PDA

View Full Version : Who sang the theme song?

Rob
07-13-2001, 09:13 AM
Does anyone have any idea?

------------------

dino
07-24-2001, 07:04 AM
The theme song was sung by Janet Dubois, who played Wilona. She also sang the Jeffersons theme song and can also be seen on The Wayans Bros. She plays grandma.

dino
07-24-2001, 07:07 AM
Johhny Brown, who played Bookman, also sang the theme song.

boechsner
11-14-2001, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty sure Ja'net Du Bois did not sing the Good Times theme song. However, she did sing the Jeffersons theme song.

ThomasE
11-14-2001, 03:07 PM
Well I kinda think she did too.

Tracy
04-04-2002, 12:25 PM
I am sure she did not sing the theme song to Good Times. It was a group of folks who were meant to micmick the cast.

Tiger32
04-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Janet Du Bois sang the theme song. There is absolutely no question about that.

boechsner
04-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Janet Du Bois sang the theme song. There is absolutely no question about that.

Oh, but there is. First of all, compare her on The Jeffersons theme and then listen to the Good Times theme. Just maybe she's singing with the group towards the end of the theme when the whole group sings the last line but that certainly isn't her singing "Any time you need a friend" or "Just lookin' out of the window, watching the asphalt grow" or "Easy credit and ripoffs".

After hearing The Jeffersons' theme as many times as I have, you will automatically know her voice when you hear it.

isiahthomas
08-21-2002, 01:58 PM
I love the theme song, i don't care who sang it. I saw Bookman recently on a Popeye's chicken commercial.

laneyday
09-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Where's the proof that Janet Du'bois sang the 'Good Times' theme song. I definately know about The Jefferson's. Quite a difference in the voice quality.:happyface

marvin g
09-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Very Interesting trivia question!

Personally I've never seen her name listed in the credits as a singer for Good Times.

laneyday
12-06-2003, 09:17 AM
In the closing credits you'll see who sang the theme song to Good Times. They were Marilyn & Alan Bergan and Dave Gersin.:dog:

TVFactFan
12-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by laneyday
In the closing credits you'll see who sang the theme song to Good Times. They were Marilyn & Alan Bergan and Dave Gersin.:dog:

I always thought the cast of Good Times sung the theme song-LOL

laneyday
12-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I'll be honest with you. When I was a kid I thought it was John Amos and Thelma who sang the lead so you're not alone there.:lol:

marvin g
12-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I believe Alan and Marilyn Bergman wrote the song but not sang it. Those are definately black voices singing that song.

hch
12-12-2003, 12:15 PM
The people who sang the Good Times theme were Jim Gilstrap and Blinky Williams, according to The Tv Theme Soundtrack Directory.

laneyday
12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Jim Gilstrap and Blinky Williams sound far more like it than Marylin and Dave Bergman.:lol:

AquaHarmony
01-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Wilona and Bookman sung the Good Times theme song. Alan and Marilyn were writers. I thought everyone knew that. And yes, she sang the Jefferson's them too! :wave:

marvin g
01-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Bookman wasn't on the show when the theme song was recorded. Willona could have been a background singer though.

laneyday
01-14-2004, 06:33 PM
That voice is not Wilona's.:dog:

julian bozo
07-26-2005, 12:52 AM
This is the real honest truth

Good Times theme song :
written by Alan and Marilyn Bergman and David Grusin
sung by Jim Gilstrap and Blinky Williams

Good Times Anytime you meet a payment.
Good Times Anytime you need a friend.
Good Times Anytime you you're out from under.

Not getting hassled,not getting hustled
Keepin' your head above water,
making a wave when you can.

Temporary layoffs.Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.Good Times.
Scratchin' and Surviving Good Times.
Hangin in a chowline. Good Times.

Ain't we lucky we got 'em.Good Times

wdc2998
07-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I realize it wasn't them but "Temporary Layoffs" sounded like John Amos and "Scratchin' and Surviving" sounded like Jimmie Walker. "Hangin in a chowline" definitely sounded like Janet Du Bois. Perhaps the singers were instructed to try and sound like the cast members.

Zions Mother
07-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment.
Good Times.
Any time you need a friend.
Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.

Not getting hastled, not getting hustled.
Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs.
Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.
Good Times.
Scratchin' and surviving.
Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line
Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em
Good Times.

Dave Grusin with Andrew and Marilyn Bergman where the composers.

Sung by: Jim Gilstrap and Blinky Williams. There is also a gospel choir that attributes to the song. :singer:

TVFactFan
07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Good Times.
Good Times.
Good Times.

Temporary lay offs.
Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.
Good Times.
Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line
Good Times.
Good Times.

Dave Grusin with Andrew and Marilyn Bergman where the composers.

Sung by: Jim Gilstrap and Blinky Williams. There is also a gospel choir that attributes to the song. :singer:

I read that Roaches Roamin the Hallways was taken out of the closing theme when the show went into syndication

Brian Damage
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Are you sure it was hangin in the chowline, because I honestly believe it was hangin in the jury.

Sammy Reed
07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I read that Roaches Roamin the Hallways was taken out of the closing theme when the show went into syndication
"Roaches roamin' the hallways"?!?
Is that really in the original end theme? On the DVD, is that on the end theme? This sure is news to me!

TVFactFan
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
"Roaches roamin' the hallways"?!?
Is that really in the original end theme? On the DVD, is that on the end theme? This sure is news to me!

