View Full Version : "The Partridge Family" vs. "The Brady Bunch"

Lamont Holmes
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Here are some facts about the actors of "THE BRADY BUNCH" & "THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY:

Shirley Jones Vs. Florence Henderson
(Shirley Partridge & Carol Brady)

Although both TV moms take care of their kids, Shirley never grounds her kids; Carol does. Both were born in 1934(Florence's birthday is 2-14 and Shirley's is 3-31) and had a very good career in stage,TV and movies.

Dave Madden vs. Robert Reed
(Reuben Kincaid & Michael Brady)

Reuben is a bachelor who helps the Partridges,while Mike is a architect who builds buildings. Dave starred in NBC's "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" while Bob starred in "The Defenders".

David Cassidy vs. Barry Williams
(Keith Partridge & Greg Brady)

The battle of these 70's teen heartthrobs is hard to explain. David is the son to the late Jack Cassidy. Barry.... well,you got to read his book "Growing Up Brady" to find out.

Susan Dey vs. Maureen McCormick
(Laurie Partridge & Marcia Brady)

One's a blonde;the other's a brunette,but they are girls with attitude! Susan started her career as a magazine model for "Seventeen" magazine. Maureen did commercials,& made a guest starring role on "Bewitched".

Danny Bonaduce vs. Christopher Knight
(Danny Partridge & Peter Brady)

Here's a fact: Chris's full name is Christopher Anton Knight,while
Danny's is Dante Daniel Bonaduce. Although when you look at their characters on TV, Danny has tousled red hair,an impish grin and loves to play the bass. Peter is a normal kid who has normal
hobbies. When Danny challenged Chris in a boxing match,it was "THE BATTLE OF THE FORMER CHILD STARS"!

Jeremy Gelbwaks/Brian Forster vs. Michael Lookinland
(Christopher Partridge & Bobby Brady)

Two actors playing the same role over one actor that's non-changable:Michael first auditioned for "The Partridge Family" 1n 1969,but he didn't make it. Jeremy auditioned for "The Brady Bunch",but alas,he didn't try out for the part. As for Brian,he gues-starred on "The Brady Bunch",and later filled the drums of Chris # 1.

Suzanne Crough vs. Susan Olsen
(Tracy Partridge & Cindy Brady)

It's difficult to say about these 2 girls: both talked with a lisp,both were cute, but it was Susan who got all the fame as Cynthia Brady. Suzanne remained playing tambourine,as usual. Later both Crough & Olsen remained friends,they never met.

I guess,the only ones out are Ann B. Davis & Eve Plumb. I'm sorry,but there's no one that has a simularity to you.

Maybe next time !!!!!!

julian bozo
06-27-2004, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lamont Holmes
[B]Here are some facts about the actors of "THE BRADY BUNCH" & "THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY:

It's difficult to say about these 2 girls: both talked with a lisp,both were cute, but it was Susan who got all the fame as Cynthia Brady. Suzanne remained playing tambourine,as usual.

Later both Crough & Olsen remained friends,they never met.

This sentence does not make sense. Are you saying that Susan and Tracey never met during their acting days and met later ,Then remained friends in real life?

Actually my favorite pig tail cutie is Anissa Jones from Family Affair.
he tragically passed away from a drug overdose in the late 70's.
:(

Lamont Holmes
06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm saying that Susan Olsen was friends with Suzanne Crough after their shows were cancelled in 1974. Although both child stars were young when they did these 2 sitcoms,Susan Olsen never played the tambourine,cowbells or triangle; Suzanne did.

Susan had a on-stage romance with Michael Lookinland,while
Suzanne had a romance with Brian Forster.

Most of the "Brady" episodes dealt with Bobby & Cindy. The "Partridge" episodes did the same with Chris & Tracy.

What else do you know about "The Brady Bunch" and "The Partridge Family"?

:)

Tweety
07-16-2005, 12:23 PM

The Bradys did their own singing... the Partridges did not (although Shriley Jones and David Cassidy actually did sing, the others just lip-synched...although they did it pretty well).

Did they use the Cowsills to dub in the singing for the remaining Partridges? I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

greelywinger
07-31-2005, 11:41 PM
The Partridge Family used the best studio singers. That's why their songs still sound good today. No they did not use The Cowsills on any of their recordings.

um
06-03-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm saying that Susan Olsen was friends with Suzanne Crough after their shows were cancelled in 1974. Although both child stars were young when they did these 2 sitcoms,Susan Olsen never played the tambourine,cowbells or triangle; Suzanne did.

