PDA

View Full Version : The show needs to be careful

Brian Damage
01-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Alot of the recurring or semi regular characters are a bit cartoonish, ie, Howie and Bobbie. Not to mention Gina's trashiness and Joey being as dimwitted as he is. The writers better be careful that this show doesn't become a cartoon with its outlandish rather unbelievable characters. That's why I like the character of Michael alot. He seems to be a good balance for the show. Although he and Alex have had their cartoonish moments as well.

slackermonkey
01-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I've noticed the same thing. I don't have a problem with Bobbie and Howard, as they're background, second-string characters who don't really need down-to-earth personalities, but Gina, Michael and Alex's characters right now are just too vague and, at best, two-dimensional. We haven't gotten to know them nearly as well in these first 14 episodes as we did the Friends in their first 14. I'm really hoping they'll start doing some stories that flesh out the characters and give them some depth beyond basic characterization, i.e. "Michael is smart."

Brian Damage
01-15-2005, 11:49 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. The good thing about Friends was it was like a continuing soap opera. It gave viewers a reason to tune in every week. Joey is starting that with this whole Deep Powder storyline, but need to get the others involved. Right now, the show is all about Joey and only Joey. I know he's the star of the show, but even Frasier developed in great detail the other characters.

slackermonkey
01-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Exactly. No matter what Frasier had going on, there was still his relationship with his dad to tune in for, plus the whole Niles & Daphne thing. So far, any stories the other three have are just filler.