PDA

View Full Version : Ratings for week 2

Brian Damage
09-17-2004, 08:03 PM
In terms of the ratings, while still a success, it is clear that Joey is no Friends. After premiering with 18.6 million viewers last week, the spin-off faced off against the premiere of Survivor: Vanuatu, Islands of Fire and struggled in its second week. The final results show the episode, which aired from 8:00 to 8:35, with just 15.4 million viewers, a drop of 17 percent from the premiere and 0.2 million viewers below the least-watched Friends episode of all time, which aired in May 2001. Meanwhile, the "supersized" season premiere of Will & Grace, which aired from 8:35 to 9:20, improved on Joey's audience but still failed to impress.

Pitooey
09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I like the show!

TJL
09-17-2004, 09:52 PM
NBC shouldn't expect "Friends" ratings from "Joey." Sadly enough, "Joey" will always be compared to "Friends," which is unfair. The show is funny and should stand on its own merits.

In other words NBC; "Friends" is gone. Time to move on.

Maybe if you guys had been developing some decent sitcoms over the past few seasons, you wouldn't be pinning all your hopes on one spinoff series.

;)

TJL
09-18-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by barwars
PS.... gotta love the "new" avatar.

AKA made it for me. Isn't it great? Much nicer than the other version.

dandelion wine
09-18-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by TJL
NBC shouldn't expect "Friends" ratings from "Joey." Sadly enough, "Joey" will always be compared to "Friends," which is unfair. The show is funny and should stand on its own merits.

Maybe if you guys had been developing some decent sitcoms over the past few seasons, you wouldn't be pinning all your hopes on one spinoff series.

;)

:nod: Well said. :lol:

So far, I'm enjoying the show.

spunkygirl
09-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by TJL

;)

:yeahthat

barwars
09-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by TJL
AKA made it for me. Isn't it great? Much nicer than the other version.

It does look nicer. I figured it was from the DVD. Looks great.

Petrie Malone
09-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm probably gonna get stoned to death for saying this, but I'll take my chances.
I don't think Joey was the right character to have a spinoff, IMO Monica and Chandeler's characters would have been a much better. I think a Monica and Chandeler spinoff would have been like a modern I Love Lucy or Dick Van Dyke Show. Oh well, we'll just hafta see what happens wiht "Joey."

Pentimento
09-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by DickVanDykeMan
I'm probably gonna get stoned to death for saying this, but I'll take my chances.
I don't think Joey was the right character to have a spinoff, IMO Monica and Chandeler's characters would have been a much better. I think a Monica and Chandeler spinoff would have been like a modern I Love Lucy or Dick Van Dyke Show. Oh well, we'll just hafta see what happens wiht "Joey." And I thought I was the only one who thought that Monica and Chandler would have made a better spin-off. Joey was always good in small doses since he broke up the semi-serious themes taken on by the other characters. (Phoebe served a similar role until she got involved with all the drama of her half-brother's life.) But as a lead character, I'm afraid Joey will stagnate quickly.

I watched the first two weeks, but I don't know if I'll be back for the third. There's just nothing there that can't be found in countless other mediocre sitcoms.

spunkygirl
09-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DickVanDykeMan
I don't think Joey was the right character to have a spinoff, IMO Monica and Chandeler's characters would have been a much better. I think a Monica and Chandeler spinoff would have been like a modern I Love Lucy or Dick Van Dyke Show. Oh well, we'll just hafta see what happens wiht "Joey."

Kinda hard to do when the actors want to move on.

but IMO Joey is a great spinoff.

I can see what Jump the Shark would have said about a Chandler and Monica spinoff "they jumped the shark the minute the show aired, cause they're married and have kids" :rolleyes:

But I would have loved a Chandler and Monica spinoff as well ;)

barwars
09-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Angela Micelli
Kinda hard to do when the actors want to move on.

but IMO Joey is a great spinoff.

I can see what Jump the Shark would have said about a Chandler and Monica spinoff "they jumped the shark the minute the show aired, cause they're married and have kids" :rolleyes:

But I would have loved a Chandler and Monica spinoff as well ;)

I think a Chandler/Monica spinoff would've been great -- if it had come at a different time.
Maybe have their wedding be the finale, and then the spinoff be their married life.

Or -- don't have them get the babies until the Series Premiere of their spinoff.

spunkygirl
09-19-2004, 03:57 PM
I think a Chandler/Monica spinoff would've been great -- if it had come at a different time.
Maybe have their wedding be the finale, and then the spinoff be their married life.

Or -- don't have them get the babies until the Series Premiere of their spinoff.

Yeah that would have been great. I would have loved that, too bad Courteney and Matthew wanted to move on, but I can understand why they wanted too :)

barwars
09-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah that would have been great. I would have loved that, too bad Courteney and Matthew wanted to move on, but I can understand why they wanted too :)

Leaving a long running sitcom leads more towards "semi-retirement" than "a shift in career"
They may go on to more things, but none of them will achieve they status they have now. (Not even Matt LeBlanc)

spunkygirl
09-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Leaving a long running sitcom leads more towards "semi-retirement" than "a shift in career"
They may go on to more things, but none of them will achieve they status they have now. (Not even Matt LeBlanc)

So true, they'll be typecast as these characters probably for the rest of their careers. Even if they make the transisition successfully into movies or another hit series, they'll always be known as "Friends"

TJL
09-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Seeing Monica and Chandler coping with babies and suburbia would have been good spinoff material.

;)

barwars
09-19-2004, 04:05 PM
So true, they'll be typecast as these characters probably for the rest of their careers. Even if they make the transisition successfully into movies or another hit series, they'll always be known as "Friends"

That's why Kelsey Grammer (and hopefully Matt LeBlanc) was smart, he knew he'd be "Frasier" (or "Joey") for the rest of his life. Might as well make the best of it and cash in. And he did -- for 11 years.
Hopefully Matt does the same.

vashti1999
09-22-2004, 02:20 PM
I just watched the second episode (recorded it) and I like the show. And I was able to enjoy it despite Jennifer Lopez and Donald Trump taking up have the screen with those blasted Will & Grace and Apprentice promos.

Will and Grace Fanatic
09-24-2004, 06:26 PM
I think Joey is here to stay for at least six seasons. I doubt it will ever get Friends kind of ratings but the ratings are good enough to keep it on the air.