PDA

View Full Version : Why did the first Aunt Vivian leave?

Janice
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm sure it's been discussed here, but why exactly did Janet Hubert leave the show? I've read it was a contract dispute. I've also read that she a Will Smith didn't get along.

If that's true, what was the issue? I don't understand why two actors wouldn't get along to the point that one of them left a hit show.

TVFactFan
03-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm sure it's been discussed here, but why exactly did Janet Hubert leave the show? I've read it was a contract dispute. I've also read that she a Will Smith didn't get along.

If that's true, what was the issue? I don't understand why two actors wouldn't get along to the point that one of them left a hit show.

Her role being decreased on the show was part of it too. This is also one of my research assigments for 2006-lol

mstewart
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Her role being decreased on the show was part of it too. This is also one of my research assigments for 2006-lol

Her role was decreased the season she got pregnant, 92-93 season, and you can see she was angry in those episodes and did not look thrill to be there. I saw a big difference in Janet Hubert-Whitten's acting in 92-93 season compared to the first two seasons of the show. She played Vivian well with a lot of energy and attitude in the first two seasons compared to her final season on the show. Especially as the 92-93 season progressed her screen time was decreasing more and more and she looked mad in her scenes. Janet Hubert-Whitten is an underrated actress and given she never did a sitcom was excellent. Daphene Maxwell Reid was not good in that role and was just plain on the show.

JulieSomoski
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I heard that, but I also heard that Janet HUbert-Whitten became pregnant in real life the time the end of the third season, and since she just had had a baby on the show in the third season, there was no way her pregnancy could be worked into the show, so she was imediately fired and recasting began for the second Vivian.

I also heard what you guys said too.

Janice
03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks Solomon. I'd like to know the story behind it. Why did they decrease her role, and what was the problem between her and Will Smith?

Scoobiedoo30
03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I like The First Aunt Vivian They Made a Big Mistake Letting her go

megamanj2004
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Talk about Jumping the Shark!!!

Fresh Prince jumped when:

Same Character, Different Actor!

I had a thing for Janet Hubert back then! Not only was she a very talented and very underrated actress, but also very beautiful, too! And I even liked her guest appearance on Jamie Foxx Show, too!

I greatly disdained Benny Medina or whoever was responsible for nicking her in favor of that zero talent of none-acting monkey that is Daphne Maxwell Reid!

She was very horrible on this show as Vivian! Just watching her eps. made me cringe in my seat! Not that she couldn't act or nothin' it's just as her role as Vivian, I'm sorry but she wasn't that great at all on here!

TVFactFan
03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks Solomon. I'd like to know the story behind it. Why did they decrease her role, and what was the problem between her and Will Smith?

I think because these characters were FUNNIER-lol

Geoffery
Uncle Phil
Will
Carlton

James"Thunder"Early
03-15-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't know the whole story, but I think there might have been tension between Will Smith and Janet Hubert, I posted about this before I have to find the information again.

Here it is:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n18_v84/ai_14330371

Smith, Whitten feud over her 'Fresh Prince' exit - 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' actors Janet Hubert-Whitten and Will Smith
Jet, August 30, 1993
new

Save a personal copy of this article and quickly find it again with Furl.net. It's free! Save it.

As Daphne Maxwell Reid was signed to replace Janet Hubert-Whitten in NBC's sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," the war of words between Ms. Hubert-Whitten and Will Smith, star of the series, has heated up.

Ms. Maxwell Reid co-starred with her husband Tim Reid on the acclaimed CBS series "Frank's Place" and made guest appearances on "WKRP In Cincinnati." On |Fresh Prince' she will be Smith's knowledgeable and sympathetic aunt Vivian Banks.

In one of the most highly-publicized departures in recent memory, Ms. Hubert-Whitten was fired from "Fresh Prince" following what she described as a feud with network officials. She had told Jet and other media outlets that her termination was some sort of vendetta against her and she did not know the origin of it.

Smith was quoted in the Atlanta Journal as saying that Ms. Hubert-Whitten brought a lot of her problems to work and that the problems lasted well beyond her pregnancy. The paper quoted him as telling a local radio station: "I can say straight up that Janet Hubert wanted the show to be |The Aunt Viv of Bel-Air Show' because I know she is going to dog me in the press ... She has basically gone from a quarter of a million dollars a year to nothing. She's mad now but she's been mad all along. She said once, |I've been in the business for 10 years and this snotty-nosed punk comes along and gets a show.' No matter what, to her I'm just the AntiChrist."

Initially, Ms. Hubert-Whitten was reluctant to get specific about the nature of her firing. Now, after reading about Smith's Atlanta interview, she has indicated that Smith played a role in her termination. She also said that many of the remarks he is quoted as having said are not true. "He probably is responsible for my firing. He has a lot of clout. It's-too bad that it's a Black-on-Black attack. I tried not to name names. I have more class than that. I wish Will would tell the truth. If you're going to talk, tell the truth. He has gotten me fired from the show and now he is trying to snatch my career away from me (with his recent comments). I have not slandered him in any way. Anyone who stands up to Mr. Smith on "Fresh Prince" is gone. I reprimanded him constantly for being rude to problem and locking himself up in his room....

She said she hopes Smith becomes "a stronger, Kinder Black man than he has demonstrated." Smith could not be reached for comment at Jet press time.

COPYRIGHT 1993 Johnson Publishing Co.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

Janice
03-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the article Doc. That's pretty much what I thought. Sounds like a clash of egos. It's too bad they couldn't iron out their differences.

megamanj2004
03-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Talk about veeeery intense there! :crazy: