PDA

View Full Version : What state do the Beverly Hillbillies come from?

lubdub
05-09-2001, 10:52 PM
What state do they come from it is urgent that I find this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

callmetootie
05-10-2001, 07:35 AM
They came from someplace called Cactus Creek I think.

------------------
Andrew Carden

Sean Snow
05-13-2001, 05:10 PM
Texas*? Oklahoma?

*It says Texas T in the theme song

------------------
Janet(talking about buying Roper's car): Chrissy, it's the answer to ourprayers.
Chrissy:That's not true. Nobody prayed.
Janet:Okay, then let's start. Please, God, make Chrissy change her mind.
Jack: Or better yet give her one!

ShermanW
05-19-2001, 06:24 PM
Probably Missouri. The show's creator, Paul Henning, is from Missouri, and the show makes many references to real Missouri Ozark towns, like Joplin, Silver Dollar City, and even the now-famous Branson. (Keep in mind, a few episodes were filmed in Silver Dollar City in 1969.) The pilot episode makes a reference to Eureka Springs, a real town in Northern Arkansas, so the Clampetts are definitely from the Ozarks. But given Henning's Missouri background, and the numerous Missouri towns mentioned, I'd say it's the Show Me State.

[This message has been edited by ShermanW (edited 05-19-2001).]

tdr
05-22-2001, 12:37 AM
It seems they can be thought of as being from the Ozarks or from southern Appalachia. Eureka Springs (AR) is mentioned in the first season as where Jed and Pearl saw the "moving pictures" when they were young. And they did do those shows from Silver Dollar City (MO) near where their old friends still live.

On the other hand, they were supposed to have known Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs as some of their old hill neighbors. Flatt was from Tennessee, and Scruggs was from North Carolina. And I seem to recall they refer to the Smokies of western Carolina and eastern Tennessee, from where the Foggy Mountain Boys got their start. And Tennessee is often alluded to, but I can't remember hearing the name Arkansas ever said in any ep. I'm not even sure if they identified Silver Dollar City as being in Missouri.

All this is quite silly, of course, to figure out something 'logical' from such a farce of a show. But one more point... the Ozarks are fairly close to known oil reserves in northern Oklahoma, and I don't recall hearing of much oil discovered in southern Appalachia.

TV Guy
05-29-2001, 02:57 PM
They never said what state it is, but I'm sure Paul Henning had his home state, Missouri, in mind when he created the show. They never said what state Hooterville, the setting for "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres", was in, either, and it was established that the Clampetts were from the same area originally.

Fleet
06-01-2001, 12:08 AM
I believe the answer is Tennessee. In the episode, 'Rasslin Clampets, Granny says, after seeing a character pretending to be from Tennessee lose a match, "nobody does that to a fellow Tennseesean."

jed1
06-01-2001, 08:54 AM
it was west virginia

jed1
06-01-2001, 08:55 AM
LUBDUB, It was from west virginia!!!

the5car
07-19-2001, 12:10 PM
The theme song suggests that they're
from West Virginia:

"Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed.."

As any WV resident can tell you, Mountaineers
are from West Virgina....after all, our state
motto is "Montani Semper Liberi", which
translates to "Mountaineers are always free"...

Let's go, Mountaineers !!!!
http://www.wvu.edu/~sports/

hiram
08-01-2001, 01:54 AM
Daisy "Granny" Moses was originally from Tennessee but ended up living with the Clampett clan some unknown time after her daughter married Jed, who lived just outside Bug Tussle, Missouri, in the Ozark Mountains near the Arkansas border. Granny is their only connection to people and places Appalachian. The Clampetts never lived anywhere near Tennessee, West Virginia, New Jersey, or any other ridiculous guess on this board.

Jed's first cousin, Pearl, married Fred Bodine and settled on the Arkansas side of the "hills", where they raised their children Jethro and Jethrine. (Jethro attended school in Oxford, Arkansas.)

The show contains repeated and consistent references to Granny's loyalty to her home state of Tennessee, the fact that the Clampetts are from the Ozarks, that the nearest non-fictional towns are ones in Missouri, and most importantly, that they are from the "Midwest"; that narrows it down to Missouri, since Arkansas is considered a Southern state.

I hope that makes everything clear as moonshine.

