PDA

View Full Version : Trucker Serial Killer (Ohio region)

buckeyeblogger
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Just saw this story for the 2nd time last Friday, I believe I saw it when it originally aired. I must say that I'm not shocked that is has never been solved. The reporter that broke the story in the Columbus Dispatch (this would have been early-mid 1990's) didn't even sound sure that a suspect would ever materialize.

Are police still actively pursuing this case? I realize that's a strange question but it's one of those cases that sounds like it may have gone cold. Any of you sleuths know anything that has happened in the case since UM first aired it? Have there ever been any updates on other episodes?

The UM segment really kinda creeped me out, especially all of the early dawn shots of the 18 wheeler on the highway with the creepy music.. those producers deserved an Emmy for their gift of pure suspense.

U.M. Fanatic
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
The UM segment really kinda creeped me out, especially all of the early dawn shots of the 18 wheeler on the highway with the creepy music.. those producers deserved an Emmy for their gift of pure suspense.

I feel the same way.:eek:

DarkDante
02-20-2006, 07:52 PM
This may be one of the creepiest segments they've ever done period and one reason for this is they don't air this segment a great deal. You tend to forget about it because the victims are "general" rather than "specific" (such as Rhonda Hinson - that is a very specific case) but then it airs every once in awhile and it just creeps you out all over again.

crystaldawn
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Nice avatar Dante...:rolleyes: :lol:

I agree one of the creepier UM segments with the dark eerie truck stop scenes. I did locate Michael Berens (he's no longer in Ohio) and just sent him an email asking him if he could share any additional info with us or if there have been any arrests in the case. If he responds I will post the info here.

DarkDante
02-20-2006, 11:10 PM
This coming from someone who only has a stupid wreath of flowers as her avatar. You are such an electra fraud CD its not even funny ;)

buckeyeblogger
02-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Nice avatar Dante...:rolleyes: :lol:

I agree one of the creepier UM segments with the dark eerie truck stop scenes. I did locate Michael Berens (he's no longer in Ohio) and just sent him an email asking him if he could share any additional info with us or if there have been any arrests in the case. If he responds I will post the info here.

Thanks Crystaldawn

crystaldawn
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Okay I did hear back from Michael Berens today. This is what he wrote:

Heather,
This is a story that continues to follow me, as do the calls from people who claim they know the suspect. No charges have been filed. There've been many temporary suspects, but credit card receipts and other evidence eventually exonerated them. There is so much to this case. And there are many valiant law enforcement officers who helped me assemble the first stories so many years ago.
Here's a brief recap: All the victims were truck stop prostitutes; none worked city streets. All were strangled or beaten - or both; none were shot or stabbed. All were dumped on the edge of the roadway, or on the roadway (the theory is the killer opened the passenger door and pushed them out of the cab; grass pattern analysis indicated that bodies fell a short distance). The killer kept articles of clothing. In some cases, the killer dumped an article of clothing in the middle of the road every few miles from the body. Many of the bodies were found more than 100 miles from the abduction point. Police theorized the killer had a refrigerated truck. Some investigators suspected the killer had a law enforcement background. For instance, three victims worked the same truck stop (Union 76 in Austintown, Ohio), yet their bodies were found in three different counties - three different jurisdictions. This is why the killer went undetected do long, perhaps.
You might be surprised how many long-haul truckers have sexual criminal records and then frequented the same truck stops. I was. Police centered on a trucker as a suspect because the victims only worked truck stops, usually via CB radio. The victims had a history of never leaving the stop with a trucker.
Over the years there have been many similar crimes. I've had many "interesting" contacts. A group of college students in Iowa once claimed they had tied the killings to the Zodiac (not true, of course). And a woman once discovered a secret photo book filled with pictures of naked women, some possibly bound, that had been collected by her husband (she believed he was the truck stop killer; he wasn't). It's impossible for me to know what linkage, if any, there may be without access to forensic tests. But I've often wondered if the killer died, went to jail, went underground or continued. Good luck with your discussion.
And, of course, if anyone dredges up a tip they should call the FBI.

- mike

LooksLikeCRicci
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow. Thanks, Crystaldawn.

I also agree with the earlier comments about this being one of the creepier UM segments. To me, it's right up there with the segment (or it might have been a Special Alert) about the search for another person who was killing prostitutes... but this one would dump the bodies in trash bins and landfills. I think it may have been in Cinncinnati.

palmyrafan
02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I lived in Columbus, Ohio at the time these killings were going on. I moved there from Indianapolis, Indiana in 1980.

There was a serial killer in Westfield, Indiana (my hometown) in the early 1990's. Although known for targetting gays in the downtown clubs of Indianapolis (Herb was a bisexual) and was known to have killed many of those he picked up in Indy, according to the Indianapolis Police Department, the killer, Herb Baumeister, also made frequent business trips to Ohio, including Columbus during that time. He owned his own business and the dates of his trips coincided with disappearances of many people. He travelled 70 East and was known to pick up hitchhikers at rest stops and truck stops.

The police, for many years, have been investigating Herb as the potential serial killer along the I-70 corridor between Indy and Columbus. They noted that when Herb Baumeister committed suicide, most of the abductions and killings stopped.

Worth looking into? I believe it is highly likely that Herb Baumeister was the serial killer. It does not make sense that he would only kill in Indiana and not when he would be travelling on business in Ohio. Especially the hitchikers and "undesirables" he would target and pick up.

ferrariboy
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
I lived in Columbus, Ohio at the time these killings were going on. I moved there from Indianapolis, Indiana in 1980.

There was a serial killer in Westfield, Indiana (my hometown) in the early 1990's. Although known for targetting gays in the downtown clubs of Indianapolis (Herb was a bisexual) and was known to have killed many of those he picked up in Indy, according to the Indianapolis Police Department, the killer, Herb Baumeister, also made frequent business trips to Ohio, including Columbus during that time. He owned his own business and the dates of his trips coincided with disappearances of many people. He travelled 70 East and was known to pick up hitchhikers at rest stops and truck stops.

The police, for many years, have been investigating Herb as the potential serial killer along the I-70 corridor between Indy and Columbus. They noted that when Herb Baumeister committed suicide, most of the abductions and killings stopped.

Worth looking into? I believe it is highly likely that Herb Baumeister was the serial killer. It does not make sense that he would only kill in Indiana and not when he would be travelling on business in Ohio. Especially the hitchikers and "undesirables" he would target and pick up.
I saw a special on this guy once.

I believe it was called The Secret Life Of A Serial Killer.

patty1019
04-06-2006, 03:53 AM
are the murders still going on? anyone got a link to where i might read more on this if they are still happening?

patty1019

buckeyeblogger
04-07-2006, 08:33 PM
are the murders still going on? anyone got a link to where i might read more on this if they are still happening?

From what I understand, the murders just stopped abruptly. Although, as I'm sure has been mentioned before, the trucker could have moved on to another part of the country and kept up his behavior or he could have just stopped.

I guess that can happen..

LooksLikeCRicci
04-10-2006, 10:57 AM
From what I understand, the murders just stopped abruptly. Although, as I'm sure has been mentioned before, the trucker could have moved on to another part of the country and kept up his behavior or he could have just stopped.

I guess that can happen..

From my experience (and I'm hoping Kane or Crystaldawn can back me up here), serial killers don't usually stop. If the murders have quit occuring where they had been happening before, chances are that the serial killer has either moved, been incarcerated for a different crime, or they have died.

Kane
04-10-2006, 06:37 PM
From my experience (and I'm hoping Kane or Crystaldawn can back me up here), serial killers don't usually stop. If the murders have quit occuring where they had been happening before, chances are that the serial killer has either moved, been incarcerated for a different crime, or they have died.

I've learned that important lesson, too. There are many types of criminals that cannot be reformed; therefore, no matter what method of rehabilitation you give them, they will not change. Serial killers are no exception. They may stop killing for a period of time, but eventually they resume their evil deeds.

In fact, I have a serial killer living in my house! :eek: :lol: Actually, it's my orange and white cat. She has killed some birds, but most of her victims are mice. So far, to the best of my knowledge, she has gone a lengthy period of time without any carnage. But sooner or later, she will kill again.

Now to return to the subject, yes there's always an explanation as to why a serial killer isn't heard from in a long time. They may have moved away (perhaps committing new crimes that have yet to be linked to their old ones); they may be deceased; they may be incapacitated (in a coma, suffering from a crippling disease, etc.); they may be in prison for an unrelated offense; they may be deceased.

I remember what Robert Stack said in the UM segment about the so-called Valley Killer (the serial killer who struck in New Hampshire during the 1980s). He noted that the best hope is that the killer is incarcerated for another crime; the worst nightmare is that he's still on the loose.

justins5256
04-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I've learned that important lesson, too. There are many types of criminals that cannot be reformed; therefore, no matter what method of rehabilitation you give them, they will not change. Serial killers are no exception. They may stop killing for a period of time, but eventually they resume their evil deeds.

Kane,

Do you think this applies to serial rapists as well? For example, I've always wondered what became of the Boston shopping mall rapist. He was never heard from again after the UM broadcast. I could understand if he saw or heard about the broadcast, or perhaps felt that the possibility of getting caught was becoming ever the more likely, so he "took a break" from offending. But, one would think he would relapse and repeat this behavior eventually. Unless, as you said, he was incarcerated, dead, moved, or otherwise incapacitated. Or, do you think he was he capable of controlling his behavior?

Thanks.

LooksLikeCRicci
04-10-2006, 11:07 PM
I know this was directed at Kane, but I thought I'd throw my opinion out there... I DO think this applies to serial rapists. I don't have a really optimistic look on serial rapists, however. When serial rapists suddenly stop, I tend to think that they have either been incarcerated, they have moved, they have died... or they have started killing people.

A good example would be the rapist who stalked the female joggers. He started out raping women and got more and more brutal until the women started dying.

I don't know. I'm sure Kane will have a more elaborate answer. I hope this helps, Justin.

justins5256
04-10-2006, 11:37 PM
A good example would be the rapist who stalked the female joggers. He started out raping women and got more and more brutal until the women started dying.

Glad you brought that case up. As I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), there was a delay between the time of some of his later attacks. Didn't his last two attacks occur two or three years apart? Has he struck since? His last rape (murder?) was in '94 or so (according to the old UM story).

