PDA

View Full Version : Can Joey be saved?

spunkygirl
01-20-2005, 02:45 PM
from the tvguide insider:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/050120b.asp

If Joey is to get by, he's gonna need a little help from his Friends. Almost six months after Matt LeBlanc's NBC sitcom premiered to good reviews and great ratings, viewers are vanishing, and they're taking the critics with them. In other words, the show had better get a lot better fast or it'll quickly join AfterM*A*S*H in spin-off heaven.

"It's not about anything more than Joey moving to Los Angeles, living in an apartment and interacting with his sister and nephew," groans Ed Martin, editor of the TV-biz newsletter "Jack Myers Report." Adds an industry insider: "If it's not sinking, it's certainly floundering."

Although NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly notes that Joey is the season's No. 1 new comedy, he concedes, "There's work to be done." Efforts are under way to surround Chandler's former roommate with more interesting, er, pals. "The show is being opened up," Reilly says, citing Lucy Liu's recent guest stint as the producer of "Deep Powder," the prime-time soap Joey stars on. "There will also be a cast member or two added," and story lines will span multiple episodes.

Executive producer Kevin Bright says the series will refocus on "Joey being a fish out of water in L.A." An upcoming episode finds the lovable dimwit stuck in traffic en route to his first Tonight Show appearance. Backstage drama at "Deep Powder" will also come to the fore.

And if all else fails, Joey's old buddies may all together now be there for him. A cameo by, say, Courteney Cox or Matthew Perry "isn't out of the question," Reilly teases. But Bright wants to get Joey in fighting shape first. "I don't see how [a guest spot] would be helpful," he says, "except to get people to tune in for one week." At this point, that might not be such a bad idea.

slackermonkey
01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
I'll just copy/paste my reply at Friends Boards:

Thank God they're aware of how mediocre the show has been so far. Opening up the show, especially with Friends-style multi-episode story arcs, sounds like a step in the right direction. I'm not so sure about more characters though. Shouldn't they first work on developing the ones they already have?

By the way, I wouldn't say the ratings are "disappointing" or "slipping." It's not doing as well as it should be, but based on how well NBC's other shows are doing, especially Will & Grace, it's doing alright for itself.

Brian Damage
01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
First of all, it is nice to see Reilly give the show a vote of confidence. Second of all, I don't have a problem with the show adding a couple of characters. As long as they carefully choose who they are going to be. To be honest, I don't know why critics are complaining about the early episodes with Joey interracting with the other characters in his apartment. Joey was new in town with no job and was just getting reaquainted with his family. Were they the strongest episodes? No, but they still were serviceable. I absolutely agree with the longer story arcs. That in my opinion, is what made Friends such a success. The stories didn't allow the viewer to turn away and miss an episode.

slackermonkey
01-20-2005, 10:57 PM
No story arcs was one of the major disappointments for me when the show first started. I'm really, really glad they're going in that direction again. I don't mind the occasional self-contained episode - in fact, they make for a nice break in between arcs and such - but stories stretching over several episodes provides a hook that hopefully will land a few more viewers.

Brian Damage
01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree that is why I like this whole Deep Powder arc so much.

slackermonkey
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I do too, to an extent. I prefer a story arc if it's broken up by other stories occasionally. With the past six episodes all being related to Joey's new role on Deep Powder, I'm a little burned out on that story and want to see more stories about him and his family and adjusting to L.A.

Brian Damage
01-20-2005, 11:43 PM
I think tonite's episode qualifies for that.

slackermonkey
01-20-2005, 11:57 PM
True. That's why I'm looking forward to the Valentines episode.

slackermonkey
01-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Liu's was just a guest stint. I doubt they'll make her a regular.

Interestingly enough, it's looking like Bobbie's starting to be in every episode now. Usually, she'd appear for 1 or 2 of every 3 episodes, but by Feb 3, she'll have been in the past four consecutive episodes.

Brian Damage
01-22-2005, 10:17 AM
I assume she is one of two people that have been added as a regular cast member.

slackermonkey
01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
She's already a regular cast member. Her name has been in the credits all season long.

