PDA

View Full Version : Did Ross and Rachel get married?

jon123
09-10-2004, 10:56 AM
This may belong on the Friends board, but will Joey mention if Ross and Rachel got married (over the summer)? He did mention that his friends got married and are having kids-we know for sure that Chandler, Monica, and Phoebe are married but it is unclear about Ross and Rachel.

It would be nice to mention at least if it has happened yet or maybe they are saving the wedding for a future reunion episode that Joey will go back to New York for.

And for those of you who hate Ross and Rachel together (myself not included), at least it is now offscreen and you will only have to see them if and when they guest star on Joey.

Brian Damage
09-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I think it would be best if they saved that for a future episode waaaay down the line.

Dean Winchester
09-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by jon123
This may belong on the Friends board, but will Joey mention if Ross and Rachel got married (over the summer)? He did mention that his friends got married and are having kids-we know for sure that Chandler, Monica, and Phoebe are married but it is unclear about Ross and Rachel.

It would be nice to mention at least if it has happened yet or maybe they are saving the wedding for a future reunion episode that Joey will go back to New York for.

And for those of you who hate Ross and Rachel together (myself not included), at least it is now offscreen and you will only have to see them if and when they guest star on Joey.

I think David Schwimmer guesting is likely, but I think Jennifer Aniston has moved beyond tv. She is the main reason the show ended when it did (10 years is a good run, but it could've run 11 or maybe 12 if not for her "I'm Mrs. Pitt, why am I still stuck on tv?") and I doubt she'll return for Joey

barwars
09-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Ive read that they have no plans to feature any other Friends this season.

I think 1 per season would be reasonable.
Similar to how Frasier did with Cheers appearances.

A Chandler appearance wouldn't make much sense unless Monica came along.... as for Ross -- I hope when he guest stars its because Rachel cheated on him or something.

Petrie Malone
09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by barwars
.... as for Ross -- I hope when he guest stars its because Rachel cheated on him or something.

:rotflmao: That would be f*cking hilarious!! I hope that happens!!

barwars
09-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DickVanDykeMan
:rotflmao: That would be f*cking hilarious!! I hope that happens!!

Now that I think about it.... I would really like that to happen. It would be a nice little twist, not to mention the fact that Ross and Rachel had no comedic chemistry.

jon123
09-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BuffySlayer79
I think David Schwimmer guesting is likely, but I think Jennifer Aniston has moved beyond tv. She is the main reason the show ended when it did (10 years is a good run, but it could've run 11 or maybe 12 if not for her "I'm Mrs. Pitt, why am I still stuck on tv?") and I doubt she'll return for Joey

Actually, Jennifer has said in interviews she would be open to a guest appearance on Joey. So I think a future wedding episode maybe next year would be great!

While we don't want Joey to be overrun with guest appearances from his "Friends", the fact is they were all so close for ten years, Joey was much closer to his friends than Frasier was to his pals at "Cheers" and that needs some consideration.

Joker85
09-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Now that I think about it.... I would really like that to happen. It would be a nice little twist, not to mention the fact that Ross and Rachel had no comedic chemistry.

I disagree about their chemistry. I think they had great chemistry together, though I admit I got tired of the on again off again relationship that they spread out over 10 years. But they finally got back together and it certainly made a lot of fans happy. I would hope they would have more sense than to split them up again offscreen. If one is on Joey without the other, they should just mention the other had to work or something. They could easily have Chandler come and visit, saying he needed a breather from the kids, if Courtney Cox wasn't up for an appearance. For some reason, she's the one that I see not wanting to return to that role. I don't know why. I also don't see Lisa Kudrow wanting to go back to Phoebe any time soon. I do expect to see Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer, and Jennifer Anniston all show up on Joey. Not this season certainly, but maybe starting with season two. The only "Friend" that I think they could get away with showing this season is Janice. Think about it, she was EVERYWHERE the gang went. They could easily put her in LA on vacation or something. Just imagine the look on Joey's face. She's one I'd be awfully disappointed if the writers didn't bring back just one more time.

