PDA

View Full Version : Joey and the Big Break part 1 & 2 9/22/05

Brian Damage
08-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Joey is on the set of "Deep Powder" but the fate of his character is still unknown (remember in the Season 1 finale, they mentioned that one character on "Deep Powder" would die). He is shooting an important scene that involve a death... will it be Joey's character? One extra, named Zach, tries to cheer him up in the hope Joey will help him (Zach) get a line to say. Zach will give Joey some tips about how to live as an actor in Hollywood. Jenna, a young actress-wannabe, moves in the building. She wants to meet Joey, the big star, but she first meets Michael who pretends to be Joey in order to land a date with her. Joey has to pretend he's studying at CalTech in order to help out his nephew. Joey has an audition. Gina and Alex also appear.

L&OFan4Eva
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Sounds great! Seems like the cast's in tact, so far at least.

slackermonkey
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Yay, Alex is confirmed to be back! For the first two episodes, at least.

But I'd imagine if they bothered bringing her back at all, they definitely don't plan to dump her.

Rachel3118
08-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Do we really know if Alex is going to stay in it. She would have to be back in the first few episodes to end what was going on before.

The plot looks good for the first episode.

Brian Damage
08-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't think they are going to be dumping Alex. I'm sure we would've heard rumblings of that by now.

Rachel3118
08-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I know, I doubt they would dump her. I was just saying just because she's in the first few episodes doesn't mean she's going to stay. From this I assumed there was talk of her keaving just I hadn't heard about it.

slackermonkey
08-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Well, normally, when a cast member is going to be dumped but they need to resolve a cliffhanger, the other characters make mention of what happened to that character instead of actually showing the audience the character. Also, why bother spending money to keep Alex around for the first few episodes if she'd be getting dumped soon anyway?

Like I said before, we haven't heard any announcement of her leaving the show, so I'm certain she won't be gone next season.

adisodes106
08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Hello everybody. I was the taping of Joey and the Big Break Part 2. And i have to say that the cast is so much better now. The writing is hilarious, I loved so hard at some points. Alot better than the first season, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the first season. I'm glad they added the character of Zach, it adds another dimension to the show. I'm really glad to see the show going in this direction. I think it will be number one rated sitcom next year. Anyway....these are my spoilers... I also posted it on imdb.com

Joey wakes up and stretches and finds a bra on his arm. He reads a note left by Alex and reads it out loud and realizes what he's done and then realizes that Alex is still there.

Bobbie lets Joey know that he wasn't voted off the show because he was the most popular character. So they get cocky and ask for a raise, a car and everything else. Joey gets fired. Bobbie asked for a raise, a car, and an on-set Scientology tent.

We see Joey with a hammer in his head, all bloody...ice everywhere and heads everywhere before they film his last scene on Deep Powder. Right next to him is a head of a guy named Zach. Zach asks Joey if he can have a line in the show. Joey asks how is that possible you don't even have a body. What does Zach say? "Something like I can't feel my legs!!!"

They film the final scene and Zach blurts out I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!!!

Gina starts working for Bobbie and finds that Bobbie has another secretary...his name is Jason. Jason is gay and refuses to help Gina with anything because nobody helped him when he started out. Bobbie laughs and says "Between the two of you, you only make 700 dollars a week!"

Michael meets a girl who thinks that he is Joey. The girl is an aspiring actress and Michael pretends he is Joey. Meanwhile, Joey has to pretend he's Michael.

Joey gets an audition for a Kevin Smith film and Zach tells him that he knows Kevin Smith and can set up a meeting. Joey says no he would rather do it himself. Zach gives him his card, which reads "Zach"...Zach says "I'm in between last names. It used to be Miller but I'm trying to seperate myself from an actor who's been in some bad movies. It's hard 'cause that was me."

Joey talks to Michael about how he's nervous about the audition and how he doesn't know how to audition for it. Whether to sit or stand. If he sits, he has to act with his face. If he stands, he can use his entire body to describe the room. He starts some weird ballerina thing that had everybody laughing their asses off.

Michael tells Joey about a voice in your head who doubts you, Joey says he's never had it. At the audition, Joey hears the voice and bombs it. Michael tells Joey about the girl who thinks he is Joey and says that she has a cousin. Joey refuses a double date. And this happened....