Brian Damage
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
I guess, but she hasn't been in every episode. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she'll have a more prominent role on the show.

slackermonkey
01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Apparently, when NBC ordered the first thirteen episodes, she was contracted to do the pilot and six additional episodes. Once the network ordered the back 11 episodes, she was contracted to join the show as a full-time cast member.

Brian Damage
01-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I see. Plus, the critics seem to love her the most out of the whole show. I wouldn't be surprised if NBC offered her her own sitcom.

slackermonkey
01-23-2005, 06:59 PM
That's actually how she got the job on Joey.

She was set up at NBC to develop her own sitcom, and plans were stalling. The Joey producers, meanwhile, had a small role for Joey's agent in the pilot (which was actually intended to be a one-shot appearance; Joey would make references to her in subsequent episodes) and loved her work, so she was offered the role after plans for her sitcom fell through. They enjoyed having her so much that they offered her a recurring regular role on the show, with the option to become a full-time regular later in the series.

Brian Damage
01-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Interesting

ginnypa2
02-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I watched Joey last night and my observation is...
In order for Joey to survive it has to become more believable...His sister is great...the blonde lawyer/apartment manager is a big bore and needs to be replaced as soon as possible....his nephew is very likable and actually the most refreshing character on the show...his agent is funny, but again completly unbelivable....and Joey, well Joey needs to watch the re-runs of Friends to get his "Joey back". He is not playing the same character...and the blonde lawyer/apartment manager's husband....well, he is a never was, sitcom loser....this show has no chemistry....so it needs to get rid of the dead weight and get some "real" believable characters in it....why did a zillion people tune into Friends, Fraiser, Wings, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld every week???????????????? Because they could identify with the characters....no true about Joey...but maybe not too late....

slackermonkey
02-04-2005, 11:53 PM
What? Joey is no different. He acts exactly the same as he did in Friends, the only change being he's a little smarter, but that was an essential change if the show's gonna revolve around him.

I don't see anything wrong with Alex either. She's actually my favorite of these new characters so far.

barwars
02-05-2005, 09:38 AM
What? Joey is no different. He acts exactly the same as he did in Friends, the only change being he's a little smarter, but that was an essential change if the show's gonna revolve around him.

I don't see anything wrong with Alex either. She's actually my favorite of these new characters so far.

What do you mean by "new characters"??
Everyone aside from Joey himself??

slackermonkey
02-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Yeah.

slackermonkey
02-06-2005, 07:01 PM
1. I've been fighting for this since around the sixth or seventh episode. Too much Joey. I know he's the star and main character, but he doesn't have to be in every scene and be the center point of every storyline. Give Gina, Michael, and especially Alex and Bobbie more to do.

2. That doesn't sound like it'd work here to me.

3. Nope, bad idea. It's very, very smart of them to not have any friends on this season, and to keep the Friends references to a minimum. They shouldn't show up until at least next season, and definitely not in a multi-episode storyline. Just one episode.

4. Definitely better writing. I'm not so sure it's the writers themselves that are the problem, because the last four or five episodes have been much better-written. But there's still room for improvement.

5. There's already an upcoming episode centering around an awards show, so this would just be repetitive. The finale is better served to have something character-based that deals with the main story arc, like how Friends' first finale raised the ante in the Ross & Rachel arc. But there hasn't been much cohesion in the way of story arcs with Joey so far. I do think it would be a good idea to establish Joey as a well-known actor though.

barwars
02-06-2005, 07:56 PM
The best way to have Joey's season end would be to have Alex find her husband cheating on her.

This way it opens up a door for Joey and Michael to go after her, in the second season.

slackermonkey
02-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm not so sure about Michael going after her. The actors/characters have good chemistry, but other than that, I don't see a reason for it. They don't have a romantic kind of connection, and Alex being 8 years older than him is a little weird.

Don't get me wrong - Joey and Alex don't have much of a romantic connection either, aside from "Joey and the Husband," but it'd make more sense... for me, anyway.

barwars
02-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I could see them both going after her, and both getting shot down. Bring in a new character to be a love interest for Joey.

barwars
02-06-2005, 08:47 PM
I guess I'm going to have to accept the fact that Bobbie will be part of the cast for the remainder of the series.