Little
09-11-2004, 05:14 PM

That would be great. I agree with you, Ross and Rachel have no chemistry, they should do that. I mean it's not like they are one of the greatest tv romances of all times like David and Maddie or Sam and Diane. But judging by the finale on how Ross tried to stopped Rachel from her job there proably on another break anyway...

barwars
09-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I'd be very surprised if David Schwimmer doesn't guest star.
He has already directed an episode. (the 6th, I believe.... maybe more)

db108108
09-12-2004, 11:58 PM
You've got to also consider the careers of some of the Friends. I would expect David to guest this season, and I would no be at all surprised if Matthew Perry follows closely behind. Yes, they're both insanely rich, but there's just something about going from being that famous to not known at all, like Perry. Applying that kind of logic, I could see all of them guesting, save Anniston. I guess time will tell.

Friendsfan#333
10-04-2004, 07:39 PM
I think Ross and Rachel should get married on the show. It was a disapiontment that they weren't married on the show but they still should get married. I think they should have a reunion a few seasons from now where they get married.

ChambersVsMalone
10-12-2004, 02:31 AM
as for Ross -- I hope when he guest stars its because Rachel cheated on him or something.

LMAO. I liked you before. I love you now. ;)

Chambers
10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
It really is a risky yet brilliant idea. Making Ross and Rachel break up would drive away a whole lot of Friends fans, but since most of them aren't watching the show anyway, who cares. It might actually bring in MORE fans - all those people who thought Ross and Rachel were the weakest part of Friends. That would be a great reactionary statement. :thumbsup:

spunkygirl
10-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Chambers
It really is a risky yet brilliant idea. Making Ross and Rachel break up would drive away a whole lot of Friends fans, but since most of them aren't watching the show anyway, who cares. It might actually bring in MORE fans - all those people who thought Ross and Rachel were the weakest part of Friends. That would be a great reactionary statement. :thumbsup:

Sorry I disagree, I don't think they should mess with anything that happened on Friends(I mean character and storyline wise).

I think it would be death for Joey if they did do that.

barwars
10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I think the future of the Friends characters in complete control of the Joey writers.... whatever they want should go.

Personally. breaking up Ross and Rachel would be a hysterical twist. I actually can't think of a funnier reason as to why a "Friend" would guest star.

But, then again, if they do break up, they'll most likely bring the entire storyline into Joey, leading up to a big episode where they eventually get back together. (if that were to happen, Id go insane, they just dont belong together)

....but the whole point of this post was I agree with Chambers.... those watched Friends for the ensemble, will continue watching Joey. Those who watched Friends for the moronic Ross/Rachel storyline.... are long gone.

spunkygirl
10-12-2004, 06:50 PM
I think the future of the Friends characters in complete control of the Joey writers.... whatever they want should go.

Personally. breaking up Ross and Rachel would be a hysterical twist. I actually can't think of a funnier reason as to why a "Friend" would guest star.

But, then again, if they do break up, they'll most likely bring the entire storyline into Joey, leading up to a big episode where they eventually get back together. (if that were to happen, Id go insane, they just dont belong together)

....but the whole point of this post was I agree with Chambers.... those watched Friends for the ensemble, will continue watching Joey. Those who watched Friends for the moronic Ross/Rachel storyline.... are long gone.

Sorry I still disagree, it will be the kiss of death for "Joey" if they do this. Ross and Rachel have a huge fanbase who waited for them to reunite and they finally did and to break them up on a show they're not part of will backfire big time

I doubt alot of Cheers fans would have liked it if they had done that on Frasier, there's some liberties you can take(changing Frasiers backstory) but other than that it's IMO a disaster.

slackermonkey
10-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I agree with Angela.

Even though barwars is right in saying Ross & Rachel had no comedic chemistry (they just weren't funny together), they still belonged together. It's the way it had to be.

"Joey" would alienate so many viewers if they pulled that stunt, but I doubt they'll do it. "Cheers"/"Frasier" was different because it wasn't trying to give happy endings, it was trying to give more realistic, slice-of-life kind of endings. "Friends" wants the fairy tale endings, and I seriously don't think they'd have Ross end up being miserable AGAIN.