It's morbid, I know. But, a part of me just wonders what people like this do with their downtime, and why there is not more continuity with regard to the timing of the attacks. I suppose he could have been incarcerated for short periods of time, or just trying really hard to "abstain". Which brings up my original question, is abstaining from such behavior even possible for a serial offender?

Kane
04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Kane,

Do you think this applies to serial rapists as well? For example, I've always wondered what became of the Boston shopping mall rapist. He was never heard from again after the UM broadcast. I could understand if he saw or heard about the broadcast, or perhaps felt that the possibility of getting caught was becoming ever the more likely, so he "took a break" from offending. But, one would think he would relapse and repeat this behavior eventually. Unless, as you said, he was incarcerated, dead, moved, or otherwise incapacitated. Or, do you think he was he capable of controlling his behavior?

Thanks.

I'd say it applies to all serial criminals (serial killers, serial rapists, etc.). Although they might refrain from repeating their acts for long periods, their criminal behavior tends to be compulsive. While I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, I've had some good studying on it.

As for the Boston serial rapist you mentioned, I haven't found anything on the internet related to the case. So unfortunately, I don't know the current status of that case. Although I live near Boston, I really didn't become familiar with the case until I saw the UM segment.

Kane
04-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I know this was directed at Kane, but I thought I'd throw my opinion out there... I DO think this applies to serial rapists. I don't have a really optimistic look on serial rapists, however. When serial rapists suddenly stop, I tend to think that they have either been incarcerated, they have moved, they have died... or they have started killing people.

Wasn't that the serial rapist who struck in New York (state)? If so, he has been linked to only one murder. The murder victim was Linda S. Yalem.

crystaldawn
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM

My two cents. Yes I agree that any type of serial rapist or murderer isn't just going to decide what he's doing is wrong and stop. There are, however, a miriad of reasons why they would no longer offend. Obviously incarceration or death are the two main ones but he could have an illness (such as cancer or something where they're bedridden) that prohibits him from doing it. He could even hold an everyday job and get transferred and will adapt to his new surroundings for a while before he begins offending in his new climate. Most times when they move and start reoffending police don't even connect the same person to the new set of crimes unless of course there is a dna match. Even just aging I think could prohibit some from continuing their evil ways. Thinking the police are closing in on them and not wanting to die in prison. Of course for whatever reason a serial offender stops offending is of course a good one.

NEWYORKEX
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Kane,

Thanks.

They DO NOT change, infirmity , jail or death are the things that stop them , along with aging, the mindset, the incorrectly wired brain remains, it cannot change. They may not continue to kill but the mindset remains the same. Opportunity is disallowed. The fear of getting caught is part of the game. The beating of the system, the outwitting of the investigators is as sensual to them as the act's of the murder and the events leading to the death's of the victims's. He controls his behavior it just does not seem to most that he does because his "normal" behavior to himself is outrageous to society.

The "Mask of Sanity" keeps his anonymity intact, his normal acts are outrageous, he cannot change.

Allierain
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about what Robert Stack said at the end of this segment. He stated that authorities discovered over 150 other unsolved homicides around the nation which matched the basic pattern of the Ohio prostitute serial killer.

So that leads me to two conclusions: Either the Ohio killings were connected but isolated in Ohio alone, and the killer died or was jailed, or the killings were not just happening in Ohio. The killer might have committed such homicides all over the country. Maybe later on, in the 90s or even in the new century, he was jailed or died somehow.

Likely we'll never know. But I've been surprised before...

MegtheEgg86
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
I've never felt this was definitely the work of a serial killer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a journalist was the first person to suggest that the murders looked to be the work of a serial killer, as part of an article or series of articles that were published in the Columbus newspaper he worked for. Only after the article(s) were published, supposedly, did any law enforcement agency begin to investigate these cases in a joint effort as they felt they could be related. The article(s) suggested that A) a serial killer was most likely on the loose and was probably a trucker, and B) that law enforcement was not aggressively pursuing the cases because the victims were known or supposed prostitutes.

I don't intend to ruffle any feathers, but journalists are notorious for piecing together events that make for sensational headlines, especially if they're writing about crime. In fact, there have been more than a few instances of journalists either exaggerating or totally fabricating information (especially regarding numbers of victims) in order to suggest that a phantom killer is INDEED stalking the area. Regardless of the truth, it sells newspapers. While it certainly wouldn't be implausible to conclude that the murders of a similar group of people in a specific area are possibly related, I really think it takes more than that alone to make that determination.

What bothers me is the deduction he makes: that law enforcement doesn't care about prostitutes, because they're prostitutes. There seems to be no consideration that perhaps there's poor communication between the agencies, or the separate investigations have come to dead ends, or that at least two of the respective agencies HAD collaborated on cases and had found nothing to suggest they were definitely related. Again, though, it has the potential to outrage the public, and, most importantly, to sell newspapers.

