PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Murders of Rachel Raver, Warren Fulton, and Veronica Jefferson

Kane
09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
http://www.nbc4.com/news/4985172/detail.html

I learned that there is a potential suspect in the 1988 murders of Rachel Raver, Warren Fulton, and Veronica Jefferson. (See the short article at the link above.) A man named Alfredo Prieto has been linked to all three murders through DNA. He is currently on death row in California for an unrelated murder.

As you might recall, Veronica "Tina" Jefferson was a CIA employee who was raped and murdered in May of 1988. The case was profiled on UM in November of 1989. Veronica's murder was mentioned again in a 2001 episode of UM since it came to light that DNA testing confirmed that her killer also murdered Rachel Raver and her boyfriend Warren Fulton in December 1988.

nohwheregirl
09-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, Kane. This case (or cases, really) has always bothered me, and even more so since you posted your last update. I'll try to do a Lexis-Nexis search on Prieto when I get a chance. Please keep us up to date!

It looks like the victims' families might get a taste of justice, finally.

Awsi Dooger
09-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Once again Kane does an amazing job on the updates. That link is only a few days old.

This really deserves big play around here. It was startling to begin with that the two murder cases were linked to the same killer, and now to apparently find the murderer, wow!

Usually I support the ACLU and organizations like that, and they would howl at this suggestion, but the more DNA is utilized to solve cases like this the more I'm convinced EVERYONE should be sampled. I mean, that East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker committed 50+ attacks. His victims face a lifetime coping with the single night of evil terror he implanted, if they survivved at all. At the end he comitted many murders in Southern California. His DNA is on file, but no threat of a match so far. I think it's an ignorant copout to assume a guy like that is in jail or dead. He would be maybe 50. I'd love to wager he's alive and out there. Take a broadband DNA collection and it opens up literally thousands of cases to be solved. Of course, there would have to be extraordinary precaution and double/triple checking to make sure the samples and results were accurate. Given the current state of our top governmental organizations, probably not feasible.

BTW, I know it's irrelevant but I still think Veronica Jefferson was the most attractive female ever shown on any UM segment, victim or actress or anyone.

Composite Sketch
09-20-2005, 05:42 PM
This is SUCH terrific news. This was one of those cases I couldn't help thinking about and wanted to get solved. Several months ago I said that I had a good feeling that it would be solved eventually. I am hoping it will come to pass.

Now I'm curious if the suspect really ressembles the sketch of the man seen with Veronica in the supermarket.

Awsi Dooger
09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
This is SUCH terrific news. This was one of those cases I couldn't help thinking about and wanted to get solved. Several months ago I said that I had a good feeling that it would be solved eventually. I am hoping it will come to pass.

Now I'm curious if the suspect really ressembles the sketch of the man seen with Veronica in the supermarket.

Excellent question! I hadn't thought about that. The thin black guy with the sweater who was supposedly flirting with her. I wonder if the couple who witnessed the conversation in the grocery store are still alive? They could probably be used to verify if it's the same person. Frankly, I've always tended to doubt it.

cuba_libre
09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks Kane for the great update! We can always count on you to bring us the fresh and new!!

Kane
09-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, Kane. This case (or cases, really) has always bothered me, and even more so since you posted your last update. I'll try to do a Lexis-Nexis search on Prieto when I get a chance. Please keep us up to date!

It looks like the victims' families might get a taste of justice, finally.

You are welcome, nowheregirl. And I thank those who have complimented me (such as you, Awsi Dooger).

Let us hope that the victims' families finally receive justice. With that in mind, I think of what one of the cops investigating Veronica's murder said in the 1989 segment about homicides in general. Although I don't remember the cop's name, I recall him saying that homicides are investigated "until the end. They may not be solved, but they're never forgotten." He was clearly optimistic that Veronica's murder would eventually be solved, noting that he wanted the killer to know that, they would never stop looking for him until he was found.