Ark Hillbilly
09-21-2001, 10:38 AM
I live in Harrison, Arkansas. As some of you might know, home to now defunct Dogpatch,USA. Harrison is between Eureka Springs and Branson. It is quiet possible that the Hillbillies could have been from around here.

Bedsheets2
09-22-2001, 05:18 PM
FYI Texas T...means OIL

tdr
11-06-2001, 10:23 PM
TV Land is showing some of the first season eps from the BH's this week, and I happened to catch it when Jed made some reference to 'Hooterville,' a town near 'back home.' This, of course, was before Petticoat Junction premeired the next season as a rather loose spin-off from the BH's where Cousin Pearl, the only kin of the Clampetts with any knowledge of the outside world, was renamed and placed in the role of the widowed mother of 3 daughters.

Perhaps both these series ideas were conceived about the same time, with Paul Henning having in mind his own home region of southern Missouri. I have read there actually was a familiar situation there of a widowed mother with 3 beautiful daughters who lived between 2 towns, and the young men from both those towns often made excuses to come to the bed & breakfast type inn the family kept. I don't remember where I read that, so maybe it's just silly gossip.

Anyway, in that same ep Jed also said that Granny is "from my wife's family from Tennessee," apparently implying he himself is not a Tennessean. So in this way it all seems to fit in... The Clampetts are from the Ozarks near the Arkansas/Missouri border, and some of their old neighbors still remember them when they go back to Silver Dollar City. Somehwere not too far away is Hooterville. Bea Benederet, after she began playing Kate Bradley, did not appear again as Pearl, although Pearl was occasionally alluded to. It's also interesting that in the PJ eps after she was gone was when the BH's started making those 'crossover' eps in which the PJ characters appeared.

I can think of a few situations which are not consistent with this scenario, but it is probably the best explanantion for the setting of the Henning comedies.

[This message has been edited by tdr (edited 11-06-2001).]

donman
11-08-2001, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by lubdub:
What state do they come from it is urgent that I find this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tennessee

Tiger32
01-17-2002, 08:39 PM
The Beverly Hillbillies were from the mountains of Tennessee. The fictional town was something like Bugtussle.

Freidym Rains
02-16-2002, 05:26 AM
Pretty sure it is Bugtussle, Tennessee. Seems I heard Granny say this once in an episode. :happyface
~Freidym R~

malibu1519
02-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Freidym Rains
Pretty sure it is Bugtussle, Tennessee. Seems I heard Granny say this once in an episode. :happyface
~Freidym R~

Smithygang
08-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by tdr
It seems they can be thought of as being from the Ozarks or from southern Appalachia. Eureka Springs (AR) is mentioned in the first season as where Jed and Pearl saw the "moving pictures" when they were young. And they did do those shows from Silver Dollar City (MO) near where their old friends still live.

On the other hand, they were supposed to have known Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs as some of their old hill neighbors. Flatt was from Tennessee, and Scruggs was from North Carolina. And I seem to recall they refer to the Smokies of western Carolina and eastern Tennessee, from where the Foggy Mountain Boys got their start. And Tennessee is often alluded to, but I can't remember hearing the name Arkansas ever said in any ep. I'm not even sure if they identified Silver Dollar City as being in Missouri.

All this is quite silly, of course, to figure out something 'logical' from such a farce of a show. But one more point... the Ozarks are fairly close to known oil reserves in northern Oklahoma, and I don't recall hearing of much oil discovered in southern Appalachia. :

:wave: :ufo:
1. I just wanted to add a few things that I know as fact from this posting........There was also a Silver Dollar City in Tennessee...in Pigeon Forge to be exact....it was sold many years ago & it is now "Dollywood". I had been to the TN Silver Dollar City many yrs ago & from what I saw on TV....they paterned it by it's buildings & surroundings.

2. As far as the not hearing of much oil discovered in southern Appalachia..... I live in East TN....right near the Homeplace of Country Music..."BRISTOL", and on my grandfather's land.... Oil WAS DISCOVERED!!!......and we are considered ...southern Appalachia! :crazy:

Earl Scruggs & Lester Flatt have played here MANY MANY TIMES!!! along with many other GREATS!!!! I am also right near "Carter's Fold"....the home of MaeBelle Carter & the Carter Family in Hiltons VA.