I would be utterly shocked to learn that at least one state in this nation does not have a murder case involving a known or suspected prostitute found along an interstate. The idea of "wanting to know" if other states have had murders with a "similar pattern" is utterly ridiculous. Of course they do. Are they all the the work of a single individual? Of course they aren't. Many cases in the same state aren't the work of a single individual. And if all the agencies have to go on is that all the victims are known or suspected prostitutes (we're all aware of the staggeringly high risk that goes along with that particular occupation) and that they were discovered along major traffic arteries (prostitutes are often transient), that's hardly a case.

Truck drivers are not the only people who utilize the interstates, nor are they prostitution's sole customer base, nor are they even the only individuals that frequent truck stops (and this was never defined. Were they truck stops, or were they rest stops with truck parking? There's a difference). To automatically assume that all this was definitely the work of a truck driver is premature, even in regards to one of the victims being found in a state that suggested she'd been refrigerated for some time (as if a refrigerated trailer could be the ONLY explanation for that :rolleyes:). Again, truck drivers are not the only individuals traveling the interstates, nor are they the only ones seeking prostitutes' services.

Certainly, there have been truck drivers who have also turned out to be serial killers--who do go carousing the interstates for victims. In fact, it's an ideal occupation for a serial murderer: your movements are harder to trace; you have a plethora of victims to choose from (and can leave them in an area far away from where you live without going out of your way); you're paid little attention for the most part. Of course, there have also been many, many transient murderers. I suppose the I-70 Killer must be a truck driver with a raging hatred for brunette women, and the Connecticut River Valley Killer must have been hauling for a firm in New England. There is NOTHING to suggest that a truck driver committed all of these murders, except

A) the victims all apparently frequented truck stops,
B) one was last seen getting into a driver's cab,
C) all were beaten or strangled or "both" (beating and strangulation are two completely different MO's, but here I state the obvious), and
D) one was discovered in a state that suggested she had been in a "climate-controlled" environment for a month, thus could have preserved in a refrigerated trailer.

It's not an illogical theory, and I understand law enforcement can only work with what information immediately appears similar in order to pursue clearer avenues. Nonetheless, it's still not solid and all too circumstancial to definitely indicate a truck driver (the SAME truck driver, at that) is involved.

(Just as a footnote, I find particularly humorous the suggestion that the killer is based in Ohio. It's a large state with at least three major metropolitan areas. How many non-residents pass through the state of Ohio each and every day, especially truck drivers?)

In a nutshell: I think this is a classic case of media scare, much in the vein of every satanic cult allegation known to man. I think there have been many other cases involving unidentified serial killers that are far more clearly the work of a single individual. The I-70 murders are linked not only by site and victim selection, but a weapon. The CRV murders are tied together by cause of death, a very small geographic area, and victim profile. The so-called "Ohio Trucker Serial Killer" is based on wide speculation and little else.

I apologize for the long-windedness, but I obviously feel pretty strongly about this. You're probably a saint if you've read this post the whole way through.

klavkhalash
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
wouldnt some prostitutes carry a weapon or some sort?

maybe in attempting to strangle one, he finally lost. I wonder if around the time the killings stopped there was an unsolved report or a truck driver murdered?

TracyLynnS
03-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I was travelling through ohio in september and december of 1994, along I75. I remember seeing a "missing" poster of at least one woman taped on the door of a gas station.

The one I can remember clearly was a blonde. But it seems like I remember seeing more than one "missing" poster at one location and thinking, "What the heck is going on here? I don't think I'm in a very safe area."

Mastermind
03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
What bothers me is the deduction he makes: that law enforcement doesn't care about prostitutes, because they're prostitutes. There seems to be no consideration that perhaps there's poor communication between the agencies, or the separate investigations have come to dead ends, or that at least two of the respective agencies HAD collaborated on cases and had found nothing to suggest they were definitely related. Again, though, it has the potential to outrage the public, and, most importantly, to sell newspapers.

Ruffling feathers on this site? Pshaw:D

Seriously, you do make a good point that most of this case is built on the journalists deductions about this case. If the women were killed in one city or county, I do believe this case would have been given a lot of attention.

It could be argued that if you looked at any section of the country for a period of time, you could find a large amount of unsolved prostitute murders that may not necessarily be related to one killer. Violent Pimps, irate customers, sexual deviants, cover-ups, drug murders, veneral disease, malnutrition and suicide are frequent reasons for prostitute deaths that are unsolved.

It has been hypothesized that their may not be one Ohio Prostitute Killer but possible multiple serial killers working along the same territory. I tend to feel this might be the case here.

However there appears to be a consistent MO where the bodies are frozen in a trailer fridge. This would appear to indicate that the core murders are the work of one killer.

What is truly amazing and frightening about this case is that because this guy is a truck driver, he could easily be killing in another state or across multiple states and coasts.

One reason this guy might have stopped killing is that he is no longer a truck driver anymore. It's possible he retired. Maybe he;s retired to a small town or back home and had to find another way to kill prostitutes. Perhaps he;s morphed into a new serial killer. :eek:

Drakken
03-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Or perhaps he mellowed out, like a few serial killers. Angelo Buono and Dennis Rader did stop killing for a long while before being arrested.

But I agree the case isn't very compelling. But weren't these prostitutes linked to a trucker using the handle "Stargazer", "Doctor No", or "Dragon"?

Also, if they have been raped or had intercourse, DNA could have been extracted from the semen in some of the victims and, thus, prove or infirm today whether they had been taken by the same person.

