell, and then knock again, and then leave a note that says, "Sorry I missed you" and then call you on the phone.*
Stephanie: Nice move. Did you make that up
Tony: Yeah, well I saw it on TV first, then I made it up.

Jo_Polniaczek
04-13-2001, 12:51 PM
I used to belong to 'The Free Methodist' but then my Sunday School teacher got cancer ect... So, now I got to 'The Lighthouse Assembly of God'.

factsoflife
04-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Meg, i am like u i have not been to church in like 7 years.. but we celebrate all the catholic holidays. does anyone remember the old commercials for the church of jesuse christ for latter day saints that would come on during morning cartoons. they would featuer like a family arguing and then it would say " Help your family conncect become a mamber of the church for jesus christ of latter day saints."

KerriBerri687
04-18-2001, 03:54 PM
im jewish-im not real religious though-i sorta think i am the only jew on the board-but..uh..thatz k.

------------------
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Luv yaz!
~Kerri~
Pal2125@aol.com

Jinny- Intimate? No. I mean, i sleep with him. But i sleep with all the guys in the divison. It's sorta how i break em' in."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B- If I don't spend money soon i'm gonna pull my hair out!
J- good we'll finally get to see what color the roots are.

nancysbiggestfan
04-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Baptist

Carmen_Epstein
08-09-2002, 12:48 PM
I was baptised catholic, but i'm not religious either, I celebrate Christmas for the presents and Easter for the candy and egg coloring.

Kay Scarpetta
08-09-2002, 12:56 PM
I was baptized a Roman Catholic, but these days I don't know what the hell I am. I don't go to church, don't pray, nothing.

Mossopp
08-09-2002, 01:07 PM
I'm not religious. Organised religion scares the crap outta me!

Penny Lane
08-09-2002, 01:07 PM
A life-long Lutheran (Wisconsin Synod)

Sara Micelli
08-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Southern Baptist

ISmellFine
08-09-2002, 01:36 PM
*whispers* TABOO!

I'm Pentecostal. But I'm not religious...never really have liked going to church. *shrugs*

Titania
08-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Well, I do consider myself to be a pretty religious person. Im Christian, although I tend to switch denominations as often as most people change their shoes, Ive been Baptist, Lutheran, my mothers family belongs to the Society of Friends (Quaker) and I even did that for a little while, now I consider myself non-denominational Christian but attend a Presbyterian church.

Czas na Zywiec
08-09-2002, 02:12 PM
I'm a Catholic.

Crimson and Clover
08-09-2002, 02:24 PM
im the only one in my family that has a religion(besides my grandparents) im buddhist.

LucyFan
08-09-2002, 02:26 PM
I consider myself a Christain but other than that I don't what domination I belong to. I am currently going to a Lutheran church so I think that's the right domination for me. I tried Catholic and that failed. Some of their teachings I don't agree with. Oh yeah, I'm not that religious either.

~Tropical Punch 19~
08-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Well, I am definatly a Christian. I used to belong to a noin denominational church, but since we moved to the south it seems all the churches tehre are Baptist, so we go to a baptist church now. We do not go to church like every Sunday, we try.
I do attened youth group at a diffrent church every wednesday night. i believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I also believe in heaven and hell.

Will and Grace Fanatic
08-09-2002, 03:11 PM
I'm not religous. I don't beleive in God or anything like that. My family stopped being religous during my grandparents time. Before then my family was very religous. At least that's what I was told.

*Marilyn Monroe*
08-09-2002, 03:18 PM
I'm Lutheran-Missouri Synod.

XoVanillaRain90oX
08-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Well, let's see. I go to a Catholic school, therefore; I am Catholic. But the only time i go to Church, is when we have a service during school hours. I pray though...

dawsongirl
08-09-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm Christian...other than that, I'm nothing and don't want to be.

Jordan
08-09-2002, 04:34 PM
I believe in a higher power, but I don't belong to a religion. I was raised to be Catholic, though. :happyface :happyface :happyface

JoJoJoJoJoJoJoJoJo
08-09-2002, 11:55 PM
To me, some organized religions is way to cult like.. i belive in God, but my belifes are just ... not organized, i gues? I dunno..but no, i'm not relgious

GoldenGuy
08-10-2002, 01:13 AM
I'm christian. But I'm so damned confused on all the branches of christianity. what's the difference between a lutheran and a methadist or a baptist. I guess I'm like a plaint protestant

Rockapella722
08-10-2002, 02:21 AM
I used to be an Atheist. But now I'm nothing. I don't know if God exists. I've seen no proof to show me that he does, and none to prove he doesn't... so... yeah. :p

dark_gypsy
08-10-2002, 08:46 AM
I am not too religious, but I am Catholic. Born and raised to fear God and that if I did anything bad God would punish me for it. So now as I am older because that was burned into my brain sometimes i do feel that way. I pray and thank god for all that he has given me, but questions things all the time. Used to go to church alot because I was raised to believe that if you didnt go to church you would be punished. So pretty much I have my own beliefs now and know that all that I was raised with is not true. :wave:

Titania
08-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by GoldenGuy
I'm christian. But I'm so damned confused on all the branches of christianity. what's the difference between a lutheran and a methadist or a baptist. I guess I'm like a plaint protestant

I used to be confused about all the branches too. I mean, catholic is catholic but protestants have half a million denominations. Thats because during the Reformation where people started questioning the Catholic Church as being the only form of religion different people set up protestant churches. (ie- Martin Luther- Lutheranism, John Calvin- Calvinism (later Presbyterianism) etc....) So they all had subtle differences but over time became quite similar as they began to communicate. Yeah, sorry for the history lesson but Im into that stuff.