PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Bernard in Hallmark movie

blackbeard
12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Our favorite lunch counter lady stars with Steve Guttenberg, Thomas Calabro, and Armin Shimerman in a movie titled Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus. It premiers on the Hallmark Channel Dec 11 at 9 pm eastern time. It is also shown on Dec 16, 19 and 25

Stressed-out single mom Beth Marshall has little time for a relationship. But her son would like nothing more than a complete family - and writes a letter to Santa telling him so.

In no time, an enchanting man named Nick appears in their lives. Although he seems like an average Joe, he's actually Santa's son. But before he can take over the family business, he has to find the perfect Mrs. Claus. This charming Kris Kringle can melt the frostiest of people with his warmth. But he just might need a miracle to melt Beth's heart.

phoebe7165
12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Blackbeard!! I'll definitely be setting my VCR.

AngeFaitore
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Crystal, Guttenberg AND Quark.
*CHA-CHING* I think we've hit the jackpot! :lol:
Actually, I've been waiting for this movie for a while now. I used to be a huge Steve Guttenberg fan when I was in middle school and I still like to watch his stuff.

pilotguy
12-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Crystal Bernard as Santa's wife...now THAT sounds like it has possibilities!

Couldn't you just see it now? The elves are hard at working making toys and other gifts...and in walks Crystal as Mrs. Claus, carrying a big tray of homemade cookies and a pitcher of cold milk...and saying (in her best "Helen Chappel" drawl), "You boys have been workin' SO hard that I thought that I'd bring you some milk and cookies! Now don't mind ME, just keep goin' on with your work!"

Ah, those lucky elves!:grineyes:

Chocoholic
12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
That sounds good, but unfortunately for me, my cable company doesn't have Hallmark. :( I hear they're supposed to add it soon though. :D Unfortunately, we're losing WE :(

pilotguy
12-12-2004, 01:56 AM
I watched the Hallmark movie tonight. It was OK...not GREAT, but OK in a pleasant sort of way. It had kind of a "Disney TV Movie" quality about it.

While Steve Guttenberg's "Ho Ho Ho" laugh was getting on my nerves after awhile, it was so nice to see Crystal for a long stretch....starring in a two-hour movie instead of those quickie sitcom guest appearances that she's been doing lately.

I'm happy to say that our Crystal was in top form....that same special combination of warmth and feistiness. Like watching new TV shows and movies with Tim Daly, Steven Weber, Tony Shalhoub, Thomas Haden Church, Amy Yasbeck and other "Wings" cast members, this Hallmark movie was a nice visit with an "old friend".

kellynch
12-12-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd forgotten to set my DVR to record it last night but, since it was replayed all night long, I was able to record one of those repeats.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't too painful. I'm heading out for brunch momentarily, so I hope to watch it after the Jets game ends at 7.

AngeFaitore
12-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by pilotguy
I watched the Hallmark movie tonight. It was OK...not GREAT, but OK in a pleasant sort of way. It had kind of a "Disney TV Movie" quality about it.

While Steve Guttenberg's "Ho Ho Ho" laugh was getting on my nerves after awhile, it was so nice to see Crystal for a long stretch....starring in a two-hour movie instead of those quickie sitcom guest appearances that she's been doing lately.

I also noticed that like many of Hallmark's movies, it had a slight Christian angle to it.
Example: The video game that was like Sim City meets Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was a "Will someone think of the children!?!" moment.

Steve Guttenberg just doesn't strike me as a Santa Claus. I enjoyed Kelsey Grammer's take on Santa's son in the movie Mr. St. Nick better.
Seeing Guttenberg with Crystal made me really wish that Thomas Haden Church was also in the movie, because I've always wanted to see Guttenberg and Thomas do a movie together.
Steve Guttenberg was -thisclose- to being with Thomas in a movie!

pilotguy
12-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by AngeFaitore
I also noticed that like many of Hallmark's movies, it had a slight Christian angle to it.
Example: The video game that was like Sim City meets Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was a "Will someone think of the children!?!" moment.

Steve Guttenberg just doesn't strike me as a Santa Claus. I enjoyed Kelsey Grammer's take on Santa's son in the movie Mr. St. Nick better.
Seeing Guttenberg with Crystal made me really wish that Thomas Haden Church was also in the movie, because I've always wanted to see Guttenberg and Thomas do a movie together.
Steve Guttenberg was -thisclose- to being with Thomas in a movie!

Oh Ange, you'd like to see Thomas Haden Church and ANYBODY do a movie together! ;)

This is going to sound crazy, but I think that Steven Weber would have been PERFECT as the "new" Santa Claus. He has that "big kid" quality about him, but he could also take the job seriously enough where the children would get their presents.