MICHAEL: Come on! I need you to be my sex partner!
JOEY: (STOPS EVERYTHING) What?
MICHAEL: You know, the guy who goes to the bar with you to get sex.
JOEY: YOU MEAN A WINGMAN?!?!?
MICHAEL: Wingman? That sounds gay. (EXITS)

Alex confronts Joey about their night together and says that she never does that and wants romancing. So her and Joey agree to a date. They go up to Joey's room and Joey gives her a champagne glass filled with beer and says "Let's have sex." Alex is mad and Joey explains that that's what it takes to get a girl into bed. They agree to another date.

Joey shows up in a tuxedo and shiny shoes. He has a bag with flowers, chocolates and an orange. (originally a teddy bear, the orange is LeBlanc's idea "Scurvy sucks.") Alex gets mad because that is all generic. Alex slams the door in his face. Joey walks back into the apartment and see Michael with 2 women. One of which the cousin. The cousin is crazy. She flips out that Joey got her flowers, she accepted them and kissed him. Joey stood there, hair all messed up, starting at Michael for about 5 seconds. So *beep* funny. They stand there for a little bit and we find that the cousin was in the Air Force. ("Hoo HA!!!") Michael and the other girl go to their room. The cousin stays with Joey.

JOEY: So you were in the air force. Ever kill anybody?
The cousin smiles and nods, scaring Joey.

The cousin eats the chocolates and then says there were peanuts in it so they have to make out really quick...she walks slowly towards Joey while Joey is backing away and she backs him into the wall.

Gina enters Joey's apartment and asks how he likes to recieve bad news. Joey tells her "They loved me. They thought I was fantastic. They were a big fan of my work but decided to go with someone else." Gina says she'll give it a try and tells Joey what he just told her. Joey says what do you think I'm stupid I'm in a crisis my career is going down the drain can't you help me. Gina says that there's nothing she or Bobbie can do and that he'll have to do something for himself. Gina exits and Joey thinks about things. He takes out a card and calls Zach asking for a meeting with Kevin Smith. We cut to Zach who is working on "House", the doctors are operating on him. They stare at him. "What?! House gets a call and it's okay, but a brother does the same thing and he gets a stink eye?!"

GINA: I'm Bobbie's hatchet man. I give you out bad news. And you know how I love to do that. Remember when grandpa died and I got to tell grandma?
JOEY: Yeah. Good times.

We see Joey and Zach in a car with a dog. Zach reveals he stole Kevin Smith's dog and they are going to return it. Joey thinks he's crazy. They are in front of Kevin Smith's house and the dog jumps out of Joey's arm and runs into the doggy door. Joey puts his arm in there to get the dog back and gets a foot. The door opens and it is Kevin Smith. Kevin Smith says he knows what they are doing and that they want an audition. Kevin Smith remembers Joey and says "That is the worst acting job I've ever seen and I've had to work with Ben Affleck." Joey gets another shot but the voice comes back again and he just runs out the door.

Joey and Zach go into Joey's apartment and Joey is mad that Zach said he knew Kevin Smith when he didn't. Zach said that this town is all about making connections. Gina enters and asks what the hell was he thinking with Kevin Smith. Michael enters and talks about the double date. Alex enters and talks about her and Joey's date. Zach is looking through fridge and talks snowpeas. "I love snowpeas! Y'all got a wok?!" Joey starts screaming at everything. "Alex, we had sex. I'm sorry. Deal with it. Michael, you'll never have sex! You're sorry. It's probably for the best so deal with it!" Joey realizes the voices in his head are the people who surround him with his problems. Joey storms up the stairs. "Michael, I expect my afternoon sandwich to be pushed under my door!" He goes in his room and comes out holding hands with the cousin. He screams and points to the scream "OUT!". He exits again. The cousin nods at everybody prefusely, then screams WOO HA!!! and exits.

We see Joey sitting on the couch watching old things he was in. Days of Our Lives, Itchiban, milk informercials. Gina enters and has a talk with him about how he's right how all they do is want Joey to help out on him problems. Joey says it's okay because helping the ones he loves gives his life meaning. Gina says Wow that's so gay. Gina tells Joey the story of the time when he saw Superman as a kid and thought he could fly. Gina said that the old Joey would go and audition where they liked it or not. Joey agrees and runs into the door. "THE KID IS BACK!" and exits.

He storms into the audition. The wrong audition. The guy goes along with it and reads the script.