Susan had a on-stage romance with Michael Lookinland,while
Suzanne had a romance with Brian Forster.

Most of the "Brady" episodes dealt with Bobby & Cindy. The "Partridge" episodes did the same with Chris & Tracy.

"Most of the Brady episodes dealt with Bobby and Cindy"?
I don't think so. The other older siblings had lots of adventures in which Bobby and Cindy were not there or well in the background.

But it definitely is not so that "The Partridge Episodes did the same with Chris and Tracy."
Chris and Tracy were essentially invisible in almost all Partridge episodes.
The plots revolved around Danny's mischief on Rubin Kinkaid and on Keith and Lori Partridge.

Also what you said about Shirley Partridge never grounding her kids, there was one episode in which she outrightly told Keith ,Lori and Danny that they are all "grounded" when she caught them all entering some ones home to "steal" Lori's diary back from her boyfriend . I think the episode's name was "The Partridge Papers"

um
06-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Here are some facts about the actors of "THE BRADY BUNCH" & "THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY:

Although both TV moms take care of their kids, Shirley never grounds her kids; Carol does. Both were born in 1934(Florence's birthday is 2-14 and Shirley's is 3-31) and had a very good career in stage,TV and movies.

Dave Madden vs. Robert Reed
(Reuben Kincaid & Michael Brady)

Reuben is a bachelor who helps the Partridges,while Mike is a architect who builds buildings. Dave starred in NBC's "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" while Bob starred in "The Defenders".

David Cassidy vs. Barry Williams
(Keith Partridge & Greg Brady)

The battle of these 70's teen heartthrobs is hard to explain. David is the son to the late Jack Cassidy. Barry.... well,you got to read his book "Growing Up Brady" to find out.

Susan Dey vs. Maureen McCormick
(Laurie Partridge & Marcia Brady)

One's a blonde;the other's a brunette,but they are girls with attitude! Susan started her career as a magazine model for "Seventeen" magazine. Maureen did commercials,& made a guest starring role on "Bewitched".

Danny Bonaduce vs. Christopher Knight
(Danny Partridge & Peter Brady)

Here's a fact: Chris's full name is Christopher Anton Knight,while
Danny's is Dante Daniel Bonaduce. Although when you look at their characters on TV, Danny has tousled red hair,an impish grin and loves to play the bass. Peter is a normal kid who has normal
hobbies. When Danny challenged Chris in a boxing match,it was "THE BATTLE OF THE FORMER CHILD STARS"!

Jeremy Gelbwaks/Brian Forster vs. Michael Lookinland
(Christopher Partridge & Bobby Brady)

Two actors playing the same role over one actor that's non-changable:Michael first auditioned for "The Partridge Family" 1n 1969,but he didn't make it. Jeremy auditioned for "The Brady Bunch",but alas,he didn't try out for the part. As for Brian,he gues-starred on "The Brady Bunch",and later filled the drums of Chris # 1.

It's difficult to say about these 2 girls: both talked with a lisp,both were cute, but it was Susan who got all the fame as Cynthia Brady. Suzanne remained playing tambourine,as usual. Later both Crough & Olsen remained friends,they never met.

I guess,the only ones out are Ann B. Davis & Eve Plumb. I'm sorry,but there's no one that has a simularity to you.

Maybe next time !!!!!!

Yeah it's a matter of opinion, but no way that "Greg Brady" is the same as "Keith Partridge."
You do name the TV characters but then describe the actors who play each one (David Cassidy and Barry Williams). Barry had some acting and singing talent, but not the same as David.
Barry, really could not find any good roles after the cancellation of The Brady Bunch. I recall that soon after the show went off the air, he played in a made-for-TV mini-series that depicted the stories told in the Bible. It was NOT a well made TV production and there were different actors in it who had once been in some or other popular TV series, but were not heard of after the particular show went off the air. I recall that Ted Cassidy ( who played "Lurch" in "The Addams Family") played in this made-for-TV mini series as "Goliath." I think Barry Williams played "Esau" who "Gave up his birthright" to his brother "Jacob." It was such a cheap TV show and apparently desperate aging actors were found to act in it.

David Cassidy, though he also could not just shake off the "Keith Partridge"image, still went on to do other things in show business such as do musical theater (Little Johnny Jones, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) and he even acted as a completely different character on TV (some police/detective show) and was nominated for an Emmy, etc. Of course he received some bad reviews for some his roles but he was still able to find avenues for his singing and acting and song-writing talents. He still had his "Pretty boy" looks into his 30s.