Mastermind
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Also, if they have been raped or had intercourse, DNA could have been extracted from the semen in some of the victims and, thus, prove or infirm today whether they had been taken by the same person.

I could be wrong, but I don;t think he raped his victims or had intercourse with them. I believe he simply brutally murdered them. Anyone verify that there was no rape or intercourse?

Also, the DNA could be from a "JOHN" and not necessarily from the killer.

But I agree the case isn't very compelling. But weren't these prostitutes linked to a trucker using the handle "Stargazer", "Doctor No", or "Dragon"?

That may be the biggest clue in this case. I can;t imagine there were that many truckers back then that frequented reststops and used those unusual handles. Somewhere there was a prostitute or truck driver who remembers someone using those handles.

Stargazer is an unusual handle, if you ask me.

Drakken
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
As for the preconceived notion that LE does not care about solving unsolved murder cases in which the victims are prostitutes, this has been demonstratively proven false in many high-profile cases in the past.

When Gary Ridgeway was killing dozens of prostitutes and dumping them in the Green River, the public pressure to solve the case was enormous, it was everywhere in the local news. Same with Jack the Stripper in London during the sixties, and the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, during the 1970s and 1980s.

Hell, even Jack the Ripper is a clear case of the contrary. It was a very mediatized crime spree if we take in account the fact that all known victims were lowlife women forced into prostitution for a drink in the gutters of East London. In essence, losers that, in the Victorian skewedly high-minded thinking of the time, were considered almost deserving of this fate for living in alcoholism and debauchery. That didn't stop the police to withstand constant pressure from both the public and high echelons of society, and even Queen Victoria herself, to solve the case quickly.

And there is a good reason for that: Any attractive woman walking the streets could potentially be confused for a prostitute. And quite a few normal women murdered because a serial killer thought they were hookers.

I don't think that the police were "forced" to investigate all of these cases because it was being advertised by the media, as the journalist in the segment was postulating. Murders of people in the sex trade are indeed investigated and are not to be confused with investigating missing persons involved in the sex trade, because these are usually transient and can very well decided to cut themselves from their families for any given reason.

Also, it is inescapable that the mounting number of victims will increase the priority of solving the cases of women coming from the same social strata, even if they are prostitutes. That being said, LE are always very reticent in advertising that a serial killer in on the loose, but rarely is it the media who connect the dots first.

MegtheEgg86
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
As for the preconceived notion that LE does not care about solving unsolved murder cases in which the victims are prostitutes, this has been demonstratively proven false in many high-profile cases in the past.

When Gary Ridgeway was killing dozens of prostitutes and dumping them in the Green River, the public pressure to solve the case was enormous, it was everywhere in the local news. Same with Jack the Stripper in London during the sixties, and the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, during the 1970s and 1980s.

Hell, even Jack the Ripper is a clear case of the contrary. It was a very mediatized crime spree if we take in account the fact that all known victims were lowlife women forced into prostitution for a drink in the gutters of East London. In essence, losers that, in the Victorian skewedly high-minded thinking of the time, were considered almost deserving of this fate for living in alcoholism and debauchery. That didn't stop the police to withstand constant pressure from both the public and high echelons of society, and even Queen Victoria herself, to solve the case quickly.

And there is a good reason for that: Any attractive woman walking the streets could potentially be confused for a prostitute. And quite a few normal women murdered because a serial killer thought they were hookers.

I don't think that the police were "forced" to investigate all of these cases because it was being advertised by the media, as the journalist in the segment was postulating. Murders of people in the sex trade are indeed investigated and are not to be confused with investigating missing persons involved in the sex trade, because these are usually transient and can very well decided to cut themselves from their families for any given reason.

Also, it is inescapable that the mounting number of victims will increase the priority of solving the cases of women coming from the same social strata, even if they are prostitutes. That being said, LE are always very reticent in advertising that a serial killer in on the loose, but rarely is it the media who connect the dots first.

Completely and totally agreed. In fact, one of the first things that jumped into my mind as the Dispatch journalist was speaking on the prostitute matter was the Green River Killer.

Mastermind
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
That being said, LE are always very reticent in advertising that a serial killer in on the loose, but rarely is it the media who connect the dots first.

Usually it's some ambitious detective who looks for a case linking his to another. He speaks to one detective in another county they see a similarity in cases. They find another case with the same MO and there you have it--Serial Killer investigation.

One of the things that I don;t think people realize is how widespread and common abuse and murder is among prostitutes. It's the worlds oldest and most dangerous profession.

What might be a prostitute serial killer murder, could also be some pimp taking retribution against his girl. Pimps have been known to torture and sexually abuse their girls in bizzare ways as a sign to others.

Prostitution also tends to bring out sexual deviants all shapes and sizes. it may not be a serial killer but just some guy with a one time fetish about killing a women.

