PDA

View Full Version : Even if Joey is cancelled, do you think we'll get a DVD set of it?

Edster2973
01-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Hello all,

Just wondering something. Once Season 10 of Friends comes out, does anyone know if WB will continue on with releases of Joey, even if the show is cancelled after one season?

I'm not saying it's definitely on death row, but it is a fact that is hasn't been doing nearly as well as NBC hoped. I'm thinking we'll at least get a second season and then if things don't improve ratings-wise, NBC will pull the plug. Naturally, I hope Joey has a long life.

But worse case scenario. Let's say Joey is cancelled after this season. Do you think we'll get a DVD release of the show once Friends Season 10 is released? I know it's only a spin-off, and I'm not as enamored with the show as I was with Friends, but I don't think my collection would be complete with a DVD release of Joey.

What say any of you? What do you want to happen? What do you think will happen and, do you think Joey will see release on DVD, even if it is short-lived?

Ed

slackermonkey
01-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Joey won't be canceled.

But we will definitely see a DVD set of it. Maybe not immediately after Friends season 10 is released, but soon.

Edster2973
01-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Joey won't be canceled.

I'd bet on it not being cancelled as well, but it's not a guarantee. Look at Coupling. That show didn't fail and yet it still was cancelled. It's not that NBC wants good ratings; they want a show that'll top the other networks. Right now Joey isn't doing that, and yet it is still doing well in the ratings (better than some shows with lesser ratings that remain on the air).

I'm counting on Joey having at least a second season, but I wouldn't rule out NBC cancelling it if a new show with some mega tv star presents itself as having more promise of winning its timeslot over Joey. That's what gets me nervous.

Which is why I was considering the worst case scenario. If it got cancelled, would we see a DVD release?

But we will definitely see a DVD set of it. Maybe not immediately after Friends season 10 is released, but soon.

Again, I'd count on it as well, but if, and I mean if, the show got cancelled, especially after Season 1, there's going to be a bit of embarrassment on behalf of all involved, so a DVD release may end up either indefinitely delayed or post-poned permanently (a la Birds of Prey).

Look at Three's a Crowd. It was a spin-off of the more popular Three's Company and it got cancelled at the last minute, even though it had done respectably well in the ratings. Most would've counted on it having at least a second season, and it didn't. Nothing's definite.

Perhaps with all of this uncertainty, it may be Matt Leblanc who opts not to continue. I'm not sure if his contract would allow him that leeway, but it isn't unheard of that a celebrity gets tired of the rat race, as well as the scrutiny of not measuring up to his first show, and opts to end the show voluntarily. A long shot, admittedly, but it could happen. I'm not clear if he's even happy doing his show, or is happy with the results of it. He may want to steer clear of the negative press about his spin-off and opt to stay home and raise his new child.

I hope it lasts at least half of the duration of Friends, if not longer, and I hope to have DVD sets of Joey right alongside my 10 season set of Friends. So far nothing you've said indicates that we're guaranteed that...

Ed

Brian Damage
01-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I think either way, we will get a DVD set of the show.

slackermonkey
01-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I can guarantee DVDs will come. I just don't know if it'll be immediately before the next season (a la Desperate Housewives and Lost) or if they'll take the Scrubs route of waiting until syndication to release it.