JOEY: Quick, man! We have to get the body to ocean!
GUY: But I'm only ten.
JOEY: The seals will eat it!
GUY: You're the best mom ever.
JOEY: Not if the Puerto Ricans find us first!

Something along those lines. Then Joey pretends to *beep* them with machine guns.

We see Zach and Joey in a bar. (new hang-out?)

ZACH: So when did you realize you were in the wrong audition?
JOEY: When the kid scored the winning goal after I already killed him for doing my wife.

Joey says they liked him and he auditioned anyway but he doesn't think he's gonna get it. Gina nad Michael enter. Gina says she got word of the auditioners for the movie and says...

GINA: They thought you were fantastic.
JOEY: Oh yeah, sure. And they were a fan of my work too?
GINA: Yeah they were.
JOEY: Just tell me. Who did they cast?
GINA: Some guy named Joey Tribbiani.
JOEY: Man, I hate that guy! (THINKS) Oh my GOD!!!!
ZACH: When you stop thinking, you really stop thinking!

Joey pushes Michael to the ground and gets on his knees. He tells Gina that news this big would be brought by Bobbie. Then Bobbie enters drunk.

BOBBIE: The line was really big so I went to the bar next door.

Joey hugs her and Bobbie looks at the glass in her hand.

BOBBIE: I must spilled it.

She then runs out. Joey says drinks for the entire bar. Bobbie comes running back inside "Who said that??!?!". They have a group hug, all of them...Joey, Bobbie, Gina, Michael and Zach. Joey then says "That's a backroom? I thought it was a mirror. Everybody we can share a glass of wine!"

Joey then shows up at Alex's for their date. Alex says Joey was right and that they don't have to have a date. Joey says no come upstairs and they climb a ladder to the roof.

On the roof is Alex's favorite lilacs and all these candles. They talk and are about to kiss. They are falling for each other. Before they kiss, Joey pulls away and laughs. And says that he just romanced her and he's end of the bargain is finished. He takes a flower and puts it in his pocket and starts going down the ladder. Alex stands there, shocked. She fell for Joey. Joey comes back up and says "Of course, that doesn't mean we can't hook up every once in a while." Silence. Joey laughs again. He climbs down the ladder and Alex just stands there.

ANOTHER FUNNY LINES:
ALEX: It takes a lot to get into bed with me!
JOEY: Does it? DOES IT?!?! 'Cause I remember two shots of tequilla and me saying you look like a young Meg Ryan to get you into a bed.
ALEX: You didn't mean that?! That's so evil!

TV Watcher
08-28-2005, 07:57 PM
So Joey and Alex did the dirty deed? :D

Brian Damage
08-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh man, I've got to see this.

adisodes106
08-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Something else I just remembered...when Joey talks to Alex about their night together, he admits he was trying to work off a steak.

DukeDevils9192
09-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Just an absolutely hilarious episode. It hit on almost every cylinder.

The writing was much tighter than last season, the characters were much better defined, the acting was above average and it was really just plain good.

Excellent way to start the season.

TJL
09-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Joey may just be the stupidest character in prime time TV history.

;)

Great season premiere.

Brian Damage
09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I see alot of promise for this upcoming season.

sonyab
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
When Joey went to his audition that was hysterical!!!! I was laughing so hard!!! :) The voices in his head ahhh rofl. I can't believe Joey and Alex had sex yuck but boy did Joey work out? Woah. :) *drool* Gina had longer hair. did she grow it or is it fake? Mikey pretends he is Joey to get a lady? Didn't he already do that in the first season?

America loved Joey they picked him to live on the show deep powder but Bobby went to far with wanting to give him a raise and things. It doesn't matter now because JOEY IS A MOVIE STAR YAY!!!!!! :happyface :wave: :crazy:

That black guy who gave Joey his card, well when Joey called him what the heck was he doing? Getting something done? That little doggy was cute.. the doggy was looking at the camera. :)

Alex was so annoying in this episode. Just shut up! You should have been with Mikey! Mikey tries to lose his virginity but can't!!! :lol: :lol:

Great episode!!!!!! :)

snl 70s show fan
09-23-2005, 01:26 AM
i thought it was great zach should be a welcome additon to the show i thought it was really funny when he started talking about snow peas in the middle of joeys diaitribe about what was wrong with his life

tvfan0101
09-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I loved it. Brilliant opener. Too bad the ratings are so low. The show has so much potential.