JackTripper25
06-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm interested in this story because my friends and I talked to this guy on the CB back in the early 90's. We live in a small town in Ohio and as a teenager there wasn't much to do, so my friends and I thought it would be fun to get some CB radios and talk to each other. One night we were talking and this guy started talking with us. He told us that his handle was "Dr. No." He said that he drove truck and that it took him across most of the major highways in Ohio. He never said who he worked for, and we never asked. We figured it was none of our business. Anyways he'd get on pretty often and chat with us for a bit, and every time he would have a different woman with him. We thought that was a bit strange, but again, none of our business, so we didn't ask. We talked to him from late 1990 on into the summer of 1991 and he vanished. We never heard from him again. Then in 1994 I was watching an episode of Unsolved Mysteries that was about a truck driver who was killing prostitutes in Ohio during the early 1990's and he went by the CB handle "Dr. No." Needless to say it sent chills down my spine.

Does anybody have a link to where I can view this episode online? I've tried youtube and what not, but can't find it. It's been 15 years since I've seen it and I'd like to check it out again. I don't have any info that could help the authorities out in anyway, but it's been 15 years since I've seen it and I'd like to check it out again.

kadrmas15
06-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Wow, Jacktripper that is spooky! I will also say that is one heck of a coincidence for the guy you were talking to on CB to disappear right after the UM episode would have been aired. What was this guy's personality like? I believe in the UM segment, Stack said the trucker, whomever he is that killed these women used several different CB names, among them were Dr. No, Stargazer and Dragon. This is one of a few cases on UM where a CB handle comes into play. Dexter Stefonek who was murdered in Montana in 1985, his killer used the CB handle hotjock. Dwayne McCorkandale who was murdered in Oklahoma in 1988 also had a CB angle play into his case.

JackTripper25
06-08-2009, 02:09 AM
I found an episode guide and found out when the episode originally aired. It aired Feb. 19th, 1992. I saw the episode as a rerun in May of 1994. He stopped talking to us back in the summer of 1991, so it was a good 6 or 7 months before the episode originally aired. My memory of the episode is kind of cloudy which is why I wanted to see it again. I didn't realize that Stack mentioned any other CB handles. After I heard Dr. No I was in such a shock that I really didn't hear much else of what he said.

With it being 18 to 19 years ago I don't really recall all of what we talked about. Like I said before he told us he was a truck driver and that it took him all over the state. He seemed to be a nice guy. Most of the guys around here at the time was pretty rude on the CB (kind of like most of the idiots in chat rooms.) But he didn't seem odd or demented in any way and he certainly didn't give off any signs that he was the monster that he was.

MegtheEgg86
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm interested in this story because my friends and I talked to this guy on the CB back in the early 90's. We live in a small town in Ohio and as a teenager there wasn't much to do, so my friends and I thought it would be fun to get some CB radios and talk to each other. One night we were talking and this guy started talking with us. He told us that his handle was "Dr. No." He said that he drove truck and that it took him across most of the major highways in Ohio. He never said who he worked for, and we never asked. We figured it was none of our business. Anyways he'd get on pretty often and chat with us for a bit, and every time he would have a different woman with him. We thought that was a bit strange, but again, none of our business, so we didn't ask. We talked to him from late 1990 on into the summer of 1991 and he vanished. We never heard from him again. Then in 1994 I was watching an episode of Unsolved Mysteries that was about a truck driver who was killing prostitutes in Ohio during the early 1990's and he went by the CB handle "Dr. No." Needless to say it sent chills down my spine.

Whoa! That's scary. Although I feel strongly that these murders may not have been committed by the same person, I do think it's quite plausible that at least two could've been.

Even if you don't feel like you have any valuable information, it's still information. Call in a tip. At the very least, you've done a good thing, even if it comes to nil. I actually think someone on the board called one in not too long ago on another case, IIRC.

I travel quite a bit through Ohio (and I mean ALL the way through, from Cincinnati to Toledo), and I'm alway thinking of this segment when I do. :(

ZanzibarBlue
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

I highly recommend Dave Cullen's new book "Columbine" which is an indepth study of the school shooting tragedy 10 yrs. ago. Check out Chap. 40, which is a very interesting and readable examination of psychopathy, and how Erik Harris may have been an undiagnosed psychopath. The author notes not only the "mask of sanity" that psycopaths have, but also their tendency to analyze emotions rather than experiencing them. One of the ways that a mental health professional can screen individuals is not asking them what they were thinking during an experience, but how the experience made them FEEL. Oftentimes, a psycopath will be unable to answer the question. The discussion also raises two interesting points relative to your quote above.

First, studies have revealed that a large percentage of psycopaths stop acting violently when they reach middle age and some begin to develop the ability to experience emotions. This may explain why people like Dennis Rader and Angelo Buono stopped killing as they aged. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly why this occurs.

Second, health professionals have noticed that by using an fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) scan the brain waves of people w/ psycopathy are different than those not afflicted. It promises to be a tool whereby psycopaths can be identified.

Finally, there is a mental health professional who conducted a treatment program on people who were diagnosed as psycopaths. According to his results, the people who underwent the treatment were over 2x likely not to act out violently toward others.