I think expanding the cast to 7 or 8 characters could help it out a lot. Have a revolving door of cast members, with only the Main 4 in every episode.

Add: Howie, Glen, and another female character. Possibly Alex's sister.

slackermonkey
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Bobbie has always been a part of the cast. Her deal for the original order of 13 episodes was to appear in only six, similar to how Bulldog was signed to do a certain number of episodes during the seasons when he was a Frasier regular, but would get still get a main credit.

Once the show got a full season order, her contract was revised to make her appearances full-time.

barwars
02-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Bobbie has always been a part of the cast. Her deal for the original order of 13 episodes was to appear in only six, similar to how Bulldog was signed to do a certain number of episodes during the seasons when he was a Frasier regular, but would get still get a main credit.

Once the show got a full season order, her contract was revised to make her appearances full-time.

I realized that.
I was hoping that she would be cut with the "retooling"
But apparently she is one of the parts of the show NBC is pleased with. Which dissappoints me.

slackermonkey
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Ah, okay.

I personally really like Bobbie. I think she's hilarious. But it's easy to see how she can annoy other people. That style of humor isn't for everyone.

mEatball
02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Bobbie is real annoying. I think it might be her voice that she uses, but overall, less is more with her. As for Howie, I like him just the way he is, in small doses. Howie is funny, but is too one dimensional.

ChambersVsMalone
02-12-2005, 04:21 AM
I love the idea of Alex's husband cheating on her (well that sounds odd lol) for the season finale. I think that they should then have Joey be a real help/comfort to her before he starts to go after her, though. This way I could totally see a realtionship between them someday. I think if they played this Joey/Alex card right, it could help the show. A TV couple, if done right, can make all the difference, it really seems to get the viewers attached.

When is the season finale being taped?

TVFactFan
02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I love the idea of Alex's husband cheating on her (well that sounds odd lol) for the season finale. I think that they should then have Joey be a real help/comfort to her before he starts to go after her, though. This way I could totally see a realtionship between them someday. I think if they played this Joey/Alex card right, it could help the show. A TV couple, if done right, can make all the difference, it really seems to get the viewers attached.

When is the season finale being taped?

Seems Like Alex has lesbian tendencies after watching the last two eps-LOL

Brian Damage
02-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Seems Like Alex has lesbian tendencies after watching the last two eps-LOL

That would be a funny twist

barwars
02-12-2005, 12:55 PM
That would be a funny twist

Actually, I think it could really help the show. It gives the Joey/Alex relationship a whole new dynamic, along with the Gina/Alex relationship.

Not to mention what would happen between Alex and her husband.

Not a bad idea at all.

slackermonkey
02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
That's why I thought a Joey/Alex pairing would be good. They complement each other in a kind of Sam & Diane way (though not nearly as dynamic), so they'd be funny, but it'd also add the element of how Gina would react to the relationship.

There was a great cut line in "Joey and the Husband" where Joey insists to Gina that he's not worried about her husband because he likes her. Gina replies, "Well, I hope not. Not with her. I don't trust anything that perky."

barwars
02-12-2005, 04:23 PM
That's why I thought a Joey/Alex pairing would be good. They complement each other in a kind of Sam & Diane way (though not nearly as dynamic), so they'd be funny, but it'd also add the element of how Gina would react to the relationship.

There was a great cut line in "Joey and the Husband" where Joey insists to Gina that he's not worried about her husband because he likes her. Gina replies, "Well, I hope not. Not with her. I don't trust anything that perky."

Ohh no, I think Alex should go the lesbian route rather than pairing up with Joey.
It would be more of a Sam/Rebecca or Will/Grace relationship. Well, aside from them trying to have a baby together, which both of these "couples" did.

slackermonkey
02-13-2005, 01:47 AM
My bad. Sleep deprivation. It happens to the best of us.

I hope they never do a babymaking storyline with Joey/Alex, unless they're actually a couple. I hated that plot on Cheers, but for some reason it made more sense on Will & Grace, which is weird because I find Cheers to be the vastly superior show of the two.