TVFactFan
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
I loved it. Brilliant opener. Too bad the ratings are so low. The show has so much potential.

It couldn;t have been too brilliant when a UPN show had more viewers at 8pm

savy333
09-23-2005, 07:36 PM
It couldn;t have been too brilliant when a UPN show had more viewers at 8pm
Would you just shut up? Just because 25 million people didn't watch does not make it a bad show. Ever heard of Freaks and Geeks? That show had some of the worst ratings ever seen on NBC but it was insanely funny and is cult classic.

Brian Damage
09-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Would you just shut up? Just because 25 million people didn't watch does not make it a bad show. Ever heard of Freaks and Geeks? That show had some of the worst ratings ever seen on NBC but it was insanely funny and is cult classic.

Exactly, I hate when people judge a show's quality by its ratings. Personally, I still find Joey to be enjoyable.

savy333
09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
The Bobbie scenes were the best parts of the episode. I absolutely loved when she started crying and then screamed "Do you think I'm pretty?" She is so funny! I just wish there was more Bobbie. Oh well. Hopefully she gets more airtime in the next episode. I was a little annoyed that she was hardly in the second half of the episode at all. Hopefully, Joey can find its audience this year and can have a long run on NBC.

TVFactFan
09-23-2005, 07:58 PM
The Bobbie scenes were the best parts of the episode. I absolutely loved when she started crying and then screamed "Do you think I'm pretty?" She is so funny! I just wish there was more Bobbie. Oh well. Hopefully she gets more airtime in the next episode. I was a little annoyed that she was hardly in the second half of the episode at all. Hopefully, Joey can find its audience this year and can have a long run on NBC.

I hope you are not talking about a Long Run like Friends-lol

Brian Damage
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I hope you are not talking about a Long Run like Friends-lol

Maybe not a long run like Friends, but 5 seasons.

tvfan0101
09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Look, Retro, we get that you are not a fan of the show. Some of us actually enjoy it. I laughed harder at the premiere than I have in ages.

Would you quit waltzing in here and knocking the series?

TVFactFan
09-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Look, Retro, we get that you are not a fan of the show. Some of us actually enjoy it. I laughed harder at the premiere than I have in ages.

Would you quit waltzing in here and knocking the series?

I'm a fan of the show too, i watched it last night i'm just saying it's getting off to a crappy start in the ratings and may not be around after the 2005-06 season.

Brian Damage
09-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm a fan of the show too, i watched it last night i'm just saying it's getting off to a crappy start in the ratings and may not be around after the 2005-06 season.

Well the thing is, overall, the ratings aren't horrible. Yes NBC expected better, but sitcoms across the board are getting ratings like this or even lower. Since there is nothing better on the horizon, this show is here to stay...at least this year.

Johnny S
09-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Technically, lets say NBC does decide to can "Joey". Since it is still a Warner Bros. produced show, coudn't they just move "Joey to The WB. I know ratings would be even worse, but for WB it would be one of their top rated shows.

Pavan
09-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Just a heads-up: NBC has at least 3 sitcoms coming this mid-season, plus Scrubs. So, Joey better shape up because I think Earl will move to Thursdays very soon, if its ratings success continues. Something has to leave with all those shows coming.

DukeDevils9192
09-24-2005, 12:13 PM
The fact is that if Earl moved to Thursdays, it'd suffer a ratings hit, too. Up against Survivor and The O.C. (far from a ratings powerhouse, but it attracts enough of the 18-34 audience that it presents a slight problem) and now Everybody Hates Chris, nothing is going to pull in Friends type ratings.

Plus, you can't base Joey's future off the first few weeks. It has a lot to rebuild and it's going to need great word-of-mouth to put it back. They need several really strong episodes to begin rebuilding the fanbase.

I think NBC's invested too much in this show and in Matt to just give up on it.

Brian Damage
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
The fact is that if Earl moved to Thursdays, it'd suffer a ratings hit, too. Up against Survivor and The O.C. (far from a ratings powerhouse, but it attracts enough of the 18-34 audience that it presents a slight problem) and now Everybody Hates Chris, nothing is going to pull in Friends type ratings.

Plus, you can't base Joey's future off the first few weeks. It has a lot to rebuild and it's going to need great word-of-mouth to put it back. They need several really strong episodes to begin rebuilding the fanbase.

I think NBC's invested too much in this show and in Matt to just give up on it.