Not exactly on topic, but wanted to send this along.

conservativejoe
07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
here are a few interesting links related to trucker serial killings

fbi looking into multiple trucker serial killers as many as 500
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/05/local/me-serialkillers5

locations of hundreds of bodies and human remains discovered along highways over the past three decades
http://spectaculent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mapofkillings12231.jpg

a trucker serial killer gets caught
http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=6787407

fbi has had over 200 serial killer trucker suspects in last 30 years
http://www.theblogofrecord.com/2009/04/07/truck-driving-preferred-profession-for-serial-killers-fbi-says/

i wouldn't hitch a ride with a trucker if i were you

Mastermind
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Sadly, the prostitutes did not have a choice. Much like Jack the Ripper's victims.
:(

MegtheEgg86
07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
here are a few interesting links related to trucker serial killings

fbi looking into multiple trucker serial killers as many as 500
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/05/local/me-serialkillers5

locations of hundreds of bodies and human remains discovered along highways over the past three decades
http://spectaculent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mapofkillings12231.jpg

fbi has had over 200 serial killer trucker suspects in last 30 years
http://www.theblogofrecord.com/2009/04/07/truck-driving-preferred-profession-for-serial-killers-fbi-says/

The media's done its job, then. It loves creating irrational fears to sell its product.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=164977&page=2&highlight=ohio+trucker

Post #24.

conservativejoe
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
hmm i would be ok with a exaggerated fear statement, but irrational seems inappropriate. speaking of fear that was your 666 post meg.

Mastermind
07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
hmm i would be ok with a exaggerated fear statement, but irrational seems inappropriate. speaking of fear that was your 666 post meg.

Quick someone get that priest from the Rainboy segment!!!!

XCalibur
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I may have something of an update on this case, as I haven't seen this discussed in this thread I am assuming no one on the board knows it. I know it because it happened not far from where I live and it was on the local news here.

There was a man arrested near Bristol, Tennessee in 1995 named Sean Patrick Goble, and it was in connection with several murders which occured in North Carolina and Tennessee of truck stop prostitutes. The MO was very similar to the Ohio slayings, and he did go by the CB handle Stargazer, same as the Ohio killer.

To the best of my knowledge, Goble's trucking routes did take him across Ohio. But the public defender in the area has not allowed him to be interviewed, so there is some doubt about exactly how many truck driving slayings he has been involved in. I have understood that these slaying stopped around the mid 90's, around the time of his arrest. So if thats the case it definitely makes him a person of interest and may well have solved the case at least to some degree.

Unsolved Mysteries mentioned that there were well over 100 unsolved murders similar to this, so I doubt if Goble was responsible for all of them. But I still felt it was well worth mentioning in this thread, as it certainly seems possible he was involved in at least some of the Ohio slayings, though nothing is certain. And its noteworthy that the man responsible for at least some of these slayings could already be in jail.

If anyone has followed this case it would be interesting to compare notes. Goble was 29 years old when he was arrested in 1995, but I'm not sure when the murders started. If anyone who lives in Ohio is on the board and can elaborate on some details feel free to post and tell me what you think about the possibility of this guy being involved in some of the Ohio slayings.

This is the best article I could find on Goble:
http://everything2.com/title/The+Stargazer+killer

Enjoy!

soundandvision
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
XCalibur, I feel I should say thanks for putting this update on here. I do believe you have it. UM even mentioned he went by Stargazer. 8 victims in Ohio. Timelines all add up.

Good work. Surprised UM never updated this given the obvious connection.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-10-2012, 09:17 AM
XCalibur, I feel I should say thanks for putting this update on here. I do believe you have it. UM even mentioned he went by Stargazer. 8 victims in Ohio. Timelines all add up.

Good work. Surprised UM never updated this given the obvious connection.
I drive a lot in Ohio. When I drive down 75 71 and 70 I always think about this segment. I wonder if it makes truck drivers mad because there are so many of them that are good people. There is another segment with a prison escape by a Robert Watson who was a rapist where bob stack mentions that he is wanted for questioning in Ohio interstate killings over the last decade. I do believe that Robert Watson was a truck driver. But no where else do I see info on it. I think he was arrested later on viewer tips but there was never any direct reference or link made. I don't even know which segment was first.

A lot of the interstate segments creep me out because I drive so much around the usa. It is crazy to think how much crime happens so I'm always alert.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-05-1Ahighwaykiller05_CV_N.htm

This is a good read. Makes it tough to tell who the suspects might be.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Double post sorry

MegtheEgg86
11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-05-1Ahighwaykiller05_CV_N.htm

This is a good read. Makes it tough to tell who the suspects might be.

Interesting article not only for the information itself, but for the couple of coincidental UM connections in it:

"It used to be the place to go. It used to be the safe haven," says Sgt. Pat Postiglione, a detective with the Metro Nashville (Tenn.) Police Department. "But now, I think the opposite is occurring."

Pat Postiglione was interviewed in the second season segment about the 1989 murder of Kevin Hughes.

An autopsy showed no signs of trauma, and a coroner's report completed last month indicated that Vaughn likely wasn't a murder victim. "Cocaine intoxication is what killed her," says Pickaway County Sheriff Dwight Radcliff. Derenberger is "not the smartest guy in the world," Radcliff says, "but I don't think he's a serial killer."

In the seventh season "Circleville Writer" segment, Dwight Radcliff figured in greatly, as he was mentioned in the Circleville letter actually sent to UM.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Interesting article not only for the information itself, but for the couple of coincidental UM connections in it:

"It used to be the place to go. It used to be the safe haven," says Sgt. Pat Postiglione, a detective with the Metro Nashville (Tenn.) Police Department. "But now, I think the opposite is occurring."