This probably just adds more of twist........but oh well......hee hee..... oil well!!! :crazy:

:seeya:

JaneTVFan
08-17-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Bedsheets2
FYI Texas T...means OIL

You mean Texas TEA means oil.

JaneTVFan
08-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by the5car
As any WV resident can tell you, Mountaineers
are from West Virgina....after all, our state
motto is "Montani Semper Liberi", which
translates to "Mountaineers are always free"...

Uh, hello? Mountaineers are people who are from the mountains. West Virginia is NOT the only state in this huge country that has mountains! The Beverly Hillbillies were NOT from West Virginia. And they were not from the North Carolina/Tennessee Smokie Mountains. I thought it was common knowledge that they were from the Ozarks, which straddle Missouri and Arkansas. Besides, having spent ample time in West Virginia, North Carolina, and eastern Tennessee, I can tell you there ain't no oil in them thar hills. Or at least there's very little of it, not enough to make someone a multimillionnaire. The only eastern states I'm aware of that have oil are Pennsylvania and New York, but even those states don't have very much of it.

tdr
08-17-2002, 11:43 PM
I guess an ep on TVLand yesterday (8/16) makes it all official that they are from the Ozarks. Granny had her wheelbarrow loaded and was going to walk all the way "home" by herself because no one else would go. And Jethro says it "purt near 16 hunerd or 17 hunerd miles." That clinches it! I checked Alta Vista maps, and from Beverly Hills, CA, to Branson, Mo (Silver Dollar City), it is 1669.41 miles. It's much further than that to the hills of Tennessee, even though that is supposed to be where Granny is originally from (even though she mentions having known Pearl since she was a young'un).

W.J. Griffin
09-20-2002, 12:10 PM
You know, I belive Paul Henning kept the exact location of the Clampett's origin nebulous so all Souther peoples...Appalaichians, Ozarks Mountaineers, etc...could identify with our heroes. (Though, truthfully, I always assumed they were from Tennesee myself.)

cazong
09-29-2002, 08:32 AM
I live in WV and can tell you that there is a huge oil industry in this state which has made many people a lot of money.

treky
10-01-2002, 03:04 AM
I remember reading a TV Guide description of the pilot episode once, and it said something like "mountain man Jed Clampett strikes oil, and moves his family from the Ozarks to california". I know that Granny was from Tennesee, if that's any help. And the house where they filmed the black and white episodes, was torn down a while ago. (BOO-HOO!) I was fortunate though, to get a couple picures of it when it was still standing.

jerry allen
10-09-2002, 07:54 AM
The Clampettes are from the Ozarks and that's typically identified with Missouri. i guess Jed could've been a drifter in his youth and virtually lived all over the south with Ellie May before letting Granny, Pearl, and Jethro move in with him!? when country music, a format that i love, had some mainstream acceptance in the early '60s Paul Henning obviously wanted the show to incorporate the increasingly popular Flatt and Scruggs and Roy Clark and therefore the origins of the family start to get blurry but i'll say it's the Ozarks...now, can anyone tell me where close-by Hooterville is suppose to be? "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction", and "Green Acres" casts were constantly flip- flopping on each other's series so much. so we're to assume Hooterville is a suburb of Silver Dollar City?

Eustus Haney
10-31-2002, 10:51 AM
Granny was a native of Tennessee and her references to that on the show would prove that Bugtustle was NOT in Tennessee. Obviously she had moved from Tennessee to Bugtustle.

There can be no doubt that Bugtustle was Branson, Missouri or the nearby area.

As far as Hooterville, see the post "Where was Hooterville" in the Green Acres forum.

The Hillbilles truck is in the museum (or was a few years ago) in the College of the Ozarks just outside of Branson, Missouri.

Eustus Haney
11-06-2002, 07:33 AM
A couple of night ago the episode aired on TV Land where Jed Clampett meets the oil shiek from the middle east and he tries to give him the "wives" and Jethro trades Elly Mae for the girls ... and so forth.

During that episode, before a TV appearance, they are standing in front of a world map with a line between the Clampett oil empire and the shiek's oil.

I was not looking so much at the right side of the line which appeared at a quick glance to be in Iraq but the other end of the line was clearly in Southern Missouri.

