View Full Version : Grandpa's Last Name?

tv star collector
11-27-2005, 01:28 PM
This might be a moot point, but I have a question. If Grandpa was Lily's father
and Herman's father-in-law, why was his last name "Munster"?? I noticed that,
in the 1988 series THE MUNSTERS TODAY he was called "Vladimir Dracula,"
which, to me, makes more sense.

For that matter, if he was Eddie's grandpa, why did everyone (even his daughter
Lily) call him "Grandpa"? (I guess for the same reason everyone called Daisy Moses
"Granny" on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and Amos McCoy "Grandpa" on THE REAL
McCOYS!)

Munsters#1
11-27-2005, 02:27 PM
They all called him "Grandpa", because it is just a cute nickname.

But if you look closely at all the episodes, he is not once ever referred to as "Grandpa Munster", only "Grandpa".

The only time he is ever referred to as "Grandpa Munster", is in the 1965 "At home with the Munsters" LP. (Sound clip below)

On different occasions, he is refferred to as "The Count" (in Pike's Pique), "Count Dracula" (in The Musician), and "Sam Dracula" (in Grandpa's Lost Wife).

tv star collector
11-27-2005, 06:55 PM
They all called him "Grandpa", because it is just a cute nickname.

But if you look closely at all the episodes, he is not once ever referred to as "Grandpa Munster", only "Grandpa".

The only time he is ever referred to as "Grandpa Munster", is in the 1965 "At home with the Munsters" LP. (Sound clip below)

On different occasions, he is refferred to as "The Count" (in Pike's Pique), "Count Dracula" (in The Musician), and "Sam Dracula" (in Grandpa's Lost Wife).
I have that record album, but I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the info.

Prince Michael
08-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Grandpa's name was "Sam Dracula" . In a family situation, the kids call their grandparents "Grandma" and "Grandpa" . Their parents get into the habit of referring to them as "Grandma" and "Grandpa", and finally everybody, no matter what their relationship to Grandma and Grandpa, gets used to calling them "Grandma" and "Grandpa" . It happens more often than you realize .

tcr1701
10-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I always wondered in Sam Dracula was his name or an alias he used. They made it a joke that his name was "Sam Dracula."