Personally, I too was optimistic that Veronica's murder would be solved. This is due to the fact that there was DNA evidence at the crime scene (although DNA testing was in its infancy when Veronica was murdered in 1988). Nevertheless, when a development was made in the case, I was kind of in a state of disbelief. But it's only that reality of a possible resolution hadn't sunk in yet.

U.M. Fanatic
09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
This is great news!; thanks for the update Kane.

Among the many cases that have been profiled on UM, this one of my top cases I've always wanted to see solved.

Kane
09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050923/NEWS02/509230363/1023/NEWS07

I found another recent article on the case (dated September 23, 2005). This one is longer, so there's more info. Plus, it has additional details about the suspect, Alfredo Rolando Prieto.

As mentioned in the article, he has been on California's death row since 1992, for the 1990 murder of a teenage girl. This discovery has brought some comfort in knowing that he had been off the streets for the majority of the 17 years in which the murders of Veronica Jefferson, Rachael Raver, and Warren Fulton were unsolved.

Awsi Dooger
09-29-2005, 05:50 PM
I doubt that's the same guy the elderly couple saw in the grocery store. Based on the name, he's Hispanic, not black. A gang member from El Salvador. That doesn't SOUND like the type a classy woman like Veronica Jefferson would allow to flirt with her for an extended period of time in the grocery store and leading out to her car. The wife did say Veronica seemed uncomfortable with the guy when he was near her car. Of course, without a picture of this convict or a video of the grocery store incident itself, pure guesswork on my part.

An 80s Guy
10-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Does Americas most wanted have a message board

Kane
10-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Does Americas most wanted have a message board

Pardon me for asking, but how is that related to the thread? :confused:

Anyway, go to amw.com, and click on AMW forums.

Deeds
10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Kane and everyone else:
Thank you very much for all your support for a resolution in my sister Rachael's "unsolved" case. I spent a lot of my free time persistently calling the media to publicize the case. Unsolved Mysteries really did an outstanding job. Our family has chosen to limit speaking to the media because we do not want to jeopardize the investigation. It was hard to get used to that because a few reporters were extremely loyal to us when everyone else forgot us.
Our system requires that everyone is treated innocent until proven guilty, we support that and refer media calls to the police for that reason.
The comments on this board are pretty coy- you guys never miss a beat. :))
However, there has been a positive DNA hit and we were extremely happy and I did have some champagne when I found out. A day does not go by without me thinking of Rachael. Life has gone on for me but I will always miss her. Rachael would brighten up an entire room and get you to laugh at anything, she loved and enjoyed everyone she came across.
The Jeffersons have been privately celebrating as well. Many friends of both Rachael and Warren have been calling the University to find out what happened. I am just happy that no one forgot us or forgot about them.
I pray for the family of the 15-year old senselessly killed by the "person of interest."
DNA works, I urge you to please call your elected officials and tell them we need to clean up these DNA backlogs with proper legislation and funding.
We must also never forget those wrongly accused of crimes. They deserve a DNA test to prove their innocence.
I love all of you for your compassion and support, it's reassuring to know good people watched my sister's story.
One of Veronica's friends told me we need to be victorious, not victims so we all will drive on.
Sincerely,
Dede Raver

An 80s Guy
10-08-2005, 10:19 AM
thats good that there is suspects maybe they will find the killer