Since all the executive producers and almost every writer worked on "Friends," and they all care pretty strongly about these characters, I think they'd keep them together, even if they make separate appearances. Also, considering Matt LeBlanc's always had a stake in how his character is handled on "Friends" and "Joey" (his production company is also involved in "Joey"), and he's always been a strong supporter of Ross & Rachel, he'd probably insist on keeping them intact. I doubt David Schwimmer or Jennifer Aniston would come back if Ross & Rachel weren't going to stay together, either.

spunkygirl
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by slackermonkey
I agree with Angela.

Even though barwars is right in saying Ross & Rachel had no comedic chemistry (they just weren't funny together), they still belonged together. It's the way it had to be.

"Joey" would alienate so many viewers if they pulled that stunt, but I doubt they'll do it. "Cheers"/"Frasier" was different because it wasn't trying to give happy endings, it was trying to give more realistic, slice-of-life kind of endings. "Friends" wants the fairy tale endings, and I seriously don't think they'd have Ross end up being miserable AGAIN.

Since all the executive producers and almost every writer worked on "Friends," and they all care pretty strongly about these characters, I think they'd keep them together, even if they make separate appearances. Also, considering Matt LeBlanc's always had a stake in how his character is handled on "Friends" and "Joey" (his production company is also involved in "Joey"), and he's always been a strong supporter of Ross & Rachel, he'd probably insist on keeping them intact. I doubt David Schwimmer or Jennifer Aniston would come back if Ross & Rachel weren't going to stay together, either.

:yeahthat :)

Chambers
10-12-2004, 07:58 PM

"Cheers"/"Frasier" was different because it wasn't trying to give happy endings, it was trying to give more realistic, slice-of-life kind of endings. "Friends" wants the fairy tale endings, and I seriously don't think they'd have Ross end up being miserable AGAIN.

That's very true.

BTW...I wasn't being very serious when I made that post. It would be suicide for Joey in terms of ratings, but it would give it a boost in quality in my opinion. That's why I called it a "risky yet brilliant" idea. Seriously, though, if ratings didn't matter, I'd so make Ross and Rachel break up for good on Joey.

slackermonkey
10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Why though?

barwars
10-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Why though?

I can't speak for Chambers.... but Ross and Rachel weren't funny together, and it the world of sitcoms -- being funny is what matters.

With Frasier/Cheers there really was nothing they could do to upset any fans.
Unless of course Frasier ended up with Diane.

I think Ross could be happy without Rachel.
Just like Sam was happy without Diane (no wait.... they were funny together)

barwars
10-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Angela Micelli
Sorry I still disagree, it will be the kiss of death for "Joey" if they do this. Ross and Rachel have a huge fanbase who waited for them to reunite and they finally did and to break them up on a show they're not part of will backfire big time

That's what I dont understand though.
Those who watched Friends for Ross & Rachel, aren't watching Joey, so why not screw them over??

Chambers
10-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Why though?

What barwars said.

I thought the Rachel and Ross thing hurt the comedy. It was just...stupid.

barwars
10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Chambers
What barwars said.

I thought the Rachel and Ross thing hurt the comedy. It was just...stupid.

The only moment from the their whole romance that had any signicant value, was Ross saying Rachel's name at the altar.
Other than that, they sucked together.

Joker85
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
That's what I dont understand though.
Those who watched Friends for Ross & Rachel, aren't watching Joey, so why not screw them over??
I don't think that's true at all. Sure, I got tired of seing their on again/off again romance, but I still consider myself a fan of the Ross/Rachel relationship. Were they a Sam and Diane? No and they were never meant to be. Sam and Diane had such an extreme love/hate relationship and that was great for their show. It worked. But Ross and Rachel weren't about that. There relationship was different. Was one couple funnier than the other? That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I agree that Sam and Diane were probably funnier, but they too got old after a while. What I'm saying is that a lot of people, myself included were fans of Ross/Rachel and were happy they got together at the end AND we still watch Joey. But I would think less of the writers and the show if they were to break them up again off screen. I just think that for once they need to leave the two of them together.

