PDA

View Full Version : Joey is nt getting the respect it deserves

blade1
10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
i have to say tht joey is just nt getting the respect it deserves, obviousally u cannot compare joey with friends but i think matt leblanc has done a good job. i really like the show, its nt as good as friends but it is certinely better then many other comedy shows, i really dnt know why joey is getting such low ratings.

Lurker
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I think the reason it isnt living up to its potential (viewer numbers) is because the NBC suits put it up against Survivor.

NBC should tweak when it comes on. I think that they should pair it up with Earl. The problem is there is a lot of Drama competition now so I don't know what would be a better day/time.

Maybe when Martha gets dumped, they could move it to that time slot?

Brian Damage
10-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree, Joey doesn't have a fair shot of building up an audience when it has to go against a juggernaught like Survivor.

TVFactFan
10-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Well when is NBC going to try and move it to another timeslot because time is running out

blade1
10-04-2005, 04:22 PM
well joey's ranking is definitely improving and it has done quite well as compared to the first season. the second season has been quite good and especially now John Larroquette will make a guest appearance hopefully this could improve the ratings. i really dnt want joey to end after season 2.

TVFactFan
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
well joey's ranking is definitely improving and it has done quite well as compared to the first season. the second season has been quite good and especially now John Larroquette will make a guest appearance hopefully this could improve the ratings. i really dnt want joey to end after season 2.

IMPROVING???? Joey is not even in the Top 30-LOL They are doing worst than last season. Remember, Joey is averaging less viewers than a UPN Show. And that is not good at all.

Dr. Thong
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
This is just a merely average show. Joey is still Joey, but he's surrounded by a slutty, vulgar sister stereotype, a brainy, geeky nerd stereotype and the ditsy girl-next-door/almost like a sister stereotype.

If it's still around in the spring, I'll catch up via reruns. Smallville is on against Joey now and that's an exciting, dynamic show. I don't think Joey is even worth taping for later viewing.

DukeDevils9192
10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Joey's not getting less viewers than a UPN show.

Joey's 5.2 was better than EHC's 3.5. It didn't lose out. I have a feeling people will continue to say that it did, though, just to make Joey sound like a real screw up.

TVFactFan
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Joey's not getting less viewers than a UPN show.

Joey's 5.2 was better than EHC's 3.5. It didn't lose out. I have a feeling people will continue to say that it did, though, just to make Joey sound like a real screw up.

Those are the numbers for last week right?

Brian Damage
10-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes, those are the numbers.

spunkygirl
10-04-2005, 10:46 PM
I like Smallville but IMO it's not a better show than Joey, the writing on Joey is much better than on SV and on most shows that are on the air right now. It's a truly funny show IMO, and I think it has potential if NBC gives it a chance

blade1
10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
i agree, joey has a lot of potential. all it needs is some time, i mean i remember friends wen it was aired first time hardly anybody saw it but slowly it picked up its pace. give some time to joey, matt leblanc in my opinion should start a career in movies. i think he can make it to a great actor. look at jennifer aniston, she has made it to a really good actress. in my opinion matt has the potential to make it to a great movie actor.

spunkygirl
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Something that irritates me is people who think "Joey" should be a Friends clone :rolleyes:

Dr. Thong
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I like Smallville but IMO it's not a better show than Joey, the writing on Joey is much better than on SV and on most shows that are on the air right now. It's a truly funny show IMO, and I think it has potential if NBC gives it a chance

In one respect, it's unfair to compare the two, as they're two different types of shows. However, for pure entertainment value, Smallville hits all the right notes. Five seasons in and its still engaging and fresh. The season premiere helped further cement its place in the Superman canon.

I think Joey worked on Friends because he was part of a larger ensemble. But as the anchor and lead character of his own show, Joey doesn't work as well.

And Friends was most definitely a hit from the start - it was the new show in 1994 that everyone was talking about. I didn't start watching myself until season 2, but I felt I should give it a watch as it had garnered so much press and momentum from the get-go.

savy333
10-08-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm sick of Joey being the butt of jokes because it really is an entertaining show. The problem is that NBC is pretty much in the toilet as far as ratings go. Even a respected, Emmy Winning show like Will and Grace is not doing much better in the ratings I beleive. NBC pretty much sucks right now, even though I like a lot of their shows. They just have somehow let themselves become this loser network that can't get anyone to watch their shows. They just relied too much on the success of Friends that they didn't bother starting any other quality programs. So, everyone ditched NBC once Friends went off the air. Sad but true...

slackermonkey
10-09-2005, 01:36 AM
The first season was, on a whole, not very good and the far superior second season has only gotten four episodes in (three if you count the season premiere as one episode). It'll take time for the show to build respect. Patience.

Brian Damage
10-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Do you have that much confidence that Joey will rebound?

slackermonkey
10-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Creatively? Sort of. Critically/commercially? No.

We've only seen a handful of the changes the writers have in store for "Joey" this season. If they keep things fresh and interesting and utilize the supporting cast more, it'll be much more enjoyable to watch. It'd be nice to see the writing continue to get stronger, but that's not as urgent a matter right now.

However, after pretty much lauding the pilot, critics have decided to trash the series every chance they get, and even with the slow but steady retooling, they've completely given up on the show. Between how mediocre the first season was and the poor reviews it got, audiences haven't had much faith in bothering to see season two, and with how few people are still watching, it'd take A LOT more than good word of mouth for the ratings to rebound.

Brian Damage
10-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Well, I see the next step is to change the settings. A change of settings usually doesn't work in a sitcom. It usually is a sign of desperation, but considering it is still early for this show, I think it might work.

slackermonkey
10-09-2005, 02:01 AM
By setting, do you mean something like Joey's apartment, or LA altogether? If you mean the former, we already know Joey will be getting a house next week, so hopefully that'll be something, and it'd be nice to see that bar in the season premiere be more of a regular hangout.

If you mean LA, I'd have to disagree. There's a lot of potential you could do with that location, but we've seen NONE of it utilized. Remember those promos when the show first premiered of Joey sightseeing in Hollywood, visiting the Walk of Fame, touring celebrity houses and going to beaches? That's how the show should take advantage of its setting. I understand it'd be costly and require on-location shooting in some cases, but it could be replicated on set. Hopefully, MLB's talk of LA being more of a character this season won't just be hot air.

Brian Damage
10-09-2005, 02:05 AM
I meant the house. When sitcoms change their locales, places of work or homes etc, That usually is a sign of viewers crying, "Jump the Shark."

DukeDevils9192
10-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it's going to take a lot for the show to suddenly become a critical darling. A lot of people, critics and watchers, are just convinced the show sucks and that's not going to change no matter how good the show gets.

I think the most important thing is that the writers listened to the fans and weren't too proud to admit that they messed up. As long as they stay humble enough to admit they're still experimenting, then the show will continuously get better.