nohwheregirl
10-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Kane and everyone else:
Thank you very much for all your support for a resolution in my sister Rachael's "unsolved" case. I spent a lot of my free time persistently calling the media to publicize the case. Unsolved Mysteries really did an outstanding job. Our family has chosen to limit speaking to the media because we do not want to jeopardize the investigation. It was hard to get used to that because a few reporters were extremely loyal to us when everyone else forgot us.
Our system requires that everyone is treated innocent until proven guilty, we support that and refer media calls to the police for that reason.
The comments on this board are pretty coy- you guys never miss a beat. :))
However, there has been a positive DNA hit and we were extremely happy and I did have some champagne when I found out. A day does not go by without me thinking of Rachael. Life has gone on for me but I will always miss her. Rachael would brighten up an entire room and get you to laugh at anything, she loved and enjoyed everyone she came across.
The Jeffersons have been privately celebrating as well. Many friends of both Rachael and Warren have been calling the University to find out what happened. I am just happy that no one forgot us or forgot about them.
I pray for the family of the 15-year old senselessly killed by the "person of interest."
DNA works, I urge you to please call your elected officials and tell them we need to clean up these DNA backlogs with proper legislation and funding.
We must also never forget those wrongly accused of crimes. They deserve a DNA test to prove their innocence.
I love all of you for your compassion and support, it's reassuring to know good people watched my sister's story.
One of Veronica's friends told me we need to be victorious, not victims so we all will drive on.
Sincerely,
Dede Raver

Dear Dede,
Thanks so much for stopping by. We're all ecstatic for you and the families of all the victims (or in this case, victors!). Please keep us updated on any developments if you can.
God bless

Wamisto
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I doubt that's the same guy the elderly couple saw in the grocery store. Based on the name, he's Hispanic, not black. A gang member from El Salvador. That doesn't SOUND like the type a classy woman like Veronica Jefferson would allow to flirt with her for an extended period of time in the grocery store and leading out to her car.

Actually, to me the resemblance is quite striking.

Prieto looks black - I would say he probably has one black parent.

kadrmas15
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Personally, I do think that the man the elderly couple saw and Prieto were one in the same. The sketch, the guy's face looks remarkably similar to Prieto's. I would have to see pictures of how Prieto looked in the late 80's to know for sure whether or not it was the same man.

biscuitgirl
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Looks like he was convicted of two additional death sentences: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/05/23/ST2008052301661.html

kadrmas15
04-01-2010, 02:40 AM
No, he was never at least as far as I know convicted in Veronica Jefferson's case. He was convicted of killing Rachel Raver and Warren Fulton although his first trial resulted in a mistrial. Second trial he was convicted and was sentenced to death. However last year his death sentence was thrown out and he is awaiting a new penalty phase. After he was sentenced to death, because he was already on death row, the charges in Veronica Jefferson's case were dropped against him.

dks64
11-17-2010, 06:06 PM
In my local newspaper, I came across the name Alfredo Rolando Prieto and immediately knew I had read the name before on an Unsolved Mysteries case.

He was recently tied to another case in Rubidoux, California.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_wcoldcase17.2384831e3.html

"In all, Prieto has been linked as a suspect in nine killings and convicted in three murders. He faces three death sentences in California and Virginia.

Central Homicide Sgt. Scott Brown said a DNA match in October led Riverside County detectives to Prieto as the suspect in the May 1990 killing of Stacey Siegrist, 19, and Tony Gianuzzi, 21, whose bodies were discovered shot and dumped along a dirt power-line road off Canal and Alta streets in Rubidoux. "

I feel terrible for his victims :(

Stackisthebest
11-20-2010, 12:30 AM
I can't wait for this scum to be put to death. I only wish it wasn't the panzy needle, but put him to death the way he killed his victims.

Stackisthebest
11-20-2010, 12:38 AM
According to the article I found below, this animal was arrested at 24, so he was doing his murders before the age of 24+. He is seriously sick. He must have had family in DC and CA. to kill coast to coast the piece of crap.

Ontario Police Arrest 2 Parolees in Murder, Kidnapings, Rapes
September 07, 1990

Police arrested two parolees Thursday in connection with the rape and murder last weekend of a 15-year-old girl and the abduction, rapes and stabbings of two other women.

Alfredo Rolando Prieto, 24, was arrested about 7 p.m. in an apartment building on the 1300 block of West "E" Street in Ontario, said Ontario Police Detective Mike Cormican.