[This message has been edited by Snuffy62266 (edited 09-01-2000).]

Snuffy62266
09-01-2000, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Snuffy62266:
What is J.D. Clampetts middle name?

[This message has been edited by Snuffy62266 (edited 09-01-2000).]

Perderabo
09-20-2000, 09:37 AM
Some things are so very cosmic in nature that they are unknowable by mortal man. Apparently, Jed's middle name falls into this category.

I have searched rather extensively for this piece of knowledge. The best I was able to do was confirm that his middle initial is D.

But I'm not going to let the fact that I don't know stop me from answering this question!

Jed has a dog named Duke. I hereby assert that he gave his dog his middle name. So his middle name is Duke!

And to any sitcom writers out there: Don't let stuff like this happen. If a character has a middle initial, figure out what it stands for and mention it in at least one episode. You're professional writers...you shouldn't need me to pick up your slack.

johnpowelljr
11-12-2000, 12:38 AM
Jed Clampett's middle name was never stated....just as Granny's husband's name
never was....he was just J.D. Clampett....

Bianca
10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
In the Movie from 93. They say his name is "Jed Dediah"

W.J. Griffin
10-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Bianca

No, sweetie...it's "Jedidiah"...it's one name...

Now, as to Mr. Clampett's middle initial, it's just a case of simple deduction:

From the clues we have ascertained from watching "The Beverly Hillbillies" we can surmise that J.D. Clampett is a very religious man. We can further surmise that Jed's parents were likewise of a God-Fearing sort. (Not necessarilly a bad thing in this day-and-age.) Finally, we can ascertain from Jed's personality that he (or, to be more precise, his parents) would be inspired by a paricular Biblical name...one that showed great bravery in the face of adversity...one that could possibly topple giants...one that was King.

Therefore, I submit to this entire site, using all the evidence at hand, that Jed Clampett's middle initial is...

David. Jedidiah David Clampett.

Do you agree?

Bianca
10-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that sounds right :)

W.J. Griffin
10-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Bianca, I hope I didn't offend you with that "sweetie" remark...I really didn't mean to sound all condescending...that's just the way I actually talk at times...

My apologies.

Bianca
10-26-2003, 10:53 PM
No that's all cool. I didn't at all get offended. :) You didn't have to appologise. :wave:

tdr
10-27-2003, 12:34 AM
There are very few biblical names that begin with D, and only 3 of significant masculine personages:

Dan-- "he judged"
Daniel-- "God is my judge"
David-- possibly derived from dod, "beloved"

Any of these would fit J. D. Clampett.

And on this subject, there are 2 significant names from which 'Jed' may be a dimunitive:

Jedidah-- another term from "beloved"
Jedidiah-- "beloved of YAHWEH"

W.J. Griffin
10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
You know, I didn't even consider "Dan" or "Daniel" at all. "Jedidiah Daniel Clampett"...flows just as well as "Jedidiah David Clampett", I suppose...(then again, it could be "Jedidiah Donald Clampett"...what do you folks think?)

Bianca
10-31-2003, 01:46 AM
It could really be any name starting with "D"
like:

Doug
Darren
Damien
Domonic
:wave:

expfcwintergreen
01-21-2007, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=Snuffy62266]What is J.D. Clampetts middle name?

I read somewhere else that it was Jefferson Davis Clampett (not sure anymore of the source)

treky
01-22-2007, 02:54 AM
I don't think they ever mentioned his middle name, and Grannys husbands name.
I know they mentioned what his wifes name was; once in an early episode. Can anyone tell me? I'll check back later and see who knows it.

treky
01-22-2007, 02:56 AM
yea, well, I just ignore that HORRIBLE movie and pretend it never existed!

cattano
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
In an early episode Granny mentions Jed's wife's name and I'm almost sure it was Rosellen.

treky
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
wrong; because I have that episode on DVD and his wifes name was Rose-Ellen, not Rosylen