Pat Postiglione was interviewed in the second season segment about the 1989 murder of Kevin Hughes.

An autopsy showed no signs of trauma, and a coroner's report completed last month indicated that Vaughn likely wasn't a murder victim. "Cocaine intoxication is what killed her," says Pickaway County Sheriff Dwight Radcliff. Derenberger is "not the smartest guy in the world," Radcliff says, "but I don't think he's a serial killer."

In the seventh season "Circleville Writer" segment, Dwight Radcliff figured in greatly, as he was mentioned in the Circleville letter actually sent to UM.
Yes there was a lot of um in that article. I also agree that there are so many different crimes like this not just in Ohio which makes it likely that there are multiple criminals. I found it interesting in another segment to hear bob stack reference someone to interstate killings in Ohio.

MegtheEgg86
11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I found it interesting in another segment to hear bob stack reference someone to interstate killings in Ohio.

Yes! I just saw this recently but for the life of me cannot remember the name of the man in the segment.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes! I just saw this recently but for the life of me cannot remember the name of the man in the segment.
It was Robert Watson who was a wanted fugitive for rape and assault. He was a truck driver as well.

MegtheEgg86
11-17-2012, 02:21 AM
It was Robert Watson who was a wanted fugitive for rape and assault. He was a truck driver as well.

Thanks!

1990 UM fan
11-20-2012, 06:54 AM
It bothered me when one of the investigators said that Anna Marie Patterson was raped after her death and had been kept in refrigeration for a month before her body was dumped alongside the highway. Gives me the willies.

I recently watched a 48 Hours documentary about the "Highway of Tears" murders that started in 1969 and involved young girls, most of them hitchhikers. Would have been interesting to see those cases on Unsolved Mysteries. Would've fit in with the Ohio, New Orleans and New Hampshire murder cases.

DALLASTEXAN!!
11-21-2012, 07:26 PM
It bothered me when one of the investigators said that Anna Marie Patterson was raped after her death and had been kept in refrigeration for a month before her body was dumped alongside the highway. Gives me the willies.

I recently watched a 48 Hours documentary about the "Highway of Tears" murders that started in 1969 and involved young girls, most of them hitchhikers. Would have been interesting to see those cases on Unsolved Mysteries. Would've fit in with the Ohio, New Orleans and New Hampshire murder cases.
Yeah that's what makes the ohio truck segment creepy...the way she was kept after the initial assault.

Francium
06-16-2014, 07:28 PM
I may have something of an update on this case, as I haven't seen this discussed in this thread I am assuming no one on the board knows it. I know it because it happened not far from where I live and it was on the local news here.

There was a man arrested near Bristol, Tennessee in 1995 named Sean Patrick Goble, and it was in connection with several murders which occured in North Carolina and Tennessee of truck stop prostitutes. The MO was very similar to the Ohio slayings, and he did go by the CB handle Stargazer, same as the Ohio killer.

To the best of my knowledge, Goble's trucking routes did take him across Ohio. But the public defender in the area has not allowed him to be interviewed, so there is some doubt about exactly how many truck driving slayings he has been involved in. I have understood that these slaying stopped around the mid 90's, around the time of his arrest. So if thats the case it definitely makes him a person of interest and may well have solved the case at least to some degree.

Unsolved Mysteries mentioned that there were well over 100 unsolved murders similar to this, so I doubt if Goble was responsible for all of them. But I still felt it was well worth mentioning in this thread, as it certainly seems possible he was involved in at least some of the Ohio slayings, though nothing is certain. And its noteworthy that the man responsible for at least some of these slayings could already be in jail.

If anyone has followed this case it would be interesting to compare notes. Goble was 29 years old when he was arrested in 1995, but I'm not sure when the murders started. If anyone who lives in Ohio is on the board and can elaborate on some details feel free to post and tell me what you think about the possibility of this guy being involved in some of the Ohio slayings.

This is the best article I could find on Goble:
http://everything2.com/title/The+Stargazer+killer

Enjoy!

And that would make sense. Unless a serial killer is going to use a firearm (which still doesn't address the means of escape), people who get close to 40 start to have serious mobility issues, as well as a confidence crisis, on average. There's a reason why "psychopaths" (with the Columbine post above) mellow out around that time; it's because they can't do it anymore. Serial killing is a young man's game.

I think back to the East Area Rapist where people ask why he stopped. He was probably around 35, and his means of escape (by foot) were such that he lost a bit of an edge and sharpness in pulling strategically-demanding moves. Further, it can't be easy to kill someone, especially by hand. By hand, it must be physically exhausting. With firearms, far less exhausting but you can still get trauma for doing it. (A number of SS soldiers who shot thousands of Jews were known to vomit despite the severe brainwashing they underwent in training, which is no different but possibly more severe than the brainwashing that the USMC goes through.)

88keys
06-16-2014, 10:07 PM

That guy is from my hometown. I sometimes wonder how many of those unsolved murders he is responsible for. He was a driver for many years; I think there has to be more victims than the ones he was charged with.