PDA

View Full Version : Joey is being pulled until March!

Lurker
12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I am sorry to say that according to a post on CNN.com, NBC is pulling Joey and moving Earl and Office to Thusday.

CNN Story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/01/tv.nbcoverhaul.ap/index.html)

This is sad, but they do say joey will be coming back.

TVFactFan
12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I am sorry to say that according to a post on CNN.com, NBC is pulling Joey and moving Earl and Office to Thusday.

CNN Story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/01/tv.nbcoverhaul.ap/index.html)

This is sad, but they do say joey will be coming back.

Well that Sounds like its not coming back. Pulling a show until March means it's OVER. By March People will no longer be interested in watching Joey.

Johnny S
12-01-2005, 10:18 PM
This is bad news... I seriously doubt Joey will be able to weather the storm.

DukeDevils9192
12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Ouch, that sucks.

I'm actually really upset about this.

Oh well.

It's amazing how the fans were able to pick up on the show's problems and the writers weren't. We called out pretty much every mistake last year, they fixed them for the premiere, and then, well, that's that. They went right back to the same ones: ill-fated Alex/Joey story, Joey in EVERY storyline.

I enjoy the show and think that, at times, it hits HUGE home runs. But it also fails often too because the writers just seem to have no idea what they're doing. It's pathetic.

If NBC thinks that this comedy block will save their Thursday, they're crazy, though, I have to say. It just won't. But whatever.

staypuftman2004
12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
I still like the show nothing going to save thurdays night for NBC

slackermonkey
12-04-2005, 02:20 AM
On one hand I'm disappointed, but since this will more than likely lead to cancellation at the end of the season (I believe MLB's contract requires that NBC air all episodes), I'm also somewhat relieved.

The show had so much potential, and still does, but if none of it has been realized at this point, it never will be. It's still suffering from many of the same problems that plagued it from day one - no balance among its supporting cast, nothing for viewers to be invested in (the rushed Joey/Alex romance doesn't count since there's been no progress made on that in the past ten episodes) and no creativity or depth in its storytelling or characters. The last few episodes of season one were a step in the right direction, but season two hasn't built on that in any way except maybe comedically.

Everything we've been promised in season two has fallen short. A focus on Joey's professional life and how his newfound star status affects his friends and family? We haven't even seen his movie set in about the past five episodes. A stronger emphasis on Michael and his relationship with Joey, including stories about him losing his virginity and meeting his father? Michael's presence this season has been almost nonexistant, with the virginity plot point almost an afterthought (though what we know about the "meeting his dad" episode sounds great). A storyline for Gina? Since she's joined Bobbie's office, nothing's happened with her except her new role as someone for Alex to talk to about her crush on Joey. The addition of Zach, so Joey has a buddy to hatch schemes and get in trouble with? Zach just kind of faded into the background after the season premiere, and only for the past two weeks has he actually had a storyline (directing the senior citizens' musical with Joey, and helping Joey with the Indian pottery). The only thing they've delivered on is a larger role for Bobbie, and she was mysteriously absent last episode.

I would love to see the show finish out, but I'm no longer invested in its future, because I fail to see how it will get significantly better. In this case, it'd be better off cancelled.

Brian Damage
12-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I am a little disappointed with the decision, but it wasn't something that completely shocked me. Joey never recovered from its season 1 mistakes.

DukeDevils9192
12-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I've been thinking about the writing because well, I'm a writer and that's why I do, and go watch an episode of Friends and then watch an episode of Joey and you immediately see the biggest difference in comedy. Friends' jokes generally, for its best seasons (because the show, in later years, did fall into the trap I'm about to say), came naturally, playing off the situations that came before. You accepted them or you didn't.

With Joey, so many jokes are set-up for no reason and so many are extremely forced. They're written in a way that they tell a joke, but they take a minute to get there. Horribly wordy and there's an incredible amount of exposition. It's terrible.

blade1
12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
well even if NBC moves joey and puts "My Name is Earl", its nt really going to make a difference. NBC still won't be able to lead thursday nights

tvreviewer
12-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I think Joey is a pretty good show and I really hope it does good on another day.

I think this will be NBC's LineUp

Tuesdays

8:00- Biggest Loser: Special Editions/Season 3 (it may be against American Idol but look at how Fear Factor is doing with out the competion of AI last week it got a (5.0/11 households; 2.2 18-49) the ratings would be half of that with AI on)
9:00- Joey (New day and time)
9:30- Scrubs
10:00- Law and Order

Wednesdays

8:00- E-Ring
9:00- Apprentice (New Day)
10:00- Law and Order

Thursdays

8:00- Will and Grace
8:30- Four Kings
9:00- My Name is Earl
9:30- The Office
10:00- ER

Fridays

8:00- Dateline
9:00- Fear Factor (just to burn off remaining episodes)//// Windfall
10:00- Conviction

comedy_kid
12-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I think this is the first time NBC hasn't had a 'legendary' show that attracts viewers to the new shows. Just think, back in 1998, NBC had the best selection of comedies than any other netowork (Friends, Frasier, Veronica's Closet, Jesse, Just Shoot Me and Will & Grace.) Now they only have have a fading 'Will & Grace' and a struggling 'Joey' that will never resort to anything that was 'Friends'. Hopefully 'Four Kings' will brighten up Thursday nights and 'Earl'. By the way I'm from the U.K so I haven't seen Earl yet, I hear it's good though, it's coming to channel 4 in the next few weeks I think.