PDA

View Full Version : Man Sues "Joey"

TJL
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
A local man is suing the National Broadcasting Company, claiming they stole the idea for “Joey” from him.

Carl Reigert of Manalapan, NJ, says he came up with the idea for the new “Friends” spinoff two years ago while watching TV at a local bar.

“Me and some guys were at the Old Silver Tavern getting drunk, and a rerun of Friends was on. I told my friend Steve that it would be cool if Joey got his own spinoff one day.”

As the night wore on, Reigert asserts he also came up with the plot of the series. “Later I told my buddy Dave that they should have Joey move out to California, to work on his career. I thought it would be really funny seeing Joey try to deal with those crazy Hollywood folks.”

When he learned that NBC decided to give the beloved “Friends” character his own spin-off, Carl was furious. “It’s like those NBC dorks were right there at the bar taking notes behind my back. Luckily my friends will back me up with the lawsuit.”

Carl’s drinking buddy Steve can vaguely support Reigert’s claim.

“Look, Carl likes to talk a lot about TV shows, especially when he drinks. He’s always going off about ideas for new shows, or new episodes for current shows. Maybe he did come up with the idea, I really don’t know, usually I just tune him out."

“Sometimes that whole TV guy thing is annoying,” Carls other friend Dave offered. “One time we were hitting on these two girls, and all he talked to the blonde one about was some episode of “That 70’s Show” he just thought up. They took off real quick.”

If his lawsuit falls through, Reigert has made other plans.

“I also have a lawsuit against the Producers of “C.S.I” for stealing my idea for “C.S.I. New York. That was totally my idea.
Just ask the busboy at the Outback!”

;)

slackermonkey
10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Is this for real? Even if this guy did come up with the idea first, he doesn't own the Joey character, and therefore couldn't have done anything about it in the first place.

Besides, it's kind of an obvious next step for Joey anyway - he's an actor, move him to Hollywood. I could have thought of that myself.

dlemond
10-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Hmm.

Drinking at a bar.

Talking about TV shows.

A That '70s Show script idea?

This Carl guy sounds familiar.

;)

Brian Damage
10-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by slackermonkey
Is this for real? Even if this guy did come up with the idea first, he doesn't own the Joey character, and therefore couldn't have done anything about it in the first place.

Besides, it's kind of an obvious next step for Joey anyway - he's an actor, move him to Hollywood. I could have thought of that myself.

I guess I could sue too, because I thought of the exact same idea about a year ago. :rolleyes:

barwars
10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
hahahahaha

TJL delivers as usual.

TJL
10-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by dlemond
Hmm.

Drinking at a bar.

Talking about TV shows.

A That '70s Show script idea?

This Carl guy sounds familiar.

;)

I have no idea who you're talking about.

And I did come up with the idea for Joey. Ask my roommate.

;)

snl75
10-08-2004, 01:09 AM
yep and im the one who came up with that 70s show because i knew some people like that in the 70s ha ha

dandelion wine
10-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TJL
“I also have a lawsuit against the Producers of “C.S.I” for stealing my idea for “C.S.I. New York. That was totally my idea.
Just ask the busboy at the Outback!”

;)

Sure thing. :lol: