PDA

View Full Version : 70s & 80s Hit "AFTER SCHOOL SPECIALS" available on DVD for the first time October 12,

TJ
10-04-2004, 09:53 PM
“AFTER SCHOOL SPECIALS” available on DVD for the First Time October 12, 2004

Included in the series are 26 episodes from the 70s & 80s, produced by Emmy award-winning producer Martin Tahse

(September 18, 2004 – Los Angeles) – Noted as one of the most popular television series of the 70s and 80s, the “After School Specials” produced by Martin Tahse, which originally aired on ABC, will be available for the first time ever on DVD October 12. A hit during its run in the opulent disco era, the “After School Specials” became a favorite of parents and youth alike tackling issues that still affect today’s family such as substance abuse, eating disorders, teen pregnancy and sexual behavior, racism, divorce and child abuse, just to name some.

This classic series also features some of the hottest teen heartthrobs of the era including Rob Lowe (West Wing), Christopher Knight (The Brady Bunch), Malcolm Jamal-Warner (The Cosby Show), Kristy McNichol (Family), Melissa Sue Anderson (Little House on the Prairie) and Dana Plato (Different Strokes).

Just weeks after students return to school, the retro series, considered both entertaining and educational, is back and destined to rekindle some of those old memories through its timeless storylines, as well as reach a new generation of viewers intrigued by the nostalgia and craze now associated with properties from the 70s. The DVD will be available in a six-part series. Each two-disc set will feature four classic episodes handsomely packaged in a redesigned “trapper keeper” reminiscent of the popular 70s notebook that students carried to school with images of their favorite TV heartthrobs.

The “After School Specials” originally aired on ABC from 1972 – 1988. Each of the episodes included in the DVD series were produced by Martin Tahse. Tahse produced 26 “After School Specials” for ABC and won 18 Emmys, three American Film Festival awards, three San Francisco International Film Festival awards, a Peabody Award, and two Chicago Film Festival awards, to name some.

“The After School Special” was a success because we dealt with issues that were affecting the youth of the time... stories that are still current. We didn’t talk down to young people or present classic Hollywood endings,” said Tahse. “We presented real stories, with real outcomes. At a time when several of the topics were considered taboo to discuss, we stepped out and dealt with them head on. Even today I’m approached by adults, who watched the series when they were younger, who say the stories helped them to face some major challenges during their adolescent and teen years.”

BCI Eclipse (A Navarre Company) is a leading independent entertainment video and audio supplier. Since 1988, BCI has continually redefined the standards and concepts of this industry, often introducing national success categories through its intuitive mass marketing skills. Its vast collection of titles represent exclusively licensed titles from around the world, in-house produced CDs and DVDs from affiliated production groups who have created Billboard top-charting successes, as well as a steady flow of television programming seen throughout the world on Discovery, A & E, HBO and Fox, among many others. BCI offers a wide variety of the best value-priced CDs and DVDs being sold. BCI sells its entertainment products through virtually all retail outlets in North America carrying CDs and DVDs.

-TBB-
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Greg King
Ring Leader
The BIG Balloon Communications Inc.
323.730.0029 o
323.730.0049 fax
greg@theBIGballoon.com
Product available for review upon request.

ADDITIONAL FACTS

Title: After School Special
Release: October 12, 2004
Genre: Drama
Distribution: BCI/A Navarre Company
Property: Television
Network: ABC
First Aired: 1972
Last Aired: 1988
Packaging: 6 part series, 2 discs, 4 episodes per set (DVD)
Retail: Best Buy, Musicland, Suncoast, Amazon.com, DeepDiscountDVD.com, Urban Outfitters

The ABC After School Special was the hottest series around in the 70s and 80s targeting both youth and parents alike. Today the series has become a cult classic with retro tees and posters available in retail stores all across the country signaling the impact that this series had on American culture. Today, journalists and writers often make mention of or quote situations directly attributed to the After School Special in their editorial to convey messages that illustrate the climate and characteristics associated with the 70s and 80s.

Episodes Available October 12:

Part 1 Part 2
The 18th Emergency Francesca, Baby
Summer of the Swans Beat the Turtle Drum
The Skating Rink The Pinballs
Dear Lovey Hart: I Am Desperate Trouble River

What the critics were saying about the show in the 70s and 80s:

(The death of a sibling): The difficult subject of death and recovery is handled with honesty and sensitivity… It’s first rate in every way… Hollywood Reporter

(Rape): A stunning drama, real to the bone… Los Angeles Times

(Alcoholism of a parent): The subject is an important one, handled with skill and sensitivity that lifts it above the ordinary run of programming for young people. It scores its points effectively… New York Times

Francesca, Baby is another in the superb After School Specials series, and it is no exception. A frightening – and finally hopefully promising – story… Christian Science Monitor

(Overcoming a handicap): The story is told with fresh details and is thoroughly convincing and appealing… New York Times

(Bullies) A well written and well acted production… Seattle Times

General Quotes:
A gift to children… New York Times
Best Bet… Philadelphia Inquirer
Recommended viewing… The New York Times
Done with no suggestion of pandering or tackiness, it simply tells the facts as they occur… Variety

---------------------------------

Purchase from Amazon.com:

After School Specials - 1974-1976 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062IZAO/ref=nosim/happydaysonline3-20)

After School Specials - 1976-1977 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062IZAY/ref=nosim/happydaysonline3-20)

vashti1999
10-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I'll be getting these. I've been waiting for the ABC Afterschool Specials to be released on dvd. I'm really looking forward to when they release Volume #4: 1979 - '80 since that one will include an episode that I remember liking alot, "A Special Gift". I haven't seen it since back then so it'll be cool to see it these days.

D-Dey
10-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TJ
“AFTER SCHOOL SPECIALS” available on DVD for the First Time October 12, 2004

Included in the series are 26 episodes from the 70s & 80s, produced by Emmy award-winning producer Martin Tahse

(September 18, 2004 – Los Angeles) – Noted as one of the most popular television series of the 70s and 80s, the “After School Specials” produced by Martin Tahse, which originally aired on ABC, will be available for the first time ever on DVD October 12. A hit during its run in the opulent disco era, the “After School Specials” became a favorite of parents and youth alike tackling issues that still affect today’s family such as substance abuse, eating disorders, teen pregnancy and sexual behavior, racism, divorce and child abuse, just to name some.

This classic series also features some of the hottest teen heartthrobs of the era including Rob Lowe (West Wing), Christopher Knight (The Brady Bunch), Malcolm Jamal-Warner (The Cosby Show), Kristy McNichol (Family), Melissa Sue Anderson (Little House on the Prairie) and Dana Plato (Different Strokes).

Just weeks after students return to school, the retro series, considered both entertaining and educational, is back and destined to rekindle some of those old memories through its timeless storylines, as well as reach a new generation of viewers intrigued by the nostalgia and craze now associated with properties from the 70s. The DVD will be available in a six-part series. Each two-disc set will feature four classic episodes handsomely packaged in a redesigned “trapper keeper” reminiscent of the popular 70s notebook that students carried to school with images of their favorite TV heartthrobs.

The “After School Specials” originally aired on ABC from 1972 – 1988.

Actually, many of them ran well into the mid-to-late 1990's, with such titles as "A Question About Sex"(starring Tracey Gold), the three-part "Summer Stories: The Mall"(featuring a then unknown Jorja Fox within the ensemble cast) and 1996's "Too Soon for Jeff," which had Jessica Alba as the main character's pregnant girlfriend. I'm quite certain that the last of them ran in the 1996-1997 TV Season, when Oprah Winfrey took over the time slots and Disney rearranged ABC's entire Children's Programming format.

It's still good news either way...I guess.

vashti1999
10-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by D-Dey
1996's "Too Soon for Jeff," which had Jessica Alba as the main character's pregnant girlfriend.

I remember that one. That's the first time I ever saw Freddie Prinze Jr., he played Jeff.

D-Dey
10-06-2004, 10:45 AM
And last night, while searching through some old TV Guides, I found another one from 1996 called "Me and My Hormones," starring Courtney Peldon as a 13-year-old girl who gets her first period, and how she deals with it. So, you see they did exist beyond 1988.

:idea: :tv: :typing:

JoshB80
10-13-2004, 01:34 PM
I am interested in hearing feedback on this set once someone purchases it.

vashti1999
10-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by JoshB80
I am interested in hearing feedback on this set once someone purchases it.

I've got the first volume, 1974-76. I won't go into detail here because I write for another site and obligated to submit a review there first, but I will say the packaging is great, the menus are cool and the picture is decent. Not the crispest 2004 type dvd picture, but it's acceptable. Two episodes per disc, so there are four different specials in one volume (2 disc set). Plus they're cheap from what I've seen online, so I'd definitely recommend it.

PZelda
10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
How long are the specials? One hour each? What's the total running time combined?

vashti1999
10-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by PZelda
How long are the specials? One hour each? What's the total running time combined?

Approx. 46 minutes each, 90 minutes total per disc, no captions.

PZelda
10-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by vashti1999
Approx. 46 minutes each, 90 minutes total per disc, no captions.

DAMMIT! :cuss:

vze3t9q9
10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
I was a teen in the early 70's and I can't remember a single one of these. Night time tv I remember a bit better but daytime all a blur..

JoshB80
10-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by vashti1999
I've got the first volume, 1974-76. I won't go into detail here because I write for another site and obligated to submit a review there first, but I will say the packaging is great, the menus are cool and the picture is decent. Not the crispest 2004 type dvd picture, but it's acceptable. Two episodes per disc, so there are four different specials in one volume (2 disc set). Plus they're cheap from what I've seen online, so I'd definitely recommend it.
Once you get the review written, would you mind sharing it or at least telling me where it is located? Thank you!

BigGuy90
10-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Where is the best place to find them? I couldn't find them at my local Best Buy.

vashti1999
10-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BigGuy90
Where is the best place to find them? I couldn't find them at my local Best Buy.

They may be hard to find in stores, I went to a Target store on Friday just to see if they stocked it and they didn't, probably because it's not a high demand title. Your best bet would be online, like amazon.com or deepdiscountdvd.

TJ
10-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Read my review here of the 1974-76 set:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/afterschoolspecials19741976dvdreview.html