Brian Damage
10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
I have to disagree here with you barwars and Chambers. I equate it to Cheers myself. Suppose the finale ended like I hoped and Sam and Diane ended up together. I would be really upset if on Frasier they did a storyline where they broke up. Ross and Rachel were an on again off again type of couple. But in the end, they were truly meant to be together.

spunkygirl
10-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian Damage
I have to disagree here with you barwars and Chambers. I equate it to Cheers myself. Suppose the finale ended like I hoped and Sam and Diane ended up together. I would be really upset if on Frasier they did a storyline where they broke up. Ross and Rachel were an on again off again type of couple. But in the end, they were truly meant to be together.

:yeahthat that's what I was trying to say, but you said it better ;)

barwars
10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
If Ross and Rachel do ever show up on Joey, chances are it will be that they got into a fight with the opposite one.

Not to say they'd breaking up (there's no swaying peoples opinions, and its perfectly fine that way).... it would just give a reason as to why one is there without the other.

spunkygirl
10-12-2004, 10:16 PM
If Ross and Rachel do ever show up on Joey, chances are it will be that they got into a fight with the opposite one.

Not to say they'd breaking up (there's no swaying peoples opinions, and its perfectly fine that way).... it would just give a reason as to why one is there without the other.

Now that could work, cause Ross and Rachel did seem to like to fight ;) Or if Rachel showed up alone(with Emma or whatever) they could always have Ross be away at a paleontology convention or something.

Chambers
10-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Let's just say I really really really really hope they don't do a Ross/Rachel thing with Joey and Alex. If those two do get together, it better be FUNNY. But right now it doesn't look as if they'll get together. I'm happy with the show just revolving around family and friends.

Brian Damage
10-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Well to be honest, I think that's the only reason why Alex was created. To eventually be a love interest to Joey. Then again, I think they created Roz to eventually be a love interest to Frasier and the characters evolved so much, that they ended up being good friends.

barwars
10-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Well to be honest, I think that's the only reason why Alex was created. To eventually be a love interest to Joey. Then again, I think they created Roz to eventually be a love interest to Frasier and the characters evolved so much, that they ended up being good friends.

With this they really mucked up with having her be married, unless he's a complete ass.

Brian Damage
10-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Angela Micelli
they could always have Ross be away at a paleontology convention or something.

I think that is how Ross will wind up at Joey's. A convention in LA.

barwars
10-12-2004, 10:39 PM
I think that is how Ross will wind up at Joey's. A convention in LA.

I wonder if they'll ever have Joey go back to NY (just for an episode).... the apartments would be out of the question, but maybe a return to Central Perk??

Brian Damage
10-12-2004, 10:46 PM
With this they really mucked up with having her be married, unless he's a complete ass.

We might soon find out in Joey and The Husband.

barwars
10-12-2004, 10:47 PM
We might soon find out in Joey and The Husband.

speaking of that, your typical "next episode thread" isnt up.

Brian Damage
10-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Actually it is, Joey and the Nemisis is next up on the block. Hopefully they won't screw up the air dates again.

slackermonkey
10-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Alex wasn't intended solely to be a love interest for Joey. The producers wanted to explore the relationship between a married woman and a single guy.

Chambers
10-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Alex wasn't intended solely to be a love interest for Joey. The producers wanted to explore the relationship between a married woman and a single guy.

Romantic relationship or friendship? I'm guessing the latter?

slackermonkey
10-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Friendship now, possibly love interest in the future. They want to see where it goes first instead of just randomly throwing them together.

Their relationship would probably make more sense if NBC would show the episodes in the correct order. We (and Joey) were supposed to have met her husband by now.

Joker85
10-13-2004, 06:05 PM
I wonder if they'll ever have Joey go back to NY (just for an episode).... the apartments would be out of the question, but maybe a return to Central Perk??

Nah, that'll never happen. At best I can see something like what they did with Frasier in "Cheerful Goodbyes"
Have him be in New York but not at one of the customary hangouts. Maybe Monica and Chandlers new house?