A post above refers to Eureka Springs, which is in Northwest Arkansas just a few miles from the Missouri line. "Down to Eureka Springs" makes perfect sense if Bugtustle is (or near) Branson, Missouri. It's a short drive between the two points.

Another recent episode kept referring to a "flour mill in Springfield." While many states have a Springfield .... Springfield, Missouri is certainly the largest city in the Ozarks and is just 30 to 40 miles North of the Branson, Missouri area.

And of course, Silver Dollar City, which was frequently referenced is in Branson, Missouri.

:cool:

Eustus Haney
12-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Tonight on TV Land ... the Clampett's are in New York City.

Walking along they comment that New York is bigger than Springfield - even bigger than Joplin. Joplin is, of course, in the Missouri Ozarks.

Later, a police officer is talking to Granny and asks if Jed is from the "old country." She says he is, "Taney County." Get out your Missouri maps and look look up Branson ... it's in Taney County.

A couple of days ago, they are back home and Jed is discussing going fishing and they talk of Table Rock Lake. Take a look at that Missouri map again.

Also, in the same episode, they talk of Harold Ensley, a famous Missouri fisherman who used to have a fishing television program that aired throughout the midwest in the 60's and 70's.

Eustus Haney
12-12-2002, 05:57 AM
A correction on my earlier assertion that Branson, Missouri and Bugtustle are one and the same - at least according to last night's episode on TV Land.

The mayor of Silver Dollar City (which is actually in Branson, Missouri) was visiting the Clampett's in Beverly Hills.

In regards to something they were talking about he used the words "from Branson to Bugtustle" - indicating that Bugtustle was near Branson.

Sir Rhosis
06-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Although I have always accepted, as is proven by dialogue in the show, that they were from the Ozarks (probably Missouri), on an episode of "Petticoat Junction," (or maybe the movie) the ZIP code was given as something like 417??1/2. 417 is a Kentucky prefix; my own ZIP growing up in southern KY was 41749.

I'm sure the ZIP was pulled out of the air, or maybe the writer was familiar with KY.

I'll pop over to the "Where is Hooterville" thread and see if this is mentioned.

Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis
06-01-2003, 06:58 PM
^^^I meant to say the ZIP was on an ep of "Green Acres," or the reunion movie, not PJ.

Sir Rhosis

treky
06-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Sir Rhosis
Although I have always accepted, as is proven by dialogue in the show, that they were from the Ozarks (probably Missouri), on an episode of "Petticoat Junction," (or maybe the movie) the ZIP code was given as something like 417??1/2. 417 is a Kentucky prefix; my own ZIP growing up in southern KY was 41749.

I'm sure the ZIP was pulled out of the air, or maybe the writer was familiar with KY.

I'll pop over to the "Where is Hooterville" thread and see if this is mentioned.

Sir Rhosis Paul Henning based "Petticoat Junction" on when his wife was growing up in Missouri.

Bianca
10-20-2003, 10:17 PM
In the B H Movie, they said that they were from "Arkansaw" .
Are thery really from there??

tdr
10-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Maybe they are supposed to have been so close to the Arkansas/Missouri border that they don't even know. Authorities in Arkansas think they are in Missouri, and authorities in Missouri think they live in Arkansas. Maybe with his swamp, Jed's residence even varied. So they were overlooked by government authorities, which kept them living their own way, with no apparent knowledge of income tax, welfare, etc. But I suppose that can't be, because the OK Oil Company was able to positively identify the property Jed leased to them.

Bianca
10-24-2003, 04:04 AM
that's interesting. on this DVD i have. it says something about OZARK.... where's that? would they have came from there?

tdr
10-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Well, using www.mapquest.com, there IS an Ozark, Arkansas, and an Ozark, Missouri. The one in Missouri is closer to the border, about 28 miles north of Branson.

kumakara
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
The Beverly Hillbillies were from Notch, Missouri just a mile or so west from Silver Dollar City at Branson, Missouri.

Granny was from Bugtussle but was living with Jed and the family when the story line began.

There is a mountain and overlook named for Paul Hemming on Highway 76 just east of Silver Dollar City in part of the Ozark Mountain range. There were a couple of episodes filmed at Silver Dollar City and I think Notch is mentioned in one of them.