Of course, having Steven and Crystal together as a romantic couple (even as other characters) would freak out a lot of "Wings" fans, so it wouldn't happen.....but again, Steven would make a GREAT "new" Santa!

spunkygirl
12-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Ooh sounds good, I'll have to catch a repeat of it. Thanks :D

kellynch
12-12-2004, 02:08 PM
I think it'll be on again later in the week.

kellynch
12-13-2004, 09:17 AM
I double-checked, and it looks as if the movie will be repeated on Thursday night at 9 Eastern.

I did get to watch it yesterday, and thought Crystal didn't look so good. Her hair occasionally looked stringy and unwashed and the cut just isn't flattering for a woman in her 40s.

Steve Guttenberg isn't aging well either, I have to say.

*sigh*

AngeFaitore
12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by kellynch

I did get to watch it yesterday, and thought Crystal didn't look so good. Her hair occasionally looked stringy and unwashed and the cut just isn't flattering for a woman in her 40s.

*sigh*

Crystal actually looks in better shape than Steve!
I used to have a HUGE crush on Steve Guttenberg and I watched the movie Short Circuit at least four times a week (This was from the time I was in 4th grade until late middle school).
It's too bad that his looks are deteriorating because he used to be so CUTE!

pilotguy
12-13-2004, 11:47 AM
I double-checked, and it looks as if the movie will be repeated on Thursday night at 9 Eastern.

*sigh*

Hey, give Crystal a break....time marches on! I think some of us watch these new appearances by "Wings" members and expect them to look just like they did on "Wings". That show was about ten years ago. Steven Weber looks quite a bit older now than he did when he played Brian Hackett....that's because he IS older!

I think what may have made Crystal look "not so good" to you was that she wore her hair in the style and color of Helen Chappel, which only reinforced the changes in her face. If she had appeared with brown hair, or wore her blonde hair in a shorter style (like she did a few years ago), she probably wouldn't have looked so much like an older version of Helen.

Plus her character was a single mother who was trying to juggle raising a son and a VERY demanding career with long, ridiculous hours....so maybe it was realistic if she looked a bit tired!

Personally, ANY time that I see Crystal Bernard, it's a treat for my eyes!

kellynch
12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm 10 years older too (same age as Steven Weber), but I do try to age gracefully. I don't wear mini skirts anymore, I try to keep my hair cut in a way that doesn't make me look as if I'm 25, and I don't wear flashy makeup. I'm not a frump, but I'm also not a kid, and frankly, I think that middle-aged women who try to look their daughters' age look pathetic. There are far too many 40-something-trying-to-look-like-20-something women out there, and I really don't think it's a good look.

I fully expected Crystal to look older. I just didn't expect her to look as if she were still trying to look like Helen Chappell Scarpacci Hackett. And, in my opinion, that's exactly what she is doing.

PS -- this does not excuse the stringy hair.

AngeFaitore
12-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I think that out of all the Wings alums, Crystal, Tony and Thomas still look almost the same as they did back in their Wings days.
The only thing I noticed about Crystal is that she has put on a little weight and that, of course, Thomas has the rugged sun-beaten face from working on his Texas ranch.

pilotguy
12-13-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm 10 years older too (same age as Steven Weber), but I do try to age gracefully. I don't wear mini skirts anymore, I try to keep my hair cut in a way that doesn't make me look as if I'm 25, and I don't wear flashy makeup. I'm not a frump, but I'm also not a kid, and frankly, I think that middle-aged women who try to look their daughters' age look pathetic. There are far too many 40-something-trying-to-look-like-20-something women out there, and I really don't think it's a good look.

I fully expected Crystal to look older. I just didn't expect her to look as if she were still trying to look like Helen Chappell Scarpacci Hackett. And, in my opinion, that's exactly what she is doing.

I do see your point, kellynch. Frankly, I was rather surprised that Crystal had the "Helen" look in this TV movie, as she had gotten away from that over the past few years (shorter hair, etc.).

Of course, what you're saying about "age-appropriate looks" also holds true for men....Some of these 50+ year old rock stars (actually, more like 60+ years old) look absolutely RIDICULOUS with their long hair and tight spandex pants!

Why can't everyone age as gracefully as Cher? :eek:

txplates
12-13-2004, 04:45 PM
I thought Crystal looked excellent, her hair and wardrobe both looked great to me. Most of the movies I have seen Crystal play in, she had the same hair style, and the photos on her website also have the same hairstyle.

I liked the movie, the only part that bugged me was Steve's fake HoHoHo laughs.

pilotguy
12-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by txplates
I liked the movie, the only part that bugged me was Steve's fake HoHoHo laughs.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, that "Ho Ho Ho" laugh of Steve's drove me NUTS! Imagine if they had cast Rebecca Schull as his mom (Mrs. Claus).....after about the fifth "Ho Ho Ho",
Rebecca would look at Steve, smile and sweetly say, "Please stop doing that!".