Nope it was only heard when the show first premeired in feb of 74

Trishalla
07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Are you sure it was hangin in the chowline, because I honestly believe it was hangin in the jury.
Uh
I'm pretty sure its hanging in the chowline

Trishalla
07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
NOW WHERE DID YOU READ THAT
:crazy:

TVFactFan
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
NOW WHERE DID YOU READ THAT

1974 Jet magazine

Trishalla
07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
1974 Jet magazine
INTERESTING

NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THAT ONE

TVFactFan
07-26-2005, 02:04 PM
INTERESTING

NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THAT ONE

I guess the only way to confirm it would be to find a CBS broadcast of the very first episode of Good Times

Trishalla
07-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I guess the only way to confirm it would be to find a CBS broadcast of the very first episode of Good Times

I don't have to do that when I have you RetroTVCollector :wave:

Zions Mother
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM

I can believe that since the Cabrini Green projects were infested with them :eek:

Wish I could have seen Cabrini Green before they tore it down, even though Good Times wasn't actually filmed on location. Some of the people from the original Cabrini Green projects are now fortunately living "Good Lives" :)

Trishalla
07-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I can believe that since the Cabrini Green projects were infested with them :eek:

Wish I could have seen Cabrini Green before they tore it down, even though Good Times wasn't actually filmed on location. Some of the people from the original Cabrini Green projects are now fortunately living "Good Lives" :)

I did see the outside of Cabrini Green Before they tore it down it looked just like it does it the credits

magellan333
07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
I always thought it was "Hanging and Jiving"

LadyBee
07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Side note: James Gilstrap sung the opening lines of Stevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life".

Brian Damage
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Uh
I'm pretty sure its hanging in the chowline

Good Times Opening Theme
Good Times
Any time you meet a payment
Good Times
Any time you need a friend
Good Times
Any time you're out from under
Not gettin' hassled, not gettin' hustled
Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can
Temporary lay-offs
Good Times
Easy credit rip-offs
Good Times
Scratchin' and survivin'
Good Times
Hangin' in a jury
Good Times
Aint we lucky we got 'em
Good Times

Zions Mother
07-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Good Times Opening Theme
Good Times
Any time you meet a payment
Good Times
Any time you need a friend
Good Times
Any time you're out from under
Not gettin' hassled, not gettin' hustled
Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can
Temporary lay-offs
Good Times
Easy credit rip-offs
Good Times
Scratchin' and survivin'
Good Times
Hangin' in a jury
Good Times
Aint we lucky we got 'em
Good Times

It's definitely "hangin in achowline". "Hangin in a jury" would not be applicable to living in the projects.
Good Times Theme Song Lyrics
Good Times.
Good Times.
Good Times.

Temporary lay offs.
Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.
Good Times.
Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line
Good Times.
Good Times.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Jinxey
07-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't have to do that when I have you RetroTVCollector :wave:

Hold It Folks......
On The DVD......before the theme song comes on the very first episode of Good Times....I hear an announcer say something like "live from Hollywood, California"

The episodes shown must be the ones originally broadcasted.

Jinxey
07-27-2005, 08:37 PM
If you notice during the end credits, the theme music is sung COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from any other episode.

It's weird.....

If you have the DVD, watch it for yourself.

TVFactFan
07-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Hold It Folks......
On The DVD......before the theme song comes on fir the very first episode of Good Times....I hear an announcer say something like "live from Hollywood, California"

The episodes shown must be the ones originally broadcasted.

Yeah that's before the opening credits

Jinxey
07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah that's before the opening credits

Right...so that has to be an original broadcast...so the "roaches roaming the hallways line" is not in the theme song.

TVFactFan
07-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Right...so that has to be an original broadcast...so the "roaches roaming the hallways line" is not in the theme song.

Roaches roamin the hallway line was in the closing credits

Jinxey
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Roaches roamin the hallway line was in the closing credits

Retro...I checked the closing credits of the 1st episode on my DVD. No mention of roaches roaming the hallway.

Jinxey
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
If you notice during the end credits, the theme music is sung COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from any other episode.

It's weird.....

If you have the DVD, watch it for yourself.

It's not on the DVD, this version is shown only on TV Land.

OK...I noticed something else on the DVD. Parts of the closing credits are missing. Will start a new thread on this. Time for a newbie investigation.

TVFactFan
07-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Retro...I checked the closing credits of the 1st episode on my DVD. No mention of roaches roaming the hallway.

It wouldn't be on the DVD, it was only heard ONCE on Feb 8, 1974 on CBS during the CLOSING credits. Then it was Taken out and never heard again.

Jinxey
07-28-2005, 09:46 PM
It wouldn't be on the DVD, it was only heard ONCE on Feb 8, 1974 on CBS during the CLOSING credits. Then it was Taken out and never heard again.
Oh ok.....but that sucks...I guess "roaches" was too graphic to put in a theme song back then.....lol

TVFactFan
07-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Oh ok.....but that sucks...I guess "roaches" was too graphic to put in a theme song back then.....lol

I know, that's why I'm now on the hunt for the Original CBS broadcast of the first episode of Good Times on feb 8. 1974 so I can hear for myself.

Brian Damage
07-28-2005, 11:54 PM
I know, that's why I'm now on the hunt for the Original CBS broadcast of the first episode of Good Times on feb 8. 1974 so I can hear for myself.

Good Luck finding that. You've got a better shot at fing "Checking In."

TVFactFan
07-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Good Luck finding that. You've got a better shot at fing "Checking In."

I know, it will be tough. But if I find it I will change my name to "KingofRetroTV"-lol

legba
10-08-2006, 02:09 AM
sounds like Thee Mavis Staples to me.In fact it sounds like all the Staple singers!!!Anyone not familiar listen to ''I'll take you there''famous staples hit!!!!Just a theory

frani
10-21-2006, 07:33 AM
I agree that Alan and Marilyn Bergman did not sing it. They are songwriters. And they wrote the song. I do hear Bookman's voice though in there.