PDA

View Full Version : I saw the pilot for Joey tonight!


kkm
05-07-2004, 02:52 AM
How was this possible? I was flipping through channels, and it was on an obscure cable station (like one that usually plays real estate listings and infomercials) and there it was, with no commercials! Was this a pirate, or what? I live in Vancouver, Wa and the show was on channel 15 on Comcast. I can tell you what happens, if you want to know. It was a cute show, Joey is still Joey, but the writing is a bit rough.

so I am wondering - how did I happen to stumble upon this, and if it was meant to be televised, why wasn't it advertised?

wingsfan
05-07-2004, 02:55 AM
you're not the first person to tell us that you saw "joey" tonight. interesting. i get comcast down here in nashville...wonder if it came on and i missed it.

robyn (needs to study for her final that is in 6 hours)

Screenwriter
05-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Give away the pilot... I want to know if you're ****ting us!

Pavan
05-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Yes, that happens every year. They usually show pilots in April and May on obscure channels because they want viewers to see how they are. They call some viewers and tell them it's on this channel and tell them what they think of it. So be on the lookout for more. Because by May 17, they won't be on anymore, because the networks start announcing their fall line-ups that week.

tvfan0101
05-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kkm
It was a cute show, Joey is still Joey, but the writing is a bit rough.

I think that's to be expected. Most pilots are rough. Just watch the first episode of M*A*S*H[i] and notice how things are very different from the rest of the first season. And heck, rewatch the pilot for [i]Friends it is very rough. Pilots as a general rule and first seasons overall are sometimes rough because the writers don't know exactly where they're going, the cast isn't entirely together, etc, etc.

I'm rather excited about Joey, myself. I hope it lasts.

kkm
05-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by pavanbadal
. They call some viewers and tell them it's on this channel and tell them what they think of it.

Now that you say that, I do remember getting a phone call about watching some show, and I didn't remember what they were talking about. I was studying for midterms, so I just forgot about it. That must have been it. Too bad I told them I was too busy and asked them not to call back!

Dr. Thong
05-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by tvobscurities
I think that's to be expected. Most pilots are rough. Just watch the first episode of M*A*S*H[i] and notice how things are very different from the rest of the first season. And heck, rewatch the pilot for [i]Friends it is very rough. Pilots as a general rule and first seasons overall are sometimes rough because the writers don't know exactly where they're going, the cast isn't entirely together, etc, etc.

Exactly. That rule pretty much applies to any first-year of any sitcom, classic, current or otherwise.

The advantage here is the same advantage the writers had on
Frasier - they know the main character and that character has a recognition factor with Friends fans, who will most assuredly watch the first episode to check it out.

If the writers don't fill the show with strong supporting characters and good writing, however, I wouldn't give Joey much of a chance. I hope, in a way, that we don't see any Friends cameos the first year - I think Joey should stand on its own and establish itself without the help of Aniston, Cox, Kudrow, Perry and Schwimmer.

I think the fact that Drea DeMatteo (The Sopranos) and Jennifer Coolidge (A Mighty Wind) are on board is a good sign that the producers are on the right track. I wish them luck.

Mr.Rachel1984
05-09-2004, 10:05 PM
hi im new i was looking for a good friends board and voila! I found this one!

So could someone who saw the pilot go a little more in depth about how it was? what'd u like what didnt u like etc chemistry the set the theme music..infoooo i need something to look foward to in the fall

TJL
05-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by pavanbadal
Yes, that happens every year. They usually show pilots in April and May on obscure channels because they want viewers to see how they are. They call some viewers and tell them it's on this channel and tell them what they think of it. So be on the lookout for more. Because by May 17, they won't be on anymore, because the networks start announcing their fall line-ups that week.

Man I wish they would call me. There was nothing good on all day today!

;)

jon123
05-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Thong

I think the fact that Drea DeMatteo (The Sopranos) and Jennifer Coolidge (A Mighty Wind) are on board is a good sign that the producers are on the right track. I wish them luck.

Who is Jennifer Coolidge (Stifler's mom on American Pie, and of course a MILF) going to play?

Mr.Rachel1984
05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
she plays joey's new agent from what i've heard and yeah the show does seem to be on the right track.


bump for more info

peter may
07-24-2004, 01:20 PM
just finished downloading it from Bit Torrent. Its not bad, about average I'd say.:)

I thought Ashley Scott was pretty good, dont understand the networks problem with her?