Barry Williams just did not have the same luck. I recall when Reality Tv was relatively new, and there was "Celebrity Fear Factor" and Barry Williams took part in a competition against Keisha Knight ( who used to play in The Cosby Show) and against Penn and Teller a well known illusionist duo. Barry lost , and I recall hat he said that he intends to continue to compete in the celebrity versions of reality-show competitions until he wins one of them and he seemed to indicate he needs to win for the money, or so as to get publicity so that perhaps he can find show-business work again.
After that I recall seeing him in a commercial in which he said nothing but just sat next to someone and just screamed. I can't recall what the commercial was for, but I recognized Barry in it. He also did another reality show in which he was competing with other celebrities to see who can get through military basic training. Barry lost again.

But also, I don't know why you don't compare Rubin Kinkaid to Alice the housekeeper?
If Mrs Partridge didnt have a husband, then it is Robert Reed who doesn't have a similarity as far as his TV character on The Brady Bunch so as to compare with a non-existent character on The Partridge Family (Mr Partridge).
I guess it goes for Eve Plumb's character too.

As far as the Brady Bunch's young cast "Singing their own songs" and The Partridge Family "Only acting as if they are singing" with the exception or Shirley Jones and David Cassidy, if you read Maureen McCormick's autobiography, "Here's The Story" she says that Chris Knight was very bad at singing and actually could not sing.
If you look the Brady episodes in which the Brady Kids are singing, you will notice that it is just as fake as when the Partridge's sing. It is lip syncing and acting for the cameras.

jehobden
06-19-2016, 01:02 AM

While Shirley may not have grounded her kids (and I think she did ground them at least once), she did spank Danny at least once, when he had an unflattering story posted about someone in the paper once.

Marvo301
06-19-2016, 06:14 PM
In her book Shirley Jones claims she was offered the role of Carol Brady and turned it down. Yet in all the books about The Brady Bunch I`ve read (including the one written by producer Sherwood Schwartz and his son Lloyd) she is not mentioned. In fact Schwartz says Joyce Bulifant was offered the role until he found out that Florence Henderson would soon be available. (She was filming the movie `Song of Norway`` at the time) He auditioned her and found out she had good chemistry with Robert Reed and so gave the role to her and had to tell Joyce she didn`t have the role after all.

Lisalu
06-23-2016, 01:04 PM
I think the main difference is that the Partridge Family had edgier story lines while the Bradys were more “squeaky clean.”

Like they both dealt with women’s lib, but the Brady plot line was Marcia trying to join the Frontier Scouts and then changing her mind after she qualified because she wanted to look at fashion magazines instead. The Partridge plot line had Keith confronting a strident women’s lib activist in a way that Greg Brady NEVER would have done. Although she ended up backing down too, there were some genuinely tense moments before that happened.

Laurie Partridge dated a tattooed biker called Snake and a guy named Lester who tried to cop a feel while Marcia Brady fantasized about being “Mrs. Marcia Dentist” or “Mrs. Desi Arnaz, Jr.”

The older generation was also treated in a similar way. On the Brady Bunch, there is a corny episode where Grandma Connie and Grandpa Brady (Henderson’s and Reed’s alter egos) get matched up by the kids. Shirley Partridge’s parents had some real issues between them and nearly broke up over a midlife crisis.

Keith, Laurie, and Danny were more complex characters than Greg, Marcia, and Peter. On the other hand, though, Tracy and Chris were throwaway characters while their counterparts on the Brady Bunch were actually part of the plots. (Danny, let’s face it, blew ALL the Brady kids out of the water. I would have loved to see Danny meets Peter in the schoolyard!)

As for the parents, Shirley was ultra-liberal and never punished any of the kids. She always said things like, “honey, I understand” no matter what they did. Mike and Carol didn’t hesitate to discipline their children (grounding Marcia from a ski trip after sneaking out of the house to mail a letter, or grounding Greg for a driving infraction.)

They had similar plots like Greg and Keith running for class president and then capitulating to the female opponent. Danny’s love interest Gloria Hickey had a crush on Keith, while Peter’s love interest Carrie (?) had a crush on Greg (but Greg was a lot nicer about it than Keith was.) The Partridges dealt with issues like runaway teens or saving the whales, while the Bradys biggest problems were Greg smoking a cigarette or stealing a high school mascot.

I like both shows, but the Partridge family was way cooler. There was always a little sexual tension on the show that was missing on the Brady Bunch. Greg was cute, but Keith really had it going on, if you know what I mean…