Agreed! The first show was very strong. Viewers have habits. Last year, the overall opinion was that it wasn't that strong of a show. With word of mouth and some strong episodes, this year could build up.

Pavan
09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
It is just very strange that NBC picked-up two additional comedies for mid-season well after upfront, though. Originally they only had planned one mid-season comedy and Scrubs. I really think The Office and Joey will be out as SOMETHING will have to leave or go on hiatus for these four comedies.

This is what I think they'll do come mid-season:

Tuesdays
8:00PM Scrubs
8:30PM New Sitcom
(I doubt The Biggest Loser will be all season)
9:00PM My Name is Earl (if it does well, it'll stay here for the rest of the season and possibly a move to Thursdays next fall)
9:30PM New Sitcom

Thursdays
8:00PM Will & Grace (I doubt they'll remove this show, since it is gone after this season anyway)
8:30PM New Sitcom

Fear Factor is also slated to return to the schedule at some point. NBC is in clear panic mode after all their Thursday shows were down more than 20% from last season's debut, and that includes The Apprentice and ER.

savy333
09-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I think they will dump E-Ring and Martha Stewart Apprentice before they get rid of Joey. Both of those shows ratings were way worse then Joey. And since those are hour long shows, then only one of them needs to be canceled in order for both of the new sitcoms to air mid-season.

Trust me, Joey is not going anywhere.

TVFactFan
09-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I think they will dump E-Ring and Martha Stewart Apprentice before they get rid of Joey. Both of those shows ratings were way worse then Joey. And since those are hour long shows, then only one of them needs to be canceled in order for both of the new sitcoms to air mid-season.

Trust me, Joey is not going anywhere.

Why are you comparing the Ratings for Martha Stewart and Joey? Martha is a NEW show, Joey is NOT so it's really no comparison.

savy333
09-24-2005, 08:23 PM
How is that "no comparison"? Generally speaking, if a show starts off with poor ratings, it has no chance. Joey has pretty good ratings and I don't expect the ratings to decline. But, I wouldn't be suprised if Martha's ratings were cut in half next week since no one was really impressed with that show. Just my theory, but we'll see...

Pavan
09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
E-Ring had more than 9 million viewers, more than Joey. It was up against Lost, too, which snagged well over 23 million.
And if that or Martha does get canceled (Martha won't, since that is probably just until December), I doubt NBC will schedule comedies on a Wednesday night.

TVFactFan
09-24-2005, 08:55 PM
How is that "no comparison"? Generally speaking, if a show starts off with poor ratings, it has no chance. Joey has pretty good ratings and I don't expect the ratings to decline. But, I wouldn't be suprised if Martha's ratings were cut in half next week since no one was really impressed with that show. Just my theory, but we'll see...

I think Martha will be given a chance since it's new or even moved to a new Time slot. On the otherhand, Joey doesn't have a lot of time to improve in the Ratings since it's a 2nd year show with the first yerar not being that impressive.

Rachel3118
10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't see the point of the Martha Staurt show. I watched it for like five minutes and it was the apprientice with a different person. Joey should definatly last longer then it does. Didn't Joey get pretty good ratings?

slackermonkey
10-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Back on topic, I never got around to posting my impressions of this episode.

I like the direction the show is taking, but there's still a lot of work to go before it can be considered a solid sitcom. The changes they're making are all steps in the right direction, so fingers crossed.

I wasn't sure about the new character Zach from this episode, but from later episodes he's shown more potential. The actor, Miguel Nunez, is very funny and could very well elevate the character. I hope there's more emphasis played on the relationship between him and Joey, Zach the schemer vs. the more earnest Joey.

Joey annoyed me in this episode. I don't know if it was the way the character was written or MLB's acting, but he didn't feel right and was far too shrill. Some of his audition scenes were literally painful to watch. Fortunately, Joey/MLB have been far more enjoyable to watch in the following two episodes, much closer to how the character was portrayed in "Friends."

As far as the original supporting cast, it's good to see Alex and especially Bobbie getting more attention, something I hope to see continued in future episodes. With Gina and Michael, I felt more emphasis still needs to be placed on them, especially Michael (Did his storyline even get any closure? Not that I remember.) Gina was the least used character last year while Michael was the least well-drawn, so I'm hoping the producers' promises of seeing Gina more involved in stories and Michael